Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], MrSwampy, MSNbot Media, rogdochar, Yahoo [Bot] and 29 guests

Bianchi said something smart

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Bianchi said something smart

Postby MassGator » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:16 am

It doesn't happen but Bianchi actually said something that is true:

"Defense may win championships, but offense sells tickets."

Every school has it's football identity and since the days of SOS, we hang our hat on offense. It's not that we don't appreciate great defense and it's not that we haven't had great defenses. All of our championship teams have played really good defense, but they were always the side dish.

I know it's not the only reason, but you can see it in the stands, right now the fan base isn't fully engaged in this team and a lot has to do with our offense being such a train wreck. It has been for three years now.

We're an offense first school. That's our culture. If Muschamp fully wants the fan base to embrace him, he's going to have to accept that fact.
Cape Cod - Home of the Florida Gators
MassGator
Freshman Gator

Re: Bianchi said something smart

Postby MJMGator » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:20 am

I have always enjoyed watching a stellar defense more than a high flying offense. I guess I'm in the minority on this one.
t-gator wrote:
Out of all those sperm cells I can't believe 561 one the race
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby NCG8r » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:22 am

MassGator wrote:It doesn't happen but Bianchi actually said something that is true:

Every school has it's football identity and since the days of SOS, we hang our hat on offense. It's not that we don't appreciate great defense and it's not that we haven't had great defenses. All of our championship teams have played really good defense, but they were always the side dish.

I know it's not the only reason, but you can see it in the stands, right now the fan base isn't fully engaged in this team and a lot has to do with our offense being such a train wreck. It has been for three years now.

We're an offense first school. That's our culture. If Muschamp fully wants the fan base to embrace him, he's going to have to accept that fact.

Muschamp is following the Alabama/LSU model for success in the SEC. He is building a strong defense as his base, and will be satisfied with enough offense to score more than his opponents. The days of the wide open SOS offenses and high scoring spread offenses in the SEC is over. D first, O second. That is just the way it is. Nevertheless, once the outstanding D is established, a more watchable offense wil follow.
NCG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:29 am

Winning sells more tickets
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby G8RNGA » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:31 am

MassGator wrote:It doesn't happen but Bianchi actually said something that is true:

I believe it was the late Bear Bryant that said something to the effect of this. I'd rather win championships than have an Oregon offense that looks great until they meet a team for the championship and are blown away.
Last edited by G8RNGA on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
G8RNGA
Head Ball Coach

Postby GatorJB » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:33 am

They didn't hire Muschamp to put fans in the seats. They hired him to win games. If you want great offense, be a Tennessee (4-6) or West Virginia (5-4) fan. I'm fine with UF being a winning team and not an entertaining team. Sure its nice when the offense is high scoring and entertaining, and I certainly want the offense to improve; however, this team in spite of its flaws will finish with double digit wins (which no one expected them to do) because of their defense. If this team's strengths were reversed, UF would be UT right now.
Last edited by GatorJB on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
GatorJB
Heisman Gator

Postby cover2 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:34 am

MJMGator wrote:I have always enjoyed watching a stellar defense more than a high flying offense. I guess I'm in the minority on this one.

There are at least two of us!

Mass refers to our football culture as being O-centric, at least from the days of SOS. A look farther back shows that we have also had some good teams that were maybe dominated by stellar defensive play (Wilbur Marshall, and others). It can be argued, also, that the current CFB culture may be swinging back toward teams with more of the traditional approach...great defense and an offense that controls the clock and minimizes turnovers (read as strong rushing attack) if Bama and LSU's recent dominance means anything.

Bottom line, to me anyhow, is that winning, however it is accomplished, is pretty cool. I sort of like the fact that we are able (with a few exceptions) impose our defensive will on the opposition these days. Kind of like preferring steak over quiche...or a good beer over a wine cooler :D
"I aim to kill you in one minute, Ned, or see you hang in Ft. Smith at Judge Parker's convenience! Which'll it be?"
cover2
Heisman Gator

Postby Jabberdave » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:38 am

MJMGator wrote:I have always enjoyed watching a stellar defense more than a high flying offense. I guess I'm in the minority on this one.

I'm with you. Hell, I enjoyed the regular season Bama - LSU game last year.
My, you're pretty after the third bottle.
Jabberdave
Bull Gator

Postby WestSideGata » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:53 am

Every year we won the National Championship our defense was at the top of the national rankings, with the offense coming together after. I figure the same will happen Champo. Stout D, Offensive Consistency.
WestSideGata
True Gator

Postby ATXGator » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:58 am

If we beat UGA the Missouri game would have been sold out and same with ULL.

Jackson St.... well, I can't blame people for not wanting to watch that.

I agree that Winning sells tickets and a dominating D is as much fun to watch as a dominating offense IMO.
"You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take!"

ATXGator
Heisman Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:02 am

Winning is the great equalizer. We have a great defense, a woeful offense. So long as Muschamp wins, he gets a pass. But the popular margin of error, given the spoiled tendencies of Florida fans, is slimmer with an imbalanced team than one that's proficient on both sides of the ball.

I have every reason to believe our offensive problems are temporary and that next season we'll see notable improvement.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby electricg8r » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:04 am

Wrong, I like defense and would rather watch us in a championships. With these type of defenses the seats will be full in no time. It takes people a little while to see the coming. I guess that makes 3 of us.
electricg8r
Baby Gator

Postby FunnGun » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:07 am

cover2 wrote:

There are at least two of us!

Mass refers to our football culture as being O-centric, at least from the days of SOS. A look farther back shows that we have also had some good teams that were maybe dominated by stellar defensive play (Wilbur Marshall, and others). It can be argued, also, that the current CFB culture may be swinging back toward teams with more of the traditional approach...great defense and an offense that controls the clock and minimizes turnovers (read as strong rushing attack) if Bama and LSU's recent dominance means anything.

Bottom line, to me anyhow, is that winning, however it is accomplished, is pretty cool. I sort of like the fact that we are able (with a few exceptions) impose our defensive will on the opposition these days. Kind of like preferring steak over quiche...or a good beer over a wine cooler :D

Me three, I agree with both of you.

Nothing more satisfying than watching a dominate and stingy defense imposing its will and going on the offensive. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching efficient and fundamentally sound offense. I've never really been a fan of the chuck and run for your life philosophies. You can't be dominate running away from someone. Line up and knock the bubble snot out of someone and leave no doubt who the alpha male is.

Ultimately though, however you decide to go about it, I'm fine with it as long as we're winning. Just win. It's all that matters.
FunnGun
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Jabberdave » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:13 am

I agree with me as well.
My, you're pretty after the third bottle.
Jabberdave
Bull Gator

Postby MJMGator » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:17 am

Jabberdave wrote:I agree with me as well.

:lol:
t-gator wrote:
Out of all those sperm cells I can't believe 561 one the race
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby Cold Blooded Reptile » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:21 am

NCG8r wrote:

Muschamp is following the Alabama/LSU model for success in the SEC. He is building a strong defense as his base, and will be satisfied with enough offense to score more than his opponents. The days of the wide open SOS offenses and high scoring spread offenses in the SEC is over. D first, O second. That is just the way it is. Nevertheless, once the outstanding D is established, a more watchable offense wil follow.

Seriously? Tell that to Texas A & M. I am so glad those boys, and their creativity, showed up in the conference to teach us there are alternatives to the Saban model. If we played A&M now, they would run us off the field.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly ... for a worthy cause .... Theodore Roosevelt
Cold Blooded Reptile
Freshman Gator

Postby IDGAC » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:48 am

Bianchi said something obvious.
IDGAC
Heisman Gator

Postby gatordad » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:53 am

I'll claim 4. I love defense! D wins championships! Always has, always will.
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans-John Lennon
gatordad
Heisman Gator

Postby willgetin » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:34 pm

It would be smart is he said "I quit". Other than that, its just drivel...
Alv: We have no excuses for this humiliating loss. We have only ourselves to blame. Tennessee most definitely deserved to lose.
Alv: You do realize your signature bums me out more than any other Jort rabble on the GSMB...Any chance you would...remove it?
willgetin
Heisman Gator

Postby AlexDaGator » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:47 pm

Defense was definitely the main course in 2006.

Looking back at each of our championship seasons:

1996 was a great offense that elevated a very good defense.

2006 was a great defense that elevated a very average offense.

2008 was a very good offense AND a very good defense.

The constant is winning.

Alex.
AlexDaGator
Heisman Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum