Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GatorJB, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, soflagator, t-gator and 51 guests

Nick Saban rumor

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Nick Saban rumor

Postby williston_gator » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:28 pm

Word of him heading back to the NFL is heating up.

http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/12/0 ... story.html

What would Michael Lombardi leaving the NFL Network have to do with football in Tuscaloosa? There have been a lot of rumors around the Browns that [Lombardi] could be the next general manager should new team president Joe Banner and owner Jimmy Haslam decide to make a switch after the season. ... Lombardi's past weakness has been the cap, but Banner is an expert in that area. There's also the person Lombardi could deliver as head coach: Alabama's Nick Saban. According to the NFL sources, Saban has let it be known that if he returns to the NFL -- where he flopped, going 15-17 with the Dolphins from 2005-06 -- it would likely be with Lombardi playing [Scott Pioli] to his [Bill Belichick].
User avatar
williston_gator
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 2029
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:43 pm
Location: Williston, FL

Re: Nick Saban rumor

Postby Gatorbythebay » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:49 pm

I won't believe it until I see it. I would like to see Champ beat him before he goes anywhere though.
User avatar
Gatorbythebay
Head Ball Coach
 
Posts: 3044
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Re: Nick Saban rumor

Postby oxrageous » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:55 pm

Yeah, I was hoping to see Florida kick his ass before he left.
User avatar
oxrageous
Moderator
 
Posts: 13716
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:31 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Nick Saban rumor

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:57 pm

Gatorbythebay wrote:I won't believe it until I see it. I would like to see Champ beat him before he goes anywhere though.

Yep. There have been so many "Saban to _______" rumors over the years, they're a dime a dozen. However, if he wins his 3rd MNC in 4 years, what else would he have left to accomplish at the college level?
:burp:
User avatar
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator
 
Posts: 9386
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:36 pm
Location: Somewhere in the woods.

Re: Nick Saban rumor

Postby MatthewM. » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:59 pm

I'd be ok with this.
PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
User avatar
MatthewM.
Bull Gator
 
Posts: 6992
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:56 pm

Re: Nick Saban rumor

Postby Gatorbythebay » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:00 pm

MatthewM. wrote:I'd be ok with this.

So would Kirby
User avatar
Gatorbythebay
Head Ball Coach
 
Posts: 3044
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Re: Nick Saban rumor

Postby BMF » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:02 pm

Sasquatch Gator wrote:
Gatorbythebay wrote:I won't believe it until I see it. I would like to see Champ beat him before he goes anywhere though.

Yep. There have been so many "Saban to _______" rumors over the years, they're a dime a dozen. However, if he wins his 3rd MNC in 4 years, what else would he have left to accomplish at the college level?


Plenty:

Win a 4th in 5 years.
Make another $25 million over the next 4-5 years.
Win a 5th in 6 years.
Etc, etc, etc....

I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it" category as well. Unless he's just hell-bent to prove he can be a successful NFL coach, why would he leave? He is 60 years old.....

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach
 
Posts: 3251
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: Nick Saban rumor

Postby MatthewM. » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:07 pm

:madevil:
Last edited by MatthewM. on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
User avatar
MatthewM.
Bull Gator
 
Posts: 6992
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:56 pm

Re: Nick Saban rumor

Postby MatthewM. » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:08 pm

Bill Parcells was 87 when he coached a few years back.
PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
User avatar
MatthewM.
Bull Gator
 
Posts: 6992
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:56 pm

Re: Nick Saban rumor

Postby WobbleGator » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:08 pm

Aint happening.
User avatar
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend
 
Posts: 13960
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Nick Saban rumor

Postby GatorMark86 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:09 pm

Saban is all about Saban. If he believes he will get more attention and $ in the NFL...he will go. The key phrase to listen for is if he says, " I am not going to be the Head Football Coach for Cleveland." Then he is leaving just like he did when he said it before going from the Dolphins to Bama.
GatorMark86
Baby Gator
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:46 pm

Re: Nick Saban rumor

Postby Gatorbythebay » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:09 pm

Dominating the SEC is tough for sure, but usually schools get on a roll and stay at or near the top for a while. It is pretty easy for him now that he has won, kids believe they will have a shot at the NFL if they go to Bama, so recruiting is nothing for him to worry about. Saban could win a few more and I don't think that will change his perception as a college coach. Coach the Browns to a Super Bowl victory? That would make him a legend, and for that reason there is plenty of motivation for anyone with littleman syndrome.
User avatar
Gatorbythebay
Head Ball Coach
 
Posts: 3044
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Re: Nick Saban rumor

Postby Class of '78 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:14 pm

I think you're kidding yourself if you think he won't go back to the NFL because of one failed experience in Miami. His ego won't let him believe it. Saban's been too successful on the college level to think his way of doing things, which really is tailored to the NFL, won't work in the NFL.

One more title and I could see him go.
User avatar
Class of '78
Bull Gator
 
Posts: 6568
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:43 pm

Re: Nick Saban rumor

Postby gatordad3 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Class of '78 wrote:I think you're kidding yourself if you think he won't go back to the NFL because of one failed experience in Miami. His ego won't let him believe it. Saban's been too successful on the college level to think his way of doing things, which really is tailored to the NFL, won't work in the NFL.

One more title and I could see him go.


As I've said before, what if he chose Drew Brees over Duante Cupepper? If that happened, and the Dolphins finshed with a winning record in 2006, Bama would have been in the same situation as the Vols in 2010 and 2012. IMO, that was the only mistake he made as the Dolphins coach that led to a 6-10 record.

I still think he would goes whether he wins one more or not.
gatordad3
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 1458
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:02 pm

Re: Nick Saban rumor

Postby ACappsUF29 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Gatorbythebay wrote:Dominating the SEC is tough for sure, but usually schools get on a roll and stay at or near the top for a while. It is pretty easy for him now that he has won, kids believe they will have a shot at the NFL if they go to Bama, so recruiting is nothing for him to worry about. Saban could win a few more and I don't think that will change his perception as a college coach. Coach the Browns to a Super Bowl victory? That would make him a legend, and for that reason there is plenty of motivation for anyone with littleman syndrome.

Please don't get rid of that signature and post on every topic. I like seeing that more than the topic usually..
User avatar
ACappsUF29
Senior Gator
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:40 am

Re: Nick Saban rumor

Postby diehardg8r » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:43 pm

Well one can certainly see how much better the Dolphins are since Saban left. He clearly was the problem.
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.” Dante
diehardg8r
Bull Gator
 
Posts: 6597
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Nick Saban rumor

Postby oxrageous » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:45 pm

diehardg8r wrote:Well one can certainly see how much better the Dolphins are since Saban left. He clearly was the problem.

You related to Saban? Must be.
User avatar
oxrageous
Moderator
 
Posts: 13716
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:31 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Nick Saban rumor

Postby Gatorbythebay » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:50 pm

ACappsUF29 wrote:Please don't get rid of that signature and post on every topic. I like seeing that more than the topic usually..

Do you get more satisfaction from selecting your favorite song on your iPod/cd or when you are driving down the road and the radio station plays it out of the blue?
User avatar
Gatorbythebay
Head Ball Coach
 
Posts: 3044
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Re: Nick Saban rumor

Postby gatorhunter » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:53 pm

Sasquatch Gator wrote:However, if he wins his 3rd MNC in 4 years, what else would he have left to accomplish at the college level?


How bout passing the Bear in the hearts and minds of people in trailer parks across the state of AL?
gatorhunter
Freshman Gator
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Nick Saban rumor

Postby gatordad3 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:54 pm

diehardg8r wrote:Well one can certainly see how much better the Dolphins are since Saban left. He clearly was the problem.

Oh yeah. Cam Cameron did such an excellent job succeeding Saban by producing a 1-15 record in 2007. :rolleyes:
gatordad3
Heisman Gator
 
Posts: 1458
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:02 pm

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum

cron