Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 31 guests

Best three-year runs of the past 20 years

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Best three-year runs of the past 20 years

Postby Class of '78 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:45 am

Warning: Offseason thread. :lol:

Out of boredom, I did some research on the most successful three-year runs, and here's what I came up with.

In chronological order:

1. Nebraska 1993-1995 (36-1)
The Cornhuskers won titles in 1994 and 1995, the latter 62-24 over Florida in the Fiesta Bowl.

2. Florida 1994-1996 (34-4-1)
Spurrier's Gators went 10-2-1 in 1994, 12-1 in 1995 (the loss to Nebraska in the title game) and won the school's first title in 1996, beating FSU in the Sugar Bowl 52-20.

3. Florida State 1997-1999 (35-3)
The Noles finished #3 in 1997 and 1998 and then won their second title in 1999, beating Virginia Tech.

4. Miami 2000-2002 (35-2)
The Canes sandwiched #2 rankings around a title in 2001, beating Nebraska 37-14 in the Rose Bowl.

5. Southern California 2004-2006 (36-3)
The Trojans won the title in 2004, lost to Texas in a thriller the following season and finished #4 in 2006. The wins were later vacated due to sanctions brought about over Reggie Bush.

6. Florida 2006-2008 (35-6)
UF went 13-1 in 2006 and 2008, winning titles both seasons, and sagged to a #12 ranking in Tebow's sophomore Heisman season.

7. Alabama 2009-2011 (36-4)
Titles for Saban in an undefeated 2009 and 2011, the latter coming in a rematch with LSU following a regular-season loss, 10-3 in 2010.

Which three-year stretch not involving Nebraska would you vote for?
Last edited by Class of '78 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Class of '78
Bull Gator
 
Posts: 6549
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:43 pm

Re: Best three-year runs of the past 20 years

Postby NitroGator » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:21 am

Class of '78 wrote:Warning: Offseason thread. :lol:

Out of boredom, I did some research on the most successful three-year runs, and here's what I came up with.

In chronological order:

1. Nebraska 1993-1995 (36-1)
The Cornhuskers won titles in 1994 and 1995, the latter 62-24 over Florida in the Fiesta Bowl.

2. Florida 1994-1996 (34-4-1)
Spurrier's Gators went 10-2-1 in 1993, 12-1 in 1994 (the loss to Nebraska in the title game) and won the school's first title in 1996, beating FSU in the Sugar Bowl 52-20.

3. Florida State 1997-1999 (35-3)
The Noles finished #3 in 1997 and 1998 and then won their second title in 1999, beating Virginia Tech.

4. Miami 2000-2002 (35-2)
The Canes sandwiched #2 rankings around a title in 2001, beating Nebraska 37-14 in the Rose Bowl.

5. Southern California 2004-2006 (36-3)
The Trojans won the title in 2004, lost to Texas in a thriller the following season and finished #4 in 2006. The wins were later vacated due to sanctions brought about over Reggie Bush.

6. Florida 2006-2008 (35-6)
UF went 13-1 in 2006 and 2008, winning titles both seasons, and sagged to a #12 ranking in Tebow's sophomore Heisman season.

7. Alabama 2009-2011 (36-4)
Titles for Saban in an undefeated 2009 and 2011, the latter coming in a rematch with LSU following a regular-season loss, 10-3 in 2010.

Which three-year stretch not involving Nebraska would you vote for?


Great research...hard to argue with any of these teams. Just a question here, and I have thought about this some; how would UF (94-96) and Nebraska (93-95) have done in the current BCS system? No doubt these were all great teams.

Based on record and competition, Alabama.
Based on record and domination (and blowing the other teams out), UF (94-96), Miami and F$U.
Based on innovation, UF.
Based on pay, USC (I think we all agree that USC was dirtier than just Reggie Bush)
Based on fun to watch, UF 1990-2001 (I know, I know, not a category, but somewhere in there is the 94-96 squads).

Anyways, that is my .02 cents worth.
User avatar
NitroGator
Redshirt Gator
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:33 pm

Re: Best three-year runs of the past 20 years

Postby Beauregard » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:58 pm

Which three-year stretch not involving Nebraska would you vote for?


I get tired of hearing about the Nebraska teams of mid '90s.

First of all, those '93-'95 Nebraska teams (while great) played in the Big 8 conference (which was jokingly referred to as the Big 2/Little 6 for years) during one of the worst stretches in Oklahoma history. As some many know, Nebraska and Oklahoma battled for the Big 8 championship damn near every single year (usually beating everyone else in the conference by ridiculous margins) throughout the '70s and '80s. But the Sooners fell on some very hard times when Barry Swizer resigned under pressure following the '88 season and OU spent the '90s in obscurity. So the team that was responsible for many of the 1-2 losses Nebraska would have in those days was completely out of the picture.

Aside from a couple of decent Colorado teams, there wasn't anyone on the schedule to worry about with Oklahoma in turmoil. And there certainly was not a venue to play in that was as imposing as what you see in the SEC. Plus, there was an eleven game schedule, no conference championship (which cost them a shot in '96), and no major non-conference opponents. It was smooth sailing into the bowl season.

In '93, Nebraska lost to FSU in the Orange Bowl. In '94, they squeeked by the last burning remnants of the U before it completely turned to ashes and due to bowl ties avoided playing Penn State. In '95, they dominated a very good Florida team. But really, that UF group was just a bad matchup for Nebraska's physicality and (on top of that) did not play well. IIRC, Florida was leading at the end of the first quarter when a holding penalty pushed UF back to the GL which led to a safety that really opened the flood gates for Nebraska. UF was in for a beating anyway, but I think the lopsided score was more of an anomaly.

Don't get me wrong. Those Nebraska teams were phenomenal and I love the physical and option style approach they employed. But folks seem to only think of that Fiesta Bowl game when remembering those teams and think of them as superhuman. Like if any team in CFB history stepped on the field with them it would be an Ivan Drago-style beatdown.

Those teams played one (maybe two) games a year against good competition (with an awful lot of cupcakes mixed in) and it's a lot easier to play your best in those games when that is the case.
Beauregard
Freshman Gator
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Best three-year runs of the past 20 years

Postby Gator-In-Lake » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:35 pm

NitroGator wrote:
Class of '78 wrote:Warning: Offseason thread. :lol:

Out of boredom, I did some research on the most successful three-year runs, and here's what I came up with.

In chronological order:

1. Nebraska 1993-1995 (36-1)
The Cornhuskers won titles in 1994 and 1995, the latter 62-24 over Florida in the Fiesta Bowl.

2. Florida 1994-1996 (34-4-1)
Spurrier's Gators went 10-2-1 in 1993, 12-1 in 1994 (the loss to Nebraska in the title game) and won the school's first title in 1996, beating FSU in the Sugar Bowl 52-20.

3. Florida State 1997-1999 (35-3)
The Noles finished #3 in 1997 and 1998 and then won their second title in 1999, beating Virginia Tech.

4. Miami 2000-2002 (35-2)
The Canes sandwiched #2 rankings around a title in 2001, beating Nebraska 37-14 in the Rose Bowl.

5. Southern California 2004-2006 (36-3)
The Trojans won the title in 2004, lost to Texas in a thriller the following season and finished #4 in 2006. The wins were later vacated due to sanctions brought about over Reggie Bush.

6. Florida 2006-2008 (35-6)
UF went 13-1 in 2006 and 2008, winning titles both seasons, and sagged to a #12 ranking in Tebow's sophomore Heisman season.

7. Alabama 2009-2011 (36-4)
Titles for Saban in an undefeated 2009 and 2011, the latter coming in a rematch with LSU following a regular-season loss, 10-3 in 2010.

Which three-year stretch not involving Nebraska would you vote for?


Great research...hard to argue with any of these teams. Just a question here, and I have thought about this some; how would UF (94-96) and Nebraska (93-95) have done in the current BCS system? No doubt these were all great teams.

Based on record and competition, Alabama.
Based on record and domination (and blowing the other teams out), UF (94-96), Miami and F$U.
Based on innovation, UF.
Based on pay, USC (I think we all agree that USC was dirtier than just Reggie Bush)
Based on fun to watch, UF 1990-2001 (I know, I know, not a category, but somewhere in there is the 94-96 squads).

Anyways, that is my .02 cents worth.


Good post. Definitely worth more than two one-hundreds of a cent. I'd say .02 dollars is about right. :)
User avatar
Gator-In-Lake
Redshirt Gator
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:08 pm

Re: Best three-year runs of the past 20 years

Postby #1GATOR FAN » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:42 pm

I hate Bama but the run they are on maybe the best in history.

Out of just the 3 year thing I'm not sure
User avatar
#1GATOR FAN
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 1391
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: Best three-year runs of the past 20 years

Postby Zambo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:46 pm

We will probably all be pushing up daisies before another school does a basketball/football championship sammich again. Those are by far the two biggest college sports and we owned 3 championships in two years. Impossible to top.

Another one, not related to a three year stretch, that I like to hit my nole rivals up with is that they will go to their graves never knowing what it is like to beat us for a national championship. That is a special kind of pleasure that ONLY WE get to enjoy. Not them.
GET A GRIP!
User avatar
Zambo
Bull Gator
 
Posts: 6123
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:01 pm

Re: Best three-year runs of the past 20 years

Postby GulfG8r » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:48 pm

Beauregard wrote:
Which three-year stretch not involving Nebraska would you vote for?


I get tired of hearing about the Nebraska teams of mid '90s.

First of all, those '93-'95 Nebraska teams (while great) played in the Big 8 conference (which was jokingly referred to as the Big 2/Little 6 for years) during one of the worst stretches in Oklahoma history. As some many know, Nebraska and Oklahoma battled for the Big 8 championship damn near every single year (usually beating everyone else in the conference by ridiculous margins) throughout the '70s and '80s. But the Sooners fell on some very hard times when Barry Swizer resigned under pressure following the '88 season and OU spent the '90s in obscurity. So the team that was responsible for many of the 1-2 losses Nebraska would have in those days was completely out of the picture.

Aside from a couple of decent Colorado teams, there wasn't anyone on the schedule to worry about with Oklahoma in turmoil. And there certainly was not a venue to play in that was as imposing as what you see in the SEC. Plus, there was an eleven game schedule, no conference championship (which cost them a shot in '96), and no major non-conference opponents. It was smooth sailing into the bowl season.

In '93, Nebraska lost to FSU in the Orange Bowl. In '94, they squeeked by the last burning remnants of the U before it completely turned to ashes and due to bowl ties avoided playing Penn State. In '95, they dominated a very good Florida team. But really, that UF group was just a bad matchup for Nebraska's physicality and (on top of that) did not play well. IIRC, Florida was leading at the end of the first quarter when a holding penalty pushed UF back to the GL which led to a safety that really opened the flood Gators for Nebraska. UF was in for a beating anyway, but I think the lopsided score was more of an anomaly.

Don't get me wrong. Those Nebraska teams were phenomenal and I love the physical and option style approach they employed. But folks seem to only think of that Fiesta Bowl game when remembering those teams and think of them as superhuman. Like if any team in CFB history stepped on the field with them it would be an Ivan Drago-style beatdown.

Those teams played one (maybe two) games a year against good competition (with an awful lot of cupcakes mixed in) and it's a lot easier to play your best in those games when that is the case.


Be tired all you want. '78 didn't do them justice by cutting this off at 3-year spans. If he'd included 1997 and done a 4-year span evaluation, Nebraska would win it hands down. They won 3 NCs in that 4 year span.

Under the rules of this thread, which stipulate "other than Nebraska", I vote for the 1994-1996 Florida Gators. Why wouldn't I?
User avatar
GulfG8r
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 1666
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Best three-year runs of the past 20 years

Postby Beauregard » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:41 pm

Be tired all you want. '78 didn't do them justice by cutting this off at 3-year spans. If he'd included 1997 and done a 4-year span evaluation, Nebraska would win it hands down. They won 3 NCs in that 4 year span.


And how many national championship caliber teams were there in the Big 8/12 in the '93-'97 range? Zero. Arizona State (the only good non-conference opponent they played in those years) beat them 19-0 in '96 and then an 8-5 Texas team beat them in the Big 12 championship game. One tough road game and a conference championship caused two losses that probably wouldn't have happened in the other years.

In '97, it took overtime to beat a 7-5 Missouri team on the road. That's not exactly like going to Bryant-Denny or Jordan-Hare or the Swamp or other SEC venues.

And then with this being pre-BCS era they avoided undefeated Penn State in '94 and undefeated Michigan in '97. Won the titles without having to go through them like they would have to today. Michigan was #1 in '97 going into the bowl season, but Nebraska got the Coaches Poll with Osborne heading out the door.

Great teams, no question. But damn, it was a cupcake conference, no big-time non-conference wins, and they dodged the best competition in the bowl season in two of their three championship years.
Beauregard
Freshman Gator
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Best three-year runs of the past 20 years

Postby Gatorphan » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:08 pm

It has to be between Nebraska, Bama and 06-08 UF. 2 National titles in three years is the common denominator. The other teams shouldn't be on the same list.
"Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Image
User avatar
Gatorphan
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 2094
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Best three-year runs of the past 20 years

Postby law98gator » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:10 pm

Three straight (actually four) SEC championships is the most impressive achievement on that list.

Many of those teams don't even have a back to back much less a back to back to back to back.
Last edited by law98gator on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
User avatar
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend
 
Posts: 16844
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: Best three-year runs of the past 20 years

Postby Maillot Jaune » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:19 pm

Zambo wrote:We will probably all be pushing up daisies before another school does a basketball/football championship sammich again. Those are by far the two biggest college sports and we owned 3 championships in two years. Impossible to top.

Another one, not related to a three year stretch, that I like to hit my nole rivals up with is that they will go to their graves never knowing what it is like to beat us for a national championship. That is a special kind of pleasure that ONLY WE get to enjoy. Not them.



Another one, not related to a three year stretch, that I like to hit my nole rivals up with is that they will go to their graves never knowing what it is like to beat us for a national championship. That is a special kind of pleasure that ONLY WE get to enjoy. Not them.

Ah yes, the coupon with no expiration date. Beating one of your biggest rivals with all on the line. Could it ever be better?
User avatar
Maillot Jaune
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 2022
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: Best three-year runs of the past 20 years

Postby I Have No Friends :( » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:20 pm

Zambo wrote:Another one, not related to a three year stretch, that I like to hit my nole rivals up with is that they will go to their graves never knowing what it is like to beat us for a national championship. That is a special kind of pleasure that ONLY WE get to enjoy. Not them.


+1 Watching the replay of that game never gets old :cool:
gatorpe wrote:Urb is a low life lying lover jilting big ten dBAG.

Image
Image
User avatar
I Have No Friends :(
Bull Gator
 
Posts: 6151
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:57 pm
Location: Where nobody is looking

Re: Best three-year runs of the past 20 years

Postby Gouryella » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:41 pm

That Miami team in 01 was a semi-pro team.
User avatar
Gouryella
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 2326
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Best three-year runs of the past 20 years

Postby Beauregard » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:44 pm

Ah yes, the coupon with no expiration date. Beating one of your biggest rivals with all on the line. Could it ever be better?


Going undefeated? Knowing that no one you played had your number? A totally pristine, unblemished record? The way "un" in undefeated and "oh" when describing the loss column just kinda rolls off your tongue after the season is in the books and belongs to history?

How would you compare it to that?
Beauregard
Freshman Gator
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Best three-year runs of the past 20 years

Postby Class of '78 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:44 pm

GulfG8r wrote:'78 didn't do them justice by cutting this off at 3-year spans. If he'd included 1997 and done a 4-year span evaluation, Nebraska would win it hands down. They won 3 NCs in that 4 year span.

Under the rules of this thread, which stipulate "other than Nebraska", I vote for the 1994-1996 Florida Gators. Why wouldn't I?


I purposely chose three-year spans because the modern game, due to the money involved for schools and the intense rush for recruits, no longer lends itself to dynasties such as was the case 40 and 50 years ago when Oklahoma and Notre Dame ruled the landscape.

Nowadays, it's extremely difficult for any program to maintain a championship level of excellence for very long, therefore I was looking for those teams that had hit their stride and carried it for a few years. I think the ones I listed helped identify the trend I'm speaking to, teams with staffs that could coach and recruit with equal success, and which found that perfect rhythm that enabled them to achieve a high level of success over three seasons. Unless you're nailing it consistently, like Saban at Alabama, it's awfully hard to carry that over a longer period.

I glanced the posts but I don't recall much, if anything, being said about 2000-2002 Miami, which, in my opinion, may have been the best of the bunch. And, for me, that's saying something because I hate Miami more than any other UF rival.

But think about it. The 2001 champion Canes, who went 12-0, sported a roster that included the likes of:

Kellen Winslow
Jeremy Shockey
Clinton Portis
Andre Johnson
William Joseph
Ed Reed
Phillip Buchanon
Willis McGahee
Sean Taylor

That was one helluva team.
User avatar
Class of '78
Bull Gator
 
Posts: 6549
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:43 pm

Re: Best three-year runs of the past 20 years

Postby Beauregard » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:04 pm

I glanced the posts but I don't recall much, if anything, being said about 2000-2002 Miami, which, in my opinion, may have been the best of the bunch.


I'm on that wagon if we're talking about talent. Shouldn't have lost a game in those three seasons.
Beauregard
Freshman Gator
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Best three-year runs of the past 20 years

Postby Gouryella » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:18 pm

When you add that extra year though it narrows it to Nebraska and Bama.
User avatar
Gouryella
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 2326
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Best three-year runs of the past 20 years

Postby Maillot Jaune » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:33 pm

Beauregard wrote:
Ah yes, the coupon with no expiration date. Beating one of your biggest rivals with all on the line. Could it ever be better?


Going undefeated? Knowing that no one you played had your number? A totally pristine, unblemished record? The way "un" in undefeated and "oh" when describing the loss column just kinda rolls off your tongue after the season is in the books and belongs to history?

How would you compare it to that?


Beating a rival, no doubt. Especially when the lone loss was to that same team on their field....only to avenge it with a beat down of epic proportions for all the marbles. In essentially rendered it the "loss that wasn't." Glorious.
User avatar
Maillot Jaune
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 2022
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: Best three-year runs of the past 20 years

Postby BSJGator » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:48 pm

Gator-In-Lake wrote:
NitroGator wrote:
Class of '78 wrote:Warning: Offseason thread. :lol:

Out of boredom, I did some research on the most successful three-year runs, and here's what I came up with.

In chronological order:

1. Nebraska 1993-1995 (36-1)
The Cornhuskers won titles in 1994 and 1995, the latter 62-24 over Florida in the Fiesta Bowl.

2. Florida 1994-1996 (34-4-1)
Spurrier's Gators went 10-2-1 in 1993, 12-1 in 1994 (the loss to Nebraska in the title game) and won the school's first title in 1996, beating FSU in the Sugar Bowl 52-20.

3. Florida State 1997-1999 (35-3)
The Noles finished #3 in 1997 and 1998 and then won their second title in 1999, beating Virginia Tech.

4. Miami 2000-2002 (35-2)
The Canes sandwiched #2 rankings around a title in 2001, beating Nebraska 37-14 in the Rose Bowl.

5. Southern California 2004-2006 (36-3)
The Trojans won the title in 2004, lost to Texas in a thriller the following season and finished #4 in 2006. The wins were later vacated due to sanctions brought about over Reggie Bush.

6. Florida 2006-2008 (35-6)
UF went 13-1 in 2006 and 2008, winning titles both seasons, and sagged to a #12 ranking in Tebow's sophomore Heisman season.

7. Alabama 2009-2011 (36-4)
Titles for Saban in an undefeated 2009 and 2011, the latter coming in a rematch with LSU following a regular-season loss, 10-3 in 2010.

Which three-year stretch not involving Nebraska would you vote for?


Great research...hard to argue with any of these teams. Just a question here, and I have thought about this some; how would UF (94-96) and Nebraska (93-95) have done in the current BCS system? No doubt these were all great teams.

Based on record and competition, Alabama.
Based on record and domination (and blowing the other teams out), UF (94-96), Miami and F$U.
Based on innovation, UF.
Based on pay, USC (I think we all agree that USC was dirtier than just Reggie Bush)
Based on fun to watch, UF 1990-2001 (I know, I know, not a category, but somewhere in there is the 94-96 squads).

Anyways, that is my .02 cents worth.


Good post. Definitely worth more than two one-hundreds of a cent. I'd say .02 dollars is about right. :)


Damn! You are picky.... :lol:
User avatar
BSJGator
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 2289
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:58 pm
Location: Deep in Assnole Territory

Re: Best three-year runs of the past 20 years

Postby Jbossgator9 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:54 am

Do a 4 year span and what UF did was REALLY impressive:

93-96 - 45-6-1, 4 Straight SEC TITLES, 1 National Title, 1 Heisman Trophy

06-09 - 48-7, 2 SEC Titles, 2 National Titles, 1 Heisman Trophy

Let's see how new guy Beaurcrat Beaurguard disputes this or tries to diminish UF's accomplishments like he seems to keep doing. Go Gators!!
Jbossgator9
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 1402
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:24 am

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum

cron