Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Clawhammergator, GatorJB, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Gouryella, Jabberdave, JimtheGator, MSNbot Media, ReelGatorDoc, Swamp Queen, WobbleGator and 60 guests

How Much Longer Can We Hold On To Quinn?

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

How Much Longer Can We Hold On To Quinn?

Postby StreetFightingGator » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:09 pm

If UK was able to pluck Stoops from SOW after only 3 seasons there, I have to wonder if this time next year someone might be trying to pluck Quinn away from us. His ability speaks for itself and I think he is very likely the best DC in the SEC right now--including Smart.

If we win the SEC next year he will be a prime candidate for more than a couple HBC jobs. If I'm Muschamp, I would definitely give him a pay bump this offseason to reward him. Granted, money can't fend off suitors forever but I think we need to do everything we can do to keep him here as long as possible.
StreetFightingGator
Heisman Gator

Re: How Much Longer Can We Hold On To Quinn?

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:16 pm

I think a large part of that answer depends on whether he's happy being a coordinator or if he wants to be a head coach somewhere.
:burp:
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby fivefiveninegator » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:21 pm

I read somewhere that he loves working for Will and developing young kids. If that means he can be lured away for a HC position. Who knows. I say enjoy him while he got him
fivefiveninegator
Baby Gator

Postby Panhandle Gator » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:37 pm

I hope he stays, but would wish him well.

Muschamp has his firm stamp on the defensive side of the ball regardless of who the DC is, and UF is attractive enough job to attract a very good replacement.
Panhandle Gator
Freshman Gator

Postby The RH Factor » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:43 pm

Quinn and Pease need to make a pact to stay until we win a national championship.

Then, they are free to leave for a better position.
The RH Factor
Head Ball Coach

Postby ReelGatorDoc » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:55 pm

You know, it's hard to argue with an OC or DC getting offered a HC job somewhere. The difference in $$$$ is huge. Even if you only last 2-3 yrs...at a couple $M / year, you can work through the agony of defeat.

I can't blame them.
It's Great to be a Florida GATOR!
ReelGatorDoc
Head Ball Coach

Postby gatorhar » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:58 pm

Just tell him to ask any of us or go right down the hallway and ask Will cause we all made the same mistake.

"Never Leave Gainesville."
gatorhar
Heisman Gator

Postby TommyGator » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:42 pm

gatorhar wrote:Just tell him to ask any of us or go right down the hallway and ask Will cause we all made the same mistake.

GREAT advice! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser
TommyGator
Heisman Gator

Postby WhoGator » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:30 pm

Panhandle Gator wrote:I hope he stays, but would wish him well.

Muschamp has his firm stamp on the defensive side of the ball regardless of who the DC is, and UF is attractive enough job to attract a very good replacement.

+1
Doing a great job, but replaceable. I worry as much about WM's DC as I would SOS's OC... If they have one it's a token

:chomp:
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby Homer J » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:37 pm

WhoGator wrote:

+1
Doing a great job, but replaceable. I worry as much about WM's DC as I would SOS's OC... If they have one it's a token

This. Same with Satan and Kirby Smart. I like Quinn as D-Cord but if he leaves, Champ will throw someone else in there and the terminology won't change. As bad as this sounds, I was scared that KY would look at Pease. I hope that Pease stays for a few more years.
Homer J
Head Ball Coach

Postby WhoGator » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:15 pm

Homer J wrote:
WhoGator wrote:

+1

This. Same with Satan and Kirby Smart. I like Quinn as D-Cord but if he leaves, Champ will throw someone else in there and the terminology won't change. As bad as this sounds, I was scared that KY would look at Pease. I hope that Pease stays for a few more years.

yep... offensive leadership is where we have to get some consistency.
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby murdamal86 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:20 pm

I don't know how long we'll have him, but he'll be gone. UF is a stepping stone job for coordinators.
murdamal86
Senior Gator

Postby WhoGator » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:27 pm

murdamal86 wrote:I don't know how long we'll have him, but he'll be gone. UF is a stepping stone job for coordinators.

Look what we did for Charlie Cheeseburger... 1 year as a college OC and landed an outstanding job at 1-10 Kansas
:bananayay: :bananayay: :bananabye: :bananayay: :bananayay:

WhoGator
True Gator

Postby Gator Fever » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:35 pm

Quinn is gone after next year to either a HC position in college or as a DC in the NFL.
" But understand we are not changing who we are philosophically on offense" - Coach Will Muschamp...
Gator Fever
Bull Gator

Postby BMF » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:00 pm

Quinn has only coached D1 football for 2 years...all at UF. He was in the NFL from 2001-2010 seasons. I'd say he's more likely to go back to the NFL than get an D1 head coaching position. He needs more experience at how to run a college program than 2 years. He's done a great job, in the 2 years he's been here....but he needs more experience to become a head coach. There's a lot that goes into running a D1 football program. He coached at VMI, Hofstra, and William & Mary.

Pease, on the other hand, has a better shot and has openly admitted so....and has plenty of D1 experience at several D1 programs.

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby Gator-DNA » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:50 pm

After 3 championships of any fashion (SEC, NC), he can pursue other venues/interests. It's in his contract.
Gator-DNA
Senior Gator

Postby Panhandle Gator » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:05 am

I think I'd be more bummed if we lost DJ Durkin.

Great recruiter and incredible sideline energy.
Panhandle Gator
Freshman Gator

Postby diehardg8r » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:25 am

Make him a coach in waiting. Oh wait......never mind.
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.” Dante
diehardg8r
Bull Gator

Postby SavannahGator » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:27 am

gatorhar wrote:Just tell him to ask any of us or go right down the hallway and ask Will cause we all made the same mistake.

Ain't that the truth!!
"A life is not important - except in the impact it has on other lives" . . . Jackie Robinson
SavannahGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby kwhunterufl » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:33 am

Didn't Quinn turn down the DC job at Tampa Bay last year? I think that shows where this guy's heart is at. Hopefully, he's enjoying Gainesville and UF.

I know if I were an AD looking to hire someone as my head coach, I would want someone who had more college experience than two years as DC. Another year or two getting the feel for college vs pros and I think we'll see Quinn as an HC somewhere.
--------------------------------------------------------
The only 'fall colors' I need are orange and blue!
kwhunterufl
Senior Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum