Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 15 guests

Grown man, punishing football

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Grown man, punishing football

Postby NitroGator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:32 am

As I read in the "Saban is a genius" thread, some have mentioned that this is the roadmap that Muschamp is using. They're right. So, do any of you think the run-first, punishing game will not work at Florida now? I do. I always have. UF is looking pretty good playing with a shell of Muschamp's recruits and some of Meyer's players. What UF did this year was win with coaching, so those who thought this staff was not going to cut it were wrong. I still think UF has a long way to go, but the path to get there is pretty straight forward. (Unlike UT, Arky, Allbarn,,et al)

I saw a couple posts early in the season saying how UF has to have finesse, blah, blah, blah, has to be high scoring by throwing the ball around, yada, yada....With that said, I seem to recall even Spurrier's best games were when a running back had more than 100+ yards.....(Did Zook ever have a 100 yd back? C4 I guess)....So, that is where UF is headed. Is it boring compared to the pass-happy FnG? Yes, but it is also proven to win in this era of CFB.

Isn't funny how offenses are cyclical? The UA/UF style of offense was big in the 70's & 80's (And seems to be back again). Then the Run and Shoot (horrible offense), Spurrier's FnG, The Spread (Pick your fave: Meyer's version-Bigger and physical or Rodriguez's version-smaller and faster). Watching Georgia Tech run that archaic double wing, triple option is kind of fun, too. But it is also boring when they are overmatched.

Wait until Muschamp gets the talent he wants and needs, allows Dillman to build them into the specimens that they will be, and really is able to let the offensive and defensive playbook be utilized. It will be fun to watch....

Last night's game would have been interesting had UF been there instead of UGA. But, I still do not think UF is quite ready for the Alabamas right now. Definitely next year. Not sure UA would have run for 350, but they darn sure would not have passed it around like that. And the ACC still sucks.
NitroGator
Redshirt Gator

Re: Grown man, punishing football

Postby divits888 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:38 am

NitroGator wrote:As I read in the "Saban is a genius" thread, some have mentioned that this is the roadmap that Muschamp is using. They're right. So, do any of you think the run-first, punishing game will not work at Florida now? I do. I always have. UF is looking pretty good playing with a shell of Muschamp's recruits and some of Meyer's players. What UF did this year was win with coaching, so those who thought this staff was not going to cut it were wrong. I still think UF has a long way to go, but the path to get there is pretty straight forward. (Unlike UT, Arky, Allbarn,,et al)

I saw a couple posts early in the season saying how UF has to have finesse, blah, blah, blah, has to be high scoring by throwing the ball around, yada, yada....With that said, I seem to recall even Spurrier's best games were when a running back had more than 100+ yards.....(Did Zook ever have a 100 yd back? C4 I guess)....So, that is where UF is headed. Is it boring compared to the pass-happy FnG? Yes, but it is also proven to win in this era of CFB.

Isn't funny how offenses are cyclical? The UA/UF style of offense was big in the 70's & 80's (And seems to be back again). Then the Run and Shoot (horrible offense), Spurrier's FnG, The Spread (Pick your fave: Meyer's version-Bigger and physical or Rodriguez's version-smaller and faster). Watching Georgia Tech run that archaic double wing, triple option is kind of fun, too. But it is also boring when they are overmatched.

Wait until Muschamp gets the talent he wants and needs, allows Dillman to build them into the specimens that they will be, and really is able to let the offensive and defensive playbook be utilized. It will be fun to watch....

Last night's game would have been interesting had UF been there instead of UGA. But, I still do not think UF is quite ready for the Alabamas right now. Definitely next year. Not sure UA would have run for 350, but they darn sure would not have passed it around like that. And the ACC still sucks.

I is confoosed.
divits888
Bull Gator

Postby NitroGator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:46 am

Sorry divits, what I am driving at was the fact that people in the "Gatornation" (whatever that is) were not sold on the fact that running the ball was the way to win games. Guess I could have said it that way...my fault...
NitroGator
Redshirt Gator

Postby Gator Fever » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:53 am

And have a few big WR's.... :D
" But understand we are not changing who we are philosophically on offense" - Coach Will Muschamp...
Gator Fever
Bull Gator

Postby diehardg8r » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:55 am

I like the punishing game with a dominant offensive line. It demoralizes the defense and beat them down. It gives you the advantage in the turnover ratio by not having to throw the ball all over the field or run trick plays or risky passes. If that is the philosophy then you will lure more great recruits in those areas (OL, and stud RB's) because that's the NFL training ground they all want to have a chance to shine in. The defense will take care of itself as long as you have a high energy guy that plays an aggressive style.
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.” Dante
diehardg8r
Bull Gator

Postby FSOGATOR » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:07 am

We saw the match up in those two contrasting styles with two teams where each had their own style down to a fine science when we played Nebraska for all the marbles in the Fiesta Bowl. I loved SOS's FnG. It was always exciting to watch. But Nebraska ran the ball down our throats and wore our defesne down to a nubbin and absolutely dominated that game. Our offense today needs more balance. What Bama does in "going over the top" after a punishing run game is what we lack today. But we will get there, I'm sure. And as to defesne, I have every confidence that Boom knows exactly what he is doing on that side of the ball.
FSOGATOR
True Gator

Postby GatorTAG » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:21 am

So this guy doesn't really play grown man footbal then?

[YouTube]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RjF93E4LjlA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRjF93E4LjlA[/YouTube]
Last edited by GatorTAG on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Swamp Queen wrote:I miss basketball just so you negative tards couldn't complain as much.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:21 am

First, the Gators team this year can compete with Alabama right now. Second, yes, I think we will get better in certain areas in the future, but it is just not a given that we will just get better and better every year. There is tough competition in the SEC. You are going to lose some games that you will be predicted to win.

An amazing thing to me is how Muschamp has already changed the culture at UF. Our culture has been one of wanting a wide-open passing attack. Field position football, kicking game, run first was the style of Bob Woodruff and Doug Dickey. Ray Graves was brought in to open the game up and he reached his peak with the 69 Super Sophs. Dickey returned us to the age of black and white TV.

Charley Pell was something of a hybrid. Then came Spurrier and the man, the offense, and time lined up. It was the Age of Aquarius. But there was a weak underpinning and Spurrier was exposed on more than one occasion, the most obvious time when the emperor wore no clothes was in Tempe, Arizona when Brandenton, Florida's own Tommy Frazier could not be tackled.

Then Foley and Spurrier had a run in, Spurrier went to D.C, and Foley said he wanted to get a coach who ran an offense that Florida fans liked. He flubbed the dub with Zook who looked good on water skis behind his boat, but who sank in in the quicksand in Starkville. Then Urban came in because Bernie wanted him, and he brought in some great players. The culture changed some with Tebow, but Tebow was an anomaly. Urban tried to run a gimmick offense and he ended up with the wrong players. Some were prima donnas, some were in it for themselves, and some were just called on to do things they couldn't do. I mean who would put Brantley in as an option quarterback.

Muschamp has the right idea for these times.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby jand3k » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:41 am

Great posts by NitroGator and Joe.
jand3k
Head Ball Coach

Postby NitroGator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:20 pm

Muschamp has the right idea for these times

Great post, Joe...agree with you.
NitroGator
Redshirt Gator

Postby NitroGator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:25 pm

GatorTAG wrote:So this guy doesn't really play grown man footbal then?

[YouTube]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RjF93E4LjlA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRjF93E4LjlA[/YouTube]

I saw the link and pasted it...I guess that is the Mike Gundy rant? If so, I love that rant. Even though people made fun of him for it, I repsect and admire how he went to the mat for his player. Was the way he handled it correct? Not sure....but there are a lot of kids who saw that and thought that playing for him may not be so bad.

Richt was trying to entice the same thing yesterday, but the reporter would not take the bait, or vice-versa. Seriously (I despise UGA), but who would really ask that kind of a question after such a hard fought ballgame. Sometimes, I love watching the media get ripped apart by those whom they bash....just my two cents
NitroGator
Redshirt Gator

Postby law98gator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:34 pm

Aaron Murray and Johnny Football were the #2 and #3 QBs in passing yards this year. Both Manziel and Murray threw for 250+ yards vs. Bammers.

The two teams that beat or nearly beat Bammer did so with a running game AND a top passing game.

Okeechobee Joe wrote:First, the Gators team this year can compete with Alabama right now.
Not yet. We only have half the formula.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
Bammer wrote:Isn't government intrusion your flavor du jour, divits?
Isn’t every flavor ever known to man your flavor du jour?
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby law98gator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:38 pm

It wasn't "asking the question after a hard fought ball game" that lit Richt. It's the fact that the question has been asked after every big game and that the two are 1-12 vs. ranked teams.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Coach9 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:03 pm

Throwing away that Georgia game will haunt me for years. Bama was ripe for the picking this year. Their lack of a quality pass rusher really showed this year. In addition their run defense was not nearly what it has been. I think yesterday's game clearly showed we had the best defense in the league even without a top tier pass rusher.
Muschamp building us as a LOS team is clearly the way to go. The only part missing is some sophistication in the pass game. We need the abilty to run some 3 man route combo's where the receivers & QB can read a defense and all be on the same page. A strong running game helps keep coverages a little more vanilla so this shouldn't be out of their grasp.
Coach9
Head Ball Coach

Postby NitroGator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:11 pm

law98gator wrote:It wasn't "asking the question after a hard fought ball game" that lit Richt. It's the fact that the question has been asked after every big game and that the two are 1-12 vs. ranked teams.

I see your point, and I am not disagreeing with you, but do you think that was the best time to ask the question? Of course, despising UGA like I do it is always fun to watch them squirm, but, I have no respect for the media when it comes to stuff like that. There is a time or place for that, and yesterday was neither....just my opinion, of course.....
NitroGator
Redshirt Gator

Postby Coach9 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:22 pm

We got Big Game Bob. It may be time to add a Big Moment Mark & Murray.
Coach9
Head Ball Coach

Postby law98gator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:31 pm

NitroGator wrote:but do you think that was the best time to ask the question? Of course, despising UGA like I do it is always fun to watch them squirm, but, I have no respect for the media when it comes to stuff like that. There is a time or place for that, and yesterday was neither....just my opinion, of course.....

He gets paid 4 million. It's part of the gig. He wouldn't get this scrutiny at Georgia State yet he doesn't step down and take that job. Wonder why?

Military officers get questioned immediately after bad ops. Cops get questioned immediately and investigated when things go badly. The military and cops often still have the blood of their own on their hands at the time. Prosecutors get raked over the coals when they lose a big case, often on the courthouse steps as they walk out. I'm just not that sympathetic with the soft lil boy mentality out of a head ball coach.

Seeing a little more fire out of him after these big-game losses year after year is probably something that the fleabags should demand.
Last edited by law98gator on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

divits888 wrote:
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Homer J » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:49 pm

Coach9 wrote:Throwing away that Georgia game will haunt me for years. Bama was ripe for the picking this year. Their lack of a quality pass rusher really showed this year. In addition their run defense was not nearly what it has been. I think yesterday's game clearly showed we had the best defense in the league even without a top tier pass rusher.
Muschamp building us as a LOS team is clearly the way to go. The only part missing is some sophistication in the pass game. We need the abilty to run some 3 man route combo's where the receivers & QB can read a defense and all be on the same page. A strong running game helps keep coverages a little more vanilla so this shouldn't be out of their grasp.

Bama should lose at least 5 starters on offense (3 O-line) and 5 more on defense next year.
Homer J
Head Ball Coach

Postby divits888 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:57 pm

NitroGator wrote:Sorry divits, what I am driving at was the fact that people in the "Gatornation" (whatever that is) were not sold on the fact that running the ball was the way to win games. Guess I could have said it that way...my fault...

I know. And I agree with you. Just being a wise ass.
divits888
Bull Gator

Postby bayou gator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:03 pm

Those of you who say we aren't ready to compete with bama... I could not disagree with you more. We should've been there playing in that game, but we gave away the opportunity to the mutts. I am not that impressed with uga, and this year's bama team wasn't as complete as they were in the last few years. There's no doubt in my mind that if we had played bama last night with the same discipline and desire that we showed against LSU and FSU, we would've whipped their asses up and down the field.
P.S. - Don't feed the trolls!
bayou gator
Head Ball Coach

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum