Who is online

Users browsing this forum: -THE DUDE-, Gatorbythebay, GMDGator, Google [Bot], I Have No Friends :(, Jabberdave, JimtheGator, MJMGator, MSNbot Media, Sasquatch Gator, TheDouglas78, UFever and 58 guests

The Emperor Has No Clothes

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

The Emperor Has No Clothes

Postby GulfG8r » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:22 pm

I wish I could get into doing the message board while I’m watching the game. I read a good bit of the exchange after the game and it would have been helpful to vent with y’all. Cover2 always comes in with an upbeat summary after a disappointing performance. He got my vote in the “POTY” competition. Although I’m not in his league here on GSMB, I offer here a realistic counterpoint to his upbeat analysis.

This team will not go to Atlanta in 2013. Carolina will. They have a better offense, a better defense, and certainly better coaching.

This team was truly exposed last night, and the body parts aren't pretty to look at. The only parts that don't make you cringe and turn away are the run defense and a respectable running game (when conditions allow it). With my half-empty glass in front of me, here is what I learned about our team last night:

I don't ever want to hear another Gator defense utter the words "best Gator defense ever" unless they're talking about 2006, or 1996, or years earlier than that. Certainly not when they're talking about themselves. The first time I heard those words, Charlie Strong announced he was leaving for Louisville, Carlos Dunlap got arrested days later and the defense didn't even show up for the biggest game of the season.

They said it again this past week -- about themselves of course -- and it's pretty laughable now isn't it? Our pass rush was impotent against the mighty Louisville o-line, and their receivers ran free all night. This secondary was torched by a relatively unknown Big East QB who turned out to be the best QB the Gators faced all season. And there are plenty of others out there as good or better, in the PAC10, the BIG12, and the SEC.

When you think about going 11-1 against the toughest schedule in the land, it's easy to get caught up in national championship hype. But when you break it down, it's easy to see how the numbers were so misleading. First, I'm not sure how our SOS was ranked #1 with BGSU, LaLa, Jax State, Missouri, and horrendous Kentucky and Tennessee teams on the docket.

Now factor in that Manziel was playing his first collegiate game when we got TA&M, and we still had to eek out a 3 point come from behind win. USCe had a gimpy Clowney and no Lattimore when they came to Gainesville at the end of a brutal 4-game stretch, and their wheels came off much the same as the Gators' did when they went to Jax the following week. LSU was probably our signature SEC win, and they don't have a QB. All we had to do was shut down the run game, and that is the one thing the Gator D is good at.

The Gators did good against Vandy. But do you see where this is going? The game against ref$u had us all believing the #3 ranking -- but the first half of that game was as ugly as those Gator unis last night. Gator D came out big in the 2nd half in Tallahassee and we were all too quick to forget that this is still the team that needed a miracle blocked punt returned for a TD as time expired to beat Lousiana Layafette in Gainesville 2 weeks earlier.

This team isn't very good. And I don't know why we should expect it to be measurably better next year. We are stuck in a rut at Quarterback. The only thing Driskel can do with the ball is run it -- that's why Meyer recruited him, because the passing game isn't a priority in his high school spread offense. I've seen plenty of high school football, and I'll bet Driskel lit them up on Friday nights. He probably threw 10 times a game and ran free through the open field the rest of the time. Everything except running he absolutely sucks at, and over the course of 13 games and 4 months this season, he failed to show any indication of improvement. Brissett wasn't good enough to win the job this year, so why would we now think he's gonna save this team next year? Our WRs can't get separation and drop too many of the good ones that come to them. We can pray for a miracle there, but we still need a QB, and it’s going to take a kid who has yet to take a snap to be that guy.

This leaves coaching. I learned a lot about Will Muschamp last night. First of all, he's a clown act on the sideline. This isn't visor-throwing by a perfectionist offensive wizard, this is temper tantrums and total, bizarro, loss of control. It's reflected in his players. But that isn't the big problem.

Last night, the Gators were fortunate to close the 1st half with a TD -- it required a fake FG against the mighty Louisville defense to pull it off, but we had some momentum going in only 14 points down. 30 minutes of ball left -- all they have to do at the half is figure out how to get the defense off the field on 3rd down. This is (or should be) Muschamp's specialty. So I picture him and Quinn scheming up 6 defensive backs, rushing 3 -- I mean, Louisville can't run it and they're shredding us through the air, right. So let’s play a card from the Bill Walsh playbook when he shut down the Dan Marino passing game in Super Bowl 198? with 6 DBs? Dare them to run it – they won’t. This is what I pictured Muschamp doing at halftime. Instead, he’s working on trick plays.

Anybody with a pea brain of intelligence would clearly understand that the downside risk of failing on that onsides kick far outweighed the upside of making it. No need to put the game on the line at that point, just kick them deep, hold them and make them punt with your SEC-leading defense, and then go down and get a TD. New ballgame with 20 or more minutes to go. But no – we’re going to fool Charlie Strong and his team that hasn’t cracked once all night. Great plan ‘Chump. One offensive play into the half, the Gators are down by 21 and the game is over. There is risk-taking, and then there is stupidity. Will Muschamp makes Les Miles look like Steve Spurrier.

Jeremy Foley blew it when he passed on Charlie Strong and opted for Will Muschamp. This guy can want a smashmouth team like Nick Saban has all he wants, but you still need smart people running the operation. Yes he is only 2 years into putting out the dumpster fire that Urban Meyer left him, and he’s clearly short on personnel at some “skill positions”. But my confidence in Muschamp was shaken to the core last night. Because I thought he was about sound, fundamental, no-BS football. Last night, he showed he’s everything but that.
GulfG8r
Heisman Gator

Re: The Emperor Has No Clothes

Postby fkzdiceman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:37 pm

Glad you got that off your chest, but you are wrong on almost everything you posted. The onside kick was stupid, I'll give you that one.
fkzdiceman
Baby Gator

Postby jagator0 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:42 pm

Climb off the ledge dude.

Yes, Driskel stinks at times. But he's been pretty good at other times. This is his first year as a starter. This will be his first off-season going in knowing he's going to be the starter next year. Have you never seen a first year starting QB struggle and then become a great QB by his senior year? How about Aaron Murray. Two years ago he was losing 10-6 to UCF. Where is he two years later?

Second, the onside kick was a good call. It didn't work because Strong obviously had his team ready for it. What does that tell you? It tells me that the genius you would rather have coaching for us instead of who we have, WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME THING! If not, he wouldn't have had his team ready for it.

As far as having close games with inferior teams, that is a product of smashmouth football ALL of you were begging for this team to get bigger and tougher on the lines after Bama and LSU ran the ball down our throats last year and stuffed out offense. Finesse football would not work in the SEC anymore was your battle cry. You totally ignored the face that "finesse football" was how we dominated college football for the 20 years prior. Well, now you got what you want and you don't like it.

You know what? Deal with it. Because this is who we are now. We will ground and pound our way to some tough wins, but you can forget about ever coming back from an early 14 point hole. And on occasion, we will drop the ball to a Kentucky or a Tennessee just because the game will still be close enough for a flukey play to win the game. That's part of being a "three yards and a cloud of dust" team.

But let us not forget that the Fun-n-Gun had its meltdowns too. Remember Notre Dame i the Sugar Bowl? Remember the Choak at the Doak? Remember the Nebraska game? Apparently not if you're so willing to declare this team and this coach a bust over this game.
jagator0
Heisman Gator

Postby MatthewM. » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:45 pm

PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby travy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:45 pm

god you guys are crappy fans. really, it's embarrassing. ever hear of loyalty? no team is perfect, and clearly no fanbase is either..

bottom line is we came out cold after a six week break.
travy
True Gator

Postby GulfG8r » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:47 pm

travy wrote:god you guys are crappy fans. really, it's embarrassing. ever hear of loyalty? no team is perfect, and clearly no fanbase is either..

bottom line is we came out cold after a six pack break.

FIFY
GulfG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby gatordad » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:47 pm

The players acting like jerks is on the coach...BIG TIME! He acts like a jerk on the sidelines as well. He had it under control earlier this season. What happened? Look at how the players act...
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans-John Lennon
gatordad
Heisman Gator

Postby travy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:48 pm

gatordad wrote:The players acting like jerks is on the coach...BIG TIME! He acts like a jerk on the sidelines as well. He had it under control earlier this season. What happened? Look at how the players act...

if it were only that simple. but keep believing that if it makes you happy.
travy
True Gator

Postby GatorShea » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:16 pm

The only response I have is that Driskel should NOT go into the offseason knowing that he is the starter for next season. He needs to earn that position once again.
GatorShea
Heisman Gator

Postby oxrageous » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:30 pm

OP, this is what you said to me after a made a similar negative post towards our Gators after Thanksgiving:

You are the biggest hypocrite on this entire board. You sit behind your monitor and bash people and hurl insults when it feels good to do so, and then turn into a whiny girl when this young team of players and coaches doesn't deliver perfection for you. The title of this entire thread you started is ludicrous.

Grow a pair Ox and feel free to take a long break from judging anybody else's opinion on this board for the remainder of this miserable, awful, disappointing failure of a season. And feel free to skip that meaningless low rent bowl game in New Orleans too.

You're throwing the tantrums -- don't "speak" for anybody else, asshat.

Needless to say, I was pretty surprised to see this thread. You were pretty vocal towards anyone that said anything negative about our Gators a month ago. Now this?

Not trying to start a fight, I'm just pretty perplexed here.
oxrageous

Postby IDGAC » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:30 pm

gatordad wrote:The players acting like jerks is on the coach...BIG TIME! He acts like a jerk on the sidelines as well. He had it under control earlier this season. What happened? Look at how the players act...

You should start a thread about this magnificent revelation!!!
IDGAC
Heisman Gator

Postby IDGAC » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:32 pm

oxrageous wrote:OP, this is what you said to me after a made a similar negative post towards our Gators after Thanksgiving:

You are the biggest hypocrite on this entire board. You sit behind your monitor and bash people and hurl insults when it feels good to do so, and then turn into a whiny girl when this young team of players and coaches doesn't deliver perfection for you. The title of this entire thread you started is ludicrous.

Grow a pair Ox and feel free to take a long break from judging anybody else's opinion on this board for the remainder of this miserable, awful, disappointing failure of a season. And feel free to skip that meaningless low rent bowl game in New Orleans too.

Needless to say, I was pretty surprised to see this thread. You were as vocal towards anyone that said anything negative about our Gators as anyone a month ago. Now this?

IDGAC
Heisman Gator

Postby tillsb » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:33 pm

tl;dr

can I get cliff notes?
tillsb
Heisman Gator

Postby cover2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:33 pm

I feel you somewhat, Gulf, but I'm not one to wallow in the **** as opposed to getting up and cleaning off and then moving forward.
"I aim to kill you in one minute, Ned, or see you hang in Ft. Smith at Judge Parker's convenience! Which'll it be?"
cover2
Heisman Gator

Postby tillsb » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:34 pm

cover2 wrote:I feel you somewhat, Gulf, but I'm not one to wallow in the **** as opposed to getting up and cleaning off and then moving forward.

Main lesson in life is when you get knocked down you don't ***** you just move forward. My 7 years in the Army taught me that if I hadn't already known it.
tillsb
Heisman Gator

Postby GulfG8r » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:40 pm

jagator0 wrote:Climb off the ledge dude.

Yes, Driskel stinks at times. But he's been pretty good at other times. This is his first year as a starter. This will be his first off-season going in knowing he's going to be the starter next year. Have you never seen a first year starting QB struggle and then become a great QB by his senior year? How about Aaron Murray. Two years ago he was losing 10-6 to UCF. Where is he two years later?

Second, the onside kick was a good call. It didn't work because Strong obviously had his team ready for it. What does that tell you? It tells me that the genius you would rather have coaching for us instead of who we have, WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME THING! If not, he wouldn't have had his team ready for it.

As far as having close games with inferior teams, that is a product of smashmouth football ALL of you were begging for this team to get bigger and tougher on the lines after Bama and LSU ran the ball down our throats last year and stuffed out offense. Finesse football would not work in the SEC anymore was your battle cry. You totally ignored the face that "finesse football" was how we dominated college football for the 20 years prior. Well, now you got what you want and you don't like it.

You know what? Deal with it. Because this is who we are now. We will ground and pound our way to some tough wins, but you can forget about ever coming back from an early 14 point hole. And on occasion, we will drop the ball to a Kentucky or a Tennessee just because the game will still be close enough for a flukey play to win the game. That's part of being a "three yards and a cloud of dust" team.

But let us not forget that the Fun-n-Gun had its meltdowns too. Remember Notre Dame i the Sugar Bowl? Remember the Choak at the Doak? Remember the Nebraska game? Apparently not if you're so willing to declare this team and this coach a bust over this game.

I come here for 2 reasons: for entertainment, and to vent to people who understand or care about Gator football. I started this out by saying my glass is half empty and I'm in a similar mode to those who were calling our program a failure after the Georgia loss. I'm a little over the top on some points and I'll get better -- but I do stand by the fundamentals of my post.

This was not the #3 team in the country. Never was all season. But the numbers spun that scenario and I bought in after the game in Tallahassee. The numbers lied. It makes for a much harder fall.

On your points above:

Are you really defending that idiotic onsides kick on the argument that Strong was ready for it? Being ready for it doesn't mean he would have done it himself. Several of the posters on this board expected it. Of course Strong expected it -- Muschamp tried trickery the very play before to close the first half (and it worked). The fact that Strong was ready for it and stopped it is hardly an argument to justify doing it. Quite the contrary.

Yes many QBs have struggled early in their careers and gotten better over time. Manziel comes to mind. So does Teddy Bridgewater. So does just about every quarterback. I'm still waiting to see even a glimmer of improvement potential out of Jeff Driskel. We should have seen something by now.

As far as the finesse football argument and whoever it is you're calling "you", you're barking up the wrong tree here. Toughness is an absolute necessity in SEC football. It is a necessary condition, but not in itself a sufficient condition. And in the subsequent paragraph, you say "this is who we are" and then talk about forgetting ever coming back from 14 point deficits and dropping games to Kentucky. It sounds like you have a bigger problem with it than I do. My only problem is the buffoonery on the sideline. We still need smart people running the show, no matter how tough we are.

And last,

1) yes I remember the awful Sugar Bowl against ND -- this game was a lot like it. I feared a similar performance when I was reading players' quotes about being the best Gator defense ever, and how we're playing for a final #2 ranking. O-V-E-R-C-O-N-F-I-D-E-N-T.

2) yes I remember the Choke at Doak. I always said Spurrier's teams could run it when they wanted to, but couldn't necessarily run it when they had to. The Choke epitomized that point. All we needed was to pick up a few first downs and burn some clock. Couldn't do it. Spurrier undoubtedly learned from that. I hope Muschamp learns something from last night's pile of cat turds.

3) yes I remember the 1995 Fiesta Bowl. That Nebraska team won 3 NCs in a 4 year span -- kind of like what Bama is fixing to do next week -- but even scarier. It was our first crack at a national championship. I liked the game the following year a lot better.
GulfG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby MatthewM. » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:44 pm

I wish we had an empress
PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby GulfG8r » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:45 pm

oxrageous wrote:OP, this is what you said to me after a made a similar negative post towards our Gators after Thanksgiving:

Needless to say, I was pretty surprised to see this thread. You were pretty vocal towards anyone that said anything negative about our Gators a month ago. Now this?

Don't be perplexed. I just fell into the same hole.

Point taken, Ox -- asshat is on me. Aww, go on ahead and dig up that snob with the pipe and lay him on top. Misery loves company

Go Gators
GulfG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby The RH Factor » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:47 pm

Our game plan was to stop the run and force them to throw, just like we do with SEC teams.

However, Louisville doesn't run the ball well and is a passing team, so forcing them to throw played into their strength.

Our defense played like they had their minds on where they were going to be selected in the NFL draft.
The RH Factor
Head Ball Coach

Postby GulfG8r » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:48 pm

MatthewM. wrote:I wish we had an empress

and that's why I come here

Starting to feel a little better already. Thanks guys
GulfG8r
Heisman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum