Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Clawhammergator, Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 44 guests

Stop, You're Running The Wrong Way Stupid

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Stop, You're Running The Wrong Way Stupid

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:53 pm

We've all made stupid mistakes, I guess, but it's darn embarassing when you do it in front of a lot of people.

One of the most famous plays in college football history. !929 Rose Bowl in Pasadena. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets versus California Golden Bears. Score is 0 to 0 midway through the second quarter. After a Tech fumble California's Roy Riegals recovers the ball, gets turned around, runs the wrong way. Ball spotted near the goal line. Cal doesn't even try to run it out deep in their own territory. They elect to punt on first down and end up getting a safety. Georgia Tech takes a 2-0 lead, and Tech goes on to win 8-7.

Riegals was distraught at halftime, did not want to come back on to the field, but did come back in the second half, blocked a punt, played a great second half. "Wrong Way Riegals" became part of the national lexicon.

One of the most famous plays in NFL history. 1964 San Francisco 49'er versus Minnesota Vikings. Jim Marshall defensive lineman, who was a great player, for the Vikings runs the ball the wrong way. A couple of interesting sidelights: the 49'er quarterback who threw the ball was George Mira, the Matador, the Miami Hurricane All-American from Key West.

Mira's receiver was none other than Billy Kilmer, the old UCLA tailback when UCLA played single wing due to the fact that their head coach was Bill Barnes, a University of Tennessee alum who was brought up at Tennessee playing single wing football. Kilmer was a versatile athlete, who as you know went on to have a colorful pro football career as a quarterback. Some of you will remember him when he played for the Washington Redkins.

This one happened this year in the opening game between Kent State Golden Flashes and Towson State whatever their nickname is. Andre Parker, sophomore linebacker for Kent State gets turned around and returns this muffled punt by Towson the wrong way. This one was all for naught because the refs called the play back because he was not allowed to advance a muffled punt either forward or backward. This one will not go down in football history, but is still funny to watch.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Re: Stop, You're Running The Wrong Way Stupid

Postby TommyGator » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:37 pm

Funny Stuff, Joe...

But wrong, just wrong... :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser
TommyGator
Heisman Gator

Postby BuckFudder » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:19 pm

Funny part is, you can almost hear them screaming "I AM A BADASS! NO ONE CAN TACKLE ME!"

Even funnier in that last video is that the other team tracked "wrongway" down and DID tackle him, rather than let him score for them. So who's the dumbest ones in that scenario?
BuckFudder
Senior Gator

Postby Zambo » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:14 pm

BuckFudder wrote:Even funnier in that last video is that the other team tracked "wrongway" down and DID tackle him, rather than let him score for them. So who's the dumbest ones in that scenario?

They should've set up a wedge. I'da laughed my ass off if those two would've shadowed behind him with their arms in the air in celebration.
GET A GRIP!
Zambo
Bull Gator

Postby rogdochar » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:39 pm

They did the right thing .... suppose to run to daylight. :football:
.... and you guys find fault with my CFB 'analysissy' posts. :razz:
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Swamp82 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:49 pm

Good stuff