Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Hoosier Gator, MSNbot Media and 38 guests

Charley Pell Shows How To Say No When You're Saying Yes

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Charley Pell Shows How To Say No When You're Saying Yes

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:50 pm

This is the time of year when there is a lot of speculation about who is going to be coaching where next year. Coaches are caught in a situation where they are talking to other schools about leaving their present school, but they haven't been hired yet at the new school, or the contract hasn't been finalized. So they have to tell the press one story, their present school one story, and the offering school another story. Then when things pan out everybody calls the coach a liar when they were just trying to hold the line on one front while paying attention to another one.

These coaches of today can take a primer from a master of playing the press, the one and only Charley Pell. Here is an interesting clip I found that shows Pell telling the press he is going full speed at head at Clemson while he is talking to Florida and about to accept the Florida job. The end of the clip shows Danny Ford accepting the Clemson job. This all happened right before the 1978 Gator Bowl, yep, that Gator Bowl where Woody Hayes punched out the Clemson player. Ford coached the Tigers in the bowl game because Charley had already said he was heading south to Gator Country.

If you ever heard the voice of Bear Bryant, you are hearing the nearest thing to it when you hear Coach Pell who played for the Bear on his first National Championship team Bear won at Alabama, the 1961 Crimson Tide, one of the greatest teams in the history of college football
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Re: Charley Pell Shows How To Say No When You're Saying Yes

Postby Class of '78 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:18 am

Right guy, wrong place.

I have no doubt that had he lasted a decade, Pell would have built Florida into a national powerhouse. As it were, his influence led to unprecedented amounts of wealth being poured into the UAA and a dramatic upgrade of facilities.

Had he gone to Alabama or Auburn, Pell would have probably lasted a decade in spite of the cheating. Not in Florida. Too many metropolitan areas with aggressive young sports staffs itching to break stories, which is essentially how he got busted.

One of them, the St. Petersburg Times, took him down.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:20 am

Class of '78 wrote:Right guy, wrong place.

I have no doubt that had he lasted a decade, Pell would have built Florida into a national powerhouse. As it were, his influence led to unprecedented amounts of wealth being poured into the UAA and a dramatic upgrade of facilities.

Had he gone to Alabama or Auburn, Pell would have probably lasted a decade in spite of the cheating. Not in Florida. Too many metropolitan areas with aggressive young sports staffs itching to break stories, which is essentially how he got busted.

Give us the whistle blower's name and we'll break his kneecaps. 84 clubs to the right knee, 85 to the left.
:burp:
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:23 am

Sasquatch Gator wrote:

Give us the whistle blower's name and we'll break his kneecaps. 84 clubs to the right knee, 85 to the left.

I'd have to kill you if I told you.

Just sent you a PM. ;)
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:40 am

You are right. The press in the state of Florida is a different animal than in other SEC states. As you say there are more metropolitan areas with more big newspapers. There is more independence in Florida papers. The writers are not as likely to be alumni of the state schools.

We have discussed Jack Hairston, the long-time editor of the Gainesville Sun, and yes, Jack was loved, but he was a homer, couldn't believe, or did not want to believe that Pell was doing all the stuff the St. Pete Times said he was doing. The press in some of these other SEC states is more like Jack Hairston, more supporters of the in-state program, less likely to be investigative. Reporters like Mr. Hairston saw themselves as more of a team player, as part of the Gators, the reporter of the Gators. Now as the South as a whole grows more populous cosmopolitan and more like the rest of the country they may be changing, but there is still a strong vestige of that homerism I would suspect.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby law98gator » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:07 am

Yeah, I've notice that all the papers in Alabama are all over the stories about multiple Bammer stars having fleets of high end vehicles.

All over it.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby mtn2top » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:19 am

The game has become much more sophisticated today and coaching contracts have reached obscene levels of compensation. Few coaches will handle the transition to another school better than Coach Pell.

Seeing that clip reminded me of the whirlwind of activity that happened in the months after in Gainesville, resulting in the foundation of success at Florida that we still enjoy today. Everyone had such sky high expectations that Charlie would be Florida's 'Bear."
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby Neptune Beach Gator » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:33 am

law98gator wrote:Yeah, I've notice that all the papers in Alabama are all over the stories about multiple Bammer stars having fleets of high end vehicles.

All over it.

Yeah, I still remember a comment from a Bammer fan soon after Saban was hired, and he was getting dissed over the way he left the Miami Dolphins. It ran along the lines of "I don't care if he eats babies, as long as he wins."
Neptune Beach Gator
Baby Gator

Postby El Lagarto » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:26 pm

Good post....some of my favorite Gator memories are of Charlie Pell games......living in Alabama, I believe the major papers have good, investigative journalist. This was true in the Gene Jelks U of Ala investigation and in the Pat Dye Auburn scandalous era.
El Lagarto
Baby Gator

Postby Maillot Jaune » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:30 pm

RIP Charley. He really did lay the foundation....and got the $ going. Love that voice. He was always a Gator after this. I remember running into him at the Sugar Bowl when we played ND. He was as nervous as if he were still coaching...still loved the program.
Maillot Jaune
Heisman Gator

Return to Gatorsports Forum