Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], The RH Factor and 30 guests

Jimbo: No reason to have National Championship game

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Jimbo: No reason to have National Championship game

Postby oxrageous » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:18 pm

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... bcs-system

"I think it stinks," Fisher said. "I think the BCS and how we do it with these computers, I think we're ruining it. And the playoff isn't going to solve it, either. They've got to change how we pick the top teams in this country. It's not working. I think it was better in the old days when you did it by the eye test and you didn't have a championship game."

Discuss.
oxrageous

Re: Jimbo: No reason to have National Championship game

Postby Gator98MD » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:22 pm

The rest of the article was even scarier. That dude is out of touch with how his team and conference compare to others
Gator98MD
All-American Gator

Postby oxrageous » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:24 pm

Does he seriously think a bunch of hacks voting at the end of the season and picking a champion is more fair? He can't believe that.
oxrageous

Postby rogdochar » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:24 pm

Yeah ... my eye test says pre-choose the best 2 SEC teams to play
in the CG and make all other schools prove they deserve to bump
one of those teams ... yeah Jimbo, yeah.
rogdochar
Gatorsports Legend

Postby oxrageous » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:25 pm

I keep babbling on here but the "eye test" is more fair? Really?
oxrageous

Postby Noneya » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:27 pm

He's a goddamned idiot.

The computers are the only things that get things right because they are objective and they focus on what you've actually done rather than getting gaga over how a team looked.

Look, like it or not there is no justification for Bama being ahead of us. We beat LSU, A&M and SC. They beat LSU. Of course the only way to argue it is to subjectively say they looked better than us.

Sorry, I'd rather put teams in championship games based on who they actually performed against rather than some subjective guess based on how teams looked against lesser competition.
Last edited by Noneya on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noneya
Heisman Gator

Postby BMF » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:29 pm

I'm not sure which coach I'd enjoy punching in the face more: Jimbo or Kiffin!

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby Gatorbythebay » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:30 pm

Jimbo thinks the National Champion should be crowned by the media before the season starts, FSU would be untouchable in that case.
Gatorbythebay
Head Ball Coach

Postby shortcast » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:30 pm

oxrageous wrote:I keep babbling on here but the "eye test" is more fair? Really?

Wellll duh :exclaim: and yeah....that is of course if your wearing those garnet colored glasses :rolleyes: It's quite obvious Fisher is having some "reality" issues :lol:
"Apparently, I'm supposed to be more angry about what Mitt Romney does with his money than what Barack Obama does with mine." David Burge Iowa Blog
shortcast
Senior Gator

Postby bayou gator » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:31 pm

He knows that's the only way an ACC team will ever play in another title game.
P.S. - Don't feed the trolls!
bayou gator
Head Ball Coach

Postby soflagator » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:36 pm

bayou gator wrote:He knows that's the only way an ACC team will ever play in another title game.

This.

And he's pissed he waited 4 years to finally find this out. :lol:
soflagator
Bull Gator

Postby Maxxodd » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:42 pm

soflagator wrote:
bayou gator wrote:He knows that's the only way an ACC team will ever play in another title game.

This.

FSU would be in the national championship this year if they had not stumbled against NC State and they ran the rest of their schedule. He's just mad that he can't lose a game against University of Phoenix Online College or one of the other ACC schools and still get to go to the championship game. Someone needs to explain to Dumbo that you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Maxxodd
True Gator

Postby soflagator » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:51 pm

Maxxodd wrote:
soflagator wrote:

This.

FSU would be in the national championship this year if they had not stumbled against NC State and they ran the rest of their schedule. He's just mad that he can't lose a game against University of Phoenix Online College or one of the other ACC schools and still get to go to the championship game. Someone needs to explain to Dumbo that you can't have your cake and eat it too.

No question. He's pulling a Pete Carrol in his foot-stomping in mid-November. Nobody forced you to lose to OrgSt(NcSt) and you had to know coming in that the margin for error was minimal at best. You didn't get it done, and your conference brethren look like garbage as well.

But honestly, this is an off-year for the SEC because of the upset this weekend, which helps to open up a spot. With their SOS being what it is, they could've even found themselves on the outside if a B12 team or P12 team goes undefeated. Logically, if the Tide win out, including a drumming in Atl, who doesn't think they're more deserving than an undefeated ACC team?

However it's sliced, they're out, and he...well...

soflagator
Bull Gator

Postby bradgator2 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:21 pm

He believes the coaches poll is the way to go because coaches know more and are unbiased. He then reveals that he ranked FSU as #4 on his ballot.

There went his theory.
bradgator2
All-American Gator

Postby BMF » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:23 pm

soflagator wrote:
Maxxodd wrote:
soflagator wrote:

This.

No question. He's pulling a Pete Carrol in his foot-stomping in mid-November. Nobody forced you to lose to OrgSt(NcSt) and you had to know coming in that the margin for error was minimal at best. You didn't get it done, and your conference brethren look like garbage as well.

But honestly, this is an off-year for the SEC because of the upset this weekend, which helps to open up a spot. With their SOS being what it is, they could've even found themselves on the outside if a B12 team or P12 team goes undefeated. Logically, if the Tide win out, including a drumming in Atl, who doesn't think they're more deserving than an undefeated ACC team?

However it's sliced, they're out, and he...well...

I wouldn't call this an "off year". If anything, it's the best year the SEC has had in quite a while. 6 of the top 9 BCS teams are from the SEC. If anything, it's parity at it's finest...and exactly what the fear was in 1991 when they wanted to have an SEC Championship Game: that the SEC would beat each other up and then NO ONE from the conference would play for/win a National Championship. Going to 14 teams this year certainly has done that...as Texas A&M wouldn't be an SEC member had we not expanded.

---
BMF
Head Ball Coach

Postby Double Gator Dad » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:25 pm

Jimbo is right.

The system was much better when FSU could stroll through the cakewalk known as the ACC with the idiots on BSPN gushing over the fact that they scored 50+ points against Duke. You know kinda like they are doing this year.

Those were the days.

Ignore the idiot
Double Gator Dad
All-American Gator

Postby lagator » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:28 pm

He doesn't like a playoff because he knows the chance of his team ever finishing in the top 4 is slim and none.
lagator
Heisman Gator

Postby -THE DUDE- » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Gatorbythebay wrote:Jimbo thinks the National Champion should be crowned by the media before the season starts, FSU would be untouchable in that case.

Notre Dame would have a hell of a lot to say to the noles :lol: :lol:
-THE DUDE-
Head Ball Coach

Postby GulfG8r » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:41 pm

I really hope Muschamp, Pease, and Quinn come up with a plan to beat those a$$holes in 2 weeks.

The mighty Gators, ranked #6 and sporting a 10-1 record in the SEC do not need to get beaten in the erector set.
GulfG8r
Heisman Gator

Postby MatthewM. » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:45 pm

What a candy assed pus sy of a man
PigsEyeGator wrote:Right now I am so f'ing low that I would do MatthewM.
MatthewM.
Bull Gator

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum