Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BlackLabGator, DeathRoll, gatorJ, gatorzen, Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, NavetG8r, ufgatorfan97 and 46 guests

Tale of Two Coaches

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Tale of Two Coaches

Postby mtn2top » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:45 am

One of the biggest surprises of the night was the contrast between the two coaches. This had as much to do with the outcome of the game as any other factor.

Strong played the game conservatively and steady, playing the odds for most of the night. It payed off for Louisville. He showed the nearly thirty years of experience he has in coaching.

On the other sideline Muschamp seemed subdued and erratic in his decision making. He started the game throwing the ball, went for the on-side kick early and was quick to abandon the running game. I was really surprised that he did not employ the same steady approach he's shown all season on the sidelines.

I still support Coach Boom and believe he will get the Gators on track next year. I have to admit that I'm baffled by the change in his approach in how he coached during this game. Strong was easily the better head coach as shown in the outcome of the game.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Re: Tale of Two Coaches

Postby GatorStud » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:51 am

Strong's been on a few championship teams and it showed... he was a bit Gatorish over there on the sideline... prepared, gracious and schemed the hell out of us.
GatorStud
Head Ball Coach

Postby Mus_champ11 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:57 am

Remember that this is the 1st time all year that our defense was horrible
against the pass. Especially when you consider that UL does not have a
running game since they had some key injuries.

Muschamp knew we had to stop the bleeding and gain some traction.

It really sucks for Gillislie that our defense sucked so bad that we
had to abandon our game plan.

What an awful night.
Mus_champ11
All-American Gator

Postby WestSideGata » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:58 am

Charlie is pure class, and the reality is that his team wanted it more. The Gators were arrogant and it did not matter what Boom did, it was not meant to be. I am perplexed by the onside kick, but he is trying anything to get them motivated. I only wish Boom would've come out on the players more, and that Brissett would have been given a shot. Boom will be great and bring the next Gator NC.
WestSideGata
True Gator

Postby Black Magic » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:58 am

Agreed. I think it really came down to the fact that we had nothing to play for. Louisville wanted this real bad. Hell, our fans didn't even buy many of the tickets.

All in all, it was a great season with some quality wins. I hope they are competing for championships next year.
Black Magic
Baby Gator

Postby law98gator » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:06 am

WestSideGata wrote:Boom will be great and bring the next Gator NC.

Maybe, but not in the next few years. He has an unexplainable commitment to Driskel (a Meyer recruit). Next year's defense won't be strong enough to carry the team and the offense will be weaker.

We're looking at a big dropoff next year, like 6-6 again.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby gardnerwebbalumnigator » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:07 am

Just a hunch, but when Spurrier retires in three years or so, Charlie ends up at USC as HC.
"Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
gardnerwebbalumnigator
Head Ball Coach

Postby GatorStud » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:09 am

Yeah in this league you only have a few years to make your mark and grab a few crystals before the league D's sniff you out and make it progressively more difficult. Almost pulled it off with this D minus that dawg game.
GatorStud
Head Ball Coach

Postby GBHOR » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:10 am

law98gator wrote:

Maybe, but not in the next few years. He has an unexplainable commitment to Driskel (a Meyer recruit). Next year's defense won't be strong enough to carry the team and the offense will be weaker.

Valid points but im thinking 8-4, hope im wrong....but JD...sheesh
GBHOR
All-American Gator

Postby Quasimodo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:20 am

This was especially hard to watch for those of us that wanted Foley to hire Charlie Strong instead of Muschamp. Tonight, I can't help but think about what Strong could of accomplished with the talent we have.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Quasimodo
Head Ball Coach

Postby I Have No Friends :( » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:27 am

Quasimodo wrote:This was especially hard to watch for those of us that wanted Foley to hire Charlie Strong instead of Muschamp. Tonight, I can't help but think about what Strong could of accomplished with the talent we have.

This had to be a hard season for you, since you usually only show up after a loss ;)
gatorpe wrote:Urb is a low life lying lover jilting big ten dBAG.

I Have No Friends :(
Bull Gator

Postby GatorJay26 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:32 am

Also, the difference in demeanor speaks volumes as well. Is it a coincidence that a coach that loses his mind on the sidelines yelling and cursing has players with no discipline while the coach who is cool and collected has a disciplined team? Just a thought..
GatorJay26
True Gator

Postby Gatorbythebay » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:33 am

Strong is a cornball brotha :D
Gatorbythebay
Head Ball Coach

Postby itsgr82baflagator » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:36 am

I Have No Friends :( wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:This was especially hard to watch for those of us that wanted Foley to hire Charlie Strong instead of Muschamp. Tonight, I can't help but think about what Strong could of accomplished with the talent we have.

This had to be a hard season for you, since you usually only show up after a loss ;)

:lmao2:
itsgr82baflagator
Head Ball Coach

Postby Gator_Machine » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:03 am

I really do not understand Jeremy Foley's fascination to keep going after "the next Bob Stoops" and a defensive minded coach instead of one that favors offense. Foley already struck out twice in going after Stoops. I am trying to get behind Muschamp but his mannerisms & sideline antics annoy me. That 15-yard penalty for Muschamp going psycho on the sidelines was not cool when UF was trying to have a drive on offense. His decision to keep doing onside kicks when it wasn't close to be executing was puting his defense in terrible field position. Also, to have Purifoy return kick-offs instead of Andre Debose seemed to have backfired all night if not for Purifoy's injury (dirty play by the Lvlle player btw for leading with the helmet).

If Foley wanted a defensive minded coach, why not keep it in the family & give Charlie Strong THE opportunity at the state's flagship university. Strong has experience as UF's DC on the last two national title winning teams; plus, Strong also has ties to every Florida coach since the Charlie Pell/Galen Hall days. That fact alone is unbelievable. And who knows, Bridewater may have been the Florida QB as well had Foley hired Strong in the first place!

This Sugar Bowl performance by Florida was an embarrassment. The team looked unprepared & disinterested.
Gator_Machine
Freshman Gator

Postby DudeRanchBuddha » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:24 am

Charlie Strong found what seems to be a perfect place. At most places, they'll love anyone who can make them successful, but those Louisville fans seem to have a genuine adoration for their coach. We saw the groundwork laid down tonight, they're getting ready to build a powerhouse. They're gonna wreck teams in the ACC, and if they run the table, they'll be playing for it all.

Charlie Strong wouldn't have worked out here, let's be honest. There are some changes we just might not see be made. Let's not forget that this is the same town where a SENIOR quarterback got booed at HOME during a CHAMPIONSHIP season. If we have fans that were low enough to boo Chris Leak and call for Tebow, what would stop them from booing Charlie Strong and calling for his head after losing a few games?

I love Charlie Strong and am glad he's found a home. Tonight was the beginning of something big, and with as much as he gave this program, I don't have any animosity for him starting his run with giving us a tail whipping.

It was something else to finally see him get the Gatorade bath and accept the trophy.
DudeRanchBuddha
Senior Gator

Postby mtn2top » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:32 am

Charlie Strong and the UL coaches deserve a lot of credit for the win. They prepared and most importantly motivated their players to compete at a very high championship level. His team and players peaked in the last and most important game of the season.

From comments he's made all season in pressers, Muschamp seemed to take an even approach in game preparation. It's the same every week and game. Business as usual. That professional approach worked for UF for most of the season.

I don't know Strong's style as a HBC, but he spent a lot of time with Spurrier and Meyer, who both are as much a psychologist as a coach in handling players. There's something to treating some games at a higher emotional level. I believe this was a significant factor in the outcome of the game and hope Coach Boom learns from it.

I'm even more happy after this game to know that Charlie did not take the Tennessee job.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby ncargat1 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:18 am

That is pretty easy to answer. After back to back losing seasons, he would have been fired. Charlie Strong went 7-6, 7-6 in the freakin Big Least. You really think he would have mustered 7 wins in Gainesville for 2 year, and if he had there is NO chance he would have stayed here. Apparently the short memoried amongst us forgets all of the pissing and moaning about Charlie playing zone year after year and our defense bending and bending and well, eventually breaking a time or two.

I really like Charlie Strong. I think he gave UF everything he had, and I think he caught several raw deals from not being asked to be a head coach at several schools. I am glad he is doing well at Louisville and I believe that he can win the ACC as bad as that league is.

However, I am still glad that Muschamp is the Florida head coach. He is not as nice of a guy, he is not as calm, and yes, a little more erratic. Regardless, he has better national appeal in recruiting, his defensive style is more enjoyable than the Charlie's "bend but don't break" and quite honestly, we needed a total colon cleansing of the program from anyone who had the Urban Stench about them.
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
- Thomas Paine
ncargat1
Head Ball Coach

Postby gatordad » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:23 am

You have a pretty good point. Still love the guy...
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans-John Lennon
gatordad
Heisman Gator

Postby The RH Factor » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:46 am

law98gator wrote:

Hey, guys, I just wanted you to know that it wasn't me that said this or thinks this.
The RH Factor
Head Ball Coach

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum