Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], lgator, MSNbot Media, muddycorey and 27 guests

Pete Carroll

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Pete Carroll

Postby Class of '78 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:47 am

Maybe you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. Carroll has led the Seahawks to an 10-5 record and the playoffs in his third season -- his third stint in the NFL -- doing it with a stout defense and a rookie quarterback.

Seattle's now won four in a row after yesterday's win over San Francisco. There may not be a more dangerous team entering the playoffs.

Not to beat a dead horse (which means I just did :lol:), but do you suppose Saban is watching all of this with an interested eye?
Last edited by Class of '78 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Re: Pete Carroll

Postby BMF » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:56 am

Carroll got out of USC while the gettin' was good....but he has done a great job at Seattle. The balls it took to start a 5'7'' rookie QB over a high dollar free agent off-season aquisition are huge! He (or the front office) has done a great job aquiring a competitive team in a short time.

Not sure about Saban, but you gotta think he has an itch to get back into the NFL. On the other hand, he has it made where he is. He's 60 or 61 years old. Not sure if he'd want to start from scratch in the NFL (when he could easily stay there and possibly win a few more national championships).

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby Class of '78 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:03 am

He's a little taller than 5-7 -- he's listed at 5-11 -- but I get the gist of the comment about Wilson. Almost unheard of to have a rookie quarterback play that well let along lead a team to the playoffs.

This is one helluva good team, with a positive-160-point differential. Most important, it's won four in a row. The team that goes to the Super Bowl is always the one that gets hot late in the season, and no on is hotter right now than Seattle.

Re Saban, yes, more likely he'd be interested in team needing only a few pieces versus rebuilding.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:04 am

Seattle is one of those places I'd love to see an NFL game. It's actually a place where the fans are a part of the game experience, which is awfully rare these days in the NFL. That game last night reminded me a lot of a college football atmosphere rather than a random conglomeration of corporate zombies flashing their wealth status all over the place.
:burp:
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:09 am

That is, in fact, a killer stadium, very intimate for the fans.

Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby CGgater » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:32 pm

Class of '78 wrote:Maybe you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. Carroll has led the Seahawks to an 10-5 record and the playoffs in his third season -- his third stint in the NFL -- doing it with a stout defense and a rookie quarterback.

Seattle's now won four in a row after yesterday's win over San Francisco. There may not be a more dangerous team entering the playoffs.

Not to beat a dead horse (which means I just did :lol:), but do you suppose Saban is watching all of this with an interested eye?

Beat me to it. :madevil: I was pondering this last night...

pete "I didn't know that was going on" carroll has definitely caught lighting in a bottle with Wilson.

But YES, pete has proven that if at first you don't succeed... If saban has any interest in one more shot at the NFL, he might make the jump as several intriguing job opportunities may be available in the next few weeks. If he's more interested in racking up more MNCs than any other college coach, he'll stay at bamuh for another 5-10 years.

Side note: If the latter, how do bamuh fans view the saban/bear comparisons??? :eek:
CGgater
All-American Gator

Postby -THE DUDE- » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:48 pm

Class of '78 wrote:Maybe you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. Carroll has led the Seahawks to an 10-5 record and the playoffs in his third season -- his third stint in the NFL -- doing it with a stout defense and a rookie quarterback.

there is probably going to be an opening in chicago real soon :lol:
-THE DUDE-
Head Ball Coach

Postby -THE DUDE- » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:54 pm

Sasquatch Gator wrote:Seattle is one of those places I'd love to see an NFL game. It's actually a place where the fans are a part of the game experience, which is awfully rare these days in the NFL. That game last night reminded me a lot of a college football atmosphere rather than a random conglomeration of corporate zombies flashing their wealth status all over the place.

you want a college football atmosphere in the NFL? Go to a Green Bay game. Unbelievable tailgate scene, stadium is right in the middle of what feels like a small town neighborhood (there are literally houses all around the stadium), metal bleachers that they cram fans in...and after the south endzone expansion is done it will be the 4th largest stadium in the NFL...great place for a game :cool:
-THE DUDE-
Head Ball Coach

Postby crosscreekcooter » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:06 pm

crosscreekcooter
Head Ball Coach

Postby Class of '78 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:34 pm

-THE DUDE- wrote:

I called it a week ago after yet another loss to Green Bay, this time at home. It's time. Similar to Dungy at Tampa Bay, Smith has taken the Bears to a higher level but not the promise land. That's no longer enough.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby Scott512 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:35 pm

I think Nick Saban would consider taking over a pretty good NFL team but not a terrible team that needs lots of work. I am sure Saban knows what Carroll is doing in Seattle and thinks he can do that too. But they have different coaching styles and personalities. Pete is more upbeat while Nick is more dictatorial.

A couple things about Carroll. I have never seen an NFL team score 50, 50 and 40 plus points in 3 straight games. :eek: I cannot believe one of Carroll's teams is doing this since he is a defensive minded coach. Carroll should be NFL coach of the year. What he and his staff has done with a rookie QB and that defense blows me away. And the offense is not that talented. And the Seahawks scored more than 40 points last night against the Niners and their #1 rated defense. Unreal. And the way carroll's defense has played againt elite NFL QB's this season has been unreal. Wow.

Carroll coached 9 years at USC and the first 5 or 6 years were stellar. I wonder if he will be better in Seattle the first few years compared to his last few years there.

Carroll coached 4 more years at USC after the NCAA invesitgation started. People generally think he ran out on Southern Cal but that just is not the case. No one thought the NCAA would crush USC with sanctions and penalties the way they did which is why Carroll coached 4 more seasons at SC. He thought they would get slapped not crushed for their infractions. No doubt Carroll slipped in recruiting at SC which is why his record got worse. The recruiting drop off really surprised me because playing college football in LA at USC would a thrill for dozens of top high school prospects nationwide.

Carroll was not a failure as an NFL head coach before he got to Seattle they way Sban was a failure with the Dolphins. That is another misnomer about Pete. He was a decent NFL head coach before Seattle. He won a division title in New England. Then in his first season with the Seahawks Seattle beat the defending super bowl champion Saints in the first round of the playoffs that year too shocking the NFL with that massive upset. No doubt Carroll rolled the dice with Matt Flynn and then with Russell Wilson. Pete went with his gut instint and started the undersized rooke Wilson and he has been outstanding to the surprise of many.

I don't see Seattle getting out of the NFC but they could be dangerous in the playoffs. The NFC is better than the AFC this year so winning the NFC will be very tough. The Packers are hot now and getting healthier. Watch out for them. Maybe Seattle at Green Bay in the playoffs. That would be a fascinating game. :D

Back to Saban. If the Cowboys or Bears or another pretty good NFL team comes calling and offers big money Saban might make the move. But it will be hard prying him away from Alabama because he can win the alleged national title ever year he coaches there. It would be great as a Gator fan if Saban left Alabama. But Nick will need to be knocked out by a team to make the move back to the NFL. I hope it happens.
Scott512
Head Ball Coach

Postby Class of '78 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:46 pm

Scott512 wrote:I think Nick Saban would consider taking over a pretty good NFL team but not a terrible team that needs lots of work. I am sure Saban knows what Carroll is doing in Seattle and thinks he can do that too. But they have different coaching styles and personalities. Pete is more upbeat while Nick is more dictatorial.

A couple things about Carroll. I have never seen an NFL team score 50, 50 and 40 plus points in 3 straight games. :eek: I cannot believe one of Carroll's teams is doing this since he is a defensive minded coach. Carroll should be NFL coach of the year. What he and his staff has done with a rookie QB and that defense blows me away. And the offense is not that talented. And the Seahawks scored more than 40 points last night against the Niners and their #1 rated defense. Unreal. And the way carroll's defense has played againt elite NFL QB's this season has been unreal. Wow.

Carroll coached 9 years at USC and the first 5 or 6 years were stellar. I wonder if he will be better in Seattle the first few years compared to his last few years there.

Carroll coached 4 more years at USC after the NCAA invesitgation started. People generally think he ran out on Southern Cal but that just is not the case. No one thought the NCAA would crush USC with sanctions and penalties the way they did which is why Carroll coached 4 more seasons at SC. He thought they would get slapped not crushed for their infractions. No doubt Carroll slipped in recruiting at SC which is why his record got worse. The recruiting drop off really surprised me because playing college football in LA at USC would a thrill for dozens of top high school prospects nationwide.

Carroll was not a failure as an NFL head coach before he got to Seattle they way Sban was a failure with the Dolphins. That is another misnomer about Pete. He was a decent NFL head coach before Seattle. He won a division title in New England. Then in his first season with the Seahawks Seattle beat the defending super bowl champion Saints in the first round of the playoffs that year too shocking the NFL with that massive upset. No doubt Carroll rolled the dice with Matt Flynn and then with Russell Wilson. Pete went with his gut instint and started the undersized rooke Wilson and he has been outstanding to the surprise of many.

I don't see Seattle getting out of the NFC but they could be dangerous in the playoffs. The NFC is better than the AFC this year so winning the NFC will be very tough. The Packers are hot now and getting healthier. Watch out for them. Maybe Seattle at Green Bay in the playoffs. That would be a fascinating game. :D

Back to Saban. If the Cowboys or Bears or another pretty good NFL team comes calling and offers big money Saban might make the move. But it will be hard prying him away from Alabama because he can win the alleged national title ever year he coaches there. It would be great as a Gator fan if Saban left Alabama. But Nick will need to be knocked out by a team to make the move back to the NFL. I hope it happens.

He might get a shot but I highly doubt it's in Chicago. Not that the Bears don't appreciate good defense; to the contrary, the franchise was built on the premise. But at this point I don't see them transitioning from one guy, a known commodity who's fallen a little short, to a guy with limited NFL experience. I just don't see it happening.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby Scott512 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:13 pm

Class of '78 wrote:
Scott512 wrote:I think Nick Saban would consider taking over a pretty good NFL team but not a terrible team that needs lots of work. I am sure Saban knows what Carroll is doing in Seattle and thinks he can do that too. But they have different coaching styles and personalities. Pete is more upbeat while Nick is more dictatorial.

He might get a shot but I highly doubt it's in Chicago. Not that the Bears don't appreciate good defense; to the contrary, the franchise was built on the premise. But at this point I don't see them transitioning from one guy, a known commodity who's fallen a little short, to a guy with limited NFL experience. I just don't see it happening.

Probably not Chicago. But perhaps Dalls if the Cowboys don't make the playoffs. Their owner Jerry Jones may blow up his coaching staff if he can get Saban. Maybe. Seeing Saban running another NFl show would be very interesting to see.
Scott512
Head Ball Coach

Postby -THE DUDE- » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:25 pm

Class of '78 wrote:
-THE DUDE- wrote:

I called it a week ago after yet another loss to Green Bay, this time at home. It's time. Similar to Dungy at Tampa Bay, Smith has taken the Bears to a higher level but not the promise land. That's no longer enough.

I listen to chicago sports radio all the time and your feelings are pretty much spot on with the majority of Bears fans...much like my feelings on Richt and uga i hope the Bears keep Lovie for awhile :lol:
-THE DUDE-
Head Ball Coach

Postby mtn2top » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:26 pm

Carroll has a done a decent job in Seatlle, even though he came into a good situation in taking over the Holgrem foundation. Few stadiums have a better home field advantage than Seattle. Reality sets in for the Seahawk offense once they hit the road.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby WashingtonDCGator » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:24 pm

I wonder if Carroll's success in Seattle has Nick Saban second guessing a return to the NFL. I mean, if he wins another NC at 'Bama this season, what else is there left to do there? Saban's a competitor. He'd have to go to the right NFL team (San Diego, Kansas City, etc.) where the GM let him essentially have free reign, but it'd be a challenge that I'm sure he'd gladly accept.

It will be interesting to see how things play out for Saban and 'Bama.
WashingtonDCGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby wfoster314 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:26 pm

For years, the NFL has recycled head coaches. As soon as one gets fired, he winds up somewhere else. I see that trend changing. There are some college coaches doing good things and I think the trend will continue. Owners around the league look at Andy Reid and Chip Kelly and think which coach will win more games foe me. The money is better and you get more time off because you don't have to recruit.
To Be...
wfoster314
Senior Gator

Postby Beauregard » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:11 pm

Not to beat a dead horse (which means I just did ), but do you suppose Saban is watching all of this with an interested eye?

Why would he? He's on the verge of winning his third national title in four years at Bama.

Carroll was not a failure as an NFL head coach before he got to Seattle they way Sban was a failure with the Dolphins.

Carroll is 24-23 in Seattle and 56-54 for his seven-year NFL career. Carroll had a losing record as an NFL head coach coming into this season. Saban was 15-17 in just two years as a pro coach at Miami. I'm not seeing a huge difference here.

I think folks here just have a lot animosity toward Saban b/c he beat the hell out of Florida for three straight years and has built a juggernaut program that will continue to win as long as he stays there.
Beauregard
Freshman Gator

Postby crosscreekcooter » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:43 pm

Actually we just have a lot of animosity for trolls.
crosscreekcooter
Head Ball Coach

Postby Swamp82 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:21 pm

I really wished we had played the bammers, when I saw them play 4-5 times i was not all that impressed. They are a good football team but not as strong and lasting like he Gators. So troll what's the reason your cruising around our board? I would imagine its because most of bama's fans have court orders preventing them from using the Internet.
If you would like to keep your coach you can
Swamp82
Head Ball Coach

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum