Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gator Fever, gatordad3, Google Adsense [Bot], Jabberdave, Maillot Jaune, MSNbot Media, Naples Gator, Sasquatch Gator, WobbleGator, Yahoo [Bot] and 88 guests

CBS Sports evaluates open SEC coaching positions

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

CBS Sports evaluates open SEC coaching positions

Postby G8RNGA » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:16 pm

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/college-football-rapidreports/21140491/sec-evaluating-the-job-openings-arkansas-auburn-kentucky-tennessee

I'm not surprised to see Petrino or Strong mentioned for several of these positions, but what was surprising was to see Jimbo Fisher on the list for ANY of the SEC open coaching positions! Really?!

I'd love to see Charlie Strong coaching in the SEC. The opportunity may be available, but I wonder if he's interested. Petersen probably won't jump to the SEC and Gruden will have many opportunities in the NFL at the end of the season if he wants to enter coaching again.

This is how they have it:
Arkansas
Who it should call first: Chris Petersen (head coach, Boise State), Jon Gruden (ESPN analyst, former NFL coach), Gus Malzahn (head coach, Arkansas State), Art Briles (head coach, Baylor).

Auburn:
Who it should call first: Charlie Strong (head coach, Louisville), Malzahn, James Franklin (head coach, Vanderbilt), Jimbo Fisher (head coach, Florida State), Chad Morris (offensive coordinator, Clemson).

Kentucky:
Who it should call first: Kliff Kingsbury (offensive coordinator, Texas A&M), Bobby Petrino (former head coach at Arkansas, the Atlanta Falcons and Louisville), Sonny Dykes (head coach, Louisiana Tech), Willie Taggart (head coach, Western Kentucky).

Tennessee:
Who it should call first: Strong, Gruden, Fisher, Bob Stoops (head coach, Oklahoma), Gary Patterson (head coach, TCU), Dan Mullen (head coach, Mississippi State).
Last edited by G8RNGA on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G8RNGA
Head Ball Coach

Re: CBS Sports ranks open SEC coaching positions

Postby itsgr82bag8r » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:46 pm

I've been harping about the Jimbo to Auburn move for a while. I think he's a logical choice.
Travis McGee wrote:The SEC is on its most dominate stretch its history, and Tennessee has played no part.

"its great to be a Tennessee fan" ..said no one ever
itsgr82bag8r
Bull Gator

Postby SavannahGator » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:56 pm

Malzahn is obvious for the Hogs b/c he's already in the state, but he's obvious for Auburn for obvious reasons.

I really don't see Bobby leaving OU for Knoxville. With all the stories when we hired Coach Boom about Stoops' wife hating Norman (reason for him leaving for UF - but then, Foley never considered him after all), maybe, but maybe she's used to it by now. And besides, why take over the mess that is Tennessee?

I think that Dykes is a sure bet for UK.

Strong may want to come to the SEC by taking Auburn, but I really wonder who's going to want AU's open spot, what with the possibility of probation looming. I see Strong more as a fit for Tennessee.
Last edited by SavannahGator on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A life is not important - except in the impact it has on other lives" . . . Jackie Robinson
SavannahGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby gardnerwebbalumnigator » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:58 pm

Charlie only mentioned for Auburn? Didn't they pass on him last time since they didn't like his white wife?
"Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
gardnerwebbalumnigator
Head Ball Coach

Postby Class of '78 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:02 pm

G8RNGA wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/college-football-rapidreports/21140491/sec-evaluating-the-job-openings-arkansas-auburn-kentucky-tennessee

I'm not surprised to see Petrino or Strong mentioned for several of these positions, but what was surprising was to see Jimbo Fisher on the list for ANY of the SEC open coaching positions! Really?!

I'd love to see Charlie Strong coaching in the SEC. The opportunity may be available, but I wonder if he's interested. Petersen probably won't jump to the SEC and Gruden will have many opportunities in the NFL at the end of the season if he wants to enter coaching again.

This is how they have it:
Arkansas
Who it should call first: Chris Petersen (head coach, Boise State), Jon Gruden (ESPN analyst, former NFL coach), Gus Malzahn (head coach, Arkansas State), Art Briles (head coach, Baylor).

Auburn:
Who it should call first: Charlie Strong (head coach, Louisville), Malzahn, James Franklin (head coach, Vanderbilt), Jimbo Fisher (head coach, Florida State), Chad Morris (offensive coordinator, Clemson).

Kentucky:
Who it should call first: Kliff Kingsbury (offensive coordinator, Texas A&M), Bobby Petrino (former head coach at Arkansas, the Atlanta Falcons and Louisville), Sonny Dykes (head coach, Louisiana Tech), Willie Taggart (head coach, Western Kentucky).

Tennessee:
Who it should call first: Strong, Gruden, Fisher, Bob Stoops (head coach, Oklahoma), Gary Patterson (head coach, TCU), Dan Mullen (head coach, Mississippi State), Sponge Bob.

My uneducated guesses in red.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby NVGator » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:04 pm

gardnerwebbalumnigator wrote:Charlie only mentioned for Auburn? Didn't they pass on him last time since they didn't like his white wife?

He was also mentioned for Tennessee.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby law98gator » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:05 pm

I don't see a ranking of open coaching positions.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
Bammer wrote:Isn't government intrusion your flavor du jour, divits?
Isn’t every flavor ever known to man your flavor du jour?
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby law98gator » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:06 pm

Stoops to U Toothless? :) :) :)
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Class of '78 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:09 pm

law98gator wrote:Stoops to U Toothless? :) :) :)

It wouldn't be open coaching season without Stoops on somebody's list. Sooner or later, people will wisen up.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby oxrageous » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:13 pm

This is a serious question: Why would any team want Jimbo Fisher? He's accomplished absolutely nothing. He's done less with more than anyone in college football. A real coach would have that FSU team completely dominating the embarrassing ACC.
oxrageous

Postby gardnerwebbalumnigator » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:15 pm

oxrageous wrote:This is a serious question: Why would any team want Jimbo Fisher? He's accomplished absolutely nothing. He's done less with more than anyone in college football. A real coach would have that FSU team completely dominating the embarrassing ACC.

The Barn is stupid enough to want him.
"Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
gardnerwebbalumnigator
Head Ball Coach

Postby Class of '78 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:15 pm

oxrageous wrote:This is a serious question: Why would any team want Jimbo Fisher? He's accomplished absolutely nothing. He's done less with more than anyone in college football. A real coach would have that FSU team completely dominating the embarrassing ACC.

I think he's become famous for being famous.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby G8RNGA » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:17 pm

I agree with this. It's not like he wasn't recruiting for this team when he was the "HC in waiting" and he was basically running the show for Bowden anyway. His body of work at FSU is not good enough, IMO, to warrant a head coaching job change.
G8RNGA
Head Ball Coach

Postby G8RNGA » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:19 pm

law98gator wrote:I don't see a ranking of open coaching positions.

Yep, changed it.
G8RNGA
Head Ball Coach

Postby oxrageous » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:23 pm

G8RNGA wrote:His body of work at FSU is not good enough, IMO, to warrant a head coaching job change.

It's not even that his body of work isn't good enough - it's actually poor. For the conference they are in, it is a bad, unacceptable body of work. I don't see why any other school would look at him and think, "That's who we want to turn us around!"

Frankly, he should be fired. And since he's also a lousy offensive coordinator (like he was at LSU), he shouldn't be able to find a job doing that, either. In a just world, he'd latch on somewhere as a position coach.
oxrageous

Postby -THE DUDE- » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:25 pm

SavannahGator wrote:Malzahn is obvious for the Hogs b/c he's already in the state, but he's obvious for Auburn for obvious reasons.

I really don't see Bobby leaving OU for Knoxville. With all the stories when we hired Coach Boom about Stoops' wife hating Norman (reason for him leaving for UF - but then, Foley never considered him after all), maybe, but maybe she's used to it by now. And besides, why take over the mess that is Tennessee?

I think that Dykes is a sure bet for UK.

Strong may want to come to the SEC by taking Auburn, but I really wonder who's going to want AU's open spot, what with the possibility of probation looming. I see Strong more as a fit for Tennessee.

I think this was just internet rumors at its finest. While everyone was saying this they were in the middle of building a freaking monster of a house in Norman. Doubt they would be doing that if her disliking Norman so much would influence him enough to leave...just sayin...
-THE DUDE-
Head Ball Coach

Postby DCflorida » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:26 pm

The 46th ranked offenses he's been in charge of, as a career average, doesn't excite you? :lol:
DCflorida
Bull Gator

Postby law98gator » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:46 pm

Class of '78 wrote:
law98gator wrote:Stoops to U Toothless? :) :) :)
It wouldn't be open coaching season without Stoops on somebody's list. Sooner or later, people will wisen up.

Stoops is the best at leveraging any open coaching position into a pay raise at Okie.

divits888 wrote:
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Return to Gatorsports Forum