Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BNAG8R, Chomper, Go Gata, MSNbot Media, Sasquatch Gator, Yahoo [Bot] and 68 guests

247 Sports Reporting all night Charlie Strong to UT

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

247 Sports Reporting all night Charlie Strong to UT

Postby ncargat1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:07 pm

I have heard nothing anywhere else other than driving home listening to Sirius 247 Sports, but they keep talking about it as though it were a done deal.

If true, good for Charlie. The clock is ticking until he is fired......
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
- Thomas Paine
ncargat1
Head Ball Coach

Re: 247 Sports Reporting all night Charlie Strong to UT

Postby GatorTAG » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:13 pm

Terrible news if true. The thought of a good guy like Charlie Strong stuck at a hell hole like Tennessee depresses me. I hope he gets paid well.
Swamp Queen wrote:I miss basketball just so you negative tards couldn't complain as much.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby divits888 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:27 pm

It makes sense for both. Charlie will make at least twice his current salary with a chance to coach in a conference in which he is very familiar and which is considered the best and most stable in the land. He will also have a very large and supportive fanbase (to start) along with great facilities. A real no-brainer for him.

Tennessee will get a good coach who is well respected by his peers (the anti- Lane Kiffin) and who has a fairly consistant track record of success (the anti-Lane Kiffin AND Derek Dooley). They will also be getting a coach who has a fantastic recruiting pipeline into Florida. If Strong could convince top notch Miami kids to go to Louisville he should have no problem convincing them to go to Tennessee.
divits888
Bull Gator

Postby --,==,< » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:27 pm

I wish him some measure of luck...only as much as necessary to get UT one or two wins behind the Gators in the final SEC east standings, each and every year.
--,==,<
True Gator

Postby StPeteGator » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:31 pm

GatorTAG wrote:Terrible news if true. The thought of a good guy like Charlie Strong stuck at a hell hole like Tennessee depresses me. I hope he gets paid well.

Maybe he'll turn it around. Even though I hate losing to them, it's more interesting now that UGA can challenge us again.
StPeteGator
Senior Gator

Postby FunnGun » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:43 pm

divits888 wrote:It makes sense for both. Charlie will make at least twice his current salary with a chance to coach in a conference in which he is very familiar and which is considered the best and most stable in the land. He will also have a very large and supportive fanbase (to start) along with great facilities. A real no-brainer for him.

Tennessee will get a good coach who is well respected by his peers (the anti- Lane Kiffin) and who has a fairly consistant track record of success (the anti-Lane Kiffin AND Derek Dooley). They will also be getting a coach who has a fantastic recruiting pipeline into Florida. If Strong could convince top notch Miami kids to go to Louisville he should have no problem convincing them to go to Tennessee.

Agree. Charlie is stability and smart move if they do go in that direction. One of his best attributes is his credibility and connections throughout Florida, but especially in South Florida. I don't think he'll build a power house but he'll certainly have great years.
Last edited by FunnGun on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Class of '78 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:43 pm

FWIW, this was posted a couple hours ago on the UT board, where feelings are rather split on Strong. And, yes, lots of racial overtones from those who are not pleased.

Just heard on 104.5 from a caller in Louisville (per 790 AM in Louisville) that Strong was offered $3.7MM-5yr deal. Will be announced tomorrow.

Having rolled the dice on its last two coaches and lost, I can understand Tennessee wanting to go safe. Strong is an excellent, if safe, choice, a guy who, like Muschamp, will build from a defensive foundation, recruit like hell and represent the university well.

I think it's a home run for UT.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby GatorTAG » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:45 pm

StPeteGator wrote:
GatorTAG wrote:Terrible news if true. The thought of a good guy like Charlie Strong stuck at a hell hole like Tennessee depresses me. I hope he gets paid well.

Maybe he'll turn it around. Even though I hate losing to them, it's more interesting now that UGA can challenge us again.

I don't think you understand.

[YouTube] http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Vt2BAfhU ... t2BAfhUHX0[/YouTube]
Swamp Queen wrote:I miss basketball just so you negative tards couldn't complain as much.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby FunnGun » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:48 pm

So far I'd say Arkansas and Tenn(if Strong) pulled off strong hires. Auburn's is still up in the air depending on a DC hire, but I still don't like it. I guess some boosters were enamored with him when he was their OC. That or they know he'll play ball.
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Class of '78 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:53 pm

FunnGun wrote:So far I'd say Arkansas and Tenn(if Strong) pulled off strong hires. Auburn's is still up in the air depending on a DC hire, but I still don't like it. I guess some boosters were enamored with him when he was their OC. That or they know he'll play ball.

You've now got three solid examples of guys building top SEC programs from the defensive side of the ball. Tennessee appears ready to follow that path.

If you're going to come in with a great offensive mind, you had better find someone of almost equal pedigree to balance it out. Great defense is what the SEC has come to symbolize.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby law98gator » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:54 pm

Strong is like hiring a Zook-like recruiting coordinator who can also coach the D (which Zook obviously couldn't).

I won't like seeing CS in that pumpkin orange.
Last edited by law98gator on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
Bammer wrote:Isn't government intrusion your flavor du jour, divits?
Isn’t every flavor ever known to man your flavor du jour?
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Maillot Jaune » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:57 pm

Told ya.

Mixed feelings about this. Charlie's a great guy and a long time Gator. That will have some Vol fans undermining him. Unlike USC w/SOS, who would do anything to get a winner on the field....even to the point of hiring a Gator....the Vol faithful will not fully be behind Charlie. Ask Alvin/Cosmos.
Maillot Jaune
Heisman Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:01 pm

law98gator wrote:Strong is like hiring a Zook recruiting coordinator who can also coach the D (which Zook couldn't).

I won't like seeing CS in that pumpkin orange.

We've seen for ourselves how well that approach can work. I'm sure he's itching to see what he can do defensively with the kind of athletes he'll be able to recruit now. I almost sense a balance shift toward the SEC East.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby Mr. Eko » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:02 pm

FunnGun wrote:So far I'd say Arkansas and Tenn(if Strong) pulled off strong hires. Auburn's is still up in the air depending on a DC hire, but I still don't like it. I guess some boosters were enamored with him when he was their OC. That or they know he'll play ball.

I think Auburn is a HORRIBLE mess where boosters make the decisions and ADs just go along with them. They ran Tubberville out of Auburn though he beat Bama 5 out of 6 games and were once undefeated.

Because of the 'Money man' calling the shots, This is the worst job in the SEC IMO. Makes The Miss. jobs look like Notre Dame.

Will say Starkville is the WORST SEC town for a game that I have ever been to.
Mr. Eko
True Gator

Postby law98gator » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:04 pm

I'd rather get time-warped back to the 50s than drive through Mi'sippi.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
Bammer wrote:Isn't government intrusion your flavor du jour, divits?
Isn’t every flavor ever known to man your flavor du jour?
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Ancient Reptile » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:08 pm

law98gator wrote:I'd rather get time-warped back to the 50s than drive through Mi'sippi.

There you go; you're doing it again. Keep your prejudice to yourself. Prejudice isn't welcome here. The Gator Nation is everywhere.
Ancient Reptile
Heisman Gator

Postby GatorKen » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:16 pm

Strong to UT would be a good move for UT. Strong in the SEC is good for Strong and its not some bottom of the SEC school. I think Strong can make UT a decent middle of the SEC team and have a few nice years. 8-4/9-3 seasons would be realistic again
oxrageous wrote:Ken and I are now officially best friends.

I want an OC with the mentality of a High School Jr on Prom night rather than a guy who's been married 20 years and has 4 children.
GatorKen
Bull Gator

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:31 pm

Charlie Strong has been a favorite coach of mine for years, I really don't want to hate him.
:burp:
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby shortcast » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:32 pm

I will wait for the deal to be done...than I will say ..."I told you so" :lol: would be a great hire for the Vols.
"Apparently, I'm supposed to be more angry about what Mitt Romney does with his money than what Barack Obama does with mine." David Burge Iowa Blog
shortcast
Senior Gator

Postby itsgr82bag8r » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:40 pm

It seems Charlie might have a difficult time making up his mind. UT is in no condition to enter a money war with anyone.

And there's Charlie Strong. The hottest coach in the country. At Louisville.

It should be scary, but Louisville athletics director Tom Jurich doesn't look scared. He doesn't sound scared, either. This I know, because I asked him. I found Jurich before the game and asked him why Strong wouldn't leave Louisville after this season.

"One," Jurich said, "he has a great contract."

True enough. I'd heard Strong is one of the 10 highest-paid coaches in the country. I asked Jurich if that was true.

"It is," Jurich said. "And we'll make him No. 1 if we have to."

This is where I did something I never do. I asked Jurich to repeat what he just said, knowing full well he could change his answer. But the answer I heard -- We'll make him No. 1 if we have to -- didn't make sense. So, um, what did you say, Tom?

"I said we'll make him [number] one if we have to."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/20701139/louisvilles-great-season-will-make-sec-teams-target-its-head-coach-charlie-strong
Travis McGee wrote:The SEC is on its most dominate stretch its history, and Tennessee has played no part.

"its great to be a Tennessee fan" ..said no one ever
itsgr82bag8r
Bull Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum