Who is online

Users browsing this forum: -THE DUDE-, Gatorbythebay, GMDGator, Google [Bot], I Have No Friends :(, Jabberdave, JimtheGator, MJMGator, Sasquatch Gator, TheDouglas78, UFever and 58 guests

The case for a strong Tennessee

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

The case for a strong Tennessee

Postby Class of '78 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:32 pm

It's become increasingly fashionable around here to want to kick Tennessee when it's down -- which I understand -- but I don't think it's in our best interest.

Here's why.

No. 1, a strong UT contributes to the overall health of the SEC, which benefits us. Secondly, a strong UT makes for a better rivalry with UF, which in turn contributes to our strength of schedule. Win-win.

No, I don't want to see UT overtake us, but be reasonable and ask yourself an honest question: Why do you really despise Tennessee?

That's easy. Because they were once good. Because they are SEC East foes. Because we love a rivalry. The best Tennessee moments were when they were good and we kicked their ass.

I rest my case.
Last edited by Class of '78 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Re: The case for a strong Tennessee

Postby law98gator » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:34 pm

I'm more than happy with New Rival USC and New Vandy Tinerc.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby MatthewM. » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:37 pm

The SEC has been stronger than ever the last 8 years, without the help of lowly Tennessee. Fux em
PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:39 pm

MatthewM. wrote:The SEC has been stronger than ever the last 8 years, without the help of lowly Tennessee. Fux em

Half of that time, the SEC West has been the better division. The focus has shifted west, away from us. I'm not sure that's good.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby snowrayster » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:39 pm

What is Ten-nes-see? If I only count one-nes-see does
that count?
Living at 5468 feet up!

"Revenge is a kind of wild justice."
Francis Bacon

"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,
Or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning
snowrayster
Bull Gator

Postby oxrageous » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:43 pm

Yeah, I think Vandy is going to replace UT as our new rival. Franklin is building something there.
oxrageous

Postby Kurtis Lowe » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:50 pm

A stronger UT is a bigger obstacle for UF (a program not needing to further beef it's schedule).

There's no way you'd convince me to wish them well, and mean it. Especially given the current "overall health" of the conference.
Because the ACC just doesn't prepare you.
Kurtis Lowe
All-American Gator

Postby Swamp Queen » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:50 pm

:yawn2:

I despise Tennessee and I'll gladly sit back and watch their misery. I'm perfectly OK with Vandy taking over for them.
lizard84 wrote:maybe swamp queen and sas deserve each other.

DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
Swamp Queen
Bull Gator

Postby ncargat1 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:53 pm

Class of '78 wrote:It's become increasingly fashionable around here to want to kick Tennessee when it's down -- which I understand -- but I don't think it's in our best interest.

Here's why.

No. 1, a strong UT contributes to the overall health of the SEC, which benefits us. Secondly, a strong UT makes for a better rivalry with UF, which in turn contributes to our strength of schedule. Win-win.

No, I don't want to see UT overtake us, but be reasonable and ask yourself an honest question: Why do you really despise Tennessee?

That's easy. Because they were once good. Because they are SEC East foes. Because we love a rivalry. The best Tennessee moments were when they were good and we kicked their ass.

I rest my case.

I hate Tennessee because while doing an internship at Oak Ridge National Lab I had to put up with their delusional braggadocio. It is a school that had its run, and now it is done, and its delusional fan base will not accept it.

All throughout the 90's the East had the big 3. The east still has the big 3, just a different big 3. How does that weaken the east.

Also, based solely on the BCS rankings, I would say that the SEC is stronger than ever.
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
- Thomas Paine
ncargat1
Head Ball Coach

Postby WhoGator » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:57 pm

Swamp Queen wrote::yawn2:

I despise Tennessee and I'll gladly sit back and watch their misery. I'm perfectly OK with Vandy taking over for them.

And with SOS there, USCe has replaced them anyway for the division sos. When Spurrier leaves and Cocks go back to their limp selves, when Vandy returns to normal... you may have a valid argument. For now, I'm enjoying this almost as much as watching Trey Burton go for 80.

:chomp:
:chomp:
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby mtn2top » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:01 am

I wouldn't worry too much 78, they'll be back in time. Too much history, too many resources and plenty of emphasis on football in Knoxville for it not to stay like this for long.

This entire situation just goes to show the incredible power an AD has today in college football. We're so lucky to have Jeremy Foley and all of the great things he has done. UT had Mile Hamilton and its was just the opposite. It's also the fault of the President and trustees of UT, to let it go for so long. It all started with the underhanded way they dealt with Phil Fulmer and his dismissal.

Any HBC change can set a program back. Changing everything, as they did at UT is a minimum of three to five years. Having two disastrous coaching changes in a row amplifies the situation. Even if they hire a great coach now it's going to be at best, a couple of years to recruit, rebuild the program to respectability.

In the meantime, I have no problem watching UT flounder around. They have to accept the mistakes of the past and take responsibility for their own undoing. I know we have in the past.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby law98gator » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:06 am

MatthewM. wrote:The SEC has been stronger than ever the last 8 years, without the help of lowly Tennessee. Fux em

THIS
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby ncargat1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:08 am

mtn2top wrote:I wouldn't worry too much 78, they'll be back in time. Too much history, too many resources and plenty of emphasis on football in Knoxville for it not to stay like this for long.

They have been saying the same thing about Colorado since Sal Aunese knocked up Bill McCartney's daughter....and they are still a dumpster fire more than two decades later.

Tennessee is done.
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
- Thomas Paine
ncargat1
Head Ball Coach

Postby law98gator » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:08 am

mtn2top wrote:I wouldn't worry too much 78, they'll be back in time.

Mississippi was a traditional powerhouse in the SEC. Nothing is inevitable. Tinerc has a big stadium, but nothing else, no recruits in their state and no money. They are just as like to remain a cellar-dweller. Nothing is inevitable at all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Class of '78 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:14 am

Stop this nonsense about Vandy overcoming UT. They're a bunch of brainiacs. Not gonna happen. :lol:

One or two vacuum effects is going to happen if UT gets strong again. Either it's because the rest of the division gets decidedly weaker or because of (to a lesser degree due to scheduling) a power shift east.

Doesn't a power shift toward the east help us?
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby snowrayster » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:19 am

Why does anyone care about what Ten-a Flea does???? have
any of you have stock in Ten-a-Flea????
Living at 5468 feet up!

"Revenge is a kind of wild justice."
Francis Bacon

"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,
Or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning
snowrayster
Bull Gator

Postby mtn2top » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:39 am

ncargat1 wrote:
mtn2top wrote:I wouldn't worry too much 78, they'll be back in time. Too much history, too many resources and plenty of emphasis on football in Knoxville for it not to stay like this for long.

They have been saying the same thing about Colorado since Sal Aunese knocked up Bill McCartney's daughter....and they are still a dumpster fire more than two decades later.

Tennessee is done.

Colorado is a entirely different situation. I have to hold classes and clinics out here on "How To Be A College Football Fan." It's pathetic.

McCartney big year in 1990 was a fluke of sorts and a perfect alignment of circumstances for the Buffs. Sal's death was huge motivating factor. It was not the emergence of a dynasty by any means.

Barnett had some respectable years at CU, but there's never been a significant commitment to coaches, staff and facilities in the modern era. That's not true at UT. Entirely different level of expectation and support in Tennessee.

Les Miles played a big role in the Aunese saga while on the CU staff. He later recruited Sal's kid to play at LSU some 18 years later.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby gator1946 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:41 am

Next thing you know '78 you'll be making a case for a strong UGA. I'd rather they be a whimpering, slobbering, incompetent, blubbering pile of jello. :D
gator1946
Heisman Gator

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:52 am

The Tennessee program is still a good program, and they will be back. They are not as far down as a lot of people think.

As Fulmer went along he didn't keep his edge. Tennessee couldn't fire an alumnus who won a national title until things got bad. Lane Kiffin and Ed Orgeron came in, and the program started to pick up again. But Kiffin really threw a wrench in things when he bolted to return to Southern Cal as a head coach.

Tennessee took a gamble on Dooley and lost. Now they are having a hard time hiring a coach who is a proven winner as a head coach at a major program. But that is actually a hard thing to do. If a coach is a winner at his program, he is going to be reluctant to leave, and that program is going to do everything to hold on to him.

Remember, we did not land a big name coach with head coaching experience either when we hired Zook and Muschamp. Those were gambles. Sure, we got Urban Meyer, and sure Meyer had some success at Utah, but no one thinks of Utah as one of the big programs in college football. It is just hard to hire a big name coach with a winning record at a decent program.

Fans at all schools think they can just go out and hire big names and these coaches are just going to come to them like magnets. At top ten programs that might happen, but even at programs in the range of 15 to 30 it is not an easy thing to land a big fish. Tennessee and Dave Hart made a mistake when they said they were going to hire a proven head coach at a top program. They are now facing going to second tier programs or hiring a coordinator which is always a gamble.
Last edited by Okeechobee Joe on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby oxrageous » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:55 am

Okeechobee Joe wrote:The Tennessee program is still a good program, and they will be back. They are not as far down as a lot of people think.

No they won't and yes they are.
oxrageous

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum