Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], MrSwampy, MSNbot Media, rogdochar, Yahoo [Bot] and 29 guests

Our first-half offense yesterday

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Our first-half offense yesterday

Postby Class of '78 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:24 pm

We came out with a totally different mindset, throwing on the first couple plays and even going deep during the first possession. FSU appeared unready, surprised and on their heels for a period of time.

No, we didn't convert as we should in the first half, but I think it sent a message: that we can move the football with more balance and diversity to our playcalling, and that maybe -- just maybe -- Brent Pease got Muschamp's ear before the game, and for good.

What's your take? I don't intend this as a rehash of old threads bashing the offense but rather how we might take something good from yesterday's game.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Re: Our first-half offense yesterday

Postby law98gator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:35 pm

Just the threat of the pass will help all the way around. I really liked what I saw.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
Bammer wrote:Isn't government intrusion your flavor du jour, divits?
Isn’t every flavor ever known to man your flavor du jour?
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby FunnGun » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:37 pm

If you're watching the replay now you just heard Weldon mention it. When you can run the ball on first down, which we did save the first possession, and pick up 5-6 yards that opens your play book and you can take more chances. Gives you an extra play because you're not as concerned with 3rd and 4 as you are with 3rd 8 or 9. Being able to run the ball as effectively as we did gave Brent and Will the confidence to attack a little more. That hasn't been nor will it always be the case.

FSU did a bad job of adjusting as well and stubbornly stayed in there base D. Brent called a great game but nothing was really out of the ordinary. Just players executing. Makes all the difference in the world.
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Class of '78 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:41 pm

FunnGun wrote:If you're watching the replay now you just heard Weldon mention it. When you can run the ball on first down, which we did save the first possession, and pick up 5-6 yards that opens your play book and you can take more chances. Gives you an extra play because you're not as concerned with 3rd and 4 as you are with 3rd 8 or 9. Being able to run the ball as effectively as we did gave Brent and Will the confidence to attack a little more. That hasn't been nor will it always be the case.

FSU did a bad job of adjusting as well and stubbornly stayed in there base D. Brent called a great game but nothing was really out of the ordinary. Just players executing. Makes all the difference in the world.

We went to the air so quickly that by the time they began to adjust, the running lanes were there. It was then that I saw something I hadn't all season, a Florida offense with tempo and rhythm. I think Driskel can run this kind of offense, occasionally sprinkling in the deep ball. His first deep throw yesterday was actually a decent ball.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby G8RByte » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:45 pm

Reminded me a little of Alabama and McElroy against us in the 2009 SECCG. Definitely liked it.
Reporter "What do you think about your team's execution?". John McKay "I'm all for it".
G8RByte
Heisman Gator

Postby law98gator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:51 pm

Class of '78 wrote: His first deep throw yesterday was actually a decent ball.

It was a good pass, even if it was long. Better long than short (given that receiver was behind the safety). It kept the safeties honest all night.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley ... Yes, Fvck them all.

divits888 wrote:
Bammer wrote:Isn't government intrusion your flavor du jour, divits?
Isn’t every flavor ever known to man your flavor du jour?
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby FunnGun » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:09 pm

law98gator wrote:
Class of '78 wrote: His first deep throw yesterday was actually a decent ball.

It was a good pass, even if it was long. Better long than short (given that receiver was behind the safety). It kept the safeties honest all night.

Agree, always better to be long than short, but especially in that case. Our receivers are challenged when it comes to catching the deep ball. They can't get there heads around or adjust their body while the ball is in the air. They aren't the aggressive types either that are going to fight for the ball or get in front of defenders, which is why an accurate throw is almost necessary. On our deep routes JD has to drop it in a bucket or we're hoping for a PI call. I'll say this though, they are trying and this might be the first year they've been asked or coached to play the position. I actually think the fact that we play SEC defensive front seven's and SEC DB's make them look worse than they really are, but their deficiencies are stunting JD growth to a degree. We need a number 1 bad.
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby mtn2top » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:17 pm

We had guys open the entire game because we are first and foremost a running team. They loaded the box early and dared us to run - we passed. as soon as they respected the pass we hit them with the power running game.

The biggest difference in this game compared to the past couple was the execution of a healthy starting O line. The FSU defense was not as good as SCe, UGA, LSU or A&M.

I don't think our offense is going to be that much different next year. If you can control the line of scrimmage and the running game you have no need to pass. A ball control, run first offense is the surest way to win games and keep the opposing team from getting the ball. This will continue to be our formula.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby muddycorey » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:46 pm

[quote="mtn2top"]We had guys open the entire game because we are first and foremost a running team. They loaded the box early and dared us to run - we passed. as soon as they respected the pass we hit them with the power running game.

The biggest difference in this game compared to the past couple was the execution of a healthy starting O line.
The FSU defense was not as good as SCe, UGA, LSU or A&M.

I don't think our offense is going to be that much different next year. If you can control the line of scrimmage and the running game you have no need to pass. A ball control, run first offense is the surest way to win games and keep the opposing team from getting the ball. This will continue to be our formula.[/quote]

I agree with both of these thoughts....the o-line was the healthiest it's been since LSU, which they completely dominated. I was probably one of many who just thought that they had gotten worse over the season after LSU, but apparently I just wasn't paying close enough attention to the number of different combinations they were using throughout that time....even during a game. I'm not completely x's and o's savvy, but a lot of people I know who are mentioned that before and during the game.

I do believe that this offense is what we'll see here from now on....it's a beat the hell out of you for 45 minutes and then just kick you while your down for the last 15. With the defense now designed and recruited for getting off the field, and the entire team just plain stronger. Look for next year's offense to be a lot of what we saw yesterday....especially the deeper they're able to make the line of scrimmage.
muddycorey
Senior Gator

Postby Deuce Coupe » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:08 am

I think most of us became frustrated with what seemed like lack of improvement in the offense but I think the real culprit was our lack of depth. We are slowly getting back to full scholarship numbers (not yet) but last year we were killed by injuries which we have been able to manage this year. *Plus having a new OC.

Being able to stick to his game plan seems to be a talent that WM has.
You can't spell SUCK without Image
Deuce Coupe
Heisman Gator

Return to Gatorsports Forum