Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Double Gator Dad, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Homer J, MSNbot Media, TheDouglas78, Yahoo [Bot] and 74 guests

For those who think Donovan could be doing more

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

For those who think Donovan could be doing more

Postby jagator0 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:13 pm

David Lee is averaging 19 points and 12 rebounds per game for the 16-8 Golden State Warriors.
Joakim Noah is averaging 14 points and 11 rebounds for the 13-9 Chicago Bulls.
Al Horford is averaging 16 points and 10 rebounds per game for the 14-7 Atlanta Hawks.
Corey Brewer is averaging 12 points per game for the 13-12 Denver Nuggets.
Udonis Haslem is averaging 5 rebounds per game for the Miami Heat and he and Mike Miller both have rings from last season.
Chandler Parsons is averaging 16 points and 7 rebounds per game for the Houston Rockets.
Matt Bonner is a 40% shooter from three point territory for the 19-6 San Antonio Spurs.

Anybody else want to try and match those numbers? Kentucky? Duke? North Carolina?
jagator0
Heisman Gator

Re: For those who think Donovan could be doing more

Postby Noneya » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:27 pm

Texas is doing pretty well with Aldridge and Doorant.

So is UCLA amazingly with guys like Jrue Love and Westbrook.
Last edited by Noneya on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noneya
Heisman Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:31 pm

I am happy that those guys are doing well in the pros but I care more about how good the guys are doing that are still on the team.
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby EtsuGator42 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:35 pm

Beal is also doing pretty well with 14 ppg.
EtsuGator42
Senior Gator

Postby lagator » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:40 pm

jagator0 wrote:David Lee is averaging 19 points and 12 rebounds per game for the 16-8 Golden State Warriors.
Al Horford is averaging 16 points and 10 rebounds per game for the 14-7 Atlanta Hawks.
Udonis Haslem is averaging 5 rebounds per game for the Miami Heat and he and Mike Miller both have rings from last season.
Chandler Parsons is averaging 16 points and 7 rebounds per game for the Houston Rockets.
Matt Bonner is a 40% shooter from three point territory for the 19-6 San Antonio Spurs.

Anybody else want to try and match those numbers? Kentucky? Duke? North Carolina?

Actually UCONN can pretty much blow those numbers away. They have 15 active players on NBA rosters including Ray Allen, Caron Butler, Rudy Gay, Ben Gordon, Richard Hamilton, Emeka Okafor, Kemba Walker, etc, etc, etc. I'd say we are probably second currently though which is a hell of a statement for a Football school. I hope BD never leaves.
lagator
Heisman Gator

Postby Gatorlaw92 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:35 pm

We are not just a football school, never have been. We are a basketball school too, and track, tennis, golf, softball, baseball, lacrosse, swimming, gymnastics, etc. We are now 30 consecutive years into being a top-10 all-around athletic program every year (the only such school in the country), per the director's trophy national all-sports comp., 2 for 2 in winning the capital one cup for the best men's athletic program in the country, and we have team national titles in 12 different sports. Football may be the most popular, but UF elite national greatness comes from being one of the best, if not the best, all-around athletic program.
Gatorlaw92
Senior Gator

Postby WhoGator » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:51 pm

David Lee is averaging 19 points and 12 rebounds per game for the 16-8 Golden State Warriors.

You left out two....
Bradley Beal is averaging 12 ppg, while Marreese Speights is averging 6 pts and 5 reb in 14 minutes a game off the bench.

:chomp:
:chomp:
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby rogdochar » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:13 pm

Listing past Gators means the thread title should have been :
{For those who think Donovan Could Have Done Better.}
We have an active team that is his piece of work right now.

With last Saturday's collapse, when things got critical, this
ongoing piece of Donovan's work had better be doing more serious
prep for upcoming worthy opponents. What's to keep us from
collapsing again & again, now that teams know what to do ? Well,
the main thing that can prevent this is "doing more" coaching.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby murdamal86 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:24 pm

No there's a reason to not mention Bradley Beal atm; he's been terrible shooting the ball and his +/- is pretty bad. He's starting to improve and be more aggressive as of late.
murdamal86
Senior Gator

Postby jjGator68 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:53 pm

Is there a correlation between the guys who left the earliest (ie received the smallest amount of BD coaching) and their success in Pros? I'm really just hitting on Speights who imo left too early. I think BB will be highly successful in the near future.
jjGator68
Redshirt Gator

Postby BMF » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:06 pm

People really watch the NBA?
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby mtn2top » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:57 pm

By any measure, it's simply amazing what Coach Donovan has done at UF. The fan base has not caught up with where we actually are as a true basketball school. That came about through the hundreds of thousands of hours of commitment and dedication of Coach Donovan through his tenure here.

The real question should be: what more could the fans be doing? Billy D has moved mountains to put this program where it is today.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby DaddyGator » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:40 pm

BMF wrote:People really watch the NBA?

No, so that makes this thread pretty much irrelevant. And, yes, Donovan is doing a hell of a job.
Illegitimi non carborundum
DaddyGator
Heisman Gator

Postby alcoholica » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:44 pm

98-99 Lost in Sweet 16 by 1 pt to Gonzaga
99-00 Lost in Finals by 13 pts to MSU
00-01 Lost in 2nd Rd by 21pts to Temple
01-02 Lost in 1st Rd by 1pt to Creighton
02-03 Lost in 2nd Rd by 22pts to MSU
03-04 Lost in 1st Rd by 15pts to Manhattan
04-05 Lost in 2nd Rd by 11pts to Villanova
05-06 National Champs
06-07 National Champs
07-08 Lost in Semis of NIT by 12 pts to UMass
08-09 Lost in Quarters of NIT by 9 pts to Penn State
09-10 Lost in 1st Rd by 7pts to BYU
10-11 Lost in the Elite 8 by 3 pts to Butler
11-12 Lost in the Elite 8 by 4pts to Louisville

I started with Billy's first NCAA appearance with UF. He had most of his success with 2 core groups: Miller/Dupay & the '04's. I say Miller/Dupay mainly because after Miller left the group had little Tourney success and Dupay was the clear leader of that team, despite what many think of him. I have also charted some other teams over the same time period as a comparison.

Duke: 2 NC's, 1 Runner up, 1 additional Final 4, 7 additional Sweet 16's, 1 2nd rd exit, 2 1st rd exits.

MSU: 1 NC, 1 runner up, 4 additional Final 4's, 1 additional Elite 8, 2 additional Sweet 16's, 1 2nd Rd Exit, 4 1st rd exits.

Syr: 1 NC, 1 additional Elite 8, 4 Sweet 16's, 2 2nd rd exits, 3 1st rd exits,
3 no shows in the NCAA

UConn: 3 NC, 1 additional Final 4, 2 additional Elite 8's, 1 additional Sweet 16, 2 2nd rd exits, 2 1st rd exits, 3 NCAA no shows

Kansas: 1 NC, 2 runner ups, 1 additional Final 4, 3 additional Elite 8's, 2 additional Sweet 16's, 3 2nd rd exits, 2 1st rd exits

UNC: 2 NC, 2 additional Final 4's, 3 additional Elite 8's, 3 2nd rd exits, 1 1st rd exit, 3 NCAA no shows.

UK: 1 NC, 1 additional Final 4, 4 additional Elite 8's, 2 additional Sweet 16's, 4 2nd Rd exits, 1 1st Rd Exit, 1 NCAA no show.

I've been a huge Billy critic. But all of the above schools are basketball schools is better conferences (UK is SEC too). I'm still critical of the fact that he had loaded teams in the early 2000's and basically crapped his pants in the tourney. His success still came from two core groups, but the past couple of years have shown me some giant strides over where he was in the early 2000's. I'm not ready to put him in the same category as most of you do, but he has gotten to the point where I expect more from less.This year's team has plenty of talent to be a Final 4 team, and now I expect us to make it there. BTW, the coaching job against UA was not what I expect from Billy these days.
alcoholica
Heisman Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:54 pm

lagator wrote:
jagator0 wrote:David Lee is averaging 19 points and 12 rebounds per game for the 16-8 Golden State Warriors.

Actually UCONN can pretty much blow those numbers away. They have 15 active players on NBA rosters including Ray Allen, Caron Butler, Rudy Gay, Ben Gordon, Richard Hamilton, Emeka Okafor, Kemba Walker, etc, etc, etc. I'd say we are probably second currently though which is a hell of a statement for a Football school. I hope BD never leaves.

You are kidding, right? You might want to go back and revisit those numbers.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby Swamp82 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:10 pm

He could have called a timeout and gotten a play off. Naw I love Billy the kid, I think he has this program in the elite of Basketball these days, it's true you can't win them all but we should have won that one in the desert if we hadn't let them hang around. Billy's coaching was good for most of the night. I do believe we could have called a TO and set up a play and we wasted that chance. That said I think he's still a Great Coach and I wouldn't want anyone else.
If you would like to keep your coach you can
Swamp82
Head Ball Coach

Postby Deuce Coupe » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:07 am

Coaching didn't lose the game, lack of execution at critical times did.
You can't spell SUCK without Image
Deuce Coupe
Heisman Gator

Postby divits888 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:23 am

alcoholica wrote:98-99 Lost in Sweet 16 by 1 pt to Gonzaga
05-06 National Champs
06-07 National Champs

I started with Billy's first NCAA appearance with UF. He had most of his success with 2 core groups: Miller/Dupay & the '04's. I say Miller/Dupay mainly because after Miller left the group had little Tourney success and Dupay was the clear leader of that team, despite what many think of him. I have also charted some other teams over the same time period as a comparison.

Duke: 2 NC's, 1 Runner up, 1 additional Final 4, 7 additional Sweet 16's, 1 2nd rd exit, 2 1st rd exits.

MSU: 1 NC, 1 runner up, 4 additional Final 4's, 1 additional Elite 8, 2 additional Sweet 16's, 1 2nd Rd Exit, 4 1st rd exits.

3 no shows in the NCAA

UConn: 3 NC, 1 additional Final 4, 2 additional Elite 8's, 1 additional Sweet 16, 2 2nd rd exits, 2 1st rd exits, 3 NCAA no shows

Kansas: 1 NC, 2 runner ups, 1 additional Final 4, 3 additional Elite 8's, 2 additional Sweet 16's, 3 2nd rd exits, 2 1st rd exits

UNC: 2 NC, 2 additional Final 4's, 3 additional Elite 8's, 3 2nd rd exits, 1 1st rd exit, 3 NCAA no shows.

UK: 1 NC, 1 additional Final 4, 4 additional Elite 8's, 2 additional Sweet 16's, 4 2nd Rd exits, 1 1st Rd Exit, 1 NCAA no show.

I've been a huge Billy critic. But all of the above schools are basketball schools is better conferences (UK is SEC too). I'm still critical of the fact that he had loaded teams in the early 2000's and basically crapped his pants in the tourney. His success still came from two core groups, but the past couple of years have shown me some giant strides over where he was in the early 2000's. I'm not ready to put him in the same category as most of you do, but he has gotten to the point where I expect more from less.This year's team has plenty of talent to be a Final 4 team, and now I expect us to make it there. BTW, the coaching job against UA was not what I expect from Billy these days.

Well, by all means, let us hope that Billy lives up to your expectations. :rolleyes:
divits888
Bull Gator

Postby Double Gator Dad » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:00 pm

alcoholica wrote:98-99 Lost in Sweet 16 by 1 pt to Gonzaga
05-06 National Champs
06-07 National Champs

3 no shows in the NCAA

Thanks for the explanation. I was not aware that Billy had teams that were loaded during the 2000's. Sitting on the 3rd row all those years I could have sworn that he had one "loaded" team in '99-'00 and they went to the championship game. Not exactly crapping your pants. During the next 3-4 years the roster had gaping holes due to early exits to the NBA and massive transfers resulting from over-recruiting.

The '00-'01 team suffered massive injuries and finished the season with 7 scholarship players active but I guess that team was loaded too. Over the next 2-3 years we were missing key parts again due to early exits and a@@holes like Christian Drejer bailing in midseason.

Those of us that follow the game know that college basketball was in a state of flux during that decade where coaches struggled with whether or not to recruit the mercenary players or aim lower in recruiting and take guys that might actually stick around. Like all schools other than the elite 3-4 teams, Billy had to adjust his approach to fit the new model which is what he did when he recruited the '04's.

Since '07, when he lost virtually his entire roster, Billy has completely rebuilt the program to where we are today which is poised for a multiyear run at the Final Four.

As mentioned in another post, all this criticizing from people that have hardly ever darkened the doorway of the O'Connell Center during the 17 years Billy has been here. Can you imagine how difficult it is to recruit top tier players when they visit the school and watch 6-7,000 fans (mostly students) sitting in the stands? You know, like what we say about Miami et al in football.

We are lucky to have him and we truly do not deserve him or his ability. There are plenty of schools that support their basketball program that would love to have him.
Double Gator Dad
All-American Gator

Postby itsgr82baflagator » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:29 pm

mtn2top wrote:By any measure, it's simply amazing what Coach Donovan has done at UF. The fan base has not caught up with where we actually are as a true basketball school. That came about through the hundreds of thousands of hours of commitment and dedication of Coach Donovan through his tenure here.

The real question should be: what more could the fans be doing? Billy D has moved mountains to put this program where it is today.

:scratchhead:

100,000 hours/17 years = 5882 hours per year = 16 hours per day, every day, for 17 years. And I thought I was a workoholic. :cool:
itsgr82baflagator
Head Ball Coach

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum