Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ReelGatorDoc and 42 guests

Long Range Plans for Stadium Expansion

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Long Range Plans for Stadium Expansion

Postby Plantation Gator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:03 pm

Are there any long range plans to expand the stadium?

What is the official capacity of the stadium anyway? 88,000?

90 to 92,00 sounds like a good number.
Plantation Gator
Freshman Gator

Re: Long Range Plans for Stadium Expansion

Postby I Have No Friends :( » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:16 pm

Let's work on getting it filled again first before thinking about expansion.
gatorpe wrote:Urb is a low life lying lover jilting big ten dBAG.

I Have No Friends :(
Bull Gator

Postby gardnerwebbalumnigator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:20 pm

I Have No Friends :( wrote:Let's work on getting it filled again first before thinking about expansion.

+1. Although I read awhile back where UF engineers said it would be next to impossible to fill in the two gaps in the north end, so it might be a moot discussion.
"Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
gardnerwebbalumnigator
Head Ball Coach

Postby law98gator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:40 pm

Gotta wonder who the morons were that designed that.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby GulfG8r » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:46 pm

Leave the stadium alone. It's awesome just as it is.
GulfG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby Plantation Gator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:59 pm

I am a little concerned that FSU could pass us by and we could become a smaller venue SEC stadium in the long range.
Plantation Gator
Freshman Gator

Postby gatorbait86 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:59 pm

law98gator wrote:Gotta wonder who the morons were that designed that.

Don't remember the names off the top of my head (and a quick glance at Wikipedia didn't help), but when designing the current stadium architecture, including the four walls, the Dean of the College of Music was brought in to work with the engineers on the acoustics of the stadium; specifically, the shape of a normal "bowl" stadium lends itself that when the crowd shouts noise down to the field, the noise on the field is at a steady hum going down to the field, then back out; with The Swamp's irregular architecture (e.g. the four corner walls and North Endzone), sound goes down to the field, but when it comes back up, instead of going out, it hits the extended areas, such as the walls, then bounces back down to the field, and repeats. The effect is instead of a steady hum, it is a vibrating, irregular sound that can cause disorientation and confusion when being heard. Couple that with the close proximity of fans to the field (in a sense that they are towering over the field and not falling back as in a bowl shape) is supposed to add visual disorientation to the audio...
gatorbait86
Redshirt Gator

Postby Mr. Eko » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:05 pm

I believe Foley said there is no plans to expand the stadium. At capacity it seats 92,000+. It is also one of the few stadiums which has foundations below sea-level which also makes for more noise.

I also agree UF should come up with ways to fill it's stands. Obviouslly, a winning football team helps!! But the city of Ganesville could do more. Home games are only 7 times a year. Residents can't let people park their cars for games on their property without a licence now. Have more to do (events) after non-conference games.

UF appeared on TV 11 out of 12 games, and people have pointed out how much going to games costs. That matters. I watched the SEC Championship game at Crawford Ker's Wing-House on Archer Rd. here in Gainesville and had a GREAT time. It's a tough fight.

I certainly think UF should abolish the law that says students cant sell student tickets and please allow students to sell their tickets cheap to fans on Gameday to fans who want to go to the games.

There is lot's to be done before UF even thinks about expanding the stadium for 2,000 more seats.
Mr. Eko
True Gator

Postby RowdyReptile » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:15 pm

Plantation Gator wrote:I am a little concerned that FSU could pass us by and we could become a smaller venue SEC stadium in the long range.

Does this keep you up nights?
Keeping Gators in the loop
Paradox: The government wants every citizen to prove that they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens
RowdyReptile
Heisman Gator

Postby Double Gator Dad » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:19 pm

Plantation Gator wrote:I am a little concerned that FSU could pass us by and we could become a smaller venue SEC stadium in the long range.

FSU averaged about 55,000 for their home games the last few years. I doubt they will be able to beg the legislature for more money to add onto a stadium they can't fill.

Although anything is possible with government these days especially when the need is framed up as the needy, poor little sister program that doesn't have as much money and it would be the "fair" thing to do to give them the funds.

Sound like anything else going on in this country today????
Double Gator Dad
All-American Gator

Postby cuuf » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:28 pm

They are getting ready to make 50mill in improvements to the O'Dome (wayyyyy overdue). Now they just need to rebuild McKethan before they talk about doing anything else to the stadium.
Who cares anymore
cuuf
Heisman Gator

Postby Deuce Coupe » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:44 pm

I would rather spend the money on an All Weather Practice Facility.

Seating capacity is fine at 90,000+
You can't spell SUCK without Image
Deuce Coupe
Heisman Gator

Postby BMF » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:44 pm

cuuf wrote:They are getting ready to make 50mill in improvements to the O'Dome (wayyyyy overdue). Now they just need to rebuild McKethan before they talk about doing anything else to the stadium.

Agreed. The baseball stadium needs a complete overhaul!

I can't believe anyone would suggest adding seats to BHG when it's not even being filled as it is. It's called "supply & demand"....HELLO!

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby Mr. Eko » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:44 pm

Deuce Coupe wrote:I would rather spend the money on an All Weather Practice Facility.

There is NO place to put it but underground, and the cost would be stagering.
Mr. Eko
True Gator

Postby SavannahGator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:20 pm

Mr. Eko wrote:I believe Foley said there is no plans to expand the stadium. At capacity it seats 92,000+. It is also one of the few stadiums which has foundations below sea-level which also makes for more noise.

I also agree UF should come up with ways to fill it's stands. Obviouslly, a winning football team helps!! But the city of Ganesville could do more. Home games are only 7 times a year. Residents can't let people park their cars for games on their property without a licence now. Have more to do (events) after non-conference games.

UF appeared on TV 11 out of 12 games, and people have pointed out how much going to games costs. That matters. I watched the SEC Championship game at Crawford Ker's Wing-House on Archer Rd. here in Gainesville and had a GREAT time. It's a tough fight.

I certainly think UF should abolish the law that says students cant sell student tickets and please allow students to sell their tickets cheap to fans on Gameday to fans who want to go to the games.

There is lot's to be done before UF even thinks about expanding the stadium for 2,000 more seats.

I'm not sure what source you're using for the 92,000+ figure, but on Gatorzone.com, http://www.gatorzone.com/facilities/?venue=swamp&sport=footb the record is 90,907 against the Clowns for Timmy's last game at home. So we've never even cleared 91,000..

As for Foley's comments - that's true. As a Gator Club officer, I've attended the annual Gator Club Leaders' Weekend many times at UF, and he's always a guest speaker. Invariably, this question seems to always come up. And each time, he says it's not possible, from an architectural viewpoint. And looking at the stadium as it is I just don't see how it can be expanded. That being said, UF spent a whole lotta $$$ improving the concession area in under the West stands this past year.
"A life is not important - except in the impact it has on other lives" . . . Jackie Robinson
SavannahGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby Gator Fever » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:22 pm

With attendance lately it is alright where it is.
" But understand we are not changing who we are philosophically on offense" - Coach Will Muschamp...
Gator Fever
Bull Gator

Postby gatormark » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:29 pm

Deuce Coupe wrote:I would rather spend the money on an All Weather Practice Facility.

DING DING DING Thats the best idea yet, get a indoor practice facility,programs with half our class have these.
gatormark
Senior Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:33 pm

We're probably 13k short of the largest college stadium capacity in America, so I see that as a relatively minor issue.

Question I have is, is there demand for more luxury suite square footage at Florida Field? I don't know, which is why I am asking.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby Amazin1 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:56 pm

all weather practice facility? really? how soft have we become? that is one of our strong points...we're used to the weather here and other teams aren't...just ask lsu...lol. that is a bad idea in my opinion...
Amazin1
All-American Gator

Postby rogdochar » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:57 pm

A row of affordable top-mounted sleepover/kitchenette suites would
increase attendance for late games and increase student interest in
shagging a game or two.. and advance their education too. Throw in
a few game-view drunk-tank cages and we'd cut down DUI dangers.
Now that would get Gators & their Swamp some high publicity.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum