Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Gouryella, Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, rogdochar, tillsb and 45 guests

Should SEC cancel Championship Game?

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Should SEC cancel Championship Game?

Postby WhoGator » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:15 pm

Beginning in 2014, the SECCG will probably cost the conference a spot in the 4-team playoff more often than not. The playoffs this year would be #1 ND vs. #4 UF and #2 Bama vs #3 GA, if seeded now, putting one or two SEC teams in NCG. The SECCG this weekend would have allowed Oregon to play for title and eliminated an SEC team. SEC winner would then play UF in the semifinals, and possibly negate the SEC champs bragging rights anyway.
Was LSU the best team in the SEC last year? How hollow is their SEC Championship?

It would be like the rest of the NCAA is in a 4-team playoff, while the SEC has to play a quarterfinal game to get to the semis. Is that worth it financially for the SEC in the long run?

Just a thought...

:chomp:
WhoGator
True Gator

Re: Should SEC cancel Championship Game?

Postby diehardg8r » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:22 pm

The conference championship in the SEC means something, so yes, we need to keep it in place. Go online and see how much an SEC champ ring is on Ebay.
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.” Dante
diehardg8r
Bull Gator

Postby wfoster314 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:23 pm

Another reason why we need an 8 team playoff. A 4 team playoff will leave out some very good teams. If we had a playoff this year, I'd definitely like to see Oregon and Stanford in it.
To Be...
wfoster314
Senior Gator

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:24 pm

$$$$$$$$$$
:burp:
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby Zambo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:25 pm

LMAO, so the problem here is that the SECCG is preventing 3 SEC teams from being in the 4 team playoff? WAFJ.
GET A GRIP!
Zambo
Bull Gator

Postby Gatorbythebay » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:27 pm

No
Gatorbythebay
Head Ball Coach

Postby MatthewM. » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Every year the Gators are not in it yes.
PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby GatorTAG » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Actually the only reason we have 3 teams in the top 4 right now is because of the BCS computers. We are #5 in the human polls. Will the BCS system of ranking still be used when the playoff starts? If not, the voters will determine who plays in the 4 team playoff and they will make sure it is not all SEC.
Swamp Queen wrote:I miss basketball just so you negative tards couldn't complain as much.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby Gatorbythebay » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:35 pm

Ohio St doesn't count, they would take UF still
Gatorbythebay
Head Ball Coach

Postby Slevin » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:37 pm

GatorTAG wrote:Actually the only reason we have 3 teams in the top 4 right now is because of the BCS computers. We are #5 in the human polls. Will the BCS system of ranking still be used when the playoff starts? If not, the voters will determine who plays in the 4 team playoff and they will make sure it is not all SEC.

They are hiring a panel to vote so even if you are in top 4 i'm pretty sure if you suck and aren't flashy there could still be a chance you get voted out if a team like Oregon is behind you. Makes no sense why they have to go the route of getting a board of voters when all you have to do is use the top 4 of the BCS.
soflagator wrote:
law98gator wrote:Im not sure what the deal is with Nickelback.

You already admitted in another thread you were related to the lead singer of Nickelback. :lol:
Slevin

Postby MatthewM. » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:42 pm

Simply so they can manipulate the results
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby mtn2top » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:45 pm

There's some logic in this thinking.

At the time of it's creation, the SEC Championship game was intended to make a lot of money for the conference and ensure that at least one of our teams would be considered in final season polls as the best of the best.

A lot has changed since. If we stay with a playoff system and add more teams in the future, we shouldn't decimate the SEC field any more than what will occur in the regular season. A perennial SEC contender like Florida has a better chance of getting into the end of season (big money) bowl games without an SEC Championship.

The current situation with Alabama and Georgia both missing the Sugar Bowl is a great example of how the SEC-CG may not be in the best interest of the conference in anything except getting more TV money.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby MatthewM. » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:54 pm

Solution: 8 team playoff by which the East and West SEC winners are guaranteed a spot in the bracket regardless of SECCG results, and the conference has the opportunity for 1-2 additional at large teams.
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Postby ReelGatorDoc » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:04 pm

ND doesn't need a championship game to get to the NC
It's Great to be a Florida GATOR!
ReelGatorDoc
Head Ball Coach

Postby GatorTAG » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:21 pm

Slevin wrote:
GatorTAG wrote:Actually the only reason we have 3 teams in the top 4 right now is because of the BCS computers. We are #5 in the human polls. Will the BCS system of ranking still be used when the playoff starts? If not, the voters will determine who plays in the 4 team playoff and they will make sure it is not all SEC.

They are hiring a panel to vote so even if you are in top 4 i'm pretty sure if you suck and aren't flashy there could still be a chance you get voted out if a team like Oregon is behind you. Makes no sense why they have to go the route of getting a board of voters when all you have to do is use the top 4 of the BCS.

I'm sure this "panel" will be made up of unbiased ND and OSU alumni. :lol:
Swamp Queen wrote:I miss basketball just so you negative tards couldn't complain as much.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby WhoGator » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:10 pm

MatthewM. wrote:Solution: 8 team playoff by which the East and West SEC winners are guaranteed a spot in the bracket regardless of SECCG results, and the conference has the opportunity for 1-2 additional at large teams.

I like it. Treat the SEC as two separate conferences.. I can hear the b**ching now

WhoGator
True Gator

Postby Slevin » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:11 pm

No. Going to Atlanta is a dream for coaches and kids. If anything we might have to break it down to 4 divisions.
soflagator wrote:
law98gator wrote:Im not sure what the deal is with Nickelback.

You already admitted in another thread you were related to the lead singer of Nickelback. :lol:
Slevin

Postby Zambo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:14 pm

Yes, lets do like pretty much all of America these days and lower our standards so we can have a better shot at phony glory.

I am so sick of the argument that such and such team could win the championship if only their road to get there was easier.

The BCS graveyard is jam packed with loser teams that had an easy road to the championship game.
GET A GRIP!
Zambo
Bull Gator

Postby Gatorious » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:31 pm

About the kindest reaction to such a topic is that every stupid thought need not be revealed and posted.

As SOS once said, 'our first goal is to win the SEC Championship'.

Damn, if you need a reason why we have one and why it is important, I'm not the one to go through all the basic, time wasting, 'education' or explanation.
grip
a. Intellectual hold; understanding: a good grip on French history.
b. Ability to function properly or well; competence: getting a grip on the new technique.
c. Mental or emotional composure: lost his grip after he was fired.
Gatorious
All-American Gator

Postby NavetG8r » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:37 pm

ReelGatorDoc wrote:ND doesn't need a championship game to get to the NC

Not only that, but you won't often see an 11-2 ACC or Pac12 champ in the NCG either without the playoff system of some kind. So it goes both ways. Look, don't be like Evil Nicky and complain about getting screwed out of a chance at the NC if you lose the SECCG. If you lose the SECCG, you blew your chance to prove you are the best of the best. Most times a one loss SEC champ will go to the NCG over any other one loss team simply by virtue of the SEC's strength of schedule. Being SEC Champion means something. Being the loser of the SEC championship game, means you aren't the best of the best. It's as simple as that. The SEC should keep the championship game until the playoff system opens up to more than 4 teams.

Who on this board honestly thinks UGA is better than UF this year? Does anyone really think UGA deserves to play in a 4 game playoff over UF if UGA loses the SECCG? How about Bama? Anyone think they deserve in a 4 game playoff if they lose to UGA in the SECCG? 99% of the time, these things work themselves out when all is said and done. Don't throw away a great tradition because you're afraid of losing that game and no longer being eligible for NC. Just win, and prove you're the best there is!
DCflorida wrote:"Oh that's right, I had totally forgotten that we were 4-8 and Muschamp sucks. Thanks for the reminder, I will go back to being miserable and angry now."
NavetG8r
Heisman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum