Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChattanooGATOR, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media and 24 guests

Cincy has a new coach

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Cincy has a new coach

Postby vulcan_alex » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:39 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Tuberville

Quite a surprise but I seem to remember him having some issue at Texas Tech.

Bloviate!!!
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Re: Cincy has a new coach

Postby gatordad » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:42 pm

...and Auburn.
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans-John Lennon
gatordad
Heisman Gator

Postby BMF » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:51 pm

This is a surprise. Tells you what TT thought of Texas Tech.

I read on another board that he's considering bringing in Petrino as OC. TT is super religious, so I find it hard to see him hiring a known "sinner"! Would be a great hire....although Petrino wouldn't be there long. Honestly, I'm surprised one of these programs hasn't taken the risk yet and hired him.

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby CGgater » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:52 pm

Not that texas tech is a powerhouse, but going to a big least school is a surprising move. Either way, he was/is of no consequence.

Now that I think of it, why on earth didn't ut go after tubby??? That would've been considered a major upgrade. vol$ are more pathetic than I could've EVER imagined. I mean, tubby must not have called them either... does he consider cincy a better job than knoxville???

:yess:
CGgater
All-American Gator

Postby BMF » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:01 pm

^^ Master Chief, I think TT wanted a safe retirement job. If he can go 8-4, 9-3 at Cincy year in and out he'll keep that job as long as he wants....making upwards of $2million/year. If he goes to UT he could be fired within 3 years.

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby CGgater » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:06 pm

BMF wrote:^^ Master Chief, I think TT wanted a safe retirement job. If he can go 8-4, 9-3 at Cincy year in and out he'll keep that job as long as he wants....making upwards of $2million/year. If he goes to UT he could be fired within 3 years.

---

:sadnanner: Leave it to a LT to suck the fun out of everything!
CGgater
All-American Gator

Postby BMF » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:09 pm

CGgater wrote:
BMF wrote:^^ Master Chief, I think TT wanted a safe retirement job. If he can go 8-4, 9-3 at Cincy year in and out he'll keep that job as long as he wants....making upwards of $2million/year. If he goes to UT he could be fired within 3 years.

---

Hey!!!! I am a mustang!!

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby vulcan_alex » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:19 pm

BMF wrote:This is a surprise. Tells you what TT thought of Texas Tech.

I read on another board that he's considering bringing in Petrino as OC. TT is super religious, so I find it hard to see him hiring a known "sinner"! Would be a great hire....although Petrino wouldn't be there long. Honestly, I'm surprised one of these programs hasn't taken the risk yet and hired him.

---

First everyone is a sinner so that would not hold him back from hire.

Second folks can change and be forgiven.

Third a no brainer for both. Pays him relatively little and a short leash for any other "sins". Route to redemption as well against weak opponents.
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Postby CGgater » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:22 pm

BMF wrote:
CGgater wrote:

---

Hey!!!! I am a mustang!!

---

:lol: You gotta admit, that fits the stereotype rather well!

So you're willing to admit publicly that you voluntarily "went to the darkside???" Sorry, I couldn't help myself... Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Are you still in the DC area?

Edit: saw this smiley after making the "darkside" comment... :vader:
Last edited by CGgater on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CGgater
All-American Gator

Postby gatorspook » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:35 pm

Tubs would have been a much better hire for UT than Jones. Wow.

His problem with Auburn was they sent a plane to go hire Petrino while he was still the coach.
gatorspook

Postby williston_gator » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:37 pm

This is a little shocking. It is an interesting move to me because I don't consider Cincinnati an upgrade from Texas Tech. If he can pull Petrino, than that is huge. Petrino should go for the TT job.
williston_gator
Heisman Gator

Postby B52G8rAC » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:48 pm

The dialogue between CG and BMF reminds me of a conversation my Mom had with a Master Chief when I was commissioned (not a mustang). Mom worked at NARF Pensacola and when she asked the Chief want to get for a newly minted 2LT his reply was immediate: "Poison , Ma'am, poison." Of course my Mom wasn't even mildly amused.
B52G8rAC
Redshirt Gator

Postby CGgater » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:55 pm

B52G8rAC wrote:The dialogue between CG and BMF reminds me of a conversation my Mom had with a Master Chief when I was commissioned (not a mustang). Mom worked at NARF Pensacola and when she asked the Chief want to get for a newly minted 2LT his reply was immediate: "Poison , Ma'am, poison." Of course my Mom wasn't even mildly amused.

:lol3: Out-freakin'-standing! I hope that by now your mom understands military humor. That's funny right there...
CGgater
All-American Gator

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:04 pm

Butch Jones followed Brian Kelly at Central Michigan and followed him again at Cincinnati. He essentially won with Kelly's players. He took over programs that Kelly had built when Kelly moved up to other places.

Tuberville had some good years at Ole Miss, and when he came to Ole Miss, Ole Miss was really down. Auburn hired Tuberville away from Ole Miss, and Tuberville had some good years at Auburn. Whereas Jones was hired to replace a successful coach, Tuberville was hired when a previous unsuccessful coach was fired. Thus the job Tuberville did was more impressive than the job Butch Jones did.

Tuberville has broad experience at SEC programs. He was also on the staff at Miami when the Hurricanes won a national championship. He knows how to coach in the big leagues. Butch Jones does not know the SEC. I just don't know how Jones is going to go in to the areas that Tennessee traditionally draws from and recruits.

Butch Jones is probably a nice guy. I don't know if he has what it takes to be successful in the SEC. He's no NIck Saban that's for sure. If he was a guiter picker you would say he's no Chet Atkins.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby BMF » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:26 pm

Joe, if Jones won with Kelly's players Muschamp won w/ Urban's. This can play on and on. He's been a head coach for 6 years. He's proven he can coach. He has NOT proven he can turn around a program, however.

CGgater wrote:
BMF wrote:
CGgater wrote:

---

Hey!!!! I am a mustang!!

---

:lol: You gotta admit, that fits the stereotype rather well!

So you're willing to admit publicly that you voluntarily "went to the darkside???" Sorry, I couldn't help myself... Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Are you still in the DC area?

Edit: saw this smiley after making the "darkside" comment... :vader:

MC, there are many days I question the move!! Especially where I am now (at CGHQ)!! It's not ideal, but the pension will be much nicer!

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:06 pm

BMF wrote:Joe, if Jones won with Kelly's players Muschamp won w/ Urban's. This can play on and on. He's been a head coach for 6 years. He's proven he can coach. He has NOT proven he can turn around a program, however.

Yeah, but Urban was starting to lose with Urban's players and Muschamp turned things around and has now started winning with Urban's players and his own players.

Muschamp took over a program that was going down. The coach, Urban Meyer, quit two times because he lost control of the program and the job was too big for him to put it back on the right track. Urban said see "ya later alligator, after while crocodile". Muschamp has put us back on the right track.

Tommy Tuberville put Ole Miss and Auburn both on the right track after they ran off it. Butch Jones did not have to put the train back on the track at Central Michigan and Cincinnati. He just continued to drive the train that Brian Kelly put on the right track.

What I am saying is that Butch Jones may turn out to be a good coach at Tennessee, I don't know. But he is not the coach that Dave Hart wanted to hire from the get go which was a coach who had experience in building a winning program at a program that really means something.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby Noneya » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:10 pm

Cincy just save TTech a bunch of mediocre years where they sit there with a decision to make and it's too tough to fire him and too tough to keep him. That guy and his just good/bad enough is a booster and ADs worst nightmare.
Noneya
Heisman Gator

Postby G8rnTtown » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:23 pm

Joe, that post is bullseye on the target. Especially the comments on urbs and champ. The jury may be out on what will be thought of Muschamp in 6 to 8 years (althought i think we see how that is trending), I think the same could be said of what is going to thought of urbs if he ever stays at a program for more than 6 years. He caught lightning in a bottle with a great athlete at Utah and rode that to a bigger gig. At UF, he managed to bring in the Tebow, Harvin combo offensively, thus capturing lightning in a bottle again. When those guys were gone, so was the majic. Now for the third time in a career, he"s managed to find himself in a majical moment with an athlete like Miller that can make his preferred style of offense work. The question will come after that player is gone. Will he be able to replace him, or will he alter his philosophy to work with the talent he has next ? He sure didnt at UF. Instead, he declared the program "broken" and rode off into the studios of espn. Boom has taken what was left,mixed in a few new pieces, infused a physical mindset (not to mention Dillmans remaking their physique) and turned a "broken" program back into the winner it ought to be. Great job Coach!
G8rnTtown
Baby Gator

Postby Swamp82 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:40 pm

CGgater wrote:
B52G8rAC wrote:The dialogue between CG and BMF reminds me of a conversation my Mom had with a Master Chief when I was commissioned (not a mustang). Mom worked at NARF Pensacola and when she asked the Chief want to get for a newly minted 2LT his reply was immediate: "Poison , Ma'am, poison." Of course my Mom wasn't even mildly amused.

:lol3: Out-freakin'-standing! I hope that by now your mom understands military humor. That's funny right there...

That's where I live, used to manage McGuires Irish Pub back in the 80's when we first moved it downtown. Being in the Military I'm sure you have eaten or had an adult beverage or two there. Seen many a Winging and many a poor navy young boy go to the Brig from partying a little too much at Seville Quarter. Not sure what years you were here.
If you would like to keep your coach you can
Swamp82
Head Ball Coach

Postby BoomTown » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:06 pm

It's HARD to believe that Utooth didn't AT LEAST gauge the interest of TT BEFORE they called on BJ. So it's pretty EASY to see that Tubs MUST have turned down Utooth, but when Cincy came CALLING he got the HellouttaLubbock. Therefore, at LEAST according to TUBS: Cincy > TT > UTooth...YEP sounds about right. :) :D :D

One thing is certain, the Cincy fans are much happier today than the UTooth fans. :LOL: :LOL:
BoomTown
Heisman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum