Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MrSwampy, MSNbot Media, rogdochar, Yahoo [Bot] and 30 guests

Kirby Smart

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Kirby Smart

Postby Beauregard » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Kirby Smart at Alabama (who I like just fine) sure does get a lot of praise from other Bama fans and has had his name floating around a lot of programs looking for head coaches, but I just don't understand the hype around the guy. Now I'm not saying he is a poor coach or anything (clearly not), but 1) the guy coaches the best defensive talent in the nation every year and 2) Saban, the guru, is right there with him for any advice on gameplanning and adjustments.

In that situation, it's damn near impossible to fail. But other Saban defensive assistants at Bama (Steele giving up 70 to West Virginia, Sunseri giving 700+ yards to Troy) sure have gone elsewhere and bombed. And I think we can all agree that if Smart left tomorrow that Saban would take a new protege and the defense would be just fine.

So aside from being closely associated with Saban's Process, is there anything else I am missing here regarding Smart?
Beauregard
Freshman Gator

Re: Kirby Smart

Postby gatordad » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:27 pm

Welcome to the board...get ready Bo.

As for Smart, you're just hoping every other school thinks like you do.
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans-John Lennon
gatordad
Heisman Gator

Postby 8802gator » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:29 pm

You could have said the exact same thing about Muschamp. That turned out pretty good.
"I want to thank God for makin' me a Gator" - Chandler Parsons
8802gator
Heisman Gator

Postby Swamp82 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:36 pm

You have to have the recruits, follow Satans recipe and wa la. If you don't have the guys to do it, it won't get done. Not everybody can just take 3*'s and have a great D. Spurrier used to do it with is Offenses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you would like to keep your coach you can
Swamp82
Head Ball Coach

Postby G8rnTtown » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Kirby may really be "smart". Most likely he is. But until he gets out of the Masters shadow, the verdict remains out on him. When Saban 1st hit ttown, one of his first staff hires was a TE coach named Middleton if memory serves me correctly. He stayed 1 year. I read a followup article post his departure. He remarked of how that he walked in the door excited at the prospects of actually implementing some of his own ideas. His 1 meeting with "the master", he was handed a play book and told- "There it is, go coach it". For all those around him, that seems to be idea- they are the minions carrying out the mind of Nick.
G8rnTtown
Baby Gator

Postby mtn2top » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:18 pm

I've a bit surprised that Smart hasn't received more attention for some of these openings, but not as an SEC HBC. That's the top of the pile.

He'll need to find a Louisville, USF or other stepping stone before he can coach in the big boy league. Too much at stake for these top programs to experiment with on-the-job training. It's a bridge too far at this point in his career.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby Beauregard » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:11 pm

As for Smart, you're just hoping every other school thinks like you do.

I really don't care. I don't want him to leave because he seems like a nice guy and continuity is a good thing in any successful program, but I also don't think the Bama defense would drop off if he did. Saban would either promote or hire outside the program and continue fielding brick wall defenses with his stockpile of top talent. Is there any doubt about that?

You could have said the exact same thing about Muschamp. That turned out pretty good.

Muschamp left Saban and went to Auburn and Texas before getting his own gig at Florida. He proved himself coaching defenses that were entirely his own and with talent that wasn't as quite good as what Smart has worked with the last few years.

He'll need to find a Louisville, USF or other stepping stone before he can coach in the big boy league. Too much at stake for these top programs to experiment with on-the-job training. It's a bridge too far at this point in his career.

I agree with that.
Beauregard
Freshman Gator

Postby 8802gator » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:20 pm

Muschamp left Saban and went to Auburn and Texas before getting his own gig at Florida. He proved himself coaching defenses that were entirely his own and with talent that wasn't as quite good as what Smart has worked with the last few years.

The schools he went to after LSU still had to guess whether or not Muschamp could coach without Saban.
"I want to thank God for makin' me a Gator" - Chandler Parsons
8802gator
Heisman Gator

Postby Beauregard » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:36 pm

8802gator wrote:

The schools he went to after LSU still had to guess whether or not Muschamp could coach without Saban.

Yeah, but a DC position is quite a bit different from the head job. Champ coached as DC at two schools after leaving Saban before finally getting his own head job at UF. There isn't a DC position in the country that Smart is going to take, but if he did I would not question it like I am the head coach hype. That's the difference.

I am just a little skeptical of a coach going from DC to head coach at a big-time program when he's known nothing other than coaching top shelf talent alongside one of the most respected defensive minds in college football history at a program that would have no problem winning without him if he moved on.
Beauregard
Freshman Gator

Postby TommyGator » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:49 pm

Swamp82 wrote:You have to have the recruits, follow Satans recipe and wa la. If you don't have the guys to do it, it won't get done. Not everybody can just take 3*'s and have a great D. Spurrier used to do it with is Offenses.

"wa la" :D C'mon man!
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser
TommyGator
Heisman Gator

Postby StreetFightingGator » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:15 pm

If UGA were to ever get rid of Richt, which is probably never going to happen, then Smart would be their HBC before Richt had even packed his ****.

I think the DC matters quite a bit in Saban's system, even if it is Saban's defense because the DC is still calling the plays. Just like with us, it may have been Urban Meyer's offense but without a decent playcaller you're stuck with someone like Adazzio who can't call home collect.

On a related note, I am hopeful that Malzahn can turn Auburn around and finally start giving UGA a loss routinely. They need more than just two tough games on their schedule and as long as they only have to worry about us and SC they're going to continue having a shot at Atlanta every season.
StreetFightingGator
Heisman Gator

Postby jand3k » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:48 pm

"Wa la" is what Kirby Smart says each time he walks in the front door of Wal-Mart and they automatically open.
jand3k
Head Ball Coach

Postby Beauregard » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:21 am

If UGA were to ever get rid of Richt, which is probably never going to happen, then Smart would be their HBC before Richt had even packed his ****.

Probably so.

I think the DC matters quite a bit in Saban's system, even if it is Saban's defense because the DC is still calling the plays. Just like with us, it may have been Urban Meyer's offense but without a decent playcaller you're stuck with someone like Adazzio who can't call home collect.

1) Offensive playcalling is more critical to the game than defensive playcalling. A poor, unimaginative offensive coordinator is more likely to hamstring great talent than an equally bad defensive coordinator on the other side of the ball.

While coaching is important on both sides of the ball, it's easier to unleash defensive talent and harder to screw it up.

2) Meyer may be a spread guy, but I don't think anyone considers him a guru like Saban is on the defensive side of the ball. As far as I know, Meyer was never even a offensive coordinator. I think Meyer leans more on his OC than Saban does his DC.

3) Smart is in a better situation than Daz, and so was Mullen. Don't get me wrong... Daz was no genius at UF. But (in his defense) he never had Harvin, who was born for the spread option, and had John Brantley his 2nd year. He did not have quite the same talent as his predecessor and probably looked worse than he was because of it. I don't think the offensive dropoff from 2007-2008 to 2009-2010 was all his fault.
Beauregard
Freshman Gator

Postby law98gator » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:37 am

Beauregard wrote:2) Meyer may be a spread guy, but I don't think anyone considers him a guru like Saban is on the defensive side of the ball. As far as I know, Meyer was never even a offensive coordinator.

Nurvous Creyer's coordinator experience was as a special teams coordinator. He was never a DC, OC, or co coordinator anywhere.

He didn't rely on his OC as much, instead they game-planned certain series and plays for certain downs, distances, and defensive looks. Remember when they talked about letting Leak gameplan the first few series in the 06 NCG? Defenses figured it our pretty quickly and learned they could get a certain play by showing a certain defense (then actually running something else). The offense didn't have time to adjust again because the first play usually came in with very little time on the clock.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
Bammer wrote:Isn't government intrusion your flavor du jour, divits?
Isn’t every flavor ever known to man your flavor du jour?
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby law98gator » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:38 am

Beauregard wrote:3) Smart is in a better situation than Daz, and so was Mullen. Don't get me wrong... Daz was no genius at UF.

Daz & Loeffler looked way less conservative at Temple. It makes me wonder if the problem wasn't with the Head Bucknut.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
Bammer wrote:Isn't government intrusion your flavor du jour, divits?
Isn’t every flavor ever known to man your flavor du jour?
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby GatorKen » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:25 am

law98gator wrote:
Beauregard wrote:3) Smart is in a better situation than Daz, and so was Mullen. Don't get me wrong... Daz was no genius at UF.

Daz & Loeffler looked way less conservative at Temple. It makes me wonder if the problem wasn't with the Head Bucknut.

oddly they have the forward pass there. Meyer was anti-forward pass.
oxrageous wrote:Ken and I are now officially best friends.

I want an OC with the mentality of a High School Jr on Prom night rather than a guy who's been married 20 years and has 4 children.
GatorKen
Bull Gator

Postby Quasimodo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:32 am

Who was that other Bama fan that didn't know how to quote? "JR78" I think it was.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Quasimodo
Head Ball Coach

Postby cover2 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:33 am

Posted this in another thread...
Don't know who was where on the AU Coach Wanted list, but they were courting Kirby Smart pretty heavily during the process. Supposedly, he asked for immediate firing/hiring privileges (to include current staff - you recall that two assistants are suspended), full disclosure on the NCAA investigation, and the opportunity to coach in the NC game. AU declined. Of course, he is a heckuva recruiter, but had no HC experience. Malzan (sp) is a good offensive coach, but unless he gets a good DC, averaging 35 a game won't do any good if they're giving up 45. That trailer park tragedy may take a while to be overcome.

I think AU was pretty interested. Take it FWIW.
"I aim to kill you in one minute, Ned, or see you hang in Ft. Smith at Judge Parker's convenience! Which'll it be?"
cover2
Heisman Gator

Postby WhoGator » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:55 am

mtn2top wrote:I've a bit surprised that Smart hasn't received more attention for some of these openings, but not as an SEC HBC. That's the top of the pile.

I disagree and feel he has turned down those "stepping stones" waiting for an offer to coach a top program, and the offer will come. Although you are correct that the bridge is far for co-ordinators to become HC's in a big boy league, it's not too far for the good ones who don't have to pay their small school dues, even going to SEC schools. The top two teams in the SEC East hired an OC (Richt) and DC (Champ) that had no HC experience. Miss State's last two HC hires (Croom and Mullen) were rookie head coaches. Kentucky (both Joker and Stoops) and Vandy (Franklin) also have gone the coordinator route. Oklahoma experimented with "on-the-job training" for DC Stoops. Smart thinking (pun intended) will land him a top HC job eventually and he won't have to go to Arkansas State (Freeze and Malzhan).

:chomp:
:chomp:
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby jjGator68 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:59 am

Agree that Kirby needs to move on from Alabama and show he can do something outside of Satan's shadow. He has worked for Satan since 2004 with the exception of 2005. He was and probably still is the highest paid assistant coach in college football and he only turns 37 this month. Satan didn't get his 1st HC job until he was 38. Something very positive about Kirby is that he was Muschamp's top pick to be his DC when Will took the Florida job. Ideally, Kirby should take a lower profile HC job next season, prove he can do it without Satan for say 3 years, and then get a HC job in the SEC. Who knows if by then, Satan who changes jobs on average every 5 years or so may be ready to retire or prove he can do it in the NFL.
jjGator68
Redshirt Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum