Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 205Gator, divits888, gatorJ, Gatornation561, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Leroy Jenkins, MSNbot Media, ockgator, WobbleGator and 38 guests

Former Gator Lomas Brown ruins rep with on-air comments

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Former Gator Lomas Brown ruins rep with on-air comments

Postby oxrageous » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:37 pm

...about former QB Scott Mitchell. He admits on the air at ESPN that he deliberately missed a block so Mitchell could get hurt, which he did. What he thought admitting something like this would do for his reputation and career God only knows. Just flat-out dumb. I'm sure this stuff happens all the time, but why bring it up now? This is also a guy that is part of suing the NFL for concussions.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... hell-hurt/

Scott Mitchell has responded:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ehensible/
“It just really hurt,” Mitchell said. “It was extremely disappointing. I’m really shocked by it, to be honest. Here’s a guy I’ve had in my house, I had a big dinner for the offensive linemen every year, he came to my house and ate dinner, I gave my offensive linemen gifts every year. For him to do that is just reprehensible, beyond words. It’s really disappointing, it really is painful. When you mess with my family, mess with my livelihood, mess with my health, it’s unacceptable. It’s B.S. I just wouldn’t do it to a teammate. I wouldn’t do it. If Lomas has a problem with me, come talk to me. To try to get someone hurt, it’s just mind-boggling.”

Discuss.
oxrageous

Re: Former Gator Lomas Brown ruins rep with on-air comments

Postby WobbleGator » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:47 pm

Lomas Brown = :facepalm:
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby DCflorida » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:18 pm

Lomas Brown is a borderline Hall of Famer, and it was widely believed that a solid post-football media career would boost his chances of someday being enshrined. Well, say goodbye to that theory.
DCflorida
Bull Gator

Postby MJMGator » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:24 pm

Read this a couple of days ago and just could not believe he came out and said it publicly. He deserves all the bad press he gets for being so stupid.
t-gator wrote:
Out of all those sperm cells I can't believe 561 one the race
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby oxrageous » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:29 pm

Remember, this is also a guy suing the NFL for allowing him to get concussions without being advised that they were bad for him.
oxrageous

Postby Bog8r » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:44 pm

This is something that is done at all levels of football. The QB gets too big for his britches, somebody whiffs on a block or the center snaps the ball early in to his fingers. Lomas Brown is one of the best tactical tackles to EVER play the game.
Under NO circumstances does a player of any sport ever tell these kind of stories. Reunions maybe, to other players, not to the media that hold your HOF induction in their hands. Atleast he was telling it on himself.
Bog8r
Baby Gator

Postby mtn2top » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:54 pm

Lomas was a great player at every level. It's disappointing he would show such poor sportsmanship and then be proud enough of the incident to relate it on national television.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby bullag8r » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:24 pm

Proof of one-too many concussions for him to disclose this now. Deeply disappointing. :(
bullag8r
All-American Gator

Postby Beauregard » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:40 pm

Pretty low thing to do at the time, and it was very stupid to bring it up all these years later. I think that about sums it up, yeah.
Beauregard
Freshman Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:11 pm

We're left to ponder which was worse, the act itself or the admission of it 18 years later.

I assume Lomas didn't go into law after the NFL or take the Wonderlic prior to being drafted. He'd have failed either.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby jagator0 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:27 pm

Wait a second now. Mitchell is stinking it up. Brown gets him out of the game. Krieg comes in and nearly pulls out the game. Sounds like he was doing whatever it took to win. Isn't that his job? If the coach doesn't have the stones to change QBs and worse, doesn't have his best one in the game and the other players know it. are they supposed to just keep their mouths shut and lose?

As Herm Edwards said "You Play...to win...the GAME!"
jagator0
Heisman Gator

Postby bullag8r » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:27 pm

The act is a lack of good character. The public admission is a lack of intelligence.
bullag8r
All-American Gator

Postby gatorspook » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:31 pm

bullag8r wrote:The act is a lack of good character. The public admission is a lack of intelligence.

The admission is maybe an oversimplification, really. But if this is what it takes for Lomas to clear his heart, good for him. I'm not that big of a man. I respect him for owning up to his mistake in the way HE felt appropriate.
gatorspook

Postby law98gator » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:31 pm

Wow.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby crosscreekcooter » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:37 pm

gatorspook wrote:
bullag8r wrote:The act is a lack of good character. The public admission is a lack of intelligence.

The admission is maybe an oversimplification, really. But if this is what it takes for Lomas to clear his heart, good for him. I'm not that big of a man. I respect him for owning up to his mistake in the way HE felt appropriate.

http://www.freep.com/article/20121226/SPORTS01/121226021/scott-mitchell-lomas-brown-detroit-lions?odyssey=nav%7Chead
I'm not so sure he was clearing his heart. This isn't the first time he knocked Mitchell.

In a previous TV segment in November, Brown had taken another shot at Mitchell, criticizing his tackling prowess by saying, "I played with a guy named Scott Mitchell. 6-5, 250 pounds. And when he threw an interception, fetal position. Fetal, olé, to the sideline. And as a lineman, you throw it, I want you to come help me get this guy. Don't just lay in the fetal position and expect me to get it."

"As you can tell, I'm just not a big fan of Scott Mitchell," Brown said last week. "He's not on my Christmas list."
crosscreekcooter
Head Ball Coach

Postby jagator0 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:52 pm

What's the difference in this and intentionally allowing a team to score so you can get the ball back and give your team a chance to win? Other than getting a guy hurt, there's no difference. You do what you have to to give your team a shot at winning.
jagator0
Heisman Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:56 pm

jagator0 wrote:Wait a second now. Mitchell is stinking it up. Brown gets him out of the game. Krieg comes in and nearly pulls out the game. Sounds like he was doing whatever it took to win. Isn't that his job? If the coach doesn't have the stones to change QBs and worse, doesn't have his best one in the game and the other players know it. are they supposed to just keep their mouths shut and lose?

Dumbass.
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Panhandle Gator » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:02 pm

Well, it was a dumb thing to say, but I've still got his back as the foundation of the Great Wall of Florida, the best offensive line this school as ever had. (Phil Bromley, Lomas Brown, Billy Hinson, Crawford Ker, Scott Trimble and Jeff Zimmerman)

He never whiffed on Kerwin's blind side and was a leader our first ever SEC Championship team of 1984.
Panhandle Gator
Freshman Gator

Postby Maillot Jaune » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:11 pm

For a guy thagt SEEMS to have it together, this is an incredibly stupid admission.

He's had a HOF carrer in the NFL and while at UF. I hope this doesn't negate both. He would have been in the ROH given he goes to the Hall.
Maillot Jaune
Heisman Gator

Postby bullag8r » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:24 pm

jagator0 wrote:Wait a second now. Mitchell is stinking it up. Brown gets him out of the game. Krieg comes in and nearly pulls out the game. Sounds like he was doing whatever it took to win. Isn't that his job? If the coach doesn't have the stones to change QBs and worse, doesn't have his best one in the game and the other players know it. are they supposed to just keep their mouths shut and lose?

How many concussions have you had? If you don't agree with the coach~ mutiny. Sounds like the Jets. That is a terrorist's rationale.
bullag8r
All-American Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum