Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The RH Factor and 28 guests

Neither UF kicker . . .

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Neither UF kicker . . .

Postby SavannahGator » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:39 pm

Won the respective awards that they were up for. A FG kicker from Tulane, of all places, beat out finalist Caleb Sturgis for the Lou Groza award (their kid was 21 of 21 this year, but Caleb was absolute money in clutch situations.

And a punter who won't be seen in bowl game 'cause he's from La Tech beat out Kyle Christy for the Ray Guy Award.

Too bad for Caleb, his eligibility is up. But at least Kyle has two more years to be nominated for the Guy award.
"A life is not important - except in the impact it has on other lives" . . . Jackie Robinson
SavannahGator
Head Ball Coach

Re: Neither UF kicker . . .

Postby MatthewM. » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:56 pm

Datz sum bullshiz
PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby rogdochar » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:11 pm

Sorry for Caleb. Hope Champ lets him kick a bowl record distance FG.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby born2beagator » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:17 pm

Who was the genius behind this screw up? Makes no sense
Alvin York wrote:
We have no excuses for this humiliating loss. We have only ourselves to blame. Tennessee most definitely deserved to lose.
born2beagator
Heisman Gator

Postby MJMGator » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:18 pm

Would not trade either for anyone else out there. They where arguably our MVP's this year. Sounds crazy, but they both keep us in games several times.
t-gator wrote:
Out of all those sperm cells I can't believe 561 one the race
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby DaddyGator » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:20 pm

SavannahGator wrote:Won the respective awards that they were up for. A FG kicker from Tulane, of all places, beat out finalist Caleb Sturgis for the Lou Groza award (their kid was 21 of 21 this year, but Caleb was absolute money in clutch situations.

And a punter who won't be seen in bowl game 'cause he's from La Tech beat out Kyle Christy for the Ray Guy Award.

Too bad for Caleb, his eligibility is up. But at least Kyle has two more years to be nominated for the Guy award.

Up and coming in the Big Least.
Illegitimi non carborundum
DaddyGator
Heisman Gator

Postby Swamp Queen » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:53 pm

I figured the kid from Tulane would win the Groza after I saw his stats. Bummer, but he seems like a good kicker.
lizard84 wrote:maybe swamp queen and sas deserve each other.

DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
Swamp Queen
Bull Gator

Postby OldGatorAlum » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:22 am

What's interesting is they are both from St Augustine, Fl.

Probably kicked against each other in high school
OldGatorAlum
Freshman Gator

Postby mtn2top » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:23 am

I'm sorry to hear that. Both of them were more than deserving of the recognition and award.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:06 am

The fact that Caleb had like 6 kicks blocked this year (not really his fault) didn't help. The kid from Tulane didn't miss a single kick and hit several beyond 50 yards, he deserved it.
:burp:
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby FunnGun » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:26 am

They certainly helped Durkin become the Football Scoop Special Teams Coordinator of the Year. I remember a lot of people wanted him run out on a rail this time last year. :lol:
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby CapitalGator02 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:54 am

These are purely stat driven awards. I get the feeling none of these voters actually look into the context of each kick/punt. Sturgis and Christy played huge roles in many of our wins. Anybody would be 100% with Tulane's schedule.
CapitalGator02
Head Ball Coach

Postby WobbleGator » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:08 am

Darn
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Cold Blooded Reptile » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:16 am

Kickers who play half their games indoors should not be considered for the Groza award. That 21 for 21 for the Tulane kid should have an "*" beside it.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly ... for a worthy cause .... Theodore Roosevelt
Cold Blooded Reptile
Freshman Gator

Postby WhoGator » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:34 am

Cold Blooded Reptile wrote:Kickers who play half their games indoors should not be considered for the Groza award. That 21 for 21 for the Tulane kid should have an "*" beside it.

And a punter for a team that scores 50+ a game should also not be considered for the Guy. The La Tech dude never punted.

Me being a stats guy... Of the 90 qualifiers, 88 had more punts than him. Only the Ball State guy had fewer punts... one less. It's like winning the batting championship by going 4 for 10 on the season. He also had a longest punt of 85 yards... ya think one of their bootleg opponents didn't field it properly and let it roll. That one punt added 2 yds per punt to his average, which without, would have put him behind Christie. Bring out more ***** Reptile.

:chomp:
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby jpgator » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:08 am

Doe Sturgis have another year eligibility? I hope so. Do we have a young kicker waiting in the wings?
jpgator
Freshman Gator

Postby Maillot Jaune » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:40 am

There were time during the year I thought Christy was the best player on the team. He probably won a couple games! Kid kicks them out like a Howlitzer.
Maillot Jaune
Heisman Gator

Postby WhoGator » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:18 pm

jpgator wrote:Doe Sturgis have another year eligibility? I hope so. Do we have a young kicker waiting in the wings?

Nope... Sturgis just has a bowl game left, they only gave him 5 years.

Last year we signed Austin Harden, the #1 rated HS kicker by ESPN... played in the UnderArmour game, but was red-shirted this year. Brad Phillips has been Sturgis' back-up the last three years and will be a senior next year. He has a little FG/PAT experience due to Sturgis' injuries and was the primary kick-off guy in 2011.

WhoGator
True Gator

Return to Gatorsports Forum