Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 29 guests

CFB Top 25 - ranked academically

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

CFB Top 25 - ranked academically

Postby gatorJ » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:33 am

I was a bit sad to see Florida ranked 15th :( Then I saw that not only was FSU ranked last, but they were also the only ream with a Negative score. :eek: FSUcks shortcomings always make me feel better.

http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2012/12/11/the-college-football-top-25-as-ranked-by-academics/
oxrageous wrote:Well you're sure in for a surprise. Peasant.
gatorJ
Head Ball Coach

Re: CFB Top 25 - ranked academically

Postby rogdochar » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:23 am

The only real rating that would be valid would involve a sort of
GRE-type test given to those football players just graduated.
What I'm getting at is higher grades are easier to come by in
some schools than others. I got my 'scholarly' foundation at UF,
then attended UT Dental with classmates that were graduates
from many universities. At UF I worked so hard due to UF's high
academic demands & scored on a curve grades.

All other universities (3) I attended were like coasting due to what
UF put into me & how much less competitive they were.
One University was so focused on academics it had no sports teams
and a faculty to student ratio of 1/14. Anyway a #15 UF can still be
academically stronger than others.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby crosscreekcooter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:01 am

rogdochar wrote:The only real rating that would be valid would involve a sort of

Wouldn't that be one of them oxy-morons?
crosscreekcooter
Head Ball Coach

Postby TommyGator » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:05 am

crosscreekcooter wrote:
rogdochar wrote:The only real rating that would be valid would involve a sort of

Wouldn't that be one of themthere oxy-morons?

FIFY
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser
TommyGator
Heisman Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:30 am

These rankings are misleading, and the story notes it, citing Northern Illinois.

Instead, the New America Foundation bases its rankings on several factors: how a football team’s graduation rate compares to that of the school’s overall male student body, how a team’s black-white graduation gap compares to the male black-white graduation gap in the general student population, and the spread between a football team’s black graduation rate and the school’s overall graduation rate for black men.

Without sounding racist (which, of course, means I'm about to :lol: ), let's consider where and whom with regard to many of the black athletes UF has recruited over the years. Many of these athletes have experienced academic struggles or dropped out, and some have left early for the NFL and not gone back to get their degree.

Then let's compare that to black students who qualify for admission to the University of Florida on their own academic merit, a huge accomplishment nowadays with average incoming freshman GPA being 4.0-plus. Big gap.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby gatorJ » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:51 am

I agree. UF is much more rigorous than other academic institutions. I think a combination of a graduate test and graduation rates would be a better barometer of collegiate success.
gatorJ
Head Ball Coach

Postby bradgator2 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:08 am

I guess the "eye-ball" test failed FSU once again.
bradgator2
All-American Gator

Postby gatorJ » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:10 am

Class of '78 wrote:These rankings are misleading, and the story notes it, citing Northern Illinois.

Instead, the New America Foundation bases its rankings on several factors: how a football team’s graduation rate compares to that of the school’s overall male student body, how a team’s black-white graduation gap compares to the male black-white graduation gap in the general student population, and the spread between a football team’s black graduation rate and the school’s overall graduation rate for black men.

Without sounding racist (which, of course, means I'm about to :lol: ), let's consider where and whom with regard to many of the black athletes UF has recruited over the years. Many of these athletes have experienced academic struggles or dropped out, and some have left early for the NFL and not gone back to get their degree.

Then let's compare that to black students who qualify for admission to the University of Florida on their own academic merit, a huge accomplishment nowadays with average incoming freshman GPA being 4.0-plus. Big gap.

I agree. It's only part of the story. When comparing us to other schools, the required academic standards of a Stanford or Notre Dame are significantly higher than ours (with athletic scholarships) which is why you see a much higher grad rate. Couple that with a historically mediocre program over the last 10 years with very little draft early entries and it skews the numbers slightly. In addition, since we are in the ultra competitive SEC we tend to take recruiting chances on kids with legal problems or character problems. When it's discovered that the kids cannot be rehabilitated, many times they transfer. Some kids can't cut it academically and transfer (ex. John Brown to TN).

So while this study isn't gospel on academic rigors, progress, and success, when combined with other studies it gives us a picture of the academic sincerity of a university in regards to athletes. It's absolutely pathetic that FSucks is so abysmal on each of these program assessment studies. But hilarious. The clowns are so deserving.
gatorJ
Head Ball Coach

Postby PastyStoole » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:28 am

This is from the Higher Ed Watch website:

Florida State, coming in dead last, is also worth a special mention since it is the only team with a negative score. While FSU graduates 100 percent of its white players, only 33 percent of its black players leave with a degree. That disparity is completely unacceptable, especially since the school graduates black males at a rate of 65 percent overall. The Academic BCS formula rightly sinks them for it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

http://higheredwatch.newamerica.net/blogposts/2012/the_2012_academic_bowl_championship_series-75177
travy wrote:shove this article up your ass you mouthbreathing hick
PastyStoole
Heisman Gator

Postby vulcan_alex » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:04 am

Most of these measurements are defective in some way. The only real measurement would be the improvement in education that the individual students achieve.

Really not possible to measure.
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Postby GulfG8r » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:14 am

Class of '78 wrote:These rankings are misleading, and the story notes it, citing Northern Illinois.

Here we go again. If they want to talk academics, talk academics. Does everything have to be a racial issue?
GulfG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby WhoGator » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:16 am

PastyStoole wrote:This is from the Higher Ed Watch website:

Florida State, coming in dead last, is also worth a special mention since it is the only team with a negative score. While FSU graduates 100 percent of its white players, only 33 percent of its black players leave with a degree. That disparity is completely unacceptable, especially since the school graduates black males at a rate of 65 percent overall. The Academic BCS formula rightly sinks them for it.

Whatever the reason... Absolutely pathetic. A negative number? They would have finished #50 if they'd of ranked the BCS top 50. No excuse....

How hard is it to learn to put on a little white make-up and paint a big smile on your face? The engineers should have no real trouble passing a class on setting up a big top tent. I'll give you the fact that you may lose a student or two while training lions and tigers, but that's probably the only real tough class. They need to teach the struggling students how to guess people's weights. Even an idiot like Navin Johnson was able to succeed with the circus curriculum, and don't pull the race card excuse... he was black and white.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:chomp:
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby GulfG8r » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:19 am

http://higheredwatch.newamerica.net/blogposts/2012/the_2012_academic_bowl_championship_series-75177

Maybe the demand for white clowns is higher than that for black clowns. Or perhaps white guys find it easier to be clowns than black guys.

There just has to be an explanation to this.
GulfG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby PastyStoole » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:20 am

WhoGator wrote:

Whatever the reason... Absolutely pathetic. A negative number? They would have finished #50 if they'd of ranked the BCS top 50. No excuse....

How hard is it to learn to put on a little white make-up and paint a big smile on your face? The engineers should have no real trouble passing a class on setting up a big top tent. I'll give you the fact that you may lose a student or two while training lions and tigers, but that's probably the only real tough class. They need to teach the struggling students how to guess people's weights. Even an idiot like Navin Johnson was able to succeed with the circus curriculum, and don't pull the race card excuse... he was black and white.

:lol:

Seriously, though, it's almost like a plantation mentality up there. 33% graduation rate for African American players? That's appalling.
travy wrote:shove this article up your ass you mouthbreathing hick
PastyStoole
Heisman Gator

Postby mtn2top » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:36 am

Regardless of how the rankings are derived, I don't like Florida to come in below Georgia, LSU, Alabama and Texas A&M in anything. There's very little consolation in being ranked above FSU, especially this year.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby GulfG8r » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Herein may lie the key that unlocks the mystery. Could it be that the need for a decoder could simply be replaced by a little toot of nitrous?
GulfG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby BoomTown » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:25 pm

GulfG8r wrote:

Herein may lie the key that unlocks the mystery. Could it be that the need for a decoder could simply be replaced by a little toot of nitrous?

Good theory. Sign me up. I'm willing to take one for the team to find out.
BoomTown
Heisman Gator

Postby BSJGator » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:33 pm

gatorJ wrote:I was a bit sad to see Florida ranked 15th :( Then I saw that not only was FSU ranked last, but they were also the only ream with a Negative score. :eek: FSUcks shortcomings always make me feel better.

http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2012/12/11/the-college-football-top-25-as-ranked-by-academics/

Liars figure and figures lie....While I totally concur it's nice halfassu is in the negative category, any rankings like this are fairly specious. It totally depends on the factors used to calculate the result.

It's like the "Biggest Party School" where the students get to vote for their own campus; that just invites "the fix is in" type of activities. Not that UF students would ever vote for UF to be the biggest party school... :lol:
BSJGator
Heisman Gator

Postby jand3k » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:10 pm

mtn2top wrote:Regardless of how the rankings are derived, I don't like Florida to come in below Georgia, LSU, Alabama and Texas A&M in anything. There's very little consolation in being ranked above FSU, especially this year.

Correct me if I'm wrong (like that needs to be prefaced on the GSMB ;) ).

Keep in mind that this scale/ranking takes into account the difference between the athletes vs the general population. It does not reflect the general IQ or ability of the University as a whole.

So, because UF's general population graduates at a much higher rate (thus UF being ranked 15th) than the athletes only shows me that UF has a good group of athletes but has a better general population as a whole.

To be ranked #1 would mean your athletes are equal to or almost as good at graduating as your general population.
jand3k
Head Ball Coach

Postby gatorJ » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:42 pm

jand3k wrote:
mtn2top wrote:Regardless of how the rankings are derived, I don't like Florida to come in below Georgia, LSU, Alabama and Texas A&M in anything. There's very little consolation in being ranked above FSU, especially this year.

Correct me if I'm wrong (like that needs to be prefaced on the GSMB ;) ).

Keep in mind that this scale/ranking takes into account the difference between the athletes vs the general population. It does not reflect the general IQ or ability of the University as a whole.

So, because UF's general population graduates at a much higher rate (thus UF being ranked 15th) than the athletes only shows me that UF has a good group of athletes but has a better general population as a whole.

To be ranked #1 would mean your athletes are equal to or almost as good at graduating as your general population.

Correct. The majority of our recruits would not be accepted at Northwestern. This ranking shows me that we work hard to assimilate our athletes and put them on a course for graduation. Not quite where we want to be but not bad FSU has lower academic criteria, lower academic standards, and still can't get their athletes within a reasonable rate of academic success. In fact, it's outright embarrassing.
gatorJ
Head Ball Coach

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum