Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Hoosier Gator, MSNbot Media and 37 guests

The Head Ball Coach

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

The Head Ball Coach

Postby SavannahGator » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:04 pm

Tony Barnhart, aka @MrCFB on twitter, tweeted: That's why he's The Head Ball Coach

There is no doubt - no other coach would have the cojones to have his 2nd string QB (who we shut down, I might add), throw that pass to win the game, as opposed to throwing something shorter and play for the FG.

Afterwards, SOS was asked if he ever won any others like that, he said something like just a few, but I can remember one in particular at UF, back in 1993 in Lexington, KY: "Doering's got a touchdown."
"A life is not important - except in the impact it has on other lives" . . . Jackie Robinson
SavannahGator
Head Ball Coach

Re: The Head Ball Coach

Postby vulcan_alex » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:09 pm

Yes and when asked as usual credited the players and not himself. Most wins at UF and SC. Probably will be coaching until he can't.
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Postby TommyGator » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:11 pm

He has been great for a long time, and that post game interview was vintage!
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser
TommyGator
Heisman Gator

Postby diehardg8r » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:18 pm

97 FSU at the swamp qualifies IMO.
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.” Dante
diehardg8r
Bull Gator

Postby UFever » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:19 pm

He's a Gator.
UFever
Heisman Gator

Postby rogdochar » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:52 pm

The funniest most serious coach in CFB. One of the best at
creating programs from prime-ordeal ooze .
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby itsgr82bag8r » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:54 pm

UFever wrote:He's a Gator.

Agreed.

I was also pleased to see that he didn't stroke out on the spot when that idiot referee gave a first down to MI on the fake punt when TV showed it was obviously well short. :lol:
Travis McGee wrote:The SEC is on its most dominate stretch its history, and Tennessee has played no part.

"its great to be a Tennessee fan" ..said no one ever
itsgr82bag8r
Bull Gator

Postby NoVa Gator » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:28 pm

If only he can recruit well.
NoVa Gator
Heisman Gator

Postby law98gator » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:24 pm

Jadaveon Clowney
Marcus Lattimore
Stephon Gilmore
Alshon Jeffrey
and a crap load of defense

Seems like good recruiting to me, especially when he took over the program they fought Kintucky for last place perennially.

(I must have been drunk when I wrote that the first time.)
Last edited by law98gator on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Class of '78 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:32 pm

Why does this not surprise me? In Spurrier's world, there never was a bad play called, only occasional poor execution by the guys running it. And he never stopped believing that.

And @ Vulcan: I think you're right about Spurrier coaching until he drops. I wasn't convinced of that a couple months ago, but I am now.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby gardnerwebbalumnigator » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:35 pm

And he has Dabo on a leash, pure comedy gold.

All time winningest coach at two SEC schools? If we don't get the honor of pounding Leyer's ass in a bowl game next year, I hope SOS gets a shot at the bastard.
"Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
gardnerwebbalumnigator
Head Ball Coach

Postby SavannahGator » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:49 pm

Class of '78 wrote:Why does this not surprise me? In Spurrier's world, there never was a bad play called, only occasional poor execution by the guys running it. And he never stopped believing that.

And @ Vulcan: I think you're right about Spurrier coaching until he drops. I wasn't convinced of that a couple months ago, but I am now.

Yeah, when he was @ UF, he said he'd never coach after turning 60. Well, that age was passed seven years ago, and he's still on the sideline. I bet he coaches until he's 70 (unless he wins an SEC title sooner than that) and then calls it quits.

He's seemingly ageless.
"A life is not important - except in the impact it has on other lives" . . . Jackie Robinson
SavannahGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby Beauregard » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:56 pm

NoVa Gator wrote:If only he can recruit well.

He recruits well considering he's at USCe.
Beauregard
Freshman Gator

Postby cvillegatr68 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:13 pm

That was a great South Carolina vs. Michigan game. Great win for Spurrier's team. They deserved it.

I've never seen a worse referee call than when they ruled that Mich had a first down when it was absolutely clear to everyone that they were at least 1 inch short on the chain. It was an unbelievable error or something. Hard to understand. Do you ever remember seeing a more flagrant error by the officials in a football game?

Clowney cleared it all up on the next play by tackling the running back so hard he knocked his helmet off, made him fumble, and Clowney recovered the fumble. The only thing he didn't do was knock him out of his shoes.
cvillegatr68
Freshman Gator

Postby gatorspook » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:20 pm

SavannahGator wrote:Afterwards, SOS was asked if he ever won any others like that, he said something like just a few, but I can remember one in particular at UF, back in 1993 in Lexington, KY: "Doering's got a touchdown."

Second teamer qb in KY too.
gatorspook

Postby law98gator » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:20 pm

NoVa Gator wrote:If only he can recruit well.

He also landed the first #1 recruiting class at Florida in 98 or 99 (Berlin's class), something the so-called great recruiter The Zookie never did. But people just keep repeating the same old tired BS.
Last edited by law98gator on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby bobinstarke » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:21 pm

Oh my gosh. The Chop Aint helpin FSU...
bobinstarke
Baby Gator

Postby NVGator » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:31 pm

SavannahGator wrote:
Class of '78 wrote:Why does this not surprise me? In Spurrier's world, there never was a bad play called, only occasional poor execution by the guys running it. And he never stopped believing that.

Yeah, when he was @ UF, he said he'd never coach after turning 60. Well, that age was passed seven years ago, and he's still on the sideline. I bet he coaches until he's 70 (unless he wins an SEC title sooner than that) and then calls it quits.

He's seemingly ageless.

It was thought the same thing about Coach Ault, but then he up and retired this year. He's 67 and in great shape.

I can't blame anyone for wanting to retire.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby Coach9 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:11 pm

Coach's golf game has slipped a bit in recent years. So that makes retirement less attractive.
Coach9
Head Ball Coach

Postby jand3k » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:08 am

Yes, the Ole Ball Coach is still got it and I do love to see it...except vs UF.

As for SOS retiring, he said when he left UF that 12 years is about as long as you ever want to stay at one place. I think he'll be at SCAR for that long, no longer, and retire. And he's sorta building up to that right now by constantly talking about how they've accomplished a lot of "firsts" at SCAR.

He always liked building a program and he's done that at Duke, UF and now at SCAR. He's paving the way for a successor and at the same time reminding the SCAR fans of his success. That'll ease the pain when he leaves them after 12 seasons.

The only thing that'll keep him around, and it's ironic too, is if he's close to Bear Bryant's SEC wins record ala Bobby Bowden w/the all-time wins list. When you get older, your 'legacy' becomes important to you. Plus, he's competitive if you haven't noticed. So, being close to Bear's record could possibly make him decide to stay around longer than 12 years. IMO.

[edit] using Google, I see that:
- Bryant has 60 wins at KY and 232 at AL for a total of 292
- SOS has 122 wins at UF and 66 at SCAR for a total of 188
- that is a deficit of 104 wins and SOS has been at SCAR 8 years. So if he only stays for 12 then SCAR would need to avg 26 wins a year over the next 4.

OK, so that won't keep him around. I guess he'll just retire after 12 years then.

just my .02
jand3k
Head Ball Coach

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum