Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BNAG8R, Chomper, Go Gata, Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Sasquatch Gator, Yahoo [Bot] and 69 guests

Safety next year

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Safety next year

Postby Ancient Reptile » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:54 am

Evans graduates, Elam may go pro, and Sanders is apparently on thin ice.

If we are without any of the three next year, how do our safety positions stack up? Is Gorman capable of holding one down "adequately"? Harris appears incredibly determined and confident. Keanu actually had better stats his jr year and their sizes are just about identical. What's his name
redshirted.

Anyone have an idea how this would play out? Would safety then be our weakest position?
Ancient Reptile
Heisman Gator

Re: Safety next year

Postby Gatorbythebay » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:03 am

Would Poole slide back to safety? Elam will be back though
Gatorbythebay
Head Ball Coach

Postby DaMagicGator » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:16 am

Marcus Maye is the talented SS we got last year I believe. Also i fully expect Walkins to be the starter at FS for next year. If Elam goes i expect Gorman, Maye and Harris to get snaps at SS.
Its good to be a Gator!
Mess with the best, Die like the rest!
FB: b.wolf84 PSN B-wolf84
DaMagicGator
True Gator

Postby DCflorida » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:56 am

Jabari Gorman and Rhaheim Ledbetter are supposed to be serious ballers. We saw flashes from Gorman in the spring game, remember. He was the dude making tackles all over the field. Also, Cody Riggs was playing alot of safety before he got hurt.

One area where UF seems to have an abundance of talent is the secondary. Our corners should be the best in the country; Roberson, Watkins and Purifoy.
DCflorida
Bull Gator

Postby Travis McGee » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:11 am

There are enough talented bodies in the secondary to create two quality SEC-caliber defensive backfields. Secondary is not a concern.

I do get a bit antsy thinking about the defensive tackle depth, though.
Travis McGee
Senior Gator

Postby GatorTAG » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:11 am

DCflorida wrote:Jabari Gorman and Rhaheim Ledbetter are supposed to be serious ballers. We saw flashes from Gorman in the spring game, remember. He was the dude making tackles all over the field. Also, Cody Riggs was playing alot of safety before he got hurt.

One area where UF seems to have an abundance of talent is the secondary. Our corners should be the best in the country; Roberson, Watkins and Purifoy.

And then through in the top CB recruit in the country, VH3.
Swamp Queen wrote:I miss basketball just so you negative tards couldn't complain as much.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby mrgator » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:28 am

Did we lose V. Showers? I can't remember. Any chance for him to make a move at safety?
mrgator
Heisman Gator

Postby FloridaFanatic22 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:55 am

Gatorbythebay wrote:Would Poole slide back to safety? Elam will be back though

I think that's the right move. Poole is a stud.
FloridaFanatic22
Senior Gator

Postby Gatorbythebay » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:04 am

The guys is good. I remember watching him in the Under Armour All-American game. Blocked a punt and either had a fumble recovery for a td or an int for a td.
Gatorbythebay
Head Ball Coach

Postby gatorspook » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:20 am

Why is Saunders on thin ice? I've read that it looks like he's transferring but I missed why.
gatorspook

Postby GatorTAG » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:42 am

gatorspook wrote:Why is Saunders on thin ice? I've read that it looks like he's transferring but I missed why.

I've heard Pop isn't much for going to class and is struggling with keeping grades up.

Other rumors are that he likes doing this >>> Image

Pop & Debose? Image
Swamp Queen wrote:I miss basketball just so you negative tards couldn't complain as much.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby ltraz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:15 am

FloridaFanatic22 wrote:
Gatorbythebay wrote:Would Poole slide back to safety? Elam will be back though

I think that's the right move. Poole is a stud.

In regards to Poole, keep in mind that there is a very good chance he has to start at cb as a jr (Watkins graduates and there's a good chance we lose someone early). Playing next year at FS would significantly stunt his growth at cb and cb is a much harder position on our O. Gorman def looked good last spring game and I've heard good things about Showers too. Riggs is solid and obviously the best cover FS we have, but lacks high level tackling ability. It's not like they're replacing an AA so i don't think there's a drop-off at FS.

At SS, I think it boils down to whether or not the coaches are willing to lessen the responsibility that Elam had this year. Harris, Maye and Neal are all physically ready now, but I don't think coaches would want either one matched up on a slot reciever (Maye probaly being the best of the 3 in that regard).

If we lose all 3, I predict Gorman at FS and and two man rotation at SS (Maye and Harris) that enables each to focus on specific packages.
ltraz
Heisman Gator

Postby gatorspook » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:20 am

GatorTAG wrote:
gatorspook wrote:Why is Saunders on thin ice? I've read that it looks like he's transferring but I missed why.

I've heard Pop isn't much for going to class and is struggling with keeping grades up.

Pop & Debose? Image

Damn, I fall under that cast-the-first-stone clause once again.
gatorspook

Postby rogdochar » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:45 am

gatorspook wrote:
GatorTAG wrote:

Pop & Debose? Image

Damn, I fall under that cast-the-first-stone clause once again.

..... caste of "the first stoned" ? :dunno:
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby gatormandan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:59 am

We will be fine next yr.....
gatormandan
True Gator

Postby Coach9 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:04 pm

With the quality of our corners, the main thing we need from our safeties is quality tackling and run support. That's a big reason why we gave up so few big plays this year. We may have led the country in that stat.
Never want to see us with a safety who avoids contact. That has been painful to watch in the past.
Coach9
Head Ball Coach

Postby Panhandle Gator » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Coach9 wrote:With the quality of our corners, the main thing we need from our safeties is quality tackling and run support. That's a big reason why we gave up so few big plays this year. We may have led the country in that stat.
Never want to see us with a safety who avoids contact. That has been painful to watch in the past.

#10 2008-2010
Panhandle Gator
Freshman Gator

Postby ltraz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:36 pm

Coach9 wrote:With the quality of our corners, the main thing we need from our safeties is quality tackling and run support. That's a big reason why we gave up so few big plays this year. We may have led the country in that stat.

Very true. Which is why if the spring game was any indication, Gorman has the inside track to the starting FS job. This year, we did have Elam covering in the slot quite a bit (we like staying in our base and allowing our LBs to stay in the box) which may decide the SS spot.
ltraz
Heisman Gator

Postby Ancient Reptile » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:47 pm

DaMagicGator wrote:Marcus Maye is the talented SS we got last year I believe. Also i fully expect Walkins to be the starter at FS for next year. If Elam goes i expect Gorman, Maye and Harris to get snaps at SS.

I thought a CB might switch to safety, but I thought it would be Purifoy.
Ancient Reptile
Heisman Gator

Postby Ancient Reptile » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:49 pm

DCflorida wrote:Jabari Gorman and Rhaheim Ledbetter are supposed to be serious ballers. We saw flashes from Gorman in the spring game, remember. He was the dude making tackles all over the field. Also, Cody Riggs was playing alot of safety before he got hurt.

I know Ledbetter can tackle and hit very hard; can he handle the rest of the job?
Ancient Reptile
Heisman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum