Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 29 guests

Bits & Pieces: From Sugar to S*** in Nawlins!

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Bits & Pieces: From Sugar to S*** in Nawlins!

Postby cover2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:12 am

I'm mad as hell right now, as I'm sure most Gators are. We looked, as other posters have pointed out, like we expected to walk out on the field at 8:24 for the trophy presentation. Louisville and Charlie Strong, obviously, had other ideas! This is a hard lesson for Champ, his staff and players, and many of our fans to learn, but in a few years, I believe it's importance will be evident. In the meantime, it stinks. Here's some things that jumped out at me tonight...

*Rag on Driskel if you want. He was certainly not elite this evening (nor has he been this season), but there were so many "head-scratchers" offensively that it is hard to pick a place to start. Our O Line struggled to block 4 on many pass plays (Xavier Nixon's effort on the two pt. conversion exemplified our struggles/poor effort), but I guess it isn't like we haven't seen that for most of the season. The leopard lost his spots only once (F$U) this year. Personally, I was dumbstruck by Pease's plan. Things like runnning the wildcat while down by multiple scores and the clock against you on 2nd and long...twice! No hurry up O for much of the 2nd half. Can't make sense of it.

*Got to question trying the onside kick to begin the 2nd half. Of course, if you recover, it is a stroke of genious...or did Champ know we were in deep s*** and threw caution to the wind?

*Here's where I b!tch about the refs. The officials didn't cost us the game, but they helped throw a blanket on any fire that was starting with the double personal fouls (and ejection) on the onside attempt and the unsportsmanship for a sideline violation (w/o a prior warning that I was aware of). I could see maybe one personal foul on the onside, but beyond that, it smelled fishier than the mini skirt competition at Dub's used to!

*Where ya been Andre Debose? Once more, a glimpse of what could be.

*The real story of the game was what Bridgewater and the Louisville passing O did to the strength of our team. It's easy to second guess right now, but I sure would have liked to see us dial up a little more pressure in the first half, as 4 wasn't the magic number of rushers to put the heat on him. Seemed like the kid had time to wind his watch on most every pass play early on.

*It's easy right now to forget just how good the regular season was, especially in terms of exceeding expectations, but you're only as good as your last game these days and who could argue that at this moment? Going back to the aforementioned tough lesson, it will be interesting to see how much motivation and memory it provides in the near future. I know Santa has come and gone, but here's hoping he left Champ some gift certificates for at least a couple of game-breaking receivers and tough O Linemen, a clock and an instructional manual for reading coverages for Driskel, and a jersey tag for each jersey and coaching shirt that says "Finish"...and means it!

Even as bad as it tastes right now, I'm still proud to be a Gator and will be looking forward to NSD, Spring practice, camp, and the first game next year...and I'm still proud to have Champ leading us. One disaster doesn't define who we are. What we do from this point forward does.

:chomp:
"I aim to kill you in one minute, Ned, or see you hang in Ft. Smith at Judge Parker's convenience! Which'll it be?"
cover2
Heisman Gator

Re: Bits & Pieces: From Sugar to S*** in Nawlins!

Postby GatorJay26 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:23 am

Very good post! And I will add Debose is a huge playmaker and needs to be on the field, I don't care how.
GatorJay26
True Gator

Postby I Have No Friends :( » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:24 am

cover2 wrote:*Rag on Driskel if you want. He was certainly not elite this evening (nor has he been this season)

I think I got most of it out of my system for tonight :lol:

Personally, I was dumbstruck by Pease's plan. Things like runnning the wildcat while down by multiple scores and the clock against you on 2nd and long...twice! No hurry up O for much of the 2nd half. Can't make sense of it.

The shine has definitely wore off with Pease. I'm having a hard time believing this guy is any better than Charlie Weis, save for the fact that at least Pease didn't find the two lightest guys on the team and run them up the middle all season.

*Got to question trying the onside kick to begin the 2nd half. Of course, if you recover, it is a stroke of genious...or did Champ know we were in deep s*** and threw caution to the wind?

Was watching the game with my dad and I jokingly asked before the 2nd half started if we onside kick it. He snapped back "we better not" and we both laughed at the thought. Imagine our disbelief when we saw the kickoff.

Even as bad as it tastes right now, I'm still proud to be a Gator and will be looking forward to NSD, Spring practice, camp, and the first game next year...and I'm still proud to have Champ leading us. One disaster doesn't define who we are. What we do from this point forward does.

This should definitely go without saying for any true Gator fan. Go Gators! :cool:
gatorpe wrote:Urb is a low life lying lover jilting big ten dBAG.

I Have No Friends :(
Bull Gator

Postby GatorStud » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:26 am

I'm not in a good mood. Springboard into the next season, not slip on a banana peel. OC? QB? OL? That's enough to keep you wondering off season.
GatorStud
Head Ball Coach

Postby #1GATOR FAN » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:44 am

Debose got a shot because the UL kicker couldn't even reach the 10 yard line half the time while all year kickers were just booting it through the end zone.

We did get pressure with 4 at times but he was excellent at side stepping pressure along with never taking his eyes off from downfield.

Getting down early ruined our run game and forced us into passing which is what we can't do even average. Along with the O-line play piss poor pass blocking as they always do, I don't see how crap teams across the country can pass block better than us.

Idk it was a great season that I didn't see coming but a loss at the end puts a good sting on any of it.
#1GATOR FAN
Heisman Gator

Postby UF_Cheme_Student » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:02 am

#1GATOR FAN wrote:Debose got a shot because the UL kicker couldn't even reach the 10 yard line half the time while all year kickers were just booting it through the end zone.

We did get pressure with 4 at times but he was excellent at side stepping pressure along with never taking his eyes off from downfield.

Getting down early ruined our run game and forced us into passing which is what we can't do even average. Along with the O-line play piss poor pass blocking as they always do, I don't see how crap teams across the country can pass block better than us.

Idk it was a great season that I didn't see coming but a loss at the end puts a good sting on any of it.

We abandoned the running in the second quarter was way to early.
UF_Cheme_Student
Heisman Gator

Postby NVGator » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:16 am

cover2 wrote:I'm mad as hell right now, as I'm sure most Gators are. We looked, as other posters have pointed out, like we expected to walk out on the field at 8:24 for the trophy presentation. Louisville and Charlie Strong, obviously, had other ideas! This is a hard lesson for Champ, his staff and players, and many of our fans to learn, but in a few years, I believe it's importance will be evident. In the meantime, it stinks. Here's some things that jumped out at me tonight...

*Rag on Driskel if you want. He was certainly not elite this evening (nor has he been this season), but there were so many "head-scratchers" offensively that it is hard to pick a place to start. Our O Line struggled to block 4 on many pass plays (Xavier Nixon's effort on the two pt. conversion exemplified our struggles/poor effort), but I guess it isn't like we haven't seen that for most of the season. The leopard lost his spots only once (F$U) this year. Personally, I was dumbstruck by Pease's plan. Things like runnning the wildcat while down by multiple scores and the clock against you on 2nd and long...twice! No hurry up O for much of the 2nd half. Can't make sense of it.

*Here's where I b!tch about the refs. The officials didn't cost us the game, but they helped throw a blanket on any fire that was starting with the double personal fouls (and ejection) on the onside attempt and the unsportsmanship for a sideline violation (w/o a prior warning that I was aware of). I could see maybe one personal foul on the onside, but beyond that, it smelled fishier than the mini skirt competition at Dub's used to!

*Where ya been Andre Debose? Once more, a glimpse of what could be.

*The real story of the game was what Bridgewater and the Louisville passing O did to the strength of our team. It's easy to second guess right now, but I sure would have liked to see us dial up a little more pressure in the first half, as 4 wasn't the magic number of rushers to put the heat on him. Seemed like the kid had time to wind his watch on most every pass play early on.

*It's easy right now to forget just how good the regular season was, especially in terms of exceeding expectations, but you're only as good as your last game these days and who could argue that at this moment? Going back to the aforementioned tough lesson, it will be interesting to see how much motivation and memory it provides in the near future. I know Santa has come and gone, but here's hoping he left Champ some gift certificates for at least a couple of game-breaking receivers and tough O Linemen, a clock and an instructional manual for reading coverages for Driskel, and a jersey tag for each jersey and coaching shirt that says "Finish"...and means it!

Charlie Strong was quoted today saying he was excited about this game to see how close or how far his team actually is to being at the top.

I think he's about there and we are very far.

I'd guess our season's accomplishments are more on the shoulders of those less fortunate than our great gains.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby Jbossgator9 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:17 am

I'm glad I didn't pay to actually go to the game that is for sure!! The INTs were lucky as anything. The onside kick was a good idea but unlucky that we didn't get it and then the refs just gave L'Ville the personal foul yardage. We got called for a TON of penalties, some were stupid on our part, but LV didn't get called for jack squat. I saw about 4 times where holding could have been called on them and NOTHING was called. Everything that needed to happen for LV to win happened. It was a perfect storm for them and they made unbelievable catches on tough throws. Credit them for outplaying us and just simply beating us. Our program is ahead of schedule being 11-2 this year so we have a bright future. Go Gators!!
Jbossgator9
Heisman Gator

Postby BMF » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:48 am

C2, good post as usual.

This season was a success regardless of this game. However, the results are very disappointing and discouraging for next season.

I hope the sunshine pumpers can stop sucking off Pease and telling all of us how great of an OC he is. How can anyone be impressed with an offense that can't crack the top 100? He is average at best.

Hopefully the new O-lineman and WRs we have coining in will help the O improve next year.....hopefully....
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby G8RNGA » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:53 am

Good post, c2. We were led to believe that this team was "treating this game as a business trip" and that it didn't matter that there was a curfew because all of them enjoyed hanging around each other at the hotel. We heard that this team is really disciplined and having great practices that are focused. One player even boasted that they've watched more film than against any other opponent this year.

I wasn't too worried after the initial interception. I thought about how OSU ran the kickoff back and they were all pumped up before we slaughtered them. My thought, "okay, we'll spot you 7". After the offense looked terrible and as if the 3 additional weeks of practice didn't help them at all, I was hoping the defense would come out and help set the tone. Instead, what I saw were players being selfish and undisciplined. I saw guys more worried about either not hurting themselves (poor tackling technique), or trying to make an "I" statement on national tv. This team was not prepared. I find it hard to believe that they had great practices.

I also saw way too many young guys playing early. Maybe this was where WM felt they earned the right to be on the field and that they could give the starters some rest, but not on the first series when you need your main starters setting the tone.

This game falls on the coaches. When you get three extra weeks of practice and you come out playing sloppy football, that is coaching.

I now have a bad taste in my mouth and it will take many games into the new season to erase it. I was looking for consistency following the showing in Tally. For me, the future went from being bright, to a bulb that keeps flickering on/off. Just when you think it's on...
G8RNGA
Head Ball Coach

Postby Tunaboat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:02 am

G8RNGA wrote:Good post, c2. We were led to believe that this team was "treating this game as a business trip" and that it didn't matter that there was a curfew because all of them enjoyed hanging around each other at the hotel. We heard that this team is really disciplined and having great practices that are focused. One player even boasted that they've watched more film than against any other opponent this year.

I wasn't too worried after the initial interception. I thought about how OSU ran the kickoff back and they were all pumped up before we slaughtered them. My thought, "okay, we'll spot you 7". After the offense looked terrible and as if the 3 additional weeks of practice didn't help them at all, I was hoping the defense would come out and help set the tone. Instead, what I saw were players being selfish and undisciplined. I saw guys more worried about either not hurting themselves (poor tackling technique), or trying to make an "I" statement on national tv. This team was not prepared. I find it hard to believe that they had great practices.

I also saw way too many young guys playing early. Maybe this was where WM felt they earned the right to be on the field and that they could give the starters some rest, but not on the first series when you need your main starters setting the tone.

This game falls on the coaches. When you get three extra weeks of practice and you come out playing sloppy football, that is coaching.

I now have a bad taste in my mouth and it will take many games into the new season to erase it. I was looking for consistency following the showing in Tally. For me, the future went from being bright, to a bulb that keeps flickering on/off. Just when you think it's on...

This
What do YOU know? Albert Einstein's wife
Tunaboat
Freshman Gator

Postby GatorTAG » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:24 am

I said it last night and I'll say it again. I can't wait until this group of starting olinemen graduate. Easily the worst group we've had at UF in 30 years.

It is also easy now to see why the defense was so flat last night based on the immediate announcements to go pro after the game by Elam and Floyd. Clearly that's what was on their mind if they were telling reporters that right after the game. The last time we had a group of Juniors thinking about their pro careers we were beat down by Alabama in the SECCG.
Swamp Queen wrote:I miss basketball just so you negative tards couldn't complain as much.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby gatordad » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:34 am

GatorTAG wrote:I said it last night and I'll say it again. I can't wait until this group of starting olinemen graduate. Easily the worst group we've had at UF in 30 years.

It is also easy now to see why the defense was so flat last night based on the immediate announcements to go pro after the game by Elam and Floyd. Clearly that's what was on their mind if they were telling reporters that right after the game. The last time we had a group of Juniors thinking about their pro careers we were beat down by Alabama in the SECCG.

+1

...and then there's Matt Patchan...
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans-John Lennon
gatordad
Heisman Gator

Postby DaddyGator » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:55 am

The first :10 of the game was outstanding. Thereafter, words fail me.

Still waiting for Cover's award to be unveiled.
Illegitimi non carborundum
DaddyGator
Heisman Gator

Postby HardToKillGtr » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:57 am

On penalties. The personal foul stuff is lack of impulse control which infects our coach. Coach does it. Must be ok. Out of conference ref crew comes in knowing all this. Why wouldn't they nail us after being being sworn at and cursed by a young coach with no juice. Come on Muschamp zip it during a game. Charley Young acted like the class act he is. This made Coach WM look worse than he is.
HardToKillGtr
Baby Gator

Postby Ancient Reptile » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:48 pm

HardToKillGtr wrote:On penalties. The personal foul stuff is lack of impulse control which infects our coach. Coach does it. Must be ok. Out of conference ref crew comes in knowing all this. Why wouldn't they nail us after being being sworn at and cursed by a young coach with no juice. Come on Muschamp zip it during a game. Charley Young acted like the class act he is. This made Coach WM look worse than he is.

You may be a "Baby Gator" with 17 posts, but this one is dead on. Wonder what CWM said to earn the critically damaging 15 yd penalty?
Ancient Reptile
Heisman Gator

Postby Beauregard » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:16 pm

The title of this thread is hilarious.
Beauregard
Freshman Gator

Postby SavannahGator » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:45 pm

HardToKillGtr wrote:On penalties. The personal foul stuff is lack of impulse control which infects our coach. Coach does it. Must be ok. Out of conference ref crew comes in knowing all this. Why wouldn't they nail us after being being sworn at and cursed by a young coach with no juice. Come on Muschamp zip it during a game. Charley Young acted like the class act he is. This made Coach WM look worse than he is.

Excellent post, but who the heck is Charley Young :question: :question: That's not even a typo :lol: :lol:
"A life is not important - except in the impact it has on other lives" . . . Jackie Robinson
SavannahGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby WC5 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:30 pm

I am with you C2. had to wait a day to post a response. I am still proud of the season and a Gator for life, but,
We have shown the inability to get up for games all year and this falls to either the coaching and/or the immaturity and egos of the team. There was way too much dancing around for a team getting their arse handed to them. We simply were not ready to play. This also shows in our penalties.

Once again Driskell looked like a scared kid, way late throws, staring at his receivers and not reading the D. This was like the LSU Clemson game. Great QB against a wannabe. Driskell has not displayed any leadership capabilities all year, despite my hope. I would have started Burton...

The O-line has continued to, well, suck, all year (or 3). That is all I can say.
We need new QB and receiver coaches for sure.

Our D has been able to stuff the box against the run and play man for much of the year, but we still not been able to get reliable QB pressure. Although some of the youngsters give me hope for next years.

Much of our secondaries success this year has been on the premise that the opposing QB will make mistakes. Normally they do, Teddy was great and didn't make any. I am actually suprised our D was as good this year as they were, because who did they practice against? There is no way our DB's can progress in practice when they only have our duds to practice against. Same for the D-line, they had to dominate our O in practice.

Just the humble thoughts of someone who became a gator during the trying late 70's

the Mighty Gators will be back!
WC5
Redshirt Gator

Postby DaddyGator » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:06 pm

Ancient Reptile wrote:

You may be a "Baby Gator" with 17 posts, but this one is dead on. Wonder what CWM said to earn the critically damaging 15 yd penalty?

Good question. I'm sure the network has a camera trained on Boom during the entire game just to catch that excorcist head spin moment. Didn't see any of that last night but admittedly I had my eyes closed for most of the game.

Illegitimi non carborundum
DaddyGator
Heisman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum