Who is online

Users browsing this forum: -THE DUDE-, bradgator2, CivilGator, Class of '78, Clawhammergator, gatormoe1, gatorpe, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Leroy Jenkins, WobbleGator and 50 guests

Derrick Henry breaks HS Rushing Record

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

Derrick Henry breaks HS Rushing Record

Postby GatorTAG » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:46 pm

I didn't see final numbers because I was just seeing tweets shoot by, but Derrick Henry shattered Ken Hall's 60 year old National HS rushing record tonight. He needed 102 yards to break the record. The last numbers I saw for Henry were something like 54 rushes, 456 yards and 6 TD's. :eek:

There was a great interview on local radio yesterday between Hall and Henry for those that want to hear it.

http://pro.wjxl-fm.tritonflex.com/audio

Click on the link with the Derrick Henry pic towards the bottom of the page. Sorry, I could find a way to embed the audio. I'm using a phone.
Swamp Queen wrote:I miss basketball just so you negative tards couldn't complain as much.
GatorTAG
Head Ball Coach

Re: Derrick Henry breaks HS Rushing Record

Postby FunnGun » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:21 am

:cool: Broke the record on a long TD drive as well. Heard that interview the other day and listening to both was really cool. Derrick's a really, really good kid. Just listen to the interview and he always answers with, yes sir, no sir, and that's how he is with everyone, very respectful. Regardless of what he does in college or beyond he'll be just fine. Glad the new national record comes home to little ole Yulee/Fern/Northside. :cool:

Daniel McMillan and First Coast are done. The best talent pool in the city and Marty Lee **** it up again.
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Orange_Blue_15 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:27 am

FunnGun wrote::cool: Broke the record on a long TD drive as well. Heard that interview the other day and listening to both was really cool. Derrick's a really, really good kid. Just listen to the interview and he always answers with, yes sir, no sir, and that's how he is with everyone, very respectful. Regardless of what he does in college or beyond he'll be just fine. Glad the new national record comes home to little ole Yulee/Fern/Northside. :cool:

Daniel McMillan and First Coast are done. The best talent pool in the city and Marty Lee **** it up again.

henry is a monster
Orange_Blue_15
Redshirt Gator

Postby Amazin1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:28 am

Henry is a linebacker...bank on it.
Amazin1
All-American Gator

Postby FunnGun » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:39 am

Amazin1 wrote:Henry is a linebacker...bank on it.

Personally, I agree, but not everyone around him thinks so. He's gonna get his shot at Bama. It's really what he wants but he does realize that it may not work out for him. He's a football player first and would handle the kicking duties if he thought it would get him on the field.
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:06 am

Tag, thanks for posting that interview with Ken Hall, the Sugarland Express.

Just great stuff.

Listening to that interview, towards the end of it, Mr. Hall gives some advice to Derrick Henry about going to Alabama and playing for Nick Saban, and you can almost hear Hall talking to himself. As the interview told, Ken Hall went to Texas A&M where he played for none other than Bear Bryant. But Hall numbers dropped off at A&M. Bryant had another back in College Station by the name of John David Crowe who went on to be the only Heisman Trophy Winner Bear Bryant ever coached.

Hall said to Henry that you are going to face competition at Alabama and you might not be the star, you may be the star, but you might not be, but you are going to have to work for it every day. Good advice from an old school guy, and maybe Hall was saying to himself, if I had only worked harder in college.

One interesting thing I looked up about Ken Hall was that Sugarland was a small school outside of Houston, and the school's nickname was the Gators of all names. That was not a very common name for school mascots back in that time. Gators has become more popular as a nickname particularly in the state of Florida due to the influence of the University of Florida.

I found the video clip of Ken Hall playing in high school, or so I think, that he mentioned in this interview. I wish we could have gotten Derrick Henry to come to Florida, but because he made such a name for himself over at Yulee I am sure that a lot of people from Florida will follow him to see what he does at Alabama.

Look at that offense--Muschamp would have loved it (just kidding, just kidding).

They could have left out the corny music on the film.

Last edited by Okeechobee Joe on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby NVGator » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:10 am

We didn't want him anyway :rolleyes:
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby gatorpe » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:18 am

Did you check out the cheerleader outfits near the end? Very long skirts.
Joakim Noah:
Sometimes, it feels good to be the bad guy
gatorpe
Heisman Gator

Postby mtn2top » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:34 am

Thanks for sharing.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby TommyGator » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:02 am

The cheerleaders almost invented "The Chomp" there at the end....

And the music is perfect....
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser
TommyGator
Heisman Gator

Return to Gatorsports Forum