Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gatorgabe7, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], lumagator, t-gator, vulcan_alex, Yahoo [Bot] and 86 guests

UNC and Conf Realignment

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

UNC and Conf Realignment

Postby BoomTown » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:17 pm

North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham sent an email reply to Tar Heels fans in an attempt to calm a flurry of rumors that had UNC possibly headed to another conference.

"Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding conference affiliation for the University of North Carolina," Cunningham wrote. "Conference alignment is a topic of much discussion nationally these days and we understand that our fans are passionate and knowledgeable of their sports programs.

"Carolina is a charter member of the Atlantic Coast Conference and we believe the ACC is the finest conference in the nation. The ACC has been our home for nearly 60 years and we want it to be our home for another 60 years at least. Our speculating on what other league may be better for the Tar Heels would not be productive. We are part of a great league with a strong future and we know that the ACC leadership is serious in its efforts to strengthen the conference and position it for long-term success.

"All of us in the ACC, including the league office and individual schools, continue to carefully monitor the changes that take place in conference alignment. But again, we are proud members of a great league and are looking forward to many more years of success in the ACC by the Tar Heels and other ACC schools."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8683443/north-carolina-athletic-director-email-responds-realignment-rumors

The thing that sticks out most to me is that he didn't say they will stay, they aren't going anywhere, etc. Saying "we want it to be our home" and that they "continue to carefully monitor the changes that take place in conference alignment" isn't quite the same thing. I for one hope they are talking to Mr. Slive.
BoomTown
Heisman Gator

Re: UNC and Conf Realignment

Postby gardnerwebbalumnigator » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:34 pm

Dook and the Tar Holes aren't going anywhere.
"Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
gardnerwebbalumnigator
Head Ball Coach

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:21 pm

I would be shocked if Carolina jumped to a different conference. NCSU on the other hand? Not so much. They'd love to get out of Duke and Carolina's shadows. VT making the jump to the SEC wouldn't surprise me, either, as they already played UVA as an OOC rival prior to joining the ACC.
:burp:
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:27 am

There is about as much chance of North Carolina going to the SEC as Barack Obama waking up in the morning and saying he is joining the Republican Party.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby NVGator » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:10 am

Sasquatch Gator wrote:I would be shocked if Carolina jumped to a different conference. NCSU on the other hand? Not so much. They'd love to get out of Duke and Carolina's shadows. VT making the jump to the SEC wouldn't surprise me, either, as they already played UVA as an OOC rival prior to joining the ACC.

:yes:

I'd be happy with both NCSU and VT. However, the does seem like a consolidated TV market. We know it's all about TE money as well.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby NVGator » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:12 am

Just hearing ACC will announce tomorrow that Louisville will be added.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby BMF » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:32 am

I doubt UNC and the other "tobacco road" schools leave. However, the only schools I'd like to see from the ACC are Va Tech and UNC. Va Tech is a "real" football school (great/rabid fans, good tradition, adds a huge tv market, etc). UNC because of basketball and opening a new market for the conference.

I was really surprised to see Maryland leave, btw. I figured the original 8 from the "old" ACC (Duke, NCST, UNC, UVA, Ga Tech, Clemson, Maryland, Wake) would all stick together....and the very least: UVA, UNC, WF, Duke, NCST all stay together. But these days, who knows??

Okeechobee Joe wrote:There is about as much chance of North Carolina going to the SEC as Barack Obama waking up in the morning and saying he is joining the Republican Party.

LOL!
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby law98gator » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:36 am

I always think of Ga Tech as "old SEC".
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Mr. Eko » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:41 am

I still believe UNC is the top target along with Va. Tech. They can still play Duke, NCState, in Basketball. NCState in football. However, only UF and Vandy fit academically.

Look, FSU is gonna have to go outwest with Texas and OK. Va tech WILL come into the SEC sooner or later. The ACC is going to take the leftovers and pair them with who they want from the Big East and that will be the ACC.

Big 12 will court FSU soon to continue to stabalize their conference and get the money from a Championship game. FSU and who? to the Big 12...now 10... but not the Big10 :eek: :rolleyes:
Mr. Eko
True Gator

Postby tillsb » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:42 am

I would love to add Ga Tech, mainly because I know how much it would piss off bulldog fans
tillsb
Heisman Gator

Postby law98gator » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:54 am

Mr. Eko wrote:Big 12 will court FSU soon to continue to stabalize their conference and get the money from a Championship game.

I dunno. Texass loses championship games therefore Texass doesn't want championship games and the big 12 does what Texass says.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Return to Gatorsports Forum