Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], TN G8tr and 12 guests

The Cult of Notre Dame Football

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

The Cult of Notre Dame Football

Postby Alvin York » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:23 pm

Alabama vs Notre Dame
The National Championship

You know I'm worried. Even though the mighty SEC is head and shoulders better than any other conference we've lost three bowl games including the Gators to 21st ranked Louisville.
LOUISVILLE!!!!!!!!!

How many people saw "Knute Rockne All American" on TV growing up? The motion picture teaches the whole world about the legendary football tradition of Notre Dame that sill lives today. There are so many famous names and incidents connected to Notre Dame football.

Head coaches:
Knute Rockne
Frank Leahy

Players:
George "The Gipper" Gip
The Four Horsemen
Paul Horning
Joe Montana
Johnny Lujack

Amazing. Joe Montana is arguably the greatest NFL quarterback of all time but his stats at Notre Dame were unimpressive.

Johnny Who? Johnny Lujack. I never realized there was another "Johnny Football' in NCAA history. How about three national championships, 1947 Heisman Trophy winner, and two-time All-American who NEVER LOST a GAME at NOTRE DAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traditions:
The Golden Dome
The Touchdown Jesus
The Notre Dame Fight Song

The Fighting Irish even have the Pope and the Vatican in their corner.

Notre Dame football is in actuality a sports related cult that combines college football hysteria, a storied winning tradition, Catholicism and the adoration of dead saints like the Gipper and Knute Rockne.

Notre Dame football is national
Notre Dame football is even International.

Alabama?

They've got the legend of Paul "Bear" Bryant and the reputation as the greatest Southern football power in history.

Let's consider the rare confrontations between the two great powers when the Fighting Irish actually met the Crimson Tide.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23958

Alabama is a better team than Notre Dame regardless of their respective BCS points. The Crimson Tide has a number of individual players that should go on to excel in the NFL not to mention Nick Saban is the better coach. Despite all of their advantages I see Alabama as the heavy underdog going up against the magic of the Notre Dame mystique, the luck of the Irish and the fanaticism of the Notre Dame cult.

If you want a taste of this formidable phenomenon watch the film, "Rudy"

"RUDY, RUDY RUDY"

Last edited by Alvin York on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still Our Royal Family!!

Alvin York
Head Ball Coach

Re: The Notre Dame Cult

Postby IDGAC » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:41 pm

Wow, A bUTtchug fan complaining about other SEC teams losing bowl games. Maybe if your team could figure out how to play SEC-caliber football again, you wouldn't have to live vicariously through your rivals. What a miserable existence!
IDGAC
Heisman Gator

Postby Jabberdave » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:43 pm

IDGAC wrote:Wow, A bUTtchug fan complaining about other SEC teams losing bowl games. Maybe if your team could figure out how to play SEC-caliber football again, you wouldn't have to live vicariously through your rivals. What a miserable existence!

BOOM!
My, you're pretty after the third bottle.
Jabberdave
Bull Gator

Postby Alvin York » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:57 pm

IDGAC wrote:Wow, A bUTtchug fan complaining about other SEC teams losing bowl games. Maybe if your team could figure out how to play SEC-caliber football again, you wouldn't have to live vicariously through your rivals. What a miserable existence!

What would you have me do, cheer for f'n Louisville and merrily sing the Notre Dame fight song at the top of my voice.

Stick with the SEC, Dude. Regardless.
Still Our Royal Family!!

Alvin York
Head Ball Coach

Postby IDGAC » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:02 pm

Alvin York wrote:

What would you have me do. Cheer for Louisville and merrily sing the Notre Dame fight song at the top of my voice.

Stick with the SEC, Dude.

Except when it comes to basketball...then we can cheer for C-USA teams like Memphis against SEC teams, right?

I don't care about other SEC teams. My allegiance is not to the SEC, and you should stop pretending like yours is.
IDGAC
Heisman Gator

Postby Alvin York » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:09 pm

IDGAC wrote:
Alvin York wrote:

What would you have me do. Cheer for Louisville and merrily sing the Notre Dame fight song at the top of my voice.

Stick with the SEC, Dude.

Except when it comes to basketball...then we can cheer for C-USA teams like Memphis against SEC teams, right?

I don't care about other SEC teams. My allegiance is not to the SEC, and you should stop pretending like yours is.

Well........
LOL
Memphis is an exception for folks living in the city.
Besides it's B ball not football.

Still you got me on that one. :)
Still Our Royal Family!!

Alvin York
Head Ball Coach

Re: The Cult of Notre Dame Football

Postby rogdochar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:15 pm

"Yorkal", don't forget coaching giant Charlie Weis.
Don't you suppose all Southern Baptist and all atheists are
praying ND loses, for God's sake ? :rolleyes:
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Ancient Reptile » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:23 pm

rogdochar wrote:"Yorkal", don't forget coaching giant Charlie Weis.

I am not a southern Baptist, but that is a low blow, rog.
Ancient Reptile
Heisman Gator

Postby Alvin York » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:37 pm

rogdochar wrote:"Yorkal", don't forget coaching giant Charlie Weis.

Yep, I fear atheists, Southern Baptists, Communists and Muslims all quake at the thought of the Pope handing over the NC trophy to his homeboys, the Fighting Irish.

Even our beloved Albanian saint, Mother Teresa, was still alive she would be sitting in the Notre Dame section chanting "RUDY RUDY RUDY".
Last edited by Alvin York on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still Our Royal Family!!

Alvin York
Head Ball Coach

Postby rogdochar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Excuse me "Ancient". I shouldn't have gone there. I hate Bill Maher ?
It was nonsense meant to delight the oversight that religion is an
"esteamroller" for football or any sport.

With confession good for the soul, I confessed I used a chintzy
stereotypical meme to pop off. I know it was off. And it isn't
what I believe or have witnessed. Costello-wise : "I'm a baaaad boy." :embarrassed:

But I stand behind my gadfly: "atheists praying, for God's sake.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Vatgator » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:47 pm

Yea, I remember at the beginning of the season when a number of posters were hoping that **** beat Bama - cutting off their noses to spite their SEC faces.

Looks like the Gators did Bama a favor by losing - now Saban has the team's attention, knowing that the SEC ain't so dominant anyone, at least not against a big east cream puff that lost to UConn
Vatgator
True Gator

Postby scmike » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:41 pm

Alvin, great post. I usually do not agree with your posts, but this one is hilarious, and it has merit. I am an SEC Fan, but Bama fans get on my nerves; therefore, I do not care who wins. ND fans are also difficult to handle when they win. It may be good for ND to win to fire up the country at them instead of the SEC. I just hope the best team on Monday night wins without any b.s. officiating.
Go Gators
scmike
Senior Gator

Postby BSJGator » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:49 pm

Jabberdave wrote:

BOOM! Motherfcuker!

FIFY :lol:
BSJGator
Heisman Gator

Return to Gatorsports Forum