Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alagator, arkygator, Gator Fever, Google Adsense [Bot], Leroy Jenkins and 61 guests

Saban is a genius

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Saban is a genius

Postby jagator0 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:31 am

Who was saying "what the hell is he doing going for two this early?" I know I was. But if he would have kicked the extra point to make it 21-17, which EVERY other coach in football does in that spot, UGA would have only been down three at the end and could have opted to kick a FG and send it to overtime.

I thought throwing the ball deep with over 3:00 to go was a dumb call too, a la 2008 when he did us a huge favor by going deep when he could have run the ball right down our throats and killed the rest of the clock. But it turned out to be the winning score. He has the Midas Touch.
jagator0
Heisman Gator

Re: Saban is a genius

Postby NVGator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:49 am

I too questioned the call of going for 2 so early.

I also questioned how the hell they ran it in so easily on a 2 pt. conversion.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby UGator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:00 am

I'm sure many coaches/teams would like to emulate him and his coaching philosophies, but there is only one Saban.

Although GA gave him a good game, he just finds ways to win the old fashioned way--pound the ball and wear down an opponent, then throw deep.

The Bear did it this way too and it seems this style of play is still very effective and ageless.

Muschamp is a another example of coaching a physical style and dominating an opponent into fatigue and then victory.
UGator
Freshman Gator

Postby NVGator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:28 am

Yup. Seems to be the exact philosophy of Muschamp. A good roadmap to win.

Bama's 350 Rushing Yrds. vs. UGA's 113 yds.

Could we have stopped Lacy or Yeldon?
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby gatorJ » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:31 am

Yeah. There's no way in hell that Bama rushes for 350 against us. Embarrassing.
oxrageous wrote:Well you're sure in for a surprise. Peasant.
gatorJ
Head Ball Coach

Postby TommyGator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:57 am

I certainly won't call him a genius. At the point when he went for 2, Bama was absolutely shredding UGAs run defense. Based on their run dominance, I thought the call was low risk...obviously so did Shorty.

Wait! does that make ME a .... :lol:
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser
TommyGator
Heisman Gator

Postby gatorpe » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:25 am

Genius? Letting two five star RBs run behind 3 or 4 future NFL lineman? Common sense.
Joakim Noah:
Sometimes, it feels good to be the bad guy
gatorpe
Heisman Gator

Postby UF86 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:44 am

jagator0 wrote:Who was saying "what the hell is he doing going for two this early?" I know I was. But if he would have kicked the extra point to make it 21-17, which EVERY other coach in football does in that spot, UGA would have only been down three at the end and could have opted to kick a FG and send it to overtime.

I thought throwing the ball deep with over 3:00 to go was a dumb call too, a la 2008 when he did us a huge favor by going deep when he could have run the ball right down our throats and killed the rest of the clock. But it turned out to be the winning score. He has the Midas Touch.

He's a genius because it worked.

Not sure you'd call his clock management at the end of the first half the product of a coaching genius.
UF86
Freshman Gator

Postby NoVa Gator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:47 am

Saban is Satan. He cuts his own players to make room for better prospects.
NoVa Gator
Heisman Gator

Postby gatormark » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:12 am

As a coach he is great. As a man of his word he is a piss ant little weasel. I loved when Jim ( mad dog) Mandich said on the air after Saban crawled and snuck out of Miami the way he did. No matter where we are Nick, if I see you boy,its on,right then and there I will be all over your butt.
gatormark
Senior Gator

Postby RichardN » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:36 am

gatormark wrote:As a coach he is great. As a man of his word he is a piss ant little weasel. I loved when Jim ( mad dog) Mandich said on the air after Saban crawled and snuck out of Miami the way he did. No matter where we are Nick, if I see you boy,its on,right then and there I will be all over your butt.

Well Saban will be there in Jan.
RichardN
Heisman Gator

Postby Red D » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:47 am

I'm not going to call him a genius, I'm going to save that for coaches like Spurrier who changed the way football is played in the SEC.

What Saban is, is a master administrator who makes sure his team runs like a well oiled machine. He has a plan "the process," as its called and everyone associated with that team is 100% on-board with his vision.

He's Bama's wettest dream because the man eats, sleeps and craps football. Doesn't seem to give a frack about anything but what its going to take win the next game. Unlike Meyer, he has taken ownership of the stress that it takes the be successful year after year. No pussyfoot waffling about family, faith, spending time with the kids, etc. It's all football, all the time.

Makes him an awful human being, but a dominant coach.
Red D
Senior Gator

Postby TN G8tr » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:18 am

I'll stop short of calling him a Genius, but.... The man ain't Richt, ah, I mean stupid.
"Wake her *** up, we got a game to play."
TN G8tr
Bull Gator

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:59 am

Every coach looks like a genius when the play is executed. If the play is stopped then he is dumber than dirt.

Coaching is very important, super important. But we sometimes talk and say Saban beat Richt and so on, but it was Saban and the Alabama players who beat Richt and the Georgia players.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby law98gator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:52 pm

NVGator wrote:Bama's 350 Rushing Yrds. vs. UGA's 113 yds.

aTm did beat Bammer and ugly nearly did by throwing for over 250 against them. Balance is the key to beating them. You can't run into the strength of Bammer's defense. You beat them by attacking their weak secondaries.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby WestSideGata » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:59 pm

Somewhere on the broadcast they talked about how all the spread offenses would not get it done, that the pro-style would always win overall. The reality is Saban is an unbelievable coach, person, not so much. But the dude gets it done. If there is one person that can beat him, I gotta believe it is Champ.
WestSideGata
True Gator

Postby Coach9 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:14 pm

Was clearly confident running the ball against that baby ass soft dawg defense. I remember a key 3rd and 6 around midfield that they ran off RT for a big 1st down also. It comes down to his pre game prep showing the Jordan against the pistons clip. Know what's coming and still can't stop it.
Actually pretty good percentage plays the way the game was going.
Coach9
Head Ball Coach

Postby GulfG8r » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:56 pm

Coach9 wrote:Was clearly confident running the ball against that baby ass soft dawg defense. I remember a key 3rd and 6 around midfield that they ran off RT for a big 1st down also. It comes down to his pre game prep showing the Jordan against the pistons clip. Know what's coming and still can't stop it.

Actually the Pistons contained Jordan rather well. They went to 3 Finals in a row, lost the first in 7, swept to win the 2nd in 4, and won the 3rd in 5. It was only after that 3 year run, in which they had to dispatch the Bulls every time in the semis, that Chicago finally beat Detroit.
GulfG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby Coach9 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:07 pm

GulfG8r wrote:
Coach9 wrote:Was clearly confident running the ball against that baby ass soft dawg defense. I remember a key 3rd and 6 around midfield that they ran off RT for a big 1st down also. It comes down to his pre game prep showing the Jordan against the pistons clip. Know what's coming and still can't stop it.

Actually the Pistons contained Jordan rather well. They went to 3 Finals in a row, lost the first in 7, swept to win the 2nd in 4, and won the 3rd in 5. It was only after that 3 year run, in which they had to dispatch the Bulls every time in the semis, that Chicago finally beat Detroit.

The clip I'm referencing is one of Chuck Daly telling Rodman not to let Jordan go to his right. He always goes to his right, during a timeout. Coming out of timeout, Jordan goes right and buries the winner. Point being, they know what's coming and still can't stop it.
Well aware of Bull's history. Detroit was surpassed when Jackson replaced Collins.
Coach9
Head Ball Coach

Postby GulfG8r » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:58 pm

Coach9 wrote:
GulfG8r wrote:

The clip I'm referencing is one of Chuck Daly telling Rodman not to let Jordan go to his right. He always goes to his right, during a timeout. Coming out of timeout, Jordan goes right and buries the winner. Point being, they know what's coming and still can't stop it.
Well aware of Bull's history. Detroit was surpassed when Jackson replaced Collins.

Incorrect again. Phil Jackson was the Bulls coach at the time the Pistons went to their 3 Finals in a row, beating the Bulls on their way each time.

Yes Chicago finally beat Detroit in 1991, and that essentially marked the end of the Bad Boys reign.

Not long after that, the entire NBA went to ****. I haven't watched a game in many years, and it's unlikely that I ever will again.
GulfG8r
Heisman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum