Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChattanooGATOR, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media and 24 guests

Next years linebackers?

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Next years linebackers?

Postby UFGATORFAN » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:44 pm

Who are the starting 3 next year?

Jelani Jenkins obviously. Does he move inside though?

Antonio Morrison and Mike Taylor both have experience but both are true middle linebacker

Darren kitchens and neiron ball have experience on the outside.

Gideon ajagbe hasn't really been heard of.

Then we have our 4 freshman coming in.

I think our top 5 in terms of talent/experience are
jelani jenkins
Antonio morrison
Mike taylor
neiron ball
Darrin kitchens
UFGATORFAN
True Gator
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:59 pm

Re: next years linebackers?

Postby Kurtis Lowe » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:21 pm

With Dillman and Muschamp, I think we could field Oregon's defense and be successful.

Not too worried about who's starting as long as we have the necessary depth (which appears to be the case) to rotate guys.
Image
Because the ACC just doesn't prepare you.
User avatar
Kurtis Lowe
All-American Gator
 
Posts: 973
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: next years linebackers?

Postby law98gator » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:00 pm

In our system, mike and will play like "inside" backers. It will be easy for Jelani to slide over, but it won't make much of a difference if he stays at will.

Taylor has played mostly mike and Morrison has played mostly will.

I expect to see Jelani and Morrison playing the most with Taylor spelling either alot (in a Stamper-ish role).

Kitchens and Ball will keep playing sam, neither are big enough and/or strong enough against the run to move inside.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
User avatar
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend
 
Posts: 16858
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: next years linebackers?

Postby LBSpikes » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:14 pm

law98gator wrote:In our system, mike and will play like "inside" backers. It will be easy for Jelani to slide over, but it won't make much of a difference if he stays at will.

Taylor has played mostly mike and Morrison has played mostly will.

I expect to see Jelani and Morrison playing the most with Taylor spelling either alot (in a Stamper-ish role).

Kitchens and Ball will keep playing sam, neither are big enough and/or strong enough against the run to move inside.

For as much as I don't like your negative opinions on our players, I have to give you credit for knowing a **** load about them all and also about the game of football (the latter not necessary in your last post, but in general. Something we've all noticed over the years I'm sure, just saying it here bc I'll forget it if i don't). Carry on.
User avatar
LBSpikes
Bull Gator
 
Posts: 5791
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:02 pm

Re: next years linebackers?

Postby Gatorphan » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:24 pm

This is a good thread.

I think RoPo belongs in the conversation at Buck, no?
"Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Image
User avatar
Gatorphan
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 2094
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: next years linebackers?

Postby ltraz » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:35 pm

law98gator wrote:In our system, mike and will play like "inside" backers. It will be easy for Jelani to slide over, but it won't make much of a difference if he stays at will.

Taylor has played mostly mike and Morrison has played mostly will.

I expect to see Jelani and Morrison playing the most with Taylor spelling either alot (in a Stamper-ish role).

Kitchens and Ball will keep playing sam, neither are big enough and/or strong enough against the run to move inside.


The only place I disagree is that just because both line up basically over the guards in an 'under' set, it doesn't make both positions the same. There would be no reason to move JJ now.

If RoPo comes back from injury as expected, he'll start at Sam. It's a waste to have him or Fowler off the field and he's probably better suited to play OLB and rush occasionally. JJ, Morrison, RoPo.
ltraz
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Re: next years linebackers?

Postby UFGATORFAN » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:38 pm

Gatorphan wrote:This is a good thread.

I think RoPo belongs in the conversation at Buck, no?


Is buck more considered a lb or de?
UFGATORFAN
True Gator
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:59 pm

Re: next years linebackers?

Postby law98gator » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:46 pm

ltraz wrote:The only place I disagree is that just because both line up basically over the guards in an 'under' set, it doesn't make both positions the same. There would be no reason to move JJ now.

Agreed, the actual assignments are undoubtedly different, but, because, as you note, we run under sets predominantly when we are in a 4-3, will is more like mike and sam is entirely different mostly TE coverage and setting the edge on run plays while mike and will scrape.

If RoPo comes back from injury as expected, he'll start at Sam. It's a waste to have him or Fowler off the field and he's probably better suited to play OLB

I've thought the same thing, maybe he moves to sam. In fact, I've also thought that Ropo may be better served to move INSIDE. He's not a great rush threat from the buck position whether he's in the 3-4 or 4-3. He's best on the blitz, not nose up to the tackle. At less than 250 lbs, he's a tad light trying to take on offensive linemen. We blitz pretty effectively with the two "inside" backers.

We'll see. I do agree that anything that keeps Fowler off the field is a poor idea. However, Champ seems to love to rotate at all the positions so our team develops experience more quickly and so that our 1s are on the field with fresh legs in the 4th quarter.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
User avatar
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend
 
Posts: 16858
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: next years linebackers?

Postby law98gator » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:48 pm

UFGATORFAN wrote:
Gatorphan wrote:This is a good thread.

I think RoPo belongs in the conversation at Buck, no?


Is buck more considered a lb or de?

He's a hybrid of both. In the 4-3, the buck lines up as the weak DE. In the 3-4, the buck lines up as the other outside linebacker (with the sam back) while the will backer moves inside.

Switching from an odd to an even front really messes with the blocking assignments.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
User avatar
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend
 
Posts: 16858
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: Next years linebackers?

Postby jjGator68 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:29 pm

Does anyone have any news/opinion/update on Bryan Cox. At 6'3", 240 (in HS) and after a red shirt year shouldn't he be in the mix for a linebacker position?
jjGator68
Redshirt Gator
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:01 pm

Re: next years linebackers?

Postby ltraz » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:26 pm

law98gator wrote:
ltraz wrote:The only place I disagree is that just because both line up basically over the guards in an 'under' set, it doesn't make both positions the same. There would be no reason to move JJ now.

Agreed, the actual assignments are undoubtedly different, but, because, as you note, we run under sets predominantly when we are in a 4-3, will is more like mike and sam is entirely different mostly TE coverage and setting the edge on run plays while mike and will scrape.

If RoPo comes back from injury as expected, he'll start at Sam. It's a waste to have him or Fowler off the field and he's probably better suited to play OLB

I've thought the same thing, maybe he moves to sam. In fact, I've also thought that Ropo may be better served to move INSIDE. He's not a great rush threat from the buck position whether he's in the 3-4 or 4-3. He's best on the blitz, not nose up to the tackle. At less than 250 lbs, he's a tad light trying to take on offensive linemen. We blitz pretty effectively with the two "inside" backers.

We'll see. I do agree that anything that keeps Fowler off the field is a poor idea. However, Champ seems to love to rotate at all the positions so our team develops experience more quickly and so that our 1s are on the field with fresh legs in the 4th quarter.


No homo Law, but you're def my favorite poster when your not making depressing posts about our QB and WRs. RoPo at Mike is def an interesting thought and would probably make the most sense for our best 11 (I think Ball progressed throughout the season) and depth (it makes each LB position have its own backup with PT experience). However, RoPo has shown what he can do at OLB (mostly in the run game) and there's just no way to predict how a LB will adapt to switching 'in to out' or 'out to in'. It's mostly shown difficult the other way (Mikes not playing well when they were outside i.e. Urlacher), but who knows how he'll do blitzing inside with RBs cutting him as opposed to over a tackle (not that he did great except for collapsing the pocket and pursuit). Ideally, I would love for RoPo to become a monster in the middle b/c I think he changes games more there than at any other position.
ltraz
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Re: Next years linebackers?

Postby LBSpikes » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:45 pm

:lol: Where did this no homo thing catch on? I heard that on a local cool talk radio show a few times recently...
User avatar
LBSpikes
Bull Gator
 
Posts: 5791
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:02 pm

Re: Next years linebackers?

Postby law98gator » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:47 pm

Thanks, but my only real talent (sarcasm) is wasted without Sid, Qtip, coCainestain, and even Yorkie to slap around.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
User avatar
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend
 
Posts: 16858
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: Next years linebackers?

Postby Durty South Swamp » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:10 am

yeah, i just learned some stuff from reading this thread. good posts all around. cheers!
"You never stand taller than when you stand on the backs of your fallen comrades" ~ Unknown
User avatar
Durty South Swamp
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 1543
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:39 pm
Location: Panama City Beach, Fl


Return to Gatorsports Forum

cron