Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 28 guests

Who Should Be The Starting Mike Linebacker next year?

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Who Should Be The Starting Mike Linebacker next year?

Postby heversle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:31 am

I can't say that I'm freaking out about this, but I am slightly concerned about this. Losing Bostic may be more significant than I imagined. My gut tells me that Jelani Jenkins should slide inside, but I think he's a natural WILL linebacker. I think Morrison is physical enough to be the guy, but I'm not sure how he is in coverage.

What do you guys think?
heversle
Head Ball Coach

Re: Who Should Be The Starting Mike Linebacker next year?

Postby sobergoose » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:36 am

Jenkins will stay on the outisde. Michael Taylor will probably replace Jon in the middle and it will probably be between Ball and Morrison on the other side. I expect Morrison to be out all-position fill-in guy. We should be pretty deep at LB next year. Ronald Powell will also be back at Buck next year as well.

Jenkins
Taylor
Morrison
Ball
Kitchens
Powell, J

And you never know how a few of the newcomers will play. Our LB corps should be pretty deep next year.
--

"In all kinds of weather..."
sobergoose
Baby Gator

Postby NVGator » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:42 am

Morrison looked good. I'm also thinking Ball or Ajagbe could step up.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby DCflorida » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:32 am

I think Michael Taylor is the more natural Mike and he has shown flashes of being pretty darn good. Jelani could step over too and be just fine.

Muschamp will have it sured-up, so dont lose any sleep just yet.
DCflorida
Bull Gator

Postby heversle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:58 am

Ah! Forgot about Michael Taylor. Tough linebacker, but he is a little short. I'd be surprised if he was even 6'0 tall. Man, it sure would be nice to have a big MIKE that's in that 6'2 - 6'4 range like Brandon Spikes. He was a terror and a tackle-machine in the middle of that defense. But, luckily we have a bunch of blue-collar, physical linebackers. Their instincts, speed, football IQ, and overall toughness should make up for any physical shortcomings. There's no doubt that they'll be an overachieving bunch; I just hope a leader emerges in the middle to quarterback our defense.
heversle
Head Ball Coach

Postby diehardg8r » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:36 am

Taylor, and he will probably be 10-15 pds heavier.
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.” Dante
diehardg8r
Bull Gator

Postby Ga Gator » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:54 am

Right now Jenkins is the only one with enough weight to handle the pounding a Middle LB takes, but if Taylor or Morrison can bulk up to the 230-235 range I would want Morrison; he hits like a ton of bricks. Just ask the Halfass U QB.
Ga Gator
Senior Gator

Postby mrgator » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:57 am

Don't we have Taylor and Kitchens? Trying to remember if Kitchens is a mike backer. I think Taylor should fill in fine if Jenkins stays and Morrison continues to develop. I could see Morrison moving to the middle if needed. We are going to need a MLB recruit to come in so we can develop him over the next two years.
mrgator
Heisman Gator

Postby GatorBait25 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:52 am

Taylor for sure. Anyone remember his sack on Manziel to knock them out of FG range before the half? Big play right there and ended up being the difference in the game. Taylor should start off there, and i'm sure Quinn will have Morrison and Jelani learn the position as well for depth and injury purposes. Jelani has been around long enough to know the position, and Morrison appears to be a very quick learner. We never missed a beat when Jelani went down.
GatorBait25
True Gator

Postby GatorTAG » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:35 am

Morrison.

But, in an effort to get your best guys on the field what would you guys think about this front seven?

3-4
Ball--------Morrison--------Powell--------Jenkins
------Bullard--------Easley--------Fowler Jr.

4-3
------Jenkins--------Powell--------Ball
Bullard--------Easley--------Orr--------Fowler
Swamp Queen wrote:I miss basketball just so you negative tards couldn't complain as much.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby WobbleGator » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:36 am

Why not 4-4?
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby heversle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:47 am

As crazy as it sounds, I actually think Powell would be very good at MLB. He's a tremendous athlete with great size. And based on the way Fowler and Bullard came on this season, I'm confident our pass rush will be more than OK in the coming years. But the coaching staff raved about RoPo's performance at BUCK before he got injured, so I doubt we see a position change. It's fun to ponder the possibilities though...
heversle
Head Ball Coach

Postby Mr. Eko » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:29 am

heversle wrote:As crazy as it sounds, I actually think Powell would be very good at MLB. He's a tremendous athlete with great size. And based on the way Fowler and Bullard came on this season, I'm confident our pass rush will be more than OK in the coming years. But the coaching staff raved about RoPo's performance at BUCK before he got injured, so I doubt we see a position change. It's fun to ponder the possibilities though...

If Ropo is healthy in the spring (or not), Quinn will have a huge advantage in being able to disguise blitzs. I expect Ropo could cover the tight-end and be worked into some nice schemes with a zone blitz. 2 years ago I saw him blanket-cover a WR. Quinn is going to get the 4 best LB's on the field.

With concerns at DT, I think we will see a base defense with a 3-4.
Mr. Eko
True Gator

Postby BMF » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:01 pm

We are finally getting close to having 85 recruited scholarship players for the first time in 3 or 4 years. We are thin at WR and DT only. Our only concerns seem to be, "...is this unproven player going to be as good as the guy he's replacing?" Basically, are we reloading at that position or rebuilding?

I think Taylor plays Mike...
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby GatorBart » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:03 pm

Mike Taylor plays Mike - book it. ;)
GatorBart
Head Ball Coach

Postby ACappsUF29 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:08 pm

Mike Taylor is a pure MLB and I imagine he will start there next year and do great. With Powell at the Buck and Jenkins and Morrison on the outside. But Ball, Kitchens and Fowler will play just as much as the starters. Losing Bostic hurts but LBs will be deep next year.
ACappsUF29
Senior Gator

Postby #1GATOR FAN » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:53 pm

Hype, hype, hype for RoPo even though he hasnt done much. I hope he will be good as everyone thinks he will
#1GATOR FAN
Heisman Gator

Postby ltraz » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:18 pm

GatorBart wrote:Mike Taylor plays Mike - book it. ;)

Not sure at all why you think that. Mike Taylor plays 'selfish' football and does not fit our scheme at all. Keep in mind that when JJ went down earlier in the year Taylor and AM rotated, but by the end of the year it was AM by himself. The biggest improvement Bostic made this season is his ability to take on and shed blockers (Hunter also for people wondering why he played so much better) and that is what Taylor does not do. He will not start for us at his current level. Everyone notices the good plys, but sometimes look at who 'wrong'shouldered a lead block or got his pads vertical. That's more important than the occasioanl sack. That's also what makes coaches rave about RoPo. When Bostic shot in for a sack last year it was often started by RoPo crashing and eating a tackle and FB by himself.

If RoPo returns to form, he will be impossible to keep off the field, but he plays great in space so I assume he'll start at OLB (no one switches a OLB to MLB late in college) and Fowler will stay at Buck (moving Fowler to DE in a 3-4 negates his strengths). Who's playing OLB vs Buck won't matter since their versatility and ability to shift a formation w/o switching sides will be the biggest pro. I see the starters as this...

3-4:
Fowler JJ AM RoPo
Bullard Orr Easley

4-3:
JJ AM RoPo
Fowler Orr Easley Bullard

Next year's nickel will really be interesting. Do we take a DT or 'short' LB (Will or MLB) off the field?
ltraz
Heisman Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:55 pm

ltraz wrote:
GatorBart wrote:Mike Taylor plays Mike - book it. ;)

Not sure at all why you think that.

:facepalm:
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Alagator » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:14 pm

sobergoose wrote:Jenkins will stay on the outisde. Michael Taylor will probably replace Jon in the middle and it will probably be between Ball and Morrison on the other side. I expect Morrison to be out all-position fill-in guy. We should be pretty deep at LB next year. Ronald Powell will also be back at Buck next year as well.

Jenkins
Taylor
Morrison
Ball
Kitchens
Powell, J

And you never know how a few of the newcomers will play. Our LB corps should be pretty deep next year.

so what you're saying is we should pretty deep at LB next year.?.? :cool3:
Last edited by Alagator on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kcgator wrote:
...bite him in his tightly puckered anus.

Soflagator wrote:
"We should really try not sucking for 30+ minutes of each game."
Alagator
Heisman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum