Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cover2, dz_23, Gatorious, Google Adsense [Bot], MJMGator, MSNbot Media, NoGaGator, swampfuel, Wait ’til next year, Yahoo [Bot] and 75 guests

Rational Analysis of the SEC

A sports-bar atmosphere where Gators, Noles, Vols, Dawgs and other fans can meet and discuss various topics in the sports world. We reserve the right to reject any registration.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Moderator

Rational Analysis of the SEC

Postby Ancient Reptile » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:11 pm

We all know that the Gators win ugly. The win Saturday against ULL was horrid. The national commentators know it and dismiss the Gators. "Sleepwalking" is the nicest thing said about them in the past few weeks. But what about the record? Someone (Bill Parcells?) said "You are what your record says." What does the Gator record say? If you examine the Gator record, either wins, losses, or (preferably) both you get a clear answer.

Look at the six SEC teams that have lost no more than twice. First from losses.

FIRST CUT AT RANKING ON LOSSES

1. UF--one loss to a one loss team.
2/3. UA--one loss to a two loss team.
2/3. UGA--one loss to a two loss team.
4. LSU--two losses to one loss teams.
5/6.aTm--one loss to a one loss team; one to a 2 loss team.
5/6. USC--one loss to a one loss team; one to a 2 loss team.

FIRST CUT AT RANKING ON WINS

1. UF--3 wins over 2 loss teams (aTm, USC, & LSU).
2/3/4. UGA--1 win over a 1 loss team (UF)
2/3/4. aTm--1 win over a 1 loss team (UA).
2/3/4. USC--1 win over a 1 loss team (UGA)
5/6. UA--1 win over a 2 loss team (LSU).
5/6. LSU--1 win over a 2 loss team (USC).

SECOND CUT ALLOWING FOR QUALITY OF LOSSES
1.UF
2.UGA
3.UA
4. LSU
5. USC
6.aTm

SECOND CUT ALLOWING FOR QUALITY OF WINS
1. UF
2. UGA
3. USC
4. aTm
5. UA
6. LSU

OVERALL RANKINGS
1. UF
2. UGA
3. UA
4. LSU
5. USC
6. aTm

Again, feel free to talk about how bad our offense is, the closeness of our victories are whatever; but IF one goes on the won/loss record--you are what your record is--the UF won/loss record is the best in the SEC. Should we beat FSU, our margin will be huge. UGA play GaTech, UA plays Auburn, USC does play Clemson but they lost to FSU.
Last edited by Ancient Reptile on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient Reptile
Heisman Gator

Re: Rational Analysis of the SEC

Postby GatorInKnox » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:13 pm

That's the most unscientific ranking I've ever seen. But we come out on top so I like it!
GatorInKnox
Head Ball Coach

Postby mtn2top » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:11 pm

Great points Ancient. It all hinges on winning the rest of our games.
Hi-Altitude Gators

mtn2top
Head Ball Coach

Postby ccsdk » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:33 am

We will be ready for the Noles. Our defense will be stellar and our offense will be healthy. Pease will have it well scripted and will find a rhythm. Everyone will be psyched for this game and it will be televised.
Can't wait.
GG
ccsdk
Senior Gator

Postby ReelGatorDoc » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:43 am

I've heard directly from Coach Muschamp that we "need to clean up some things"

shhhhhhhhhhhhhh
It's Great to be a Florida GATOR!
ReelGatorDoc
Head Ball Coach

Postby Homer J » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:28 am

Take a look at this weeks BCS rankings and tell me who has the best resume' ? We lost to the #5 team in the country, who lost to the #8 team in the country. We have beaten the #7, 8 & 9 team in the country and we will play #10 in two weeks.

And we are #6 in the country with a 9-1 record and we still have zero offensive production.

BTW - does anyone know where I can find a Florida Gator - 2012 SEC East Co-Champions t-shirt? I have been driving my co-workers crazy tell them (Dawg fans) that they are only co-champs.

This is from their 2007 year.

http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-foo ... 08aaa.html
Homer J
Head Ball Coach

Postby scmike » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:18 am

Our guys need to clean up their act (penalties and lousy execution on offense) against Jax St. with respect to penalties and beat FSU. After 10 games one would assume that the offensive line would block better - not so this year. The cards will then fall based on how others do in their final games. If our offense wakes up during the next 2 games, and our defense continues to play at an excellent level, the team will be in great shape for a BCS bowl. If we stink up the Swamp, but win this Saturday and loose in Tally, we will have a good overall record (10-2), but we will be in an "also ran" bowl. Go Gators -with next 2 games!
scmike
Senior Gator

Postby vulcan_alex » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:31 am

You are what your process is, not just the results. We have been very lucky and luck will run out eventually. Even our great D and special teams have struggled at times almost costing us games that we should have easily won.
I am a "Vulcan" and try hard to keep things logical and without emotion. However as a "Vulcan" I have a highly emotional reaction mode for special occasions.
UF 1973 Physics
Miami Carol City
Financial Planning / Quality
Tn
vulcan_alex
Bull Gator

Postby travy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:44 am

we are like the blind date who is hot on paper but then shows up with crossed eyes and a bad laugh.. having said that, we pull it together against fsu and we've gotta be the best one loss team in the nation on paper which could really help us climb up the bcs pecking order. bunch of teams lose and who knows?

having said that, i'm not so confident against the noles
travy
True Gator

Postby Ancient Reptile » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:04 pm

GatorInKnox wrote:That's the most unscientific ranking I've ever seen. But we come out on top so I like it!

I appreciate your response, Knox, but --short of using a computer--it is a very scientific ranking. It does the same sort of thing that computers do only they do it with all the games for all the teams in the country. It fact, the simple ranking system I used compares favorably (spectacularly?) with the computer rankings. Your response, Knox, motivated me to compare my ranking with the computers:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... notre-dame

My Ranking Computers
1. UF 1. UF
2. UGA 2. UGA
3. UA 3. LSU
4. LSU 4. USC
5. USC 5. UA
6. aTm 6. aTm

As you can see, only Bama is out of place in my rankings. Everything else is in perfect agreement with the "scientific" computers.

Vulcan, you are absolutely entitled to believe that it is the means (process) and not the results (won/loss record) that matters. I would only say that it is easy to deceive oneself with a good story about "process"--in fact virtually every cfb expert on TV does that on a daily basis.

To those of you who pointed out the obvious problems with our Gator team, you are absolutely correct. It still doesn't change the fact that we have the best record in the SEC.
Ancient Reptile
Heisman Gator

Return to Gatorsports Forum