Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, rogdochar and 18 guests

Lost All Faith in Computer Rankings

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Lost All Faith in Computer Rankings

Postby GatorInKnox » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:22 pm

FSU wasn't ranked in one of the computer rankings last week. I'm not complaining there but to be honest they should've been. But then after losing to us they are ranked 23rd in the same ranking. I realize the computers have been kind to us this year but a team being ranked higher after getting demoralized at home shows some serious flaws.
GatorInKnox
Head Ball Coach

Re: Lost All Faith in Computer Rankings

Postby law98gator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:25 pm

Moral victory.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby bayou gator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:28 pm

The reason they're ranked in the computers now is because their strength of schedule was dramatically improved after playing us.
P.S. - Don't feed the trolls!
bayou gator
Head Ball Coach

Postby NVGator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:31 pm

bayou gator wrote:The reason they're ranked in the computers now is because their strength of schedule was dramatically improved after playing us.

Yup. You got it.

Knox, not sure what is confusing here.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby GatorInKnox » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:31 pm

I understand that but losing the game that improves your SOS shouldn't be rewarded.
GatorInKnox
Head Ball Coach

Postby Deuce Coupe » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:38 pm

bayou gator wrote:The reason they're ranked in the computers now is because their strength of schedule was dramatically improved after playing us.

^ This
You can't spell SUCK without Image
Deuce Coupe
Heisman Gator

Postby NVGator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:39 pm

GatorInKnox wrote:I understand that but losing the game that improves your SOS shouldn't be rewarded.

Their SOS was in the dumps till they played us. Win or lose.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby bayou gator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:41 pm

It's all about how the different factors are calculated in the computer programs. SOS is one of the factors that has the most weight for many of the programs. Add it all up, and their overall standing improved because it was so weak before playing us. They should be thanking us, and jimbo should never open his mouth about the computer rankings again.
bayou gator
Head Ball Coach

Postby GatorInKnox » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:42 pm

If anyone can look at their computer screen with a straight face and say yea they should be ranked higher in a computer ranking after getting curb stomped at home then OK I'm never going to win this argument

FWIW they dropped down on the average computer ranking (that actually counts) so most of them got it right.
GatorInKnox
Head Ball Coach

Postby GatorTAG » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:44 pm

GatorInKnox wrote:I understand that but losing the game that improves your SOS shouldn't be rewarded.

They weren't rewarded. They dropped 2 spots to #12.
Swamp Queen wrote:I miss basketball just so you negative tards couldn't complain as much.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby bayou gator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:45 pm

I put a tremendous amount of faith in SOS. Yesterday was a perfect example of why it is so important.
bayou gator
Head Ball Coach

Postby GatorInKnox » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:46 pm

GatorTAG wrote:

Computer rankings chief not the whole BCS. And I'm only referring to one of the computer rankings.
GatorInKnox
Head Ball Coach

Postby NVGator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:48 pm

GatorInKnox wrote:If anyone can look at their computer screen with a straight face and say yea they should be ranked higher in a computer ranking after getting curb stomped at home then OK I'm never going to win this argument

FWIW they dropped down on the average computer ranking (that actually counts) so most of them got it right.

Look at my face... It's straight.

And we didn't curb stomp them. We beat them.
John Wooden

NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby GatorInKnox » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:48 pm

bayou gator wrote:I put a tremendous amount of faith in SOS. Yesterday was a perfect example of why it is so important.

As do I. But I feel like you should have to win your game to move up in the rankings, not lose emphatically. Again, only one of the services moved them up after losing, and it shouldn't be used again next year.
GatorInKnox
Head Ball Coach

Postby GatorInKnox » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:49 pm

NVGator wrote:
GatorInKnox wrote:If anyone can look at their computer screen with a straight face and say yea they should be ranked higher in a computer ranking after getting curb stomped at home then OK I'm never going to win this argument

Look at my face... It's straight.

And we didn't curb stomp them. We beat them.

:D your avatar is the straightest fave I've ever seen
GatorInKnox
Head Ball Coach

Postby GatorTAG » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:50 pm

GatorInKnox wrote:
GatorTAG wrote:

Computer rankings chief not the whole BCS. And I'm only referring to one of the computer rankings.

You didn't provide any links to what the hell you're talking about. Maybe that would help. :rolleyes: Chief.
Swamp Queen wrote:I miss basketball just so you negative tards couldn't complain as much.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Postby NVGator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:51 pm

Knox, I love you man, I do.

I'm not sure where the confusion is. A computer uses wins/loses. We had the best record they played all year. 11-1. Of course after playing us, their SOS would go up.
Last edited by NVGator on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Wooden

NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby GatorInKnox » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:51 pm

GatorTAG wrote:
GatorInKnox wrote:
GatorTAG wrote:

You didn't provide any links to what the hell you're talking about. Maybe that would help. :rolleyes: Chief.

Maybe read the thread title? Don't really feel this warranted a link
GatorInKnox
Head Ball Coach

Postby NVGator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:52 pm

GatorTAG wrote:
GatorInKnox wrote:
GatorTAG wrote:

The term Chief is used for Indians or Semiholes. :lol:
John Wooden

NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby GatorInKnox » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:52 pm

NVGator wrote:Knox, I love you man, I do.

I'm not sure where the confusion is. A computer uses wins/loses. We had the best record they played all year. 11-1. Of course after playing us, their SOS would go up.

Because their loses went up.
GatorInKnox
Head Ball Coach

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum