Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BoomTown, Gator Fever, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Gouryella, Jabberdave, Maillot Jaune, MSNbot Media, Naples Gator, Sasquatch Gator, WobbleGator and 99 guests

You Have to Love Spurrier....

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

You Have to Love Spurrier....

Postby ncargat1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:43 am

So, fresh off beating in-state rival Clemson, fresh off becoming the winningest coach of all time at S Carolina, and fresh off completing the only back-to-back 10 win seasons in S Carolina history......Spurrier calls Dooley on Sunday to rib Dooley about picking Clemson and FSU. Amazing he still keeps up with what the Gainesville Sun reporter are writing, and he is still willing to discuss.....Gator Football!!

I know some of you folks have no idea how important to Gator Football that Spurrier is and many people still hold a grudge that he left for the NFL and then took another SEC job. And yes, once per season, he is GatorBait. But he is still an Alum and still a Gator at heart.

This is from Dooley's Back 9:

14. I received a call from Steve Spurrier on Sunday. He wanted to give me some grief about picking Clemson and Florida State. I deserve it. As Bill Murray's character says in “Scrooged” — “I was wrong about everything.” Spurrier and Muschamp shared one thing last week — neither one of them thought much of ACC defenses. Spurrier also said of Florida's 11-1 season, “It's like 2001. We didn't win any championships and ended up second in the country.”
Last edited by ncargat1 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
- Thomas Paine
ncargat1
Head Ball Coach

Re: You Have to Love Spurrier....

Postby GulfG8r » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:02 am

I couldn't agree more with you
GulfG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby Gatorbythebay » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:17 am

I don't have to, I choose to :cool:
Gatorbythebay
Head Ball Coach

Postby ReelGatorDoc » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:22 am

I was thinking that Spurrier called Muschamp and gave him a "high five" for that comment before half about FSU being the #1 defense in the country.

That was a very Spurrierish comment...love it

mainly because its true
It's Great to be a Florida GATOR!
ReelGatorDoc
Head Ball Coach

Postby Class of '78 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:34 am

Must have been a Freudian slip that caused Spurrier to say we finished second in the nation in 2001. :lol:
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby IDGAC » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:49 am

Wow, he calls a no-name local sports beat writer to rib him about his pick?!

THE OL' BALL COACH STILL HAS IT!!!

:yawn:
IDGAC
Heisman Gator

Postby Gulfstream » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:50 am

ReelGatorDoc wrote:I was thinking that Spurrier called Muschamp and gave him a "high five" for that comment before half about FSU being the #1 defense in the country.

mainly because its true

Could'nt agree more. :D
Hey, you want something done right, don't ask me.
Gulfstream
All-American Gator

Postby GatorGrad74 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:52 am

GulfG8r wrote:I couldn't agree more with you

+100
"A Florida Man needs no introduction."
GatorGrad74
Senior Gator

Postby Swamp82 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:03 am

Lol, love it.
If you would like to keep your coach you can
Swamp82
Head Ball Coach

Postby gatordad » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:06 am

WM is picking up some Spurrierisms himself with his comment to Saban about the SEC game this weekend. Priceless and just a little twist of the knife. Typical SOS deal and WM will hone his skill at it over time. You just know he and SOS talk to each other. SOS loves that kind of stuff and only blasts coaches that are hard- a$$e$.
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans-John Lennon
gatordad
Heisman Gator

Postby bullag8r » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:12 am

Class of '78 wrote:Must have been a Freudian slip that caused Spurrier to say we finished second in the nation in 2001. :lol:

SOS coached the team that year, so the "we" is accurate, both as coach and as an alumni.

Also, Spurrier was to Dooley as Ali was to Cosell.

Carry on
bullag8r
All-American Gator

Postby LBSpikes » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:30 am

ReelGatorDoc wrote:I was thinking that Spurrier called Muschamp and gave him a "high five" for that comment before half about FSU being the #1 defense in the country.

mainly because its true

What was Champ's quote insulting FSU's defense? :question: I missed that but it sounds great already lol
LBSpikes
Bull Gator

Postby WhoGator » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:35 am

LBSpikes wrote:

mainly because its true

What was Champ's quote insulting FSU's defense? :question: I missed that but it sounds great already lol

One of the tech geniuses will post the clip as he was interviewed leaving the field at halftime, but for now my paraphrase when asked about our success running the football... We knew could run, we've done it against better defenses

:chomp:
WhoGator
True Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:41 am

bullag8r wrote:
Class of '78 wrote:Must have been a Freudian slip that caused Spurrier to say we finished second in the nation in 2001. :lol:

SOS coached the team that year, so the "we" is accurate, both as coach and as an alumni.

Also, Spurrier was to Dooley as Ali was to Cosell.

Carry on

The Freudian reference had to do with Spurrier inaccurately remembering us finishing second in the BCS rankings when it was actually fifth (third in the AP Poll).

Till his dying day, SOS will probably believe in his heart of heats that we could have, and should have, played Miami for the national championship that year.
Last edited by Class of '78 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby LBSpikes » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:42 am

WhoGator wrote:
LBSpikes wrote:

mainly because its true

One of the tech geniuses will post the clip as he was interviewed leaving the field at halftime, but for now my paraphrase when asked about our success running the football... We knew could run, we've done it against better defenses

:lol: :lol: Brilliant! I love it! LSU is a prime example.
LBSpikes
Bull Gator

Postby Gatorious » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:29 pm

Yes, WM is getting SOSlike in his latest replies/reactions/statements.

Love it. SOS is the Gators' Gator, imo. Always will be king Gator.
And speaking of heart of hearts, I believe he regrets ever leaving. That's speculation and I speak of divining his thoughts only in his own retrospect. If he knew how it all would turn out, he would have never left.
grip
a. Intellectual hold; understanding: a good grip on French history.
b. Ability to function properly or well; competence: getting a grip on the new technique.
c. Mental or emotional composure: lost his grip after he was fired.
Gatorious
All-American Gator

Postby jagator0 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:47 pm

Gatorious wrote:Yes, WM is getting SOSlike in his latest replies/reactions/statements.

And speaking of heart of hearts, I believe he regrets ever leaving. That's speculation and I speak of divining his thoughts only in his own retrospect. If he knew how it all would turn out, he would have never left.

I don't know about that. I think it worked out pretty well for him. He has two schools in the SEC where he is the king. One day they may change the name of Florida Field to Steve Spurrier Field and if they don't they might do it at Williams-Brice.
jagator0
Heisman Gator

Postby Gatorious » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:54 pm

jagator0 wrote:
Gatorious wrote:Yes, WM is getting SOSlike in his latest replies/reactions/statements.

I don't know about that. I think it worked out pretty well for him. He has two schools in the SEC where he is the king. One day they may change the name of Florida Field to Steve Spurrier Field and if they don't they might do it at Williams-Brice.

Well, "I don't know about that" either. Never claimed to, so that is moot.
"One day" I may grow wings and fly too. The 'Swamp' got its name from who? Yeah, anyway, sure SC may honor the man in some way. Most likely they will. Statues and plaques of SOS at UF aren't enough? This is not even remotely relevant anyway. You are in the weeds with that. What we are talking about is being (still), and coaching, for the Gators. And yet, I would never ever expect SOS to admit it in public, but after he made overtures to want to come back, one needn't read between too many lines. I'd never expect him to admit it. Thats not in his nature. Call it a character flaw, whatever. He'd never admit it though even if he felt that way. He'd PO SC too. Why do that now? No, this one, if ever told, is something for the memoirs book -if he ever admits it.
Last edited by Gatorious on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grip
a. Intellectual hold; understanding: a good grip on French history.
b. Ability to function properly or well; competence: getting a grip on the new technique.
c. Mental or emotional composure: lost his grip after he was fired.
Gatorious
All-American Gator

Postby NavetG8r » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:09 pm

Gatorbythebay wrote:I don't have to, I choose to :cool:

^^This!! The Old Ball Coach will always be a Gator, except once a year when he's Gator bait!
DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
NavetG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby go2gator » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:59 pm

He will always be a King here in Gainesville! As for the other guy that gave us 2 NC's and quit on his team, He is dead to me! I wish him no harm, but I don't care if I ever even hear his name again much less see him in Gainesville.
go2gator
Redshirt Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum