Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Clawhammergator, Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 44 guests

Warning: NBA Thread

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Warning: NBA Thread

Postby Class of '78 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:33 pm

The oddest thing happened yesterday. The Lakers, who within the past week fired coach Mike Brown after a dismal start, did an about-face on their earlier offer to Phil Jackson "to think about it overnight" and instead offered the opening to Mike “Offense Wins Championships” D’Antoni. This is the same Phil Jackson who guided them to three championships after coaching the Bulls to six titles the previous decade.

According to Jackson, there was an informal understanding yesterday between he and the Lakers, who signed Dwight Howard in the offseason, that he had until today to decide if he was up to the rigors of the long NBA season. He thought it was his to turn down. At midnight Sunday, Jackson said, Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak called to let him know the team had decided instead to offer the job to D’Antoni.

What? That’s like the Niners pulling the rug on Bill Walsh in favor of Mike Martz. :lol:

STORY
Last edited by Class of '78 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Re: Warning: NBA Thread

Postby MJMGator » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:35 pm

I heard Phil was demanding part ownership of the franchise with exclusive power over personnel decisions. Think THAT hierarchy was gonna let that happen?
t-gator wrote:
Out of all those sperm cells I can't believe 561 one the race
MJMGator
Head Ball Coach

Postby Class of '78 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:38 pm

MJMGator wrote:I heard Phil was demanding part ownership of the franchise with exclusive power over personnel decisions. Think THAT hierarchy was gonna let that happen?

That point is being contested by Jackson and his agent as false, as part of what they believe was an orchestrated effort to discredit his bid to return to LA.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby NVGator » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:40 pm

My guess is Dwight didn't want him anyway. He preferred D'Antoni
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby Class of '78 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:44 pm

NVGator wrote:My guess is Dwight didn't want him anyway. He preferred D'Antoni

Howard came out and said he welcomed the opportunity to play for Jackson. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean it's the truth, and Jackson's triple-post offense -- the triangle -- might take away scoring opportunities from the big guy.

According to some reports, the Lakers were concerned about players not familiar with triangle, like Howard, having to go through a learning curve.
Class of '78
Bull Gator

Postby heversle » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:05 pm

Yeah, I thought the hiring of D'Antoni was a head scratcher. I seriously doubt if Kobe gets his 6th ring before he retires now. Mike D'Antoni-coached teams tend to be atrocious defensively.
heversle
Head Ball Coach

Postby wuerffelball7 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:17 pm

Class of '78 wrote:

Howard came out and said he welcomed the opportunity to play for Jackson. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean it's the truth, and Jackson's triple-post offense -- the triangle -- might take away scoring opportunities from the big guy.

According to some reports, the Lakers were concerned about players not familiar with triangle, like Howard, having to go through a learning curve.

Good point.
wuerffelball7
Senior Gator

Postby NVGator » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:33 pm

Class of '78 wrote:

Correct. I read that as well and kinda my point. Kobe and Pau were familiar, but the triangle doesn't fit Dwight nor Nash. With this lineup, Lakers want to run fast, not half court.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
John Wooden

Coach9 wrote:8-4 Should always be considered a bad year at Florida. That should be our lower limit. Undefeated down to 8-4 should be our window.
NVGator
Bull Gator

Postby LeftCoastGator » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:41 am

Lakers better hope Nash doesn't have any more issues with his leg or future injury...because you ain't running a D'Antoni offense without a legit point guard. Which Steve Blake is not. You don't need a great PG in the triangle. As a Warriors fan I'm ecstatic Phil isn't coming back, believe me.

We'll see what happens. None of these guys - save for Nash - are used to running wide-open offense in the NBA. I think a lot of people are making it out to be a foregone conclusion that D'Antoni will succeed.
LeftCoastGator
True Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:42 am

Class of '78 wrote:The oddest thing happened yesterday. The Lakers, who within the past week fired coach Mike Brown after a dismal start, did an about-face on their earlier offer to Phil Jackson "to think about it overnight" and instead offered the opening to Mike “Offense Wins Championships” D’Antoni. This is the same Phil Jackson who guided them to three championships after coaching the Bulls to six titles the previous decade.

According to Jackson, there was an informal understanding yesterday between he and the Lakers, who signed Dwight Howard in the offseason, that he had until today to decide if he was up to the rigors of the long NBA season. He thought it was his to turn down. At midnight Sunday, Jackson said, Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak called to let him know the team had decided instead to offer the job to D’Antoni.

What? That’s like the Niners pulling the rug on Bill Walsh in favor of Mike Martz. :lol:

STORY

Actually it was five championships.
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Return to Gatorsports Forum