Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ancient Reptile, Clawhammergator, divits888, f18bundy, g8rbob, Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, mtn2top and 50 guests

Why exactly does a BCS bowl matter?

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Re: Why exactly does a BCS bowl matter?

Postby UFever » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:31 am

I'm sorry, I just can't feel bad after we just kicked the crap out of the Nole. The past is the past and we live with it. I'm happy. What a great year(so far.)
UFever
Heisman Gator

Postby SavannahGator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:44 am

ncargat1 wrote:
oxrageous wrote:If you're not in the NC game, you are playing for nothing. So why is a BCS bowl really any better than a smaller bowl? Money? Exposure? It's a freaking joke.

Count me as someone that is disappointed that our Gators aren't playing for any championships. Thinking about playing a joke Oklahoma team seems nauseating right now. The stench of the Big 12 will stick to the Gators jerseys.

Losing to UGA this year is going to hurt for a long time, because it shouldn't have happened. Also, I think we need to brace ourselves for the possibility that UGA may win the NC. UGA. With Mark Richt. Yeah. It can happen - they are playing better football than Bama right now.

This isn't meant to be a negative Nellie post, it was a good season. But not a great season. A BCS bowl game is as meaningless as all the others.

Unlike some of the moronic fans, the PLAYERS deserve a reward for their season. Remember, the kid putting on the uniforms and actually playing. They should have the right to enjoy everything that goes on at a Big-time bowl game. If SHOULD be for THEM.

Agreed, it IS for the players and it's still a helluva lot better than the system we had as recently as 20 years ago.

When we get the playoff, the first time we get in and lose in the first round, will that be as "meaningless" as a BCS bowl game which gives a shot at a trophy?
"A life is not important - except in the impact it has on other lives" . . . Jackie Robinson
SavannahGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby lagator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:20 am

SavannahGator wrote:
ncargat1 wrote:
oxrageous wrote:If you're not in the NC game, you are playing for nothing. So why is a BCS bowl really any better than a smaller bowl? Money? Exposure? It's a freaking joke.

Count me as someone that is disappointed that our Gators aren't playing for any championships. Thinking about playing a joke Oklahoma team seems nauseating right now. The stench of the Big 12 will stick to the Gators jerseys.

Losing to UGA this year is going to hurt for a long time, because it shouldn't have happened. Also, I think we need to brace ourselves for the possibility that UGA may win the NC. UGA. With Mark Richt. Yeah. It can happen - they are playing better football than Bama right now.

This isn't meant to be a negative Nellie post, it was a good season. But not a great season. A BCS bowl game is as meaningless as all the others.

Unlike some of the moronic fans, the PLAYERS deserve a reward for their season. Remember, the kid putting on the uniforms and actually playing. They should have the right to enjoy everything that goes on at a Big-time bowl game. If SHOULD be for THEM.

Agreed, it IS for the players and it's still a helluva lot better than the system we had as recently as 20 years ago.

When we get the playoff, the first time we get in and lose in the first round, will that be as "meaningless" as a BCS bowl game which gives a shot at a trophy?

No, not in the slightest. That will mean we had our chance and didn't get it done on the field. If you're excited about a trophy for beating the second best team in the 3rd or 4th best conference, and probably no more than the 6th best team we played this year no one is stopping you, but you shouldn't expect everyone to feel the same way.

We love the team, we love the coach, we love the University, but this Bowl game looks like a dog and is a major disappointment.
lagator
Heisman Gator

Postby GatorJB » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:45 am

Lets say a year ago today (or after the Bowling Green game), someone told you that UF would finish the regular season 11-1, ranked 4th in the country, and heading to the Sugar bowl. Would you really have been this disappointed? I doubt it. Nobody thought at the beginning of this season that UF would be even close to playing in the nc, and they were very close to doing so. Every championship team at UF needed help to get in the big game. Unfortunately, they didn't get that help this year. It doesn't take away that this is a very good, respectable year for any college team no matter the program prestige.
GatorJB
Heisman Gator

Postby RamsteinGator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:06 am

FSU would die right now just to have bragging rights over us. Bowl or no bowl. Very odd team offensively this year, but last night's game was a statement to the toughness that will continue to build. We'll move on...and up.
RamsteinGator
True Gator

Postby Jbossgator9 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:01 am

LOLOLOL. Being 11-1 and going to the Sugar Bowl sure as shizzle feels better than being 7-6 like we were last year. Geez, get a grip and get off that ledge. Its almost like saying oh well we got to the Final 4 but lost so since we didn't win the National Title then our fantastic year meant nothing at all. There are 300 other teams that would LOVE to be in the Final 4. For this year we are ranked 4th and there are 100 other teams that would LOVE to be where we are. You think Auburn or Tennessee would LOVE to trade places with us right about now?????????? LOL Give me a break, that is all friggin nonsense. Get a grip on yourself. Go Gators!!
Jbossgator9
Heisman Gator

Postby lagator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:09 am

Jbossgator9 wrote:LOLOLOL. Being 11-1 and going to the Sugar Bowl sure as shizzle feels better than being 7-6 like we were last year. Geez, get a grip and get off that ledge. Its almost like saying oh well we got to the Final 4 but lost so since we didn't win the National Title then our fantastic year meant nothing at all. There are 300 other teams that would LOVE to be in the Final 4. For this year we are ranked 4th and there are 100 other teams that would LOVE to be where we are. You think Auburn or Tennessee would LOVE to trade places with us right about now?????????? LOL Give me a break, that is all friggin nonsense. Get a grip on yourself. Go Gators!!

Yes, it was a very good year but definitely not "fantastic" since we came up short of our goals. We aren't playing in the SECCG or for a NC, and it looks like we are going to play a team outside the top 10 in a meaningless bowl game. Other than tradition, to me there is nothing particularly special about this "BCS" game as Ox points out. For instance, I would much rather not get the BSC Bowl game title but play a more interesting matchup.

And I'm so tired of people saying "if someone told you a year ago....."
Look, I don't engage in "magical thinking" so when anyone says that it just makes them look like a simpleton. Since no one can see the future it wouldn't make any friggin' difference what someone said a year ago. The reality of the present situation (not some BS hypothetical) is we had a defense good enough to beat anyone in the country and an offense that could do just enough to allow us to win, but we layed an egg in the most meaningful game of the year, and for that we are now paying the price.

As far as the SB game goes, a win would be nice for the seniors and Champ, but a loss might make the returning players a little more hungry and willing to work harder in the off-season. I don't see the outcome having any impact on recruiting so it really is pretty meaningless. I know it sounds like sour grapes but it is just the way it feels. Maybe when it gets closer it will feel different but right now it just feels "meh" and I'm much more interested in upcoming Basketball games against AZ, Missouri and UK than a football game against OK.
lagator
Heisman Gator

Postby OrlandoG8or » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:55 am

Muschamp said tonight in his post game presser "I just think, again, at University of Florida we are about winning championships. We are about going to Atlanta. So we didn't achieve that goal. And that's important to me. I understand the importance of that game in our league, and having the opportunity to play for that. Well we didn't accomplish that so, until you start accomplishing some goals, Everybody wants to talk about we've arrived and were back. Hell we haven't won a championship, until you win a championship, I'm have a hard time sittin' here saying we've arrived and we're back. "

So I understand where you're coming from Ox. However if you would have told me that UF was going to be 11-1 at the end of this year, I would have said that you're just some Gator homer that can't see the light of day. At the beginning of the year the national press had us middle of the SECe trailing UT, UGA, and USCe that would have put us at 9-3, 8-4 somewhere in that neighborhood. The Gators faced their detractors, and changed the perspective of the media. Making the country's press eat crow is always nice.

I am more than happy with the level of play this year. The SEC is a big boy league and the SEC handles their business week in and week out. The Gators did this, and lost a heartbreaker a few weeks back, to another 1 loss SEC team. Not playing in Atlanta may be to our benefit (better bowl), but also the rankings at the end of the season are all that matters, if we win out, we can easily be a number 3 or number 2 when its all said and done.

The reason the BCS make's a difference, is because of the level of money that is split between the teams in the conference for the BCS games as opposed to non-BCS bowl games. In the end I like being at the top and being able to continue that dominance because of the revenue stream we get for winning. UF is going to a BCS bowl game and will be contributing their share of revenue to the SEC.

This was a successful season. I'll take it, and look forward to next year. I hope Muschamp can keep this level of dedication from his team. I like the direction he is going. I still would like to nominate him for Coach of the Year.
“It's just a very exciting time at the University of Florida. And I want to be part of it.”
--Tim Tebow--
OrlandoG8or
True Gator

Ox....please....

Postby TommyGator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:16 am

...put down the gun....

Yeah, we lost to the hated leg-humpers and we are OUT of the Big Game. We turned the ball over 12 times all year and six of them were in that one game. We have a young QB who sometimes gets rattled. It happened yesterday in the third QTR and it happened in Jacksonville.

Nevertheless, we had a GREAT season. Could have been a Championship season, but we fell one step short. Is that totally on these players? Yes they lost, but no, the Championship issue lies elsewhere.

The real problem is the BS system. If we actually had a playoff system to determine the REAL National Champion, our Gators would be the third seed.

I love UF, this team and this season. Coach Muschamp is the real deal and I love the way he is building this team. IMO, he will become a legendary coach here.

So Ox, step back from the edge, put down the gun, and look at the other side of the coin. You are better than this spoiled brat reaction you have been displaying.
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser
TommyGator
Heisman Gator

Re: Ox....please....

Postby gator in virginia » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:18 am

We should petition Obama to pardon Florida's loss to Georgia
gator in virginia
All-American Gator

Re: Ox....please....

Postby wfoster314 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:25 am

Wait til next year. There's so much young talent on this team, it's scary. It seems like each, a new young gun takes the spotlight. Roberson is going to be incredible.
To Be...
wfoster314
Senior Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:11 am

oxrageous wrote:
ncargat1 wrote:

Is going to the Sugar Bowl instead of the Capital One Bowl really that much larger of a reward?

If you would stop thinking like a fan for a moment and project yourself as a player, then maybe would see that it does matter which bowl.

For once, we've had a terrific season and will not be rewarded with a shot at a national title. Now we can commiserate with all the other great teams that got "unfairly" axed out of the mix. We knew what we in for when we stepped on the field in Jacksonville. Take care of business and the rest is taken care of.

You could have saved yourself the trouble, Ox, if you had angled this thread toward how a playoff is better than the bowl system.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby Authentigator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:26 am

I'll take a trip to the Big Easy over Orlando any day.
Authentigator
Freshman Gator

Postby kcgator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:29 am

Is this thread serious? :rolleyes:
kcgator
Head Ball Coach

Postby heavychevy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:42 am

Cranky never-satisfied Gator fans at their best in this thread. If a BCS bowl is no different than any other bowl thats your opinion. In the long run, if I'm a guy on the fence between choosing UF who went to the Sugar Bowl or a team that went to the Outback or Capital one, and hearing about how much better players (and the folks that are fortunate enough to travel with the team) get treated at a BCS trip than a normal bowl trip - trust me, huge difference, and how much more attention those BCS teams get than the other bowls, you better believe I'm taking that in to account when I make my decision.
Its one thing to be a little disappointed that we didn't get to - once again - back door our way in to the championship but to call this season any type of failure is pure lunacy.
heavychevy
True Gator

Postby DCflorida » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:46 am

oxrageous wrote:That USC debacle I just watched only made me pissed all over again about the UGA game. I still can't believe we wet the bed so badly that day.

I'm convinced Law has hacked your account. :lol:

Look at it this way, if someone offered you 11-1 before the season started, and a very real shot at a national title game at the end of the year, glorious wins over UT and FSU, a relevant BCS bowl game and clear signs that the program is back, you would have jumped all over it, right?

Let's not forget the absolute despair of 8-5 and 7-6, for perspective.
Last edited by DCflorida on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
DCflorida
Bull Gator

Postby GatorStud » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:48 am

Never underestimate the opportunity you created in any given season as there is no guarantee to have it again the next season. A team on paper is no given to be the team on the field. In that sense, I concur with Ox's anguish over the carelessness with the dawg. My hope is we are witnessing the beginning of the Muschamp dynasty at Florida where competing and winning the Ring and Crystal is more times than not.
GatorStud
Head Ball Coach

Postby vulcan_alex » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:52 am

Let's count the reasons that the Sugar Bowl is better:

More Money - This is probably the least of the reasons but it is nice for both us and the SEC.

Different and better city - Most Gators have been to Orlando so it is not that big of a deal to visit. In addition it is better for Orlando to have a team from a northern state who will generate visitors and money.

Much better stadium - the Capital One Bowl bid to become the fifth BCS game, but was not chosen, primarily due to the stadium's aging condition. No bad weather nor messed up field due to other games.

That is all!! And plenty of reasons.
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Postby williston_gator » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:56 am

I completely understand the frustration. But if you told me before the season that we would be in the sugar bowl I'd have called you crazy. I'm bummed but super proud of our team.
williston_gator
Heisman Gator

Postby wfoster314 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:08 am

The SEC splits all bowl revenue between its members. This will be a banner year for the conference. Six of the top ten are from the SEC. Even Vandy and Ole Miss are going bowling. Enjoy being one of the best of the best. The team will have a good time in New Orleans and it is also good for recruiting.
To Be...
wfoster314
Senior Gator

PreviousNext

Return to Gatorsports Forum