Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests

FSU...Explained.

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

FSU...Explained.

Postby gatordad » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:57 am

Great writing about the school out West...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... &eref=sihp
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans-John Lennon
gatordad
Heisman Gator

Re: FSU...Explained.

Postby mtn2top » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:06 pm

The writer really nails the inconsistency at FSU without mentioning the UF beat-down, which may have been one of the best games they played all season, and still lost.

Really enjoyed this section of the article.

The most telling moment of the night came in the fourth quarter, when Florida State fans actually mustered up the gall to chant, "Overrated" at Northern Illinois. After years of seeing high rankings turn into subsequent disappointments, FSU fans managed to become more inexplicable than the team itself.

In the last nine seasons, Florida State has finished worse in the final AP Poll than its preseason ranking seven times. (That includes this season's Week 15 ranking instead of the final one.) It's been ranked an average of seven slots too high ever year.

Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby Gulfstream » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:43 pm

There seems to be alot of this going around today. I love it ! :D

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/5 ... ng-fashion
Hey, you want something done right, don't ask me.
Gulfstream
All-American Gator

Postby Gulfstream » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:51 pm

Freakin ay! Even Forde feels compelled to get on the action.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--all ... 05810.html

:D :D
Gulfstream
All-American Gator

Postby rogdochar » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:04 pm

Writer calls out FSU's halcyon days. It struck me that the original
meaning of halcyon is a "mythical bird" (predecessor to the real
kingFisher family) ? that further straps 'Noles to feathers and with
mascot to horsefeathers.

The Myth-factor fits since FSU soars only in the imaginary land of
offseason/preseason. Then they're back .. to "brokeback mounting",
right after dive-bombing from their lofty pre-season perch, all
for the minnow-Fisher.

Author takes Hopkins' NCAA record # of FGs to indict 'Noles inability
to get into the end zone, once in red zone -versus ACC defenses. =
(That's their d-bag 'debrag').

From establishing FSU's Psycho-cycle of underachievement,
he well-scoffs at 'Nole fans chanting "OVERRATED" at the NIU team.
What truly dominant team does that idea strike. Again it's them
chanting their very own d-bag 'debrag' .. having a tuff go vs NIU.
They are a trained = :vols:
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby DCflorida » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:17 pm

Utopia is near. Tennessee and Miami are done for at least the next 5 years, maybe forever. FSU is mired in a cycle as described in the article where they never quite seem to be as good as advertised, and they're given a false impression each year by playing in the ACC. As long as UF is stable with its head coach, I see us beating FSU at least 7-8 times a decade.

Now all we need is for UGA to resort back to their Ray Goff days.
DCflorida
Bull Gator

Postby Homer J » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:47 pm

Why do people think that they have not recruited well over the last 10 years? They have had some great players (players that we wanted) and they still lost. As far as recruiting is concerned, they're in the same boat as UGA.

"Why is it that during recruiting season they sign all the great players, but when it comes time to play the game, we have all the great players? I don't understand that. What happens to them?"

SOS
Homer J
Head Ball Coach

Postby GR8R_G8R » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:57 pm

SI has fsu nailed. IMO, as long as fisher is head coach, they will not be a legitimate top-5 team. He apparently is a great recruiter, but, as we saw when he was the REAL head coach during bobby b.'s last few years, he does not know how to coach 'em up. Personally, nothing makes me happier. IMO, he is very overrated.
GR8R_G8R
Freshman Gator

Postby Maillot Jaune » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:05 pm

A couple other gems from another article:

- FSU was wearing "Florida Statement" t shirts after beating the powerhouse of NIU. Sad.

- Werner was quoted saying "it's not the national championship, but right below it." Playing NIU, yeah, that's right below the BCSCG.
Maillot Jaune
Heisman Gator

Postby Ancient Reptile » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:23 pm

He should have mentioned UF along with ND, Bama , Oregon, and OK.
Ancient Reptile
Heisman Gator

Postby Beauregard » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:39 pm

Really, I don't know that FSU could have "won" this game now matter how they won. A close game and FSU sucks; a total blowout and NIU sucks and FSU didn't beat anybody; a remotely competitive game and they both suck. There just wasn't going to be a great storyline for FSU no matter the outcome and it was just a boring matchup in a bowl game that just doesn't seem to produce a great atmosphere anymore, for some reason. I don't think the Orange Bowl is as prestigious as it was in the '70s-'90s when Oklahoma and Nebraska were going there all the time in their prime years and matching up with a lot of other big-time programs with the national title on the line in a lot of those years.

But I will say this in defense of FSU as a program since everyone here is giving them a hard time about underachieving through the years. They have done something UF hasn't done: They've gone undefeated. They have run the gauntlet without stubbing their toe somewhere along the way. And I want to say they were wire-to-wire #1 when they did it. They once lived up to preseason expectations to the fullest extent that you can. So there's something the Noles have accomplished (though they should have done it more times than they did back in those days) that the Gators can aspire to.
Beauregard
Freshman Gator

Postby Maillot Jaune » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:48 pm

There is nothing at FSU that a UF grad aspires to. You need to get some perspective. Then, you need to go away, forever.

You are the guy at the party everyone avoids. Unfortunately on the GSMB you can just pop in on any conversation.
Maillot Jaune
Heisman Gator

Postby shortcast » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:09 pm

Beauregard wrote:Really, I don't know that FSU could have "won" this game now matter how they won. A close game and FSU sucks; a total blowout and NIU sucks and FSU didn't beat anybody; a remotely competitive game and they both suck. There just wasn't going to be a great storyline for FSU no matter the outcome and it was just a boring matchup in a bowl game that just doesn't seem to produce a great atmosphere anymore, for some reason. I don't think the Orange Bowl is as prestigious as it was in the '70s-'90s when Oklahoma and Nebraska were going there all the time in their prime years and matching up with a lot of other big-time programs with the national title on the line in a lot of those years.

But I will say this in defense of FSU as a program since everyone here is giving them a hard time about underachieving through the years. They have done something UF hasn't done: They've gone undefeated. They have run the gauntlet without stubbing their toe somewhere along the way. And I want to say they were wire-to-wire #1 when they did it. They once lived up to preseason expectations to the fullest extent that you can. So there's something the Noles have accomplished (though they should have done it more times than they did back in those days) that the Gators can aspire to.

Ok...but they did it with a 28yr old Quarterback :rolleyes:
"Apparently, I'm supposed to be more angry about what Mitt Romney does with his money than what Barack Obama does with mine." David Burge Iowa Blog
shortcast
Senior Gator

Postby Homer J » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:26 pm

shortcast wrote:
Beauregard wrote:Really, I don't know that FSU could have "won" this game now matter how they won. A close game and FSU sucks; a total blowout and NIU sucks and FSU didn't beat anybody; a remotely competitive game and they both suck. There just wasn't going to be a great storyline for FSU no matter the outcome and it was just a boring matchup in a bowl game that just doesn't seem to produce a great atmosphere anymore, for some reason. I don't think the Orange Bowl is as prestigious as it was in the '70s-'90s when Oklahoma and Nebraska were going there all the time in their prime years and matching up with a lot of other big-time programs with the national title on the line in a lot of those years.

Ok...but they did it with a 28yr old Quarterback :rolleyes:

And in the ACC.
Homer J
Head Ball Coach

Postby AlexDaGator » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:31 pm

True, we never went wire-to-wire undefeated MNC. Of course, that only matters if you think pre-season polls matter. :rolleyes: I'll take our 3 MNCs (all while playing the toughest schedule in the country) over their 2 (with one being an undefeated season) any day.

On a related note, we won a MNC by blowing out our arch-rival 52-20 in the championship game. I guess that's something FSU can only aspire to.

While we're at it, we have 3 Heisman trophy winners. That's something Bama can only aspire to. We also have better teeth and don't think of family reunions as good places to "pick up". Something else Bama can only aspire to.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, go piss up a rope. That's something you can aspire to.

Alex.
AlexDaGator
Heisman Gator

Postby gatorJ » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:04 pm

AlexDaGator wrote:

True, we never went wire-to-wire undefeated MNC. Of course, that only matters if you think pre-season polls matter. :rolleyes: I'll take our 3 MNCs (all while playing the toughest schedule in the country) over their 2 (with one being an undefeated season) any day.

On a related note, we won a MNC by blowing out our arch-rival 52-20 in the championship game. I guess that's something FSU can only aspire to.

While we're at it, we have 3 Heisman trophy winners. That's something Bama can only aspire to. We also have better teeth and don't think of family reunions as good places to "pick up". Something else Bama can only aspire to.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, go piss up a rope. That's something you can aspire to.

Alex.

Magnificent.
oxrageous wrote:Well you're sure in for a surprise. Peasant.
gatorJ
Head Ball Coach

Postby Gulfstream » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:07 pm

AlexDaGator wrote:

Alex.

:owned:
Gulfstream
All-American Gator

Postby I Have No Friends :( » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:36 pm

There was the report from CBSSports.com's Bruce Feldman Tuesday about a testy hospitality room exchange between an unnamed Northern Illinois rep and an unnamed Orange Bowl rep. According to Feldman, it culminated with the Orange Bowl rep saying, "You guys don't even deserve to be here. We didn't even want you here."

This made me :lol:

No more affirmative action BCS bowl games.
gatorpe wrote:Urb is a low life lying lover jilting big ten dBAG.

I Have No Friends :(
Bull Gator

Postby GulfG8r » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:05 pm

Turd pile alert!

the word pedantic comes to mind
GulfG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby ReelGatorDoc » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:36 pm

Wait a minute...I saw a tee shirt that said FSu was BACK

maybe it meant they were "at the" back, again.

The Noles live in la la land and it's happy there with the clowns
It's Great to be a Florida GATOR!
ReelGatorDoc
Head Ball Coach

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum