Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BoomTown, dz_23, GatorBart, Google [Bot], lagator, MSNbot Media, rogdochar, TheDouglas78, Yahoo [Bot] and 68 guests

Why Tennessee May Hire Bobby Petrino

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Why Tennessee May Hire Bobby Petrino

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:22 pm

Controversial, yes. But out of desperation comes controversy. And right now Tennessee is desperate to get their football program out of the depths of despair. The Vols say they are going to go after a proven head coach, not an up and coming assistant, and not one like Derek Dooley with less than stellar credentials at a second tier school (Louisiana Tech).

A lot of schools think they can put money in front of someone and that they can hire whomever they want to. But when they start looking at the available coaches it is not always so easy. Everybody likes to throw big names around. Jon Gruden is not automatically going to take the UT job despite the fact that he married a former UT cheerleader and already owns a home in the Knoxville area. Plus Gruden is not a proven commodity in college ball the way Bobby Petrino is.

Derek Dooley was Tennessee's Mike Shula, men of integrity but not top notch game day sideline coaches or coaches who could build a program. Tennessee is now looking for their Nick Saban. But where is he? There is only one Nick Saban. But Bobby Petrino is the closest thing to a Nick Saban out there on the market at the present time.

And Petrino is available and would jump at the chance to get back into college football. Tennessee knows they have to act and act quick because if they don't grab Petrino, then Auburn or Kentucky will. It is a nuclear arms race right now in the SEC a situation where you swallow your pride and do what you need to do.

Other names that have been mentioned include Al Golden at Miami, but I don't think he is good enough or who the UT fans really want. Jimbo Fisher at FSU has even been mentioned because there are some internal things he is supposedly upset with over in Tallahassee. He has also been mentioned as a possible hire at Auburn, but I think when he looks at these programs, particularly the mess at Auburn and the fact that he would trade Muschamp for Saban as an in-state rival, that FSU starts looking better and better. FSU is the best place for Jimbo, and he knows it.

A school that is not desperate does not have to and will not hire Petrino. But this is not Tennessee at this stage. After Petrino wins his first ball game, the fans who are against him will begin to come over. The storm of criticism that Tennessee will get by hiring him will have to be weathered, but this is the school that hired Lane Kiffin and stuck it out as long as it could with Bruce Pearl. Tennessee is at a crossroads. Hiring Petrino brings them instant credibility to the bottom line,(that's to the bottom line and not integrity) and I think the stakes are so high this time that Bobby Petrino might just ride his motorcycle up to Rocky Top.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Re: Why Tennessee May Hire Bobby Petrino

Postby Class of '78 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:46 pm

Based on another thread on this board, Tennessee sounds desperate enough to try this.

Petrino's a known commodity as a coach. Unfortunately for whichever school dares hire him, he's also widely known for questionable character.

In the long run, I think it matters.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby TN G8R » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:16 pm

I'm just sick to death of hearing Gruden Gruden Gruden...
TN G8R
Redshirt Gator

Postby Sheldon » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:23 pm

TN G8R wrote:I'm just sick to death of hearing Gruden Gruden Gruden...

Gruden may coach next year but it is more likely with the Eagles.....
Sheldon
Baby Gator

Postby GatorInKnox » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:25 pm

There's no way they hire Petrino while on probation
GatorInKnox
Head Ball Coach

Postby Sheldon » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:29 pm

GatorInKnox wrote:There's no way they hire Petrino while on probation

Petrino needs to look out west and find a nice place to hide out where no one will bother him....kind of like Leach did.

I would say Cal but not sure what their value system is? They have hippies and drum circles but not sure if they approve of a mistresses or not :question:
Sheldon
Baby Gator

Postby O&BGator » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:30 pm

TN G8R wrote:I'm just sick to death of hearing Gruden Gruden Gruden...

:lol:
O&BGator
Heisman Gator

Postby vulcan_alex » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:48 pm

They probably should do so as soon as they can before someone else does.
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Postby oxrageous » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:59 pm

According to our GSMB UT insider (and he really is privy to inside UT info), Petrino is NOT being considered for the job. It would be a public relations nightmare.

No big school is going to hire Petrino. What is going to happen is that a smaller school will hire him for a year or two. THEN the bigger schools will feel more comfortable hiring him away, citing how he's "changed".
oxrageous

Postby DCflorida » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:27 pm

oxrageous wrote:According to our GSMB UT insider (and he really is privy to inside UT info), Petrino is NOT being considered for the job. It would be a public relations nightmare.

No big school is going to hire Petrino. What is going to happen is that a smaller school will hire him for a year or two. THEN the bigger schools will feel more comfortable hiring him away, citing how he's "changed".

Maybe Kentucky? Their current administration had no qualms with hiring equally shady Calipari for its coveted basketball job.
DCflorida
Bull Gator

Postby CGgater » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:28 pm

I've heard there are separate reports totaling 3-4 head coaching hires that are a "done deal." THIS JUST IN - Billy D was seen shopping for horse ranch real estate in kintuky... oh wait...

I don't think petrino is out of consideration at ut. They hired kiffen and pearl. They don't have a shred of self-respect left.
CGgater
All-American Gator

Postby kcgator » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:34 pm

Jeff Tedford will be the next coach at UcheaT
kcgator
Head Ball Coach

Postby GatorInKnox » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:45 pm

CGgater wrote:I've heard there are separate reports totaling 3-4 head coaching hires that are a "done deal." THIS JUST IN - Billy D was seen shopping for horse ranch real estate in kintuky... oh wait...

I don't think petrino is out of consideration at ut. They hired kiffen and pearl. They don't have a shred of self-respect left.

I can personally guarantee you that Petrino will not be hired at UT. Kentucky is another story...
GatorInKnox
Head Ball Coach

Postby CGgater » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:56 pm

GatorInKnox wrote:
CGgater wrote:I've heard there are separate reports totaling 3-4 head coaching hires that are a "done deal." THIS JUST IN - Billy D was seen shopping for horse ranch real estate in kintuky... oh wait...

I can personally guarantee you that Petrino will not be hired at UT. Kentucky is another story...

Well, you're no fun. :sadnanner:
CGgater
All-American Gator

Postby Swamp82 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:33 pm

GatorInKnox wrote:

Well Ms Cleo please tell me personally who they will hire?
If you would like to keep your coach you can
Swamp82
Head Ball Coach

Postby oxrageous » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:50 pm

I had also read somewhere that Kentucky is not interested in Petrino. Who knows what the truth is at this point.
oxrageous

Postby rogdochar » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:51 pm

UT can hire Petrino explaining that they've fitted him with a
GPS male chastity phallic thimble. :madevil:
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby law98gator » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:54 pm

Honestly, I think several schools will consider Petrino. I don't know that tinerc will be the winner in that competition anyway.

He'd in there. It's hilarious that they are acting like their sights are set higher. Honestly, I don't know that they can land him.
Last edited by law98gator on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby MJMGator » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:16 pm

I said way back before the season that Pertrino would land at either UK or UT. Despite his character flaws, he can coach. He's also never been in trouble with the NCAA. The biggest obstacle he will face is having someone get past his "misleading" the administration at Arky. The affair is forgivable, but they way he went it about it may not be.
t-gator wrote:
Out of all those sperm cells I can't believe 561 one the race
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby UFever » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:19 pm

Petrino can score, so someone will hire him.
UFever
Heisman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum