Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CarolinaMtnGator, Hoosier Gator, MSNbot Media and 32 guests

ACC is crap, stats to prove it

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Moderator, Site Administrators

ACC is crap, stats to prove it

Postby Gator-DNA » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:29 pm

With the final showdown looming on the horizon, the roar from that pile of monkey dung west of us is becoming unbearable. FSU fans have gone from chanting "who are we playing for the NC?" to "BCS is a crap system, no way we should be ranked #10". They have become the new Boise St of cfb, desperately trying to convince everyone why they should have a shot. They've joined the likes of all other conferences saying "SEC is overrated". I looked at some records, here's what I found.

ACC
12 teams, 120 games played
Atlantic division:
Overall record 35-25, avg win pct: 0.583
Best: FSU, Clemson @ 9-1
Coastal division:
Overall record 30-30, avg win pct: 0.500
Best: Duke, NC @ 6-4 (Miami projected to play in ACCcg, currently 5-5)
VS top 25: 2-18 (FSU over Clemson, NCst over FSU :lol: )

SEC
14 teams, 140 games played
East:
Overall record 42-28, avg win pct: 0.600
Best: UF 9-1, GA 9-1, SC 8-2
West:
Overall record 43-27, avg win pct: 0.614
Best: Al 9-1, LSU 8-2, A&M 8-2
VS top 25: East 5-21, West 8-21
For fun I dropped the 2 worst records off each division (UK 1-9, Aub 2-8) to base the SEC as a 12 team conference, divisions records were even at 41-19. How's that for parity?

All this is great, but 6 SEC teams in the top 9 of the BCS? That can't be right. But after looking, the truth is, who else are you going to put up there?
PAC-12: OrSt 7-2, UCLA 8-2? Nope
Big-12: TX 8-2, OU 7-2? Nope. OU has a legit argument losing only to #1 KSU and #3 ND
Big 10: OSU-inelligible, Neb 8-2? Nope

So it is what it is. The SEC is the best conference out there. Media darlings, yes. Overrated, I beg to differ.

I know we have one more game before taking on FSU, and at this point it's not a given W, but I fully expect us to be 10-1 going in to that game. I know it will be a tough game against FSU, but I really don't want to wait another year to shut these people up. Hope the team plays loose, and Muschamp unleashes holy hell for the finale in Tallahassee.
Gator-DNA
Senior Gator

Re: ACC is crap, stats to prove it

Postby Kurtis Lowe » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:28 am

Stats not necessary.

They suck.
Because the ACC just doesn't prepare you.
Kurtis Lowe
All-American Gator

Postby Chomper » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:36 am

The ACC has become a ridiculous geographic hodge-podge with a quality of play little better than the MAC. And the entire cfb world knows it. :cool:
UGa butt-sniffers love Will Muschamp. Are you with them, or against them?
Chomper
Senior Gator

Postby Okeechobee Joe » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:27 am

The ACC thought by adding Boston College and the Florida schools it would expand their television market. Buy instead bringing in teams like Boston College just makes the geographic area too big to cover and the conference loses its geographical and cultural cohesiveness. The ACC expanded their television market all right. The only problem is nobody wants to watch it.

The ACC thought by bringing in Miami and FSU that these schools would make the ACC a stronger football conference. The thinking was that the ACC schools (with the exception of Clemson and Virginia Tech) would improve in football. Just the opposite happened. Miami and FSU did not make the ACC a stronger football conference. Instead of the ACC becoming stronger in football, the football programs at Miami and FSU got weaker by being in the ACC. The went down to the ACC's level.

The Florida State fan base does not want to watch games against Boston College, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, Maryland etc. Now if you were bringing teams like Auburn, Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Tennessee into Tallahassee then you would see excitement build. Games against lower tier SEC schools like Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, even Kentucky would create more interest than the ACC schedule because it would be games against SEC schools that would count in the SEC race.

The SEC is just a better product in football than the ACC. I am not just talking about the strengths of the teams. I am talking about more rabid fan bases, louder stadiums, more money, more television, more interest, more heated rivalries.
Okeechobee Joe
Heisman Gator

Postby WobbleGator » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:23 am

Kurtis Lowe wrote:Stats not necessary.

They suck.

+1
WobbleGator
Gatorsports Legend

Postby Gator-DNA » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:21 am

Kurtis Lowe wrote:Stats not necessary.

They suck.

I agree. I was just venting more or less, and the numbers made me laugh. I figured most on here was already in the know. :lol:
Gator-DNA
Senior Gator

Postby SwampedGator » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:35 am

Okeechobee Joe wrote:The ACC thought by adding Boston College and the Florida schools it would expand their television market. Buy instead bringing in teams like Boston College just makes the geographic area too big to cover and the conference loses its geographical and cultural cohesiveness. The ACC expanded their television market all right. The only problem is nobody wants to watch it.

The ACC thought by bringing in Miami and FSU that these schools would make the ACC a stronger football conference. The thinking was that the ACC schools (with the exception of Clemson and Virginia Tech) would improve in football. Just the opposite happened. Miami and FSU did not make the ACC a stronger football conference. Instead of the ACC becoming stronger in football, the football programs at Miami and FSU got weaker by being in the ACC. The went down to the ACC's level.

The Florida State fan base does not want to watch games against Boston College, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, Maryland etc. Now if you were bringing teams like Auburn, Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Tennessee into Tallahassee then you would see excitement build. Games against lower tier SEC schools like Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, even Kentucky would create more interest than the ACC schedule because it would be games against SEC schools that would count in the SEC race.

The SEC is just a better product in football than the ACC. I am not just talking about the strengths of the teams. I am talking about more rabid fan bases, louder stadiums, more money, more television, more interest, more heated rivalries.

You're right, Tennessee would be a perfect fit in the ACC.
SwampedGator
Heisman Gator

Return to Gatorsports Forum