Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DallasGator, gatorJ, Google [Bot], Maillot Jaune, MSNbot Media, ngamtngator, Sasquatch Gator and 58 guests

Football LOSS will make the 2013 team better or

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Football LOSS will make the 2013 team better or

Postby 55GATOR » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:59 pm

worse. I wil say it will make them better. I just could not seem losing to Strong so badly. I still think the coaches are to blame. Wow it looked like they expected a walk in the park. They got their heads handed to them.
So we have 8 months to figure it out. Maybe, dust off of the ole Spurrier play book and see what's INSIDE!
55GATOR
Freshman Gator

Re: Football LOSS will make the 2013 team better or

Postby Homer J » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:11 pm

We will be just fine next year. We will have a strong O-line (and deep) and a stable of RBs. Our defense may not be as good because of the depth but we have had no turnover in the coaching staff so we are ahead of the game there.
Homer J
Head Ball Coach

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:38 pm

55GATOR wrote:worse. I wil say it will make them better. I just could not seem losing to Strong so badly. I still think the coaches are to blame. Wow it looked like they expected a walk in the park. They got their heads handed to them.
So we have 8 months to figure it out. Maybe, dust off of the ole Spurrier play book and see what's INSIDE!

You want the University of Florida to win. I know that. And I appreciate your optimistic outlook. But I respectfully disagree with your assessment.

You say that the coaches "expected a walk in the park" against Louisville. I don't think nothing could be further from the truth. That is not a head college football coach's mentality. College football coaches have seen it all. They, more than anyone, know that a team can upset another team. I think you may be able to blame the coaches for not getting through to the players. But I think this is as much on the players as on the coaches. Maybe you and I have just two different ways of looking at the world.

Another statement of yours I disagree with is when you say "Maybe dust off the ole Spurrier playbook and see what's INSIDE." There are a lot of Florida fans that want to do this, meaning go back to the days of Spurrier and the Funn-n-Gun. This is not going to happen.

Why can't some of our fans understand that the 1990s Spurrier style of offense is the only way that can win games? Saban is winning at Alabama and he is not running the Fun-n-Gun. Why can't Florida win without the Fun-n-Gun? Maybe you have a point. And it will grant you that you might. And it is this. Maybe the culture of the University of Florida is to throw the ball first, run a more finesse type offense, hang 50 of the Louisiana directional schools.

I had a post earlier in the season where I said that it would be difficult for Muschamp at UF because he is coaching "against the grain" meaning he is not going along with the prevailing football culture at UF. Maybe there is something to this. For a program to be a consistent champion I believe that the coaches and players have to be on the same page. That is obvious. But fans are also included in the equation. I just believe that if we had run a wide open offense with a lot of vertical passing, and then had gotten blown out by Louisville in the Sugar Bowl that there would not be as much bickering as there is now because we ran a more conservative offense during the year.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby Beauregard » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:49 pm

I had a post earlier in the season where I said that it would be difficult for Muschamp at UF because he is coaching "against the grain" meaning he is not going along with the prevailing football culture at UF. Maybe there is something to this. For a program to be a consistent champion I believe that the coaches and players have to be on the same page. That is obvious. But fans are also included in the equation. I just believe that if we had run a wide open offense with a lot of vertical passing, and then had gotten blown out by Louisville in the Sugar Bowl that there would not be as much bickering as there is now because we ran a more conservative offense during the year.

You could be right about this.
Beauregard
Freshman Gator

Postby scmike » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:57 pm

Offense needs to vastly improve, or next year will be a rough ride.
Better beat UGA as a minimum!
scmike
Senior Gator

Postby rogdochar » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:15 pm

If our run game was good, yet we need to improve on our 116 ranked
offense, then it's the pass game needing the vast improvement. Folks
aren't longing for a Spurrier Fun and Gun imitation, just a competent
"drive'em crazy" pass attack. Remember, that Fun and Gun used more
run plays than pass plays; it's just that the passing was so effective at
big gains ... with defenders chasing after WRs. Always good to see.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby scmike » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:05 pm

Yep, offense sucks again in 2012. What is it, 3 years in a row with one each under the tutelage of dumba$$io, fata$$io and Pease? In other words, Pease has not improved the offense. Thank God we have great defensive coaches. JD is easily among the worst QBs in the SEC. Would not surprise me if Brisset does not flourish in another program which has a certified QB coach. If he turns into another Cam, the Gator Nation will go ballistic.
Wonder what will happen in 2013.
Happy New Year and Go Gators!
scmike
Senior Gator

Postby WestSideGata » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:45 pm

Strong running game, better control of offense after year in system but only serviceable. Lots of rushing, with some trickery. I think more than anything keeping Durkin will be big as we might have some special teams that needs to be respected, to offset the limited offensive firepower. They will be limited, but should beat people up, which I kind of liked for a change this year.
WestSideGata
True Gator

Postby WestSideGata » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:47 pm

I'll tell you one player I can't wait to see next year is Antonio Morrison. Put some weight on that frame & the dude is gonna be sick!
WestSideGata
True Gator

Postby CapitalGator02 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:48 pm

We used 2011's losses as fuel for this season and I'd say it paid off. I'm not worried about motivation for next season, just that we fill in the gaps that will be left on defense.
CapitalGator02
Head Ball Coach

Postby #1GATOR FAN » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:46 pm

I'm sure every sports team in history says a loss will help them later on down the road.

I think for sure we're gonna need our offense to step up much more in 2013 as our defense should take a hit. I keep hearing every year our O-line is gonna be better or be a strength but it never seems to, but if it does we should be fine as a good O-line makes everything else that much better...
#1GATOR FAN
Heisman Gator

Postby 8802gator » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:56 pm

Coaches want to win, but if they can't they want a loss that gives them an oppurtunity to teach. That is what Muschamp got. Last year in the bowl game Uf needed a win for some hope for the future. A win this year would have been great, and as a fan this loss will sting for awhile, but it wasn't nesscessary like last year. This team learned more from this loss than they would have from a win.
"I want to thank God for makin' me a Gator" - Chandler Parsons
8802gator
Heisman Gator

Postby Swamp Queen » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:02 pm

At least Okeechobee Joe has some sense.
lizard84 wrote:maybe swamp queen and sas deserve each other.

DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
Swamp Queen
Bull Gator

Postby 55GATOR » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:08 pm

I could dust off my ole play book and do better than the gator...coaching 101..why not ask each player what THEY are good at see where that takes you..OK? Okeechobee Joe rocks!
55GATOR
Freshman Gator

Postby Swamp Queen » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:41 am

55GATOR wrote:I could dust off my ole play book and do better than the gator...coaching 101..why not ask each player what THEY are good at see where that takes you..OK? Okeechobee Joe rocks!

Send your resume to Foley. We'll look forward to seeing your welcome press conference by the end of the week.
lizard84 wrote:maybe swamp queen and sas deserve each other.

DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
Swamp Queen
Bull Gator

Postby NVGator » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:44 am

55GATOR wrote:worse. I wil say it will make them better. I just could not seem losing to Strong so badly. I still think the coaches are to blame. Wow it looked like they expected a walk in the park. They got their heads handed to them.

OK.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby UGator » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:41 am

It seems the general consensus is that we didn't show up! Our coaches commented before the game that the team practiced well, were focused, and then laid the biggest egg besides the GA game.

I commend Strong for preparing his team, and we apparently thought that Louisville would lay down and just play so thankful to be in the Sugar Bowl. They were hungry and we were part of the mighty SEC!

WRONG!

I remember painful memories before Spurrier when we were favored to win and lost without any logical reasons other than we were big headed and overconfident. Again, WRONG!

Our offense reminds me of the 80's when we had running with Emmitt and hardly any passing. How could we have digressed to this point? Any WR recruit might think they would have no trouble breaking into our lineup and probably won't. We just need as many as possible.

The Gators need an offense and hope this painful memory sticks in the craw of our coaches throughout 2013.
UGator
Freshman Gator

Postby phideltgator » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:17 am

If your child was a standout wide receiver in hs where would you send him?
phideltgator
Head Ball Coach

Postby snarlwhal » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:36 am

LOL at everyone calling for the fun'n'gun... Spurrier doesn't even run that offense anymore because he knows how much the SEC has changed and has adapted
snarlwhal
Baby Gator

Return to Gatorsports Forum