Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GatorJB, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, soflagator, t-gator and 47 guests

Which is more embarrassing?

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Which is more embarrassing?

Postby Double Gator Dad » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:56 am

Although the game Wednesday night was very humbling, I find the whiney a$$ responses by folks on this board to be much more embarrassing.

We went from cloud nine to standing on a ledge based upon one bowl game. We now have people second guessing the coaching hire and questioning everything Will stands for. Simultaneously, Charlie Strong has suddenly become the greatest coach in college football even though the Sugar Bowl was the first vistory of the season for Louisville over a team with more than four wins. Did you read that? four wins.

I particularly laugh at the "Strong outcoached Muschamp" mantra. These two coaches were facing completely different situations and motivations with their team. The only way to evaluate which coach did a better job preparing their team is if both were faced with the same situation. I followed the articles leading up to the game but I do not recall a single article about Louisville not being motivated to play an inferior team nor did I read anything about Louisville players considering early departure for the NFL draft.

We are way ahead of where any reasonable Gator fan thought we would be at this point and, believe it or not, this game will actually help us in the future.

Please try and regain YOUR composure and calm down.
Double Gator Dad
All-American Gator

Re: Which is more embarrassing?

Postby NavetG8r » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:11 pm

There's really not that many people jumping off cliffs. The few, just happen to be very loud about it.

Most of us know it isn't the end of the world. Some are a little concerned about the future because our star QB doesn't seem to be getting any better, but NEEDs to get better. And we all know we're going to be replacing some very talented players on defense. Although I'm not so sure we'll miss the attitudes all that much. All in all, I think the majority of the Gator fans are still standing on solid ground, and looking forward to seeing what our beloved Gators are going to show us next year. 11-2 is a pretty darn good season after 7-6.
DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
NavetG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby Jabberdave » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:16 pm

Thank you. My calm has been enhanced.
My, you're pretty after the third bottle.
Jabberdave
Bull Gator

Postby GatorBart » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:48 pm

Double Gator Dad wrote:Although the game Wednesday night was very humbling, I find the whiney a$$ responses by folks on this board to be much more embarrassing.

We went from cloud nine to standing on a ledge based upon one bowl game. We now have people second guessing the coaching hire and questioning everything Will stands for. Simultaneously, Charlie Strong has suddenly become the greatest coach in college football even though the Sugar Bowl was the first vistory of the season for Louisville over a team with more than four wins. Did you read that? four wins.

I particularly laugh at the "Strong outcoached Muschamp" mantra. These two coaches were facing completely different situations and motivations with their team. The only way to evaluate which coach did a better job preparing their team is if both were faced with the same situation. I followed the articles leading up to the game but I do not recall a single article about Louisville not being motivated to play an inferior team nor did I read anything about Louisville players considering early departure for the NFL draft.

We are way ahead of where any reasonable Gator fan thought we would be at this point and, believe it or not, this game will actually help us in the future.

I agree with the majority of your post and Muschamp having to deal with different issues than Strong had to deal with. Regardless, if you don't think Muschamp got out-coached in this game, you are blind to it. Muschamp even admitted that he got out-coached.
For example, bad coaching choices by Champ and staff included:
1. Coming out throwing versus pounding the ball against a smaller team (we averaged over 5 yards a carry; but we just didn't carry it enough).
2. CBs playing soft at the line of scrimmage allowing their receivers to get off the line and make easy short completions.
3. Not blitzing enough to put pressure on TB; needed to blitz more and pressure the receivers to shut down their passing attack.
4. Silly onside kick at the start of the 2nd half.

I am not bashing Muschamp, he said it himself. I hope he learns from the experience as I'm sure he learned from a lot of things that went wrong during his first season.
Go Champ and Go Gators!
:chomp:
GatorBart
Head Ball Coach

Postby gatorspook » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Double Gator Dad wrote:Although the game Wednesday night was very humbling, I find the whiney a$$ responses by folks on this board to be much more embarrassing.

I am upset over the total lack of discipline shown by the team. Losing is never fun, but you should always conduct yourself with dignity.
gatorspook

Postby gardnerwebbalumnigator » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:34 pm

gatorspook wrote:

I am upset over the total lack of discipline shown by the team. Losing is never fun, but you should always conduct yourself with dignity.

+1
"Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
gardnerwebbalumnigator
Head Ball Coach

Postby jagator0 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:02 pm

Not pounding the ball to start the game was a bad call. Not kicking some of his players in the ass for acting like Hurricanes? Bad call. The onside kick was a good call. It was necessitated by the #1 bad call. But it was a good call. Sometimes a good call doesn't work.

Do you think every time a manager calls for a bunt the batter gets it down? No. Does that mean it was the wrong call? Of course not. When they give the steal sign and the runner gets thrown out, does that mean it was a bad call? Of course not.

Sometimes you roll the dice to try and change the momentum. Sometimes it fails. If he plays it straight and kicks deep, we still lose the game. Had the onside kick worked and we turn that into a quick touchdown? Maybe we win.
jagator0
Heisman Gator

Postby scmike » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:20 pm

We are all disappointed, but we need to take a deep breath and think about the positive aspects of an 11-2 season. Facts are obvious that our guys were flat and L'ville was pumped up. Yep, QB play sucked and the offense was offensive again. Hopefully it will get fixed. I am still not sure that Driskell is the long term guy because of his throwing ability. Also, perhaps some of our guys were thinking about the NFL this week vice L'ville (just a thought).
Next year is another season, and if we do not beat UGA next year, I will be very mad. We have given UGA the game 2 years in a row. I can take a poor performance against a mediocre team like L'ville but we were not that great against Bowling Green and UL-Laf.
Hope our team and coaches learned a lesson from the game.
Happy New Year to all.
scmike
Senior Gator

Postby Gouryella » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:26 pm

FYI, Strong outcoached Muschamp. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either high or a sunshine pumping fool.

Ask Muschamp...oh...he already admitted as much. So, YOU know more than Will Muschamp? I have heard it all now folks.

Thank you for the laugh. Strong did outcoach Muschamp...made em his little biatch for a few hours. It was embarrassing but not the end of the world. Next year is huge for UF and CWM.
Gouryella
Heisman Gator

Postby Authentigator » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:36 pm

Double Gator Dad wrote: Charlie Strong has suddenly become the greatest coach in college football even though the Sugar Bowl was the first vistory of the season for Louisville over a team with more than four wins. Did you read that? four wins.

I particularly laugh at the "Strong outcoached Muschamp" mantra. These two coaches were facing completely different situations and motivations with their team.

How did Muschamp NOT get outcoached? Louisville had not previously beaten a team with more than 4 wins all season. Florida had huge wins over 4 top 12 teams and were 14 point favorites and yet looked hopelessly outclassed and pathetic against an inferior opponent.

Muschamp failed to properly motivate his team to play with the enthusiasm to win this game. His game plan was ineffective. His decision making was questionable (see onside kick). His team played with a lack of discipline (see stupid penalties) and ultimately lost to an inferior opponent.

Louisville was motivated, executed their gameplan well, and limited their mistakes in soundly beating Florida's ass. So explain to me how Strong did not outcoach Muschamp?
Authentigator
Freshman Gator

Postby vulcan_alex » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:52 pm

The team seemed very frustrated and instead of playing hard and smart thought that physical play (outside of the rules) was the way to respond. Reminds me a lot of what OSU did when we destroyed them in the NC game. Lots of leadership lessons here and of course our HBC was out coached. I disagree with the idea that we just run the ball, since throwing worked well against FSU.

Hopefully the team and its leadership and coaches have learned a lot about themselves and what is needed.
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Postby BernardodelaPaz » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:26 pm

For this to be true you would have to have as much pride for the GSMB as you do for the football team. While I agree the reaction here is somewhat overblown, it's probably only been viewed by a few hundred people rather than the millions that watched the football team mail it in on Wednesday night.
If you are not free to choose wrongly and irresponsibly, you are not free at all.

law98gator wrote:Some of everything I post is made up.
BernardodelaPaz
Freshman Gator

Postby gatorspook » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:23 pm

Gouryella wrote:FYI, Strong outcoached Muschamp. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either high or a sunshine pumping fool.

Ask Muschamp...oh...he already admitted as much. So, YOU know more than Will Muschamp? I have heard it all now folks.

Thank you for the laugh. Strong did outcoach Muschamp...made em his little biatch for a few hours. It was embarrassing but not the end of the world. Next year is huge for UF and CWM.

I usually tell you that you are an idiot and dead ass wrong. But in all fairness, I can't disagree with a thing you've said.
gatorspook

Postby kelryan12 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:13 pm

as in every bowl season upsets happen. Nick Saban and alabama losing to utah in 2008, Bob Stoops losing to Boise state, we lost the gator bowl back in the 70's to Maryland , the peach bowl to west virginia. upsets happen it only means one team had more purpose on this night than the other team. this year it was us. do i like it NO! but this team made tremendous strides this year and something to grow on..
kelryan12
Baby Gator

Postby TN G8tr » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:15 pm

gatorspook wrote:

Gotta agree here with Spook!
Only other thing that's more embarrassing is being a Vol or Nole fan.
"Wake her *** up, we got a game to play."
TN G8tr
Bull Gator

Postby Maillot Jaune » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:22 pm

gatorspook wrote:

Also my biggest beef with the game.
Maillot Jaune
Heisman Gator

Postby B52G8rAC » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Oklahoma against the Aggies.
B52G8rAC
Redshirt Gator

Postby I Have No Friends :( » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:26 pm

gatorpe wrote:Urb is a low life lying lover jilting big ten dBAG.

I Have No Friends :(
Bull Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:57 pm

The Sugar Bowl loss has highlighted reason No. 1,009 why I dislike the BCS: the long layoff between your last game and the bowl game. Any momentum you had at the end of the regular season is at risk of being gone by the time you take the field. Your season effectively boils down to the crapshoot that one bowl game can come to represent.

I'm not trying to make excuses for UF's loss. Louisville played a great game and deserved to win. But I'd rather see a format that rewards, rather than punishes, those teams that gather momentum at the end of the season, similar as it is with the NFL.

That can only be accomplished with a playoff.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby Swamp82 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:35 am

jagator0 wrote:Not pounding the ball to start the game was a bad call. Not kicking some of his players in the ass for acting like Hurricanes? Bad call. The onside kick was a good call. It was necessitated by the #1 bad call. But it was a good call. Sometimes a good call doesn't work.

Do you think every time a manager calls for a bunt the batter gets it down? No. Does that mean it was the wrong call? Of course not. When they give the steal sign and the runner gets thrown out, does that mean it was a bad call? Of course not.

Sometimes you roll the dice to try and change the momentum. Sometimes it fails. If he plays it straight and kicks deep, we still lose the game. Had the onside kick worked and we turn that into a quick touchdown? Maybe we win.

+1 couldn't have said it better.
If you would like to keep your coach you can
Swamp82
Head Ball Coach

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum