Who is online

Users browsing this forum: -THE DUDE-, Gatorbythebay, GMDGator, Google [Bot], I Have No Friends :(, Jabberdave, JimtheGator, MJMGator, Sasquatch Gator, TheDouglas78, UFever and 58 guests

You guys may rip me up for this, but...

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

You guys may rip me up for this, but...

Postby heversle » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:59 am

How should we approach the Jacksonville State game?

OK. Before you ask me what the hell I'm talking about, understand what I mean:

I'm not sure any of us understand the extent of Driskel's injury. Ankle sprains can be minor or they can be severe (I believe there are 3 levels). I'm not sure how bad Jeff's sprain is. But, based on what we've heard thus far, I doubt he plays this week. That being said, how should the coaching staff proceed with Jacoby? I don't anticipate we'll have the kind of problems we had with Louisiana-Lafayette this week and I'm optimistic that we'll have a much better game. But, how should we operate offensively to prepare for FSU?

Should we let Jacoby air the ball out and try to play to his strengths as a pocket passer? Is the coaching staff willing to let him pass the ball and make plays downfield based on the current state of our O-LINE? If Jeff can't go against FSU, I'm convinced we're gonna need JB to make some plays in the passing game for us to walk out of Tallahassee with a win. After missing 10 games, he NEEDS the reps. Does Muschamp have enough confidence to put the game in Brissett's hands, even against a cupcake like Jacksonville State?

Or should we just take the "we are what we are" approach and operate with a run-first mentality? Is it better to play it safe and simply allow Brissett to "manage" the game and only pass when necessary?

I'm not suggesting that Pease should go rogue and have Brissett pass the ball 40 times against J-Ville St, but his lack of reps at this point of the season is disconcerting with the Noles coming up in two weeks.

Maybe I'm way off base with this thread, but what should the strategy be going forward?
heversle
Head Ball Coach

Re: You guys may rip me up for this, but...

Postby mrgator » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:19 am

It's not a bad strategy perhaps but you always go with your strength. We are not going to be slinging the ball around against FSU so as an offense we have to be run first, protect the ball and make a few passing plays when you need to. Jacoby knows how to throw the football and he will get plenty of chances in the game. Assuming Driskel isn't good to go Saturday that is.

If Jacoby starts, he needs to get practice running the offense that we run. He needs to run the offense he has been practicing for the past 10 months. Run first, manage the game and throw a few deep balls to keep the defense honest.
mrgator
Heisman Gator

Postby TN G8tr » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:22 am

Get the guys that need rest, rest. Heal the injuries. Playing time for those that need it and sit the others after a few reps. Let JB deal with this week. If JD can go then only limited time. Work on the stupid mistakes.

I also wondered the other day if UF had not somewhere in the scheme of things already been prepping for FSUck, rather than all eyes on ULL?
"Wake her *** up, we got a game to play."
TN G8tr
Bull Gator

Postby -THE DUDE- » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:30 am

i seriously doubt that a Will Muschamp coached team will ever really "air it out" so not sure we will see that. We may see more passing to get some work in knowing we will have to make plays in the passing game to beat fsu but we are what we are and that is an offense that requires the QB to be a game manager at this point. Run the ball and make a few passing plays when needed. We don't have the Oline to be a passing team and really we can't gauge either of the QB's and how good they are at passing with a crap oline and even worse WR corps.
-THE DUDE-
Head Ball Coach

Postby Gator Fever » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:40 am

We need to air it out some to give Jacoby some experience prior to the FSU game. If Driskel is only 80% or so for FSU he will hurt us more than help us imo without the threat of him running much.
" But understand we are not changing who we are philosophically on offense" - Coach Will Muschamp...
Gator Fever
Bull Gator

Postby law98gator » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:53 am

mrgator wrote:It's not a bad strategy perhaps but you always go with your strength.

Our strength? Punting?
ufgator812. wrote:Fvck them all. Fvck Richt, Herschel, Will Muschamp, Larry Munson, Deborah Norville, Lindsey Scott (fvck him twice), Vince Dooley (and all of his family, friends and neighbors), R.E.M and the B-52's... Yes, Fvck them all.
law98gator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby gatorgi » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:11 am

The Gator O.C. (whom I have believed in since the Tennessee game), is begining to make me wonder why I did... I would NEVER go ''no-back set'' when the Offensive line is banged-up as badly as Florida's presently is...The passing game is there, in certain situations (Reed, Dunbar for DEEP balls & Hammond for short gains) but NEVER leave J.B. or Driskel back there, alone without help....please! Or else, against F.S.U., we'll be wondering who is Florida's 3rd string Q.B. -just saying...GO GATORS!
Last edited by gatorgi on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
gatorgi
Baby Gator

Postby g8trs99 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:12 am

When Jeff walked off the field in the 3rd qtr and into the locker room, I did not even detect a limp. He was net even getting assistance. I can't imagine it being that bad of a sprain. Take it for what it's worth. I know once the tape comes off swelling will set in, but this was not a Brantley type sprain.

Brissett is a serviceable qb, but our running game will suffer with him in. He is no threat to the defense to keep the ball. Gilly will be even less effective. Brissett being a good passer is not going help as our receivers are just guys. Outside of Reed and Dunbar, we have guys. You could probably go down to the SW Rec Center and find just about the same guys outside of those two. I feel sorry for the QBs. Hines is like a running back more than a receiver, I think he has actually gotten shorter this year. Burton is serviceable, but scares no one. Hammond is no longer even reliable. Without JD scooting down the sideline for a 25-30 yard gain it could be even more painful to watch Brissett being killed by the FSU pass rush in two weeks.
g8trs99
True Gator

Postby buck16 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:48 am

I started to stay out of these conversations but here goes. On Saturday I counted 9 Rajin Cajuns within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage at the snap. From there they ran stunts and twist using all nine players.

You see they had no concern about getting beat deep because Driskel is not identifying where the pass should go before the snap. Therefore when he looks around for a receiver the rush is almost on him. Plus he has to get set and try to step into the throw. By this time someone is on top of his.

Driskel cannot run because there are too many guys around the line of scrimmage. Teams have figured this out and they are going to bring heat on Driskel. That's why our offense looks so bad.

The qb must have an idea where the ball ill go pre-snap. He then must release in rhythm, a pass, that is longer than 5 yards. Until this happens we are in trouble. Teams are going to stack the los and tell Driskel to beat them.

Some of this is on the coaches because all they are running are swing passes and 5 yard curls.
buck16
Senior Gator

Postby g8trs99 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:59 am

buck16 wrote:I started to stay out of these conversations but here goes. On Saturday I counted 9 Rajin Cajuns within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage at the snap. From there they ran stunts and twist using all nine players.

You see they had no concern about getting beat deep because Driskel is not identifying where the pass should go before the snap. Therefore when he looks around for a receiver the rush is almost on him. Plus he has to get set and try to step into the throw. By this time someone is on top of his.

Driskel cannot run because there are too many guys around the line of scrimmage. Teams have figured this out and they are going to bring heat on Driskel. That's why our offense looks so bad.

The qb must have an idea where the ball ill go pre-snap. He then must release in rhythm, a pass, that is longer than 5 yards. Until this happens we are in trouble. Teams are going to stack the los and tell Driskel to beat them.

Some of this is on the coaches because all they are running are swing passes and 5 yard curls.

Pre-snap blah blah.
Did you miss the part where he has 1 second to throw or be smacked in the face by a defensive lineman. Hence, there is not time to complete a route over 7 yards. Reed was running free down the seam early in the game, but Jeff was running for his life and did not see him.
They have no concern about getting beat deep because they know they can get consistant pressure. You may not know this, but the way to beat pressure / blitzing is to throw screens and short passes. Mainly because you don't have time to hold the ball, but you can you the defense's rush against them. You are speaking out of both sides of your mouth.
When a qb identifies where the pass should go pre-snap that is more of a read react hot route type read. That is not a throw it 40 yards down the field type pass. You would never have time if someone is blitzing.
g8trs99
True Gator

Postby mrgator » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:23 am

law98gator wrote:
mrgator wrote:It's not a bad strategy perhaps but you always go with your strength.

Our strength? Punting?

:lol:

:cry:

I think there is something to be said for a team that uses ball control and limits turnovers. But we have regressed and/or the defenses have figured us out as another poster mentioned. Having half of our Oline hurting hasn't helped us during the second half of the season either. It seems like Nixon, Wilson and now Silberman have all been playing hurt or not playing at all for several games in a row. You just can't expect to lose an entire starting side of an offensive line (both seniors) and expect to keep up your production.
mrgator
Heisman Gator

Postby buck16 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:24 am

Look. If you rush 6 against 5, you will get constant quick pressure. Especially when the six are not the same six every time. It becomes worse when they bring seven. You cannot beat this consistently if you havew five all-conference linemen. It is called numbers.

Your QB and WRs must identify what is happening and run fly patterns or break off the route and run for open spaces. I am not trying to single out Driskel but the QB must recognize the coverage and adjust. You do not have much time when they rush more men than you have blocking them. Curl patterns do not help much either because the receiver stops and wait for the ball. This give defenders time to recover.

You run seam routes like the one Brissett connected with Reed or the ones where Hammond and Dunbar almost made. A few connections and they will give you some respect. But it's not going to happen until our QBs see the play before the snap and get rid of the pass quickly.
buck16
Senior Gator

Postby -THE DUDE- » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:28 am

buck16 wrote:Look. If you rush 6 against 5, you will get constant quick pressure. Especially when the six are not the same six every time. It becomes worse when they bring seven. You cannot beat this consistently if you havew five all-conference linemen. It is called numbers.

Your QB and WRs must identify what is happening and run fly patterns or break off the route and run for open spaces. I am not trying to single out Driskel but the QB must recognize the coverage and adjust. You do not have much time when they rush more men than you have blocking them. Curl patterns do not help much either because the receiver stops and wait for the ball. This give defenders time to recover.

You run seam routes like the one Driskel and Brissett connected with Reed or the ones where Hammond and Dunbar almost made. A few connections and they will give you some respect. But it's not going to happen until our QBs see the play before the snap and get rid of the pass quickly.

Fixed. The biggest problem is that our oline is terrible and our receivers are worse. You can scheme it up any way you want but if our WR can't get seperation it doesn't matter what patterns or route combinations you run. Our receivers are god awful...and the blitzes/stacking the box works because not even ULL respects our receivers and are willing to let their DB's go 1 on 1 with them.
-THE DUDE-
Head Ball Coach

Postby ufgator812. » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:42 am

law98gator wrote:

Our strength? Punting?

Yep. That's what he meant by "air it out".
"Victory at all cost. Victory in spite of all terror. Victory no matter how long and how hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival." --Winston Churchill
May 13, 1940 GOD BLESS
ufgator812.
Heisman Gator

Postby f18bundy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:43 am

law98gator wrote:

Our strength? Punting?

:vols:
f18bundy
True Gator

Postby Ga Gator » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:46 am

I kind of laugh at some of the morons who posted earlier in the year that Driskel might be another Tebow. You think Tebow would have unsnapped his helmet shaking his head no and walked off the field after hurting his ankle? The P word comes to mind.
Ga Gator
Senior Gator

Postby scmike » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:52 am

At this stage of the season, the O line should be better regardless of injuries. They keep getting worse, and that falls on "poor coaching". I am not down on Will Muschamp, but Coach Pease may not be suited for the grind of the SEC because he keeps giving these post game b.s. stories rather than showing progress. He is starting to sound like "I will fix it Zook". Maybe he needs to go back to Boise. The last great O Coord we had was SOS. Mullen was also very good, but everyone after him has under achieved. Addaz and Weiss were awful. The talent level on the O side of the ball cannot be as bad as we are seeing these days. Go Gators!
scmike
Senior Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:57 am

Ga Gator wrote:You think Tebow would have unsnapped his helmet shaking his head no and walked off the field after hurting his ankle? The P word comes to mind.

Dumb post. :facepalm:
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby f18bundy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:03 pm

buck16 wrote:Look. If you rush 6 against 5, you will get constant quick pressure. Especially when the six are not the same six every time. It becomes worse when they bring seven. You cannot beat this consistently if you havew five all-conference linemen. It is called numbers.

You run seam routes like the one Brissett connected with Reed or the ones where Hammond and Dunbar almost made. A few connections and they will give you some respect. But it's not going to happen until our QBs see the play before the snap and get rid of the pass quickly.

Well said. I tried to make this point in another post (Defending the O-Line) but you've done it more clearly. Ultimately the QB has to make them pay for blitzing or there is no reason not to blitz all the time. Made easier when you have a predictable offensive play calling pattern: 1st & 2nd down runs followed by a 3rd and long pass attempt. RBs & TE can help but if you can't slip them out into a pass route, you will have difficulty punishing a blitzing Defense.
f18bundy
True Gator

Postby oxrageous » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:15 pm

g8trs99 wrote:Brissett is a serviceable qb, but our running game will suffer with him in. He is no threat to the defense to keep the ball. Gilly will be even less effective. Brissett being a good passer is not going help as our receivers are just guys. Outside of Reed and Dunbar, we have guys. You could probably go down to the SW Rec Center and find just about the same guys outside of those two. I feel sorry for the QBs. Hines is like a running back more than a receiver, I think he has actually gotten shorter this year. Burton is serviceable, but scares no one. Hammond is no longer even reliable. Without JD scooting down the sideline for a 25-30 yard gain it could be even more painful to watch Brissett being killed by the FSU pass rush in two weeks.

Have you ever watched Drew Brees, Tom Brady, or even Peyton Manning? They can't run a lick. However, they open up the running game because defenses have to respect what they can do through the air. If Brissett can consistently make downfield throws, our running game is going to be just fine.

I'm not sure why a perception has developed that you have to have a running QB to win games. Most winning QB's cannot run.
oxrageous

Next

Return to Gatorsports Forum