Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 46 guests

30 for 30 - Bo Jackson

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

30 for 30 - Bo Jackson

Postby Gouryella » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:49 pm

Amazing.

If you aren't watching...turn it on. Great story. Not to crazy about the cartoons but it is pretty entertaining.
Gouryella
Heisman Gator

Re: 30 for 30 - Bo Jackson

Postby Coach9 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:13 pm

First time I heard the reason for the Tampa Bay hatred.
Coach9
Head Ball Coach

Postby Gouryella » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:21 pm

Explained the TB rejection and I hate Hugh Culverhouse even more today than ever before...freaking dirtbag.
Gouryella
Heisman Gator

Postby MatthewM. » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:28 pm

Best athlete ever.
PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby Gator-DNA » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:34 pm

Just tuned in, looks like I missed some good stuff. Didn't know he was so in to archery, pretty cool.
Gator-DNA
Senior Gator

Postby Gouryella » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:41 pm

dna: I'm sure it will be replayed. DVR and watch it. What a fantastic story. The Bear Bryant/Pat Dye part of the story was especially cool. Seems like a genuinely decent person as well.
Gouryella
Heisman Gator

Postby Gulfstream » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:48 pm

Bo was unbelievable.
Hey, you want something done right, don't ask me.
Gulfstream
All-American Gator

Postby BostonGator84 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:51 pm

I once heard a song on a cassette tape that was a parody of the old 60's hit "My Girl" but instead was "Bo Jackson." I believe it was recorded when he was at Auburn. It was pretty funny - I've tried to find a copy of it online but without success.
BostonGator84
True Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:30 am

Gouryella wrote:Explained the TB rejection and I hate Hugh Culverhouse even more today than ever before...freaking dirtbag.

Didn't see it but I am interested in how Culverhouse was portrayed. I remember the prevailing sentiment in the Bay area when Jackson said, "I'll just skip the NFL," after the Bucs drafted him No. 1.

Not that I'm unfamiliar with how cutthroat Culverhouse could be. I'm just curious about the specifics here.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby Gouryella » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:36 am

Culverhouse sent a plane after the football season to bring No to tampa. No thought it might be a violation. Bucs told him it was cleared through Auburn officials. He gets back and Auburn is wondering why he went...the bucs lied to him. He was ruled ineligible to play baseball. He cried , blamed tb, and swore they did it on purpose. He vowed never to play for them even telling culverhouse not to draft him.
Gouryella
Heisman Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:40 am

Gouryella wrote:Culverhouse sent a plane after the football season to bring No to tampa. No thought it might be a violation. Bucs told him it was cleared through Auburn officials. He gets back and Auburn is wondering why he went...the bucs lied to him. He was ruled ineligible to play baseball. He cried , blamed tb, and swore they did it on purpose. He vowed never to play for them even telling culverhouse not to draft him.

You're right about what he told the Bucs afterward. The other details I had not previously been aware of. Hmmmm.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:41 am

BostonGator84 wrote:I once heard a song on a cassette tape that was a parody of the old 60's hit "My Girl" but instead was "Bo Jackson." I believe it was recorded when he was at Auburn. It was pretty funny - I've tried to find a copy of it online but without success.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NUDtbstSzg&feature=youtu.be

Couldn't get the you tube screen to embed on the post, but you can punch the link and go to it and hear it for what it's worth.

Man, I've got to go listen to The Temptations sing My Girl to get that Bo Bo stuff out of my head.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby rogdochar » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:14 am

Here's my Culverhouse story. Back in late 70's I got interested in
property in Jax, on the north shore of the ST. Johns river, August Dr.
There were homesteads there, but plenty of woodsy space. As is my
loner's fashion, I drove that stretch, window shopping. Then I hit a
few homes that had some kind of "PostedEminent Domain Sign" on
behalf of the Jax Port Authority.

Just in case there was a parcel not so overtaken, I went to the
County Clerk's office to peruse the property plat deeds. Every
property I looked at, the listed owner was Hugh Culverhouse,
Tampa Florida ... even the ones claimed as Jax Port Authority.

Long-time family ownerships were forced out. Many years later
some of that seized property was in the hands of high-priced
Home Developers.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Gouryella » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:19 am

Class of '78 wrote:
Gouryella wrote:Culverhouse sent a plane after the football season to bring No to tampa. No thought it might be a violation. Bucs told him it was cleared through Auburn officials. He gets back and Auburn is wondering why he went...the bucs lied to him. He was ruled ineligible to play baseball. He cried , blamed tb, and swore they did it on purpose. He vowed never to play for them even telling culverhouse not to draft him.

You're right about what he told the Bucs afterward. The other details I had not previously been aware of. Hmmmm.

It was implied that the bucs purposely got him ineligible for baseball because they were afraid he might pick baseball over football if he had a great season. I had not heard the full story either. Culverhouse was a scumbag.
Gouryella
Heisman Gator

Postby Jbossgator9 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:46 am

One thing I remember about Bo was...that when he played against us...we DESTROYED him and beat him up pretty good. Knocked him out of one game if I remember correctly. Those UF defenses were really tough back then.
Jbossgator9
Heisman Gator

Postby dangerous dave » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:26 am

l990 saw Bo hit a home run to opposite field at kingdom in Seattle. Super strong!
dangerous dave
Baby Gator

Postby NVGator » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:46 am

Lots of memories there. Bo was the best, period.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby Tiger28 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:56 am

Gouryella wrote:
Class of '78 wrote:

It was implied that the bucs purposely got him ineligible for baseball because they were afraid he might pick baseball over football if he had a great season. I had not heard the full story either. Culverhouse was a scumbag.

Correct. And it was TB officials that told Bo they got the trip to TB cleared through the NCAA. One thing that DIDN'T get mentioned is that Culverhouse was a member of Alabama's infamous Red Elephant Club ... which only added credence to the suspected deviant deception in dealing with Bo.
Tiger28
Redshirt Gator

Postby Gouryella » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:11 am

Was that the one George Wallace was a part of too?
Gouryella
Heisman Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:01 am

Bo don't know winning.
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum