Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 16 guests

Bowl attendance

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Bowl attendance

Postby Homer J » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:22 pm

When will the NCAA realize there are too many bowls? There must be 10,000 people at the Belk bowl and there were less than that at the St Petersberg Bowl or the WKU / Western Michigan game last night.
Homer J
Head Ball Coach

Re: Bowl attendance

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:52 pm

What has hurt the bowls are (1) too many bowls and (2) the BCS Championship game.

All focus is shifted to the only game that counts anymore, the Championship game.

Watching the St. Petersburg Bowl game is about as thrilling as sitting on one of those green park benches watching squirrels.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby law98gator » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:55 pm

Homer J wrote: WKU / Western Michigan game last night.

Do WKU and South Western Michigan have 10,000 fans between them?
I have a slightly different take. There's no reason to pretend many of these teams are in the same division as the real Div 1A teams.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
Bammer wrote:Isn't government intrusion your flavor du jour, divits?
Isn’t every flavor ever known to man your flavor du jour?
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby gardnerwebbalumnigator » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:11 am

I think there were more in Charlotte tonight than at the A-She-She title game.
"Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
gardnerwebbalumnigator
Head Ball Coach

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:33 am

The Holiday Bowl has surprisingly good attendance, but the fact that it's in San Diego, not too far from UCLA, probably has something to do with it.
:burp:
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby WhoGator » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:33 am

Okeechobee Joe wrote:What has hurt the bowls are (1) too many bowls and (2) the BCS Championship game.

All focus is shifted to the only game that counts anymore, the Championship game.

Watching the St. Petersburg Bowl game is about as thrilling as sitting on one of those green park benches watching squirrels.

I think the fact that ticket prices are all over $100 each for basically lousy games doesn't help. Locals aren't just going to go for the sake of catching a decent college game.

:chomp:
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby WhoGator » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:41 am

Let me add one more thing... game dates. It's great for catching a game every night on TV, but terrible for fans attending.
Making it to a bowl game on Dec 30, 31 or January 1 doesn't take a lot of work sacrifice. I remember a Christmas Day Aloha Bowl that the Gators were in... doable. However, I worked yesterday, today and tomorrow. I will be working the day of the Gator Sugar Bowl as well as the day after. When bowl games aren't played during "holiday times", it's a huge commitment.

WhoGator
True Gator

Postby rogdochar » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:37 am

10,000 people ? That's too many for me. I'm waiting 'til it gets down
to my 3 friends & immediate family. Then I'll go, moving around to
catch the game from so many different angles.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby TN G8tr » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:06 am

Agreed. Too many bowls, too much $$$, and the scheduling. But I do love catching more games on the flat screen. They may not be the best quality, but it beats re-runs.
"Wake her *** up, we got a game to play."
TN G8tr
Bull Gator

Postby Gatorbythebay » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:11 am

TN G8tr wrote:Agreed. Too many bowls, too much $$$, and the scheduling. But I do love catching more games on the flat screen. They may not be the best quality, but it beats re-runs.

You could always hook up some HDMI cables to that flat screen, that would improve the quality ;) :D
Gatorbythebay
Head Ball Coach

Postby Maillot Jaune » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:38 am

Okeechobee Joe wrote:What has hurt the bowls are (1) too many bowls and (2) the BCS Championship game.

Watching the St. Petersburg Bowl game is about as thrilling as sitting on one of those green park benches watching squirrels.[/quote]

They do this a lot at Williams Park in St. Pete near the Bowl.
Maillot Jaune
Heisman Gator

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:18 am

Maillot Jaune wrote:

They do this a lot at Williams Park in St. Pete near the Bowl.

Yeah, I know. St. Pete is the waiting room to heaven. Nearest thing to being dead without being dead.
Last edited by Okeechobee Joe on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby 8802gator » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:13 am

You better watch what city you are talking trash about. I will go down to the country club and round up the Lincoln Town car gang. They be steady mobbin on the shuffleboard court.
"I want to thank God for makin' me a Gator" - Chandler Parsons
8802gator
Heisman Gator

Postby Swamp82 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:06 pm

Shuffle board court circuit, they some mad ass gangstas. Yep Gods little waiting room.
Need a smiley of old folks or folk with a walker
If you would like to keep your coach you can
Swamp82
Head Ball Coach

Postby UF_Cheme_Student » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Homer J wrote:When will the NCAA realize there are too many bowls? There must be 10,000 people at the Belk bowl and there were less than that at the St Petersberg Bowl or the WKU / Western Michigan game last night.

I think locations, ticket prices and terrible match ups have more to do with low attendance than the number of bowls.
UF_Cheme_Student
Heisman Gator

Postby MJMGator » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:19 pm

UF_Cheme_Student wrote:
Homer J wrote:When will the NCAA realize there are too many bowls? There must be 10,000 people at the Belk bowl and there were less than that at the St Petersberg Bowl or the WKU / Western Michigan game last night.

I think locations, ticket prices and terrible match ups have more to do with low attendance than the number of bowls.

The terrible match-ups are a direct result of the number of bowls. I chose not to go to the Sugar Bowl because of our opponent. Can you imagine the Semis wanting to go see NIU? LSU, Texas A&M and SC drew much better opponents and will likely sell their allotments, if they haven't already, in large part because of that.
t-gator wrote:
Out of all those sperm cells I can't believe 561 one the race
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby rogdochar » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:19 pm

8802gator wrote:You better watch what city you are talking trash about. I will go down to the country club and round up the Lincoln Town car gang. They be steady mobbin on the shuffleboard court.

Hatcha "8802gator",
the oldies start a newbee : shuffelboard flash-mobs.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Return to Gatorsports Forum