Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BlackLabGator, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media and 40 guests

Gators New WR Coach - Joker Phillips

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Gators New WR Coach - Joker Phillips

Postby FunnGun » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:38 am

Florida: Don't be surprised if Will Muschamp hires Joker Phillips as wide receivers coach.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker.html

It's also being mentioned a lot elsewhere and some are citing this source.

Just saw this:
FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop
Joker's first day is expected to be Thursday.
Last edited by FunnGun on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Re: Gators New WR Coach

Postby WobbleGator » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:39 am

Good hire? :dunno:
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby FunnGun » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:40 am

@footballscoop: Muschamp has agreed to hire Joker Phillips. Look for announcement later this week http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

@footballscoop: Muschamp had opportunity to add a number of excellent coaches. Chose Joker. Excellent hire in our opinion.
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby GatorJB » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:43 am

I think it's an excellent hire. He did a great job at Kentucky as an assistant.
GatorJB
Heisman Gator

Postby gatorspook » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:43 am

WobbleGator wrote:Good hire? :dunno:

abso-effen-lutely yes
gatorspook

Postby Mr2Bits » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:45 am

I like it. Dead end job in Tucky but he will bring the heat as a recruiter and coach.
Why drive when you can fly!
Mr2Bits
Heisman Gator

Postby FunnGun » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:46 am

Pretty good pick-up, imo. He played WR for Kentucky and a couple of years in the NFL. Caoched, mostly WR, for the last twenty years or so, good recruiter, knows the area.
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby AlwaysAGator » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:59 am

I think it's a good hire. He was also the offensive coordinator at Kentucky when Andre Woodson was there. They had one of the most productive offenses in the SEC then. He also took over as wide receivers coach at Notre Dame when Meyer left. Hope he works out well for us. Welcome to the Gator Nation, Joker! It's an upgrade from head coach of the dumpster fire that is Kentucky football.
TitleTown is my home!
AlwaysAGator
Baby Gator

Postby FunnGun » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:13 pm

http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2012/12/3/ ... vers-coach

Nothing is official yet, but Robbie has reported it as a solid rumor that he's trying to confirm. It looks as though it's going to go down, but still waiting on something credible.

Also found this on Chris Peterson going to Arky.
http://www.hogcountryonline.com/?p=7955
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby NavetG8r » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:18 pm

Sounds like a good hire. I assume it'll be a paycut for Joker. Hopefully he'll work some magic with our non-productive receivers and earn himself into a respectable check.
DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
NavetG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby mtn2top » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:18 pm

I wouldn't be surprised by this hire, as the source indicates in the cited article by the OP. I'll wait for confirmation from the UF AD. IMHO There are a lot of WR position coaches with NFL experience that would be better for UF considering the improvement needed.

Being a position coach, even at Florida, seems to be a major stepdown for Philips. I would think he could land another HBC gig at a smaller school or become an offensive coordinator in a large conference.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby FunnGun » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:19 pm

Bob Redman :
With the rumors about Joker Phillips as new WR coach at UF we did have eye witness to him flying out of Gainesville Friday

And...Fisher to UT? :lol:

We have been told the Florida State’s Fisher is tops on Hart’s list and that does make sense. He hired Fisher as coach-in-waiting in Tallahassee, Fisher has SEC ties and a Dixie-fied recruiting base, and Hart was fired by FSU. How better to get back at the guys who let you go than to swipe their coach? Multiple sources have told us that Fisher and Hart will meet this week in New York, probably today.

http://www.mrsec.com/2012/12/sec-coachi ... ore-260187
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby gatorJ » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:21 pm

FunnGun wrote:http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2012/12/3/3722190/joker-phillips-hired-florida-wide-receivers-coach

Nothing is official yet, but Robbie has reported it as a solid rumor that he's trying to confirm. It looks as though it's going to go down, but still waiting on something credible.

Also found this on Chris Peterson going to Arky.
http://www.hogcountryonline.com/?p=7955

That would be a coup for Arkansas if true. We need a WR coach badly. TheJoker hire would bea really good one hope it's true.
oxrageous wrote:Well you're sure in for a surprise. Peasant.
gatorJ
Head Ball Coach

Postby Class of '78 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:25 pm

He's got plenty of experience as wide receivers coach -- Kentucky, South Carolina, Notre Dame, Minnesota, Cincinnati -- but does anyone know just how effective he was?

This is a key hire, really the last remaining puzzle piece for an offense that, if it clicks, could set us on a national championship course.
Last edited by Class of '78 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby BoomTown » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:25 pm

Excellent addition. Don't want to take anything away from former Gators, but this definitely an upgrade...yes, I know he's been gone a while.
BoomTown
Heisman Gator

Postby FunnGun » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:32 pm

BoomTown wrote:Excellent addition. Don't want to take anything away from former Gators, but this definitely an upgrade...yes, I know he's been gone a while.

He's definitely an upgrade in coaching and self discipline.
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Re: Gators New WR Coach - Joker Phillips

Postby DCflorida » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:46 pm

Excellent hire, for two reasons:

1) He adds a name to our recruiting. He'll be a coach that walks in and is known by Mom's and Dad's and HS coaches.

2) He has studied all the defenses in the SEC and will add insight to our weekly game-planning.
DCflorida
Bull Gator

Postby mtn2top » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:48 pm

An additional staff consideration is Muschamp having a qualified O-coordinator in waiting, as a backup for Pease. Phillips will have at least a year to learn the system and players which would allow for a seamless transition, if needed.

Philips also has an outstanding reputation as a recruiter.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby DaMagicGator » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:52 pm

BoomTown wrote:Excellent addition. Don't want to take anything away from former Gators, but this definitely an upgrade...yes, I know he's been gone a while.

Not so sure he will be gone soon. If Florida wins it all next year, Pease would be inline for a HC job somewhere, Joker could be our OC in waiting. I really like the hire always good to add a coach with HC experience under his belt. Has ties to recruiting in SEC states and should help us attract WR's into our program.
Its good to be a Gator!
Mess with the best, Die like the rest!
FB: b.wolf84 PSN B-wolf84
DaMagicGator
True Gator

Postby ccsdk » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:56 pm

He may also pull in some real studs at the position.
ccsdk
Senior Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum