Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], lgator, MSNbot Media, muddycorey and 27 guests

Florida Ranked as 9th best Coaching Job in all of Football

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Florida Ranked as 9th best Coaching Job in all of Football

Postby PastyStoole » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Not just college, but NFL too. Pretty impressive.

9. Florida
Have you ever spent any quality time with Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley? I have. He basically spends every waking moment trying to figure out how to help his coaches win.

You need better facilities? He'll do everything he can to make it happen. You need an increased budget for recruiting? For assistant coaches? For support staff? For whatever? Talk to Foley.

Foley is demanding, but the results on his watch have been nothing short of spectacular. So, yeah, you probably want to work for him if you're a football coach interested in a national championship.

And did I mention there are about a gajillion quality recruits in the state? And that from a financial standpoint, Florida football revenue and overall program value easily overshadow that of Florida State and Miami?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8733842/from-nfl-college-ranking-10-best-head-coaching-jobs-football-college-football
travy wrote:shove this article up your ass you mouthbreathing hick
PastyStoole
Heisman Gator

Re: Florida Ranked as 9th best Coaching Job in all of Football

Postby BSJGator » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:54 pm

Interesting. But, it's only one man's opinion. And opinions are like *******, we all got 'em... :rolleyes:

That said, I'd argue the hell out of any college coaching job being "better" than UF.

Clearly, and bar none, we have the best AD, we have some of the best facilities for all of the sports we support, and arguably the state with the best bunch of kids to recruit from.
BSJGator
Heisman Gator

Postby DCflorida » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:05 pm

Six college programs rated ahead of Florida; Texas, Notre Dame, Bama, LSU, Ohio State and Michigan.

Still, very impressive.
DCflorida
Bull Gator

Postby ACappsUF29 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:21 pm

I came into this thread ready to rage because I thought it was going to say 9th best in college only. Very impressed with making the top 10 but Ohio State, Michigan and ND being ahead is a joke.
ACappsUF29
Senior Gator

Postby gatordad » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:31 pm

ACappsUF29 wrote:I came into this thread ready to rage because I thought it was going to say 9th best in college only. Very impressed with making the top 10 but Ohio State, Michigan and ND being ahead is a joke.

Never forget that the only ice UF deals with is in its rum and coke...'nuff said!
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans-John Lennon
gatordad
Heisman Gator

Postby mtn2top » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:40 pm

There's no established criteria in the rankings, just Gene's opinion. We could just as easily been number one.

Coach Boom left a sure HBC hire in Texas for UF. It's obvious what school he ranks higher as a better job. That's the opinion that matters most to me.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby WhoGator » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:47 pm

mtn2top wrote:There's no established criteria in the rankings, just Gene's opinion. We could just as easily been number one.

Coach Boom left a sure HBC hire in Texas for UF. It's obvious what school he ranks higher as a better job. That's the opinion that matters most to me.

Urban turned down ND for UF and many others have turned down ND in the past 8 years.
Notre Lame being #4 is either someone living way in the past or making too much out of an undefeated regular season than they should have.

:chomp:
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby -THE DUDE- » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:48 pm

my two football teams make the top ten :dance6:

1. Green Bay Packers
The statues of Vince Lombardi and Curly Lambeau stand outside the best stadium in the NFL. (Yes, you read it right: the best stadium in the league -- perfect sight lines, perfect football atmosphere, no dome.) And you can't swing a chin strap at Lambeau Field without hitting something connected to the Packers' championship tradition.

Management is stable, supportive and committed to success. And whenever the franchise needs some extra walking-around money for, say, stadium expansion, it simply sells more shares of the worst financial investment on the planet: Packers common stock.

This is a franchise that cares deeply about winning, about its fans, about giving its coaches the best chance of getting their own statues.
-THE DUDE-
Head Ball Coach

Postby vulcan_alex » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:50 pm

How about ranking our entire coaching staff for every sport against other schools with the same sports. I bet we would wack every school since top to bottom we have the best coaches, facilities, success, etc. Now we are not number one in each and every sport but overall you can't beat us.

Foley and the support he gets is the reason.
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Postby rogdochar » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:05 pm

SEC 3 out of top 7 colleges. Dominance abounds.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Swamp82 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:57 pm

As always
If you would like to keep your coach you can
Swamp82
Head Ball Coach

Postby AlexDaGator » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:06 pm

Texas is a better job. Fertile recruiting ground and you're the only show in town. We have to compete with FSU and Miami for recruits, plus Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Auburn, etc. are all nearby and pull good Florida talent out of state. Texas can pretty much pick any recruit they want out of Texas. The only reason aTm got Johnny Football is because Texas didn't want him as a QB. Plus they have tons of money and their own network. You have to be a doddering old fool to not win 10 games per season at Texas. Yeah, I'm looking at you, Mack Brown. Stop it. You're embarrassing yourself just like your boy Bowden did. I honestly think Ron Zook could average 10 wins per season at Texas with their talent and schedule. Hell, look at what Baylor and TCU have been doing with Texas' rejects. Mack Brown is STEALING his paycheck. Hell, most years there's only two tough games on the schedule, Oklahoma and whichever other team decides to be good that year between K State or Okie State.

I think Southern Cal is a better job for the same reasons. Fertile recruiting ground and you have your pick of anybody you want in the region. Again, you should always win 10 games per season unless you're on probation and you shouldn't be on probation because there's no need to cheat when you have your pick of recruits. Yeah, I know Kiffen f-ed up this year, but that dooshnozzle could f-up a wet dream.

Those are the ONLY two college jobs I think are better than UF because you really don't have to work that hard to get great players and your schedule is pretty easy, year in and year out.

LSU, Bama are about the same as UF. Strong recruiting bases, great fan support, but have to play in the ultra-competitive SEC so you have to work to get your 10 wins. Bama has a stronger fanbase and LSU has a proverbial recruiting "fence" around Louisiana, but Florida has more in-state talent than either of them.

Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Michigan are definitely worse jobs today and getting worse as the years go on. Shrinking populations, bad weather, general power shift towards the South. I think if given the choice of being the Head Coach at Michigan or Georgia, most would pick Georgia.

Alex.
AlexDaGator
Heisman Gator

Postby rtygators1 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:23 pm

First, I was a little shocked reading the title as I thought we were ranked 9th in college football - I didn't realize they were including NFL. I understand there is more money in NFL coaching gigs however I would not want to deal with the power struggles and player egos which is why college coaching jobs are more ideal.
Alex has some very valid points. Even Muschamp agrees with him to an extent saying the Texas is the best. If that position ever opens up we will likely loose our Head coach if they come calling. He has also said that Alabama is better due to the location, and amount of money spent on the program.
I also agree about the USC job and I could see an arguement for the OSU job only because they are both in "big" conferences, recruiting is easy for both schools, conference play is almost a joke except for 1 or 2 games a year, by the almost extinct BCS system - either of those two schools should have been playing for a championship every year but the teams just don't develope like the SEC teams do with the higher level of competition.
I think mentioning ND and Michigan is a joke though-stole the credibility from the writer.
rtygators1
Baby Gator

Postby TommyGator » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Bull Hockey.

Muschamp thinks this is the best job in Football.

That's good enough for me!

:chomp: :chomp: :chomp: :chomp: :chomp:
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser
TommyGator
Heisman Gator

Postby rogdochar » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:37 pm

You'd think the best would be to coach where the team is back ?
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby BMF » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:52 pm

ACappsUF29 wrote:I came into this thread ready to rage because I thought it was going to say 9th best in college only. Very impressed with making the top 10 but Ohio State, Michigan and ND being ahead is a joke.

Glad to see we still have plenty of homers posting here....
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby Beauregard » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:22 pm

You really think that's a reasonable thought? The Florida job was available right then, while he would have to wait a while on the Texas job (at least two seasons as of right now). Not saying which job is better, but I think the immediate availability of Florida miiiiight have played into his decision to go to Gainesville.
Beauregard
Freshman Gator

Postby WhoGator » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:36 pm

Beauregard wrote:

You really think that's a reasonable thought? The Florida job was available right then, while he would have to wait a while on the Texas job (at least two seasons as of right now). Not saying which job is better, but I think the immediate availability of Florida miiiiight have played into his decision to go to Gainesville.

He was happy staying and waiting at Texas until the UF job opened up. He turned down many others that had "immediate availability", but came to Florida because of who it was, no other reason.

WhoGator
True Gator

Postby Beauregard » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:03 pm

He was happy staying and waiting at Texas until the UF job opened up. He turned down many others that had "immediate availability", but came to Florida because of who it was, no other reason.

And what were those "many other" jobs? Any of them considered Top 5 jobs?

I would rather wait my turn at Texas for a few years than go to, say, Tennessee or Virginia right this minute. But what the poster was saying is that he believes Champ thinks Florida is a better job than Texas because he left his HCIW/DC position in Austin to go to Florida. What I think actually happened is that Champ saw a comparable job (not necessarily a better or worse job) that he could take right then as opposed to waiting around an indefinite amount of time for Brown to retire.

To use an analogy for you Floridians: If you like Tower of Terror and Rockin' Roller Coaster equally and TOT has an hour wait and RRC has no line at all, which ride are you headed to? RRC. Now, if Space Mountain has an hour wait and It's A Small World has no line, you might suffer the wait for the better ride. But between TOT and RRC, you're going to take that much shorter line and be happy with it.

I think that makes a lot more sense than saying Champ believes Florida trumps Texas when the former had a vacancy at that particular time.
Beauregard
Freshman Gator

Postby DaddyGator » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:09 pm

PastyStoole wrote:Not just college, but NFL too. Pretty impressive.

9. Florida
Have you ever spent any quality time with Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley? I have. He basically spends every waking moment trying to figure out how to help his coaches win.

You need better facilities? He'll do everything he can to make it happen. You need an increased budget for recruiting? For assistant coaches? For support staff? For whatever? Talk to Foley.

Foley is demanding, but the results on his watch have been nothing short of spectacular. So, yeah, you probably want to work for him if you're a football coach interested in a national championship.

And did I mention there are about a gajillion quality recruits in the state? And that from a financial standpoint, Florida football revenue and overall program value easily overshadow that of Florida State and Miami?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8733842/from-nfl-college-ranking-10-best-head-coaching-jobs-football-college-football

Foley is definitely unsung. Compare, say, Dave Hart.

And, yup, Texas is tearing it up.
Last edited by DaddyGator on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimi non carborundum
DaddyGator
Heisman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum