Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alagator, Flaglergator, Gatorbythebay, Google Adsense [Bot], Gouryella, itsgr82baflagator, Jabberdave, JimtheGator, MSNbot Media, rogdochar, UFever, WobbleGator and 51 guests

Gator hate is over the top

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Gator hate is over the top

Postby jagator0 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:31 pm

Tim Brando is even ripping us for not selling out our allotted tickets. He said the fans didn't care enough to buy tickets and that effects how the team perceives the game. Well, how then did FSU beat Northern Illinois by 21 points? If there was ANY team that had to be disappointed with where they ended up it was Georgia. How did they do in the game against Nebraska?

And oh by the way, yes we may be spoiled. But show me a fan base that wins as much as we do that isn't. Do you think Alabama fans flocked to the Capital One Bowl a couple of years ago?

I was at the Cap One Bowl this year. And yes the Dawg fans showed up. But why wouldn't they? They've never been to the BCS title game before. To them, a Capital One Bowl is still a pretty big deal. Two years ago they bowled in Memphis against UCF. They remember bowl trips to Shreveport, Nashville, Atalanta, or not going at all. So driving down to Orlando to watch them play the Nebraska Cornhuskers sounds like a good idea.

But let's not forget, Florida was expecting to play Okahoma in this game. And they end up with Louisville. No disrespect to Louisville but how many national championships and Heisman trophies do you have? Oklahoma is a big name opponent like a Nebraska. Louisville is a basketball school..

Plus, let's not forget that in our state we hosted seven bowls this year. IF you are a football fans from Florida, and many are probably also Gator fans, if you want to watch one more college football game before the season ends, you don't have to follow your team to New Orleans. There are several good games right in your back yard. How many bowl games are there in Kentucky? Or Alabama? Or Georgia?

From where I live, I can go to bed after New Year's Eve, wake up the next morning, decide I want to go to a football game today, get in my truck and drive to one of three games, and if I go to either Orlando or Jacksonville, I can be back home in time to watch the second half of the Rose Bowl game.

So yeah, some of us decided it was not worth it to drive for an entire day to get to New Orleans at $4.00 per gallon, stay in a hotel, but tickets, and drive an entire day to get back, to watch us play Louisville. So sue us. But if you were in our shoes, what would you do? I went to the UGA Nebrakska game and probably didn't drop anywhere near $100.00 food and gas included. If UGA fans were in our shoes, I bet they'd do the same thing.
jagator0
Heisman Gator

Re: Gator hate is over the top

Postby oxrageous » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:35 pm

oxrageous

Postby SC Gator » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:36 pm

also the fact it is a Jan 2 night time means missing having to miss two more days of work and its Louisville. Despite beating us last night, prior to that they had no panache or history or rivalry to get Gator fans to say I have to see this game.
In all kinds of weather.
SC Gator
Heisman Gator

Postby Ancient Reptile » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Gator fans didn't want to see the game; Gator players didn't want to play it. Both pretty much got what they wanted.
Ancient Reptile
Heisman Gator

Postby jagator0 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:41 pm

oxrageous wrote:Image

A little bit yes. These idiots compare apples to oranges and act like its apples to apples. Pure laziness on their part.
jagator0
Heisman Gator

Postby NVGator » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:42 pm

Ancient Reptile wrote:Gator fans didn't want to see the game; Gator players didn't want to play it. Both pretty much got what they wanted.

:yes:
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby Beauregard » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:48 pm

Ancient Reptile wrote:Gator fans didn't want to see the game; Gator players didn't want to play it. Both pretty much got what they wanted.

Pretty much sums it up.
Beauregard
Freshman Gator

Postby jagator0 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:53 pm

And yet, somehow that's our fault. Did we put Northern Illinois in the Orange Bowl? No. Do you think maybe a UF-OU game would have been a bit bigger ticket draw?
jagator0
Heisman Gator

Postby diehardg8r » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:00 pm

I think UF/OU would be a bigger draw and I think they need to put these games on Saturdays instead of a freaking Wednesday night if they want people to show up. Kids started back to school on Jan. 2 in most districts and people have already burned vacation time over the xmas holiday. Can some of these ridiculous bowl games and put the BCS games in slots that people can travel on and can watch with parties as such. Or don't complain about 25k empty seats.
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.” Dante
diehardg8r
Bull Gator

Postby murdamal86 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:16 pm

diehardg8r wrote:I think they need to put these games on Saturdays instead of a freaking Wednesday night if they want people to show up. Kids started back to school on Jan. 2 in most districts and people have already burned vacation time over the xmas holiday.

With wild card weekend in the NFL starting, that will never happen w/them putting these games on Saturday although it would be wise to do it that way.
murdamal86
Senior Gator

Postby NVGator » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:23 pm

I'm going out on a limb here, but I believe tonight's game between KSU and OU will be a sell out, if not close to a sell out.

Just a hunch. Seems they travel well.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby SavannahGator » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:27 pm

diehardg8r wrote:I think UF/OU would be a bigger draw and I think they need to put these games on Saturdays instead of a freaking Wednesday night if they want people to show up. Kids started back to school on Jan. 2 in most districts and people have already burned vacation time over the xmas holiday. Can some of these ridiculous bowl games and put the BCS games in slots that people can travel on and can watch with parties as such. Or don't complain about 25k empty seats.

I live in Savannah GA (obviously). It's a 10 hour drive from here to NOLA. The tickets to the game would have cost less than the time to drive to NOLA, staying in a hotel 2 nights, and eating. I am not a season ticket holder, but I do go to 2 or 3 home games each year - it's only a 3 hour 15 min drive to UF. Gators living in FL may have to go even farther than me - what if you live in Ft Myers, Sarasota, Broward, or my home town of MIA. You either have to fly ($$$) or it's a two-day drive. Maybe Brando should get his head out of his a** and look at the geography of the state of FL. Then he'd realize that traveling to NOLA for this game could be all of New Year's Day going (or more) and all of today (or more) returning.

For those who have the Benjamins, it may still be more about the time taken to go than the $$$. I bet if we had been in the Capital One Bowl, or even the Outback Bowl, attendance against a name Big-Ten (er 12) team would have been better, as more Gators would have been able to make the trip. Heck, I might have even gone.

I am a prof of Information Technology (my degree at UF was CIS) at a university here in Savannah. Class doesn't start til Monday, but faculty had to return today. Could I have really afforded today away from work to attend that game? NO. Diehard, you are right. NCAA has to quit kowtowing to the NFL and put these games on weekends or expect the lousy attendance.
"A life is not important - except in the impact it has on other lives" . . . Jackie Robinson
SavannahGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby law98gator » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:50 pm

NVGator wrote:I'm going out on a limb here, but I believe tonight's game between KSU and OU will be a sell out

Just a hunch. Seems they travel well.

It's just a hunch, but if I lived in Kansas or Oklohoma, I'd leave as often as possible (and never go back).
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby gatormark » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:54 pm

Tim Brando and his three fat ass both monkeys dont know jack sheet about Florida fans. Brando needs to stick to his stupid Beano Cook impersinations and keep his opinions to himself.
gatormark
Senior Gator

Postby kelryan12 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:06 pm

lets see a 10 hour or more drive there, motel, food, tickets and the middle of the week!!!! yeah that makes it easy on the working folk to get there. not retired yet so these type of games are hard to get to. wish i was paid to be there like Brando and his ilk... What a joke he is
kelryan12
Baby Gator

Postby Amazin1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:08 pm

i'm right with savannah but, i am a season ticket holder. i drive 2 hours both ways every home game. there was no way in hell i could afford the tickets, the gas, the hotel,the food, etc. plus the 9 hour drive it is from here to nola. i'm one of the biggest Gator fans you will EVER find but, with this economy there was no way for me to pull it off...
Amazin1
All-American Gator

Postby Amazin1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:10 pm

and if they would have played capitol one or outback there is no doubt i would have been there....because i could have afforded too. these talking heads who make all this money and think we all have the same means as them are a bunch of damn idiots...reality check genius...
Amazin1
All-American Gator

Postby MrAmbition2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:23 pm

Hello?? Gator hate has been over the top FOR YEARS and ALWAYS will be.....the Steve Spurrier Era started it and the Urban Meyer/Tim Tebow Era AMPLIFIED it. We win championships. We've had great but cocky, undiscipline PLAYERS. The majority of our fan base is rowdy, arrogant and at times WISHY WASHY! Add the fact that we have MORE heated rivalries out of all schools in the nation (Tenn. LSU, Georgia, FSU, now South Carolina) then what do you get? Gator Envy, Hater GatorNation!
MrAmbition2
Baby Gator

Postby DaddyGator » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:27 pm

I went to the Sugar in 2010. You remember- Tim's last game, Urb's "retirement", etc. Same sort of turnout for the same Big East opponent (Cincinnati). Lots of Cincinnati fans were there enjoying their moment on the big stage as you might imagine. Whole sections were empty on our side of the field. The best explanation I've got for it is that the BCS bowls just crap out on matchups that the fans want to see with the conference tie ins. I noticed some our player twitter feeds before the game wondering why they didnt see more fans in Nawlins. Gotta be disappointing but it isnt excuse for our team not showing up, either.
Illegitimi non carborundum
DaddyGator
Heisman Gator

Postby GulfG8r » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:45 pm

Unless you're a good shopper, a hotel downtown was gonna set you back almost $1000 before you even leave the house and head for the freeway or the airport. New Orleans took gouging to an art form and they deserve the lousy attendance.

BUT. . . If Gator fans aren't outnumbered by Louisville fans, then these arguments (excuses) have some merit. There are one hell of a lot more Gator fans out there than Louisville fans and they still outnumbered us 2:1. It's embarrassing for UF really. Bama fans outnumber us in Atlanta. Hell even Cincinnati fans made a better showing and I don't think they really care about the shape of the state of Florida or how far New Orleans is from Tampa or Miami.

Bottom line, Gator fans don't travel well to support the team. Brando can kiss my a$$, but we have become the worst of the spoiled fans.

Oh wait, I just remembered, this game didn't mean anything.
GulfG8r
Heisman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum