Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Angry Narwhal, DaMagicGator, Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 55 guests

the reed fumble vs UGA

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

the reed fumble vs UGA

Postby triFencer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:52 pm

I was watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1fecbHL ... re=related

Obviously JD made a good read but did you notice that it was actually setup as a screen pass? Looks like gilly got out with 3 blockers...
triFencer
Redshirt Gator

Re: the reed fumble vs UGA

Postby mrgator » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:53 pm

I do not know this game which you speak of? :?
mrgator
Heisman Gator

Postby Sasquatch Gator » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:00 pm

By gosh you're right. What an odd play.

And on a side note, pretty classy move by Jarvis Jones staying by Reed and helping him up rather than celebrate.
:burp:
Sasquatch Gator
Bull Gator

Postby SavannahGator » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:26 pm

triFencer wrote:I was watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1fecbHL ... re=related

Obviously JD made a good read but did you notice that it was actually setup as a screen pass? Looks like gilly got out with 3 blockers...

HOLY CRAP!! While the camera didn't follow Gilly after the throw, initially, it sure looked like he was open on the right side for a screen pass. I did see two blockers in front of him, not sure if there was a third, but if JD had checked off to Gilly, he might have gone into the end zone. Of course, you can't guarantee a successful 2 pt conversion, but at least we would have had a shot at it.
"A life is not important - except in the impact it has on other lives" . . . Jackie Robinson
SavannahGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby divits888 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:59 pm

Every time I re-watch that play I can't help but do the same thing I did when I watched it live and scream at Reed to tuck the damn ball after he caught it. Sadly, the play never changes and I see once again that what I feared would happen... does happen. :?
divits888
Bull Gator

Postby ltraz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:09 pm

While it was an interesting read by JD (Reed is really a decoy to keep the LB and safety near the back side hash in the case of a zone), this play also points out what is wrong with our offense. The play is set up nicely, UGA kind of does what we want (rushed 4 that all got up field although I'm sure Pease was hoping for a 'heavier' pass blitz like they'd been doing all game), but the execution is horrible. In this case Nixon and Gilly both look like we just drew that play up in the dirt. Nixon is supposed to block Jones, b/c we are worried about him getting up field so much quicker than the other D-lineman that we'd have to throw early, but Nixon still needs to invite him up field. After Jones stops his up field rush, Nixon has to know that the play is a screen and start cutting off Jones pursuit angle. He does none of this. My playing days are well behind me (and I played safety) so when I can do a better job than our starting left tackle on any play we have a serious problem. Gilly has the easiest job on the play...if one of the other 3 rushers gets up field way quicker than the other 2, give him a little chip and then get behind your blockers. Gilly bails immediately which both puts him in front of his blockers and helps the LB pick him up immediately. I am usually a pretty good supporter of our staff, but both those players look like they have never been coached on that play in their lives.
ltraz
Heisman Gator

Postby -THE DUDE- » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:17 pm

triFencer wrote:I was watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1fecbHL ... re=related

That's impossible...he doesn't make reads...he only holds on to the ball too long and runs out of bounds behind the LOS.
-THE DUDE-
Head Ball Coach

Postby ATXGator » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:57 pm

I just watched that a couple times and clearly JD made the right read as Gilly wasn't ready for a pass when he had to get rid of it.

It also looked like all the blockers were behind Gilly. If you look at the 9 second mark you can see Gilly is in front of all 3 blockers and there are 2 UGA defenders and 1 UF WR in front. Not sure how you expect that to turn into a TD.

JD made a great read recognizing the screen wasn't there and throwing it to Reed 1 on 1 with a defender. Reed breaks a tackle, but doesn't realize Jones is chasing him from behind and makes a bad decision while Jones makes a great play.
"You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take!"

ATXGator
Heisman Gator

Postby Bucksweep » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:24 pm

This play should not have cost the Gators the game. The Gators should have abused a bad run defense.
Bucksweep
Freshman Gator

Postby Homer J » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:08 pm

Good find.
Homer J
Head Ball Coach

Postby Swamp82 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:49 pm

divits888 wrote:Every time I re-watch that play I can't help but do the same thing I did when I watched it live and scream at Reed to tuck the damn ball after he caught it. Sadly, the play never changes and I see once again that what I feared would happen... does happen. :?

Guess what? If you watched it again he would still fumble,
:deadhorse: Happy Groundhogs Day!
If you would like to keep your coach you can
Swamp82
Head Ball Coach

Return to Gatorsports Forum