Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ATXGator, Durty South Swamp, Google Adsense [Bot], Jabberdave, Sasquatch Gator, Swamp Queen and 46 guests

Remember Terry Dean

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Remember Terry Dean

Postby rleaton4880 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:38 pm

Dean was a Heisman contender at QB before he threw a couple of interceptions in a game against Auburn.....Spurrier replaced him during the game and then for the rest of the season. It worked out pretty well as the replacement was Danny Wuerffel......Perhaps Muschamp could take a lesson and look at Brissett taking over for Driscoll.
rleaton4880
True Gator

Re: Remember Terry Dean

Postby GatorKen » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:45 pm

Driskel isn't much better than Brissett. But I think he's better. I wanted Brissett to have a shot but just seems he's not an upgrade. And neither player should ever be whispered in the same line as Danny.
oxrageous wrote:Ken and I are now officially best friends.

I want an OC with the mentality of a High School Jr on Prom night rather than a guy who's been married 20 years and has 4 children.
GatorKen
Bull Gator

Postby Homer J » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:46 pm

Great, another thread about this subject.

Please go back and look at all of JBs throws over the last two years and tell us what makes you think he will be better than Jeff.
Homer J
Head Ball Coach

Postby Maillot Jaune » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:47 pm

SOS yanked Danny too.
Maillot Jaune
Heisman Gator

Postby Swamp Queen » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:51 pm

:facepalm:

Poise Machine for Heisman 2013!
lizard84 wrote:maybe swamp queen and sas deserve each other.

DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
Swamp Queen
Bull Gator

Postby NavetG8r » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:55 pm

GatorKen wrote:Driskel isn't much better than Brissett. But I think he's better. I wanted Brissett to have a shot but just seems he's not an upgrade. And neither player should ever be whispered in the same line as Danny.

I agree and a LOT of experts thought both of these QBs were going to be high value. They had to have seen something in their play in high school to think that. Which takes me back to, who is coaching our QBs? Because neither of them seems to be making any progress at all, and they're both going to be Juniors. By now, one or both should be getting used to college defenses and be making better reads and throws. JD throws behind his receivers consistently. JB throws short consistently. Someone needs to get these guys more practice throwing to some moving targets and hitting them in stride. Right now, neither of them can do it more than once or twice a game.
DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
NavetG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby law98gator » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:59 pm

Pease and Joker have made SEC QBs and WRs, some who had reasonably good success, especially for Kintucky, out of 2 star leftovers.

Surely they can do the same for us with much more talented players to start with.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby NavetG8r » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:05 pm

law98gator wrote:Pease and Joker have made SEC QBs and WRs, some who had reasonably good success, especially for Kintucky, out of 2 star leftovers.

Surely they can do the same for us with much more talented players to start with.

We can hope Law, but so far these two haven't really shown much in the way of progress. And I really wish one of them would. I like them both for wanting to be Gators and being willing to compete.
NavetG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby rogdochar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:16 pm

Pease is listed as coaching everything offensive -- the OC, the WRs,
and the QBs ?

We have a surplus of negative evidence that we must have a
"useless" QB coach. This fact will certainly ruin both JD and JB
NFL chances, along with making our passing attack as rank as
116th in the nation, for as long as he isn't replaced by one that
has progressed some H.S. QBs to CFB players.

Have we kept the guy that helped Brantley so much ?
Please, make our strength and conditioning coach QB coach.
Or get back some on Louisville by swiping Watson who "tutored"
Bridgewater: who scored out of H.S as below J.D. and J.B.and
probably several others.

There are 16 sophomore QBs that averaged 240 YPG passing.
That figure would get you in the top 50 QBs performance. Are
there 50-60 schools out there more attractive to work at than
Florida ? The CEO part of being an HC needs to cut in here.

Again, let Jeff Dilman fire (and hire?).
Pease is OC and WR coach and QB coach... of the 116th ranked offense.
Last edited by rogdochar on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Jbossgator9 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:33 pm

In 1993 Wuerffel and Dean both played and it was Dean who started in the 1993 SEC title game and WON the MVP of that game as the Gators BEAT Bama 28-13. In 1994 Wuerffel and Dean both played and Spurrier ended up going with Wuerffel the final few games and he would help lead UF to victory in the 1994 SEC title game vs Bama again, 24-23. This history lesson has concluded and is sponsored by JBossgator9. Go Gators!!
Jbossgator9
Heisman Gator

Postby GatorTAG » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:36 pm

Have any of you guys really watch our offensive line? (I stress offensive). They were getting continually beaten by Louisville's 4 man front. I don't care if you stick Tom Freaking Brady back there, he's going to look bad. Driskel's had zero pass protection this year. The coaches knew this that's why they went with the more mobile QB.

Louisville's center was a Remington Award finalist. None of our linemen are even all SEC. They're a joke. Nixon was a five star and the #1 tackle in the country. He's been terrible for 4 years. Same with Wilson. I'm not even going to mention Patchan. All of these guys were top recruits and not one has even made an all SEC team. Halapio, Green, and even Harrison are just guys.

I can't wait to see what transfers Garcia and Moore along with 320 lb. plus road graders Dunker, Brown, and RoJo and a year's worth of growth to Humphries adds to our offense next year. I'd be happy to start every one of those guys over anyone from this year.
Swamp Queen wrote:I miss basketball just so you negative tards couldn't complain as much.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby GatorKen » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:39 pm

law98gator wrote:Pease and Joker have made SEC QBs and WRs, some who had reasonably good success, especially for Kintucky, out of 2 star leftovers.

+1

Driskel showed a lot of improvement for the first few weeks of the year. Don't know what happened to him but he was really progressing to the point where it looked like he might be one of the top QBs come the end of the season. Then he went all french and threw it in full speed reverse.
oxrageous wrote:Ken and I are now officially best friends.

I want an OC with the mentality of a High School Jr on Prom night rather than a guy who's been married 20 years and has 4 children.
GatorKen
Bull Gator

Postby Zambo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:43 pm

There are no Heisman Trophy QBs coming out of high school. All they can do is show up with the tools, work hard, and try to get to that level.

I was pretty big on Driskel at the beginning of this year because his natural gifts (cannon arm, speedy legs) give him the potential to be great. And he looked like he was progressing. Somehow it all started going backwards as the year went on. I try to keep in mind that the QB and receivers aren't the only ones who get better as the year goes on....opposing defenses learn and progress as well...but some of JD's decisions are very Brantley-esque I'm afraid.

Chris Leak was a much better QB, but he was frustrating to me in much the same way....lots of promise as a youngster but never really progressed into a great QB like most of us thought. At least his average day as a young QB was still head and shoulders above anything we've had since Tebow left. And really, that is enough to win a championship obviously....just play fundamentally sound football and get the rock to the right guy.

JD is only a sophomore in a huge spotlight. Maybe this offseason the lightbulb will come on or I have no doubt he will be pressed to keep his job. I doubt there are many stud QBs out there who would be afraid to compete with him if this is the best he can do.
GET A GRIP!
Zambo
Bull Gator

Postby rogdochar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:44 pm

If the new incoming highly praised athletes plateau at mediocre,
then please suspect the coaching staff... and fix that. Apparently,
we don't have 4* coaches, 3*?, 2*?
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Class of '78 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:45 pm

Swamp Queen wrote::facepalm:

Poise Machine for Heisman 2013!

:yess:
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby Homer J » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:55 pm

Agree. Let's give them a chance.

We have had 3 offenses in the last 3 years. Our O-line will have the same coach for the second year as will our QBs. Joker is the 4th WR coach in 4 years.

Let's stop blaming the QBs and start looking at other positions. Jeff is gun shy because the line can't pass block and the receivers can't get open.

The OC does need to call a few deep passes every game just to open up the offense. It's the equivalent of Louisville running the ball even though we were stuffing the run. With no threat of the deep ball, the safeties stack the box and the defense has all 11 guys within 10 yards of the LOS.
Homer J
Head Ball Coach

Postby guardian » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:15 pm

Jbossgator9 wrote:In 1993 Wuerffel and Dean both played and it was Dean who started in the 1993 SEC title game and WON the MVP of that game as the Gators BEAT Bama 28-13. In 1994 Wuerffel and Dean both played and Spurrier ended up going with Wuerffel the final few games and he would help lead UF to victory in the 1994 SEC title game vs Bama again, 24-23. This history lesson has concluded and is sponsored by JBossgator9. Go Gators!!

So, Professor, neither QB has a National Championship to his credit? Dang history books!
"In blackest day or brightest night, watermelon, cantaloupe, yadda-e-yadda, erm... superstitious and cowardly lot, with freedom and justice for all!"
Duck Dodger's Lantern Oath
guardian
Heisman Gator

Postby GatorShea » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:21 pm

guardian wrote:
Jbossgator9 wrote:In 1993 Wuerffel and Dean both played and it was Dean who started in the 1993 SEC title game and WON the MVP of that game as the Gators BEAT Bama 28-13. In 1994 Wuerffel and Dean both played and Spurrier ended up going with Wuerffel the final few games and he would help lead UF to victory in the 1994 SEC title game vs Bama again, 24-23. This history lesson has concluded and is sponsored by JBossgator9. Go Gators!!

So, Professor, neither QB has a National Championship to his credit? Dang history books!

Huh? Number 7 brought home our first National Title and it was a sweet one.
GatorShea
Heisman Gator

Postby usmcmfs » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:23 pm

Zambo wrote:There are no Heisman Trophy QBs coming out of high school. All they can do is show up with the tools, work hard, and try to get to that level.

I was pretty big on Driskel at the beginning of this year because his natural gifts (cannon arm, speedy legs) give him the potential to be great. And he looked like he was progressing. Somehow it all started going backwards as the year went on. I try to keep in mind that the QB and receivers aren't the only ones who get better as the year goes on....opposing defenses learn and progress as well...but some of JD's decisions are very Brantley-esque I'm afraid.

Chris Leak was a much better QB, but he was frustrating to me in much the same way....lots of promise as a youngster but never really progressed into a great QB like most of us thought. At least his average day as a young QB was still head and shoulders above anything we've had since Tebow left. And really, that is enough to win a championship obviously....just play fundamentally sound football and get the rock to the right guy.

JD is only a sophomore in a huge spotlight. Maybe this offseason the lightbulb will come on or I have no doubt he will be pressed to keep his job. I doubt there are many stud QBs out there who would be afraid to compete with him if this is the best he can do.

Leak seemed on his way to putting up huge numbers after a sophomore season with 29 TD passes. But 3 OC's in 4 years seemed to set him back and he was entirely miscast in Meyers spread offense. Still he had 4 good years. Could have done more in a Spurrier type offense.
usmcmfs
All-American Gator

Postby law98gator » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 pm

Homer J wrote:Let's stop blaming the QBs and start looking at other positions. Jeff is gun shy because the line can't pass block and the receivers can't get open.

They are definitely poor. But, as Peace said, many of the sacks are on the QB. The QB helps the center (usually, could be a guard) in most situations in seeing the blitzes and setting the protection. The QB has to step away from pressure, but usually can't afford to run backward repeatedly, or fail to throw the ball away, or fail to look off the safeties, or fail to recognize the defense. Anyone can screw up, but JJD does those so consistently it's nearly 100% of the time.

JJD had plenty of time in the pocket about half the time last game. He still locked on to receivers and often threw behind them. That corner blitz that resulted in the fumble was all on JJD. He didn't bother looking for it AT ALL, despite the fact that even without film study I know it's CS' favorite blitz.

I still think he just doesn't have the brains for the job. A good o line and receiver corps won't change that.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum